Warstory: Don't be too conservative!

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I apologize for my 4 months of absence, but I'm back baby! Presenting you all with a much-anticipated warstory by yours truly!

There's something to be learned in each battle, and as per the title, it isn't always the best idea to keep your pokemon alive for long, or even for more than a couple of turns. Now I'm not saying you should just take your Custap Golem and go BOOM all the time, but be sure to assess the situation before making your move. "Would it be wise to do so? Do I still need this?" These are questions that should come to mind whenever you consider saccing a pokemon, so choose carefully...

...But you're not here to see walls of text are you? NO, you're here to watch a battle, and by golly I'll give you one! Those of you who are waiting deserve it. Enjoy! ;)

Punchshroom joined.

Aperture Science joined.

Format:

NU

Rated battle
Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep

Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon

OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned

Moody Clause: Moody is banned

Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned

HP Percentage Mod: HP is reported as percentages

Evasion Abilities Clause: Evasion abilities are banned

Punchshroom's team:
/
/
/
/
/

Aperture Science's team:
/
/
/
/
/

So I am using a stall team, because that is how I roll. The opponent's team however doesn't look very stall-friendly at all: a popular wallbreaker , NU's strongest Ice-type alongside NU's strongest Fighting-type, 2 notoriously powerful Normal-types and a bulky pivot that has moves in Heal Bell and Moonlight that is super annoying for stall to take down. This will be tough.

Battle between Punchshroom and Aperture Science started!

Go! Scolipede!

Aperture Science sent out Eelektross!

Right away I saw a weakness to Toxic Spikes, so I make haste to lead off with Scolipede. In turn, my opponent leads off with Eelektross which harasses stall. Scolipede could be used to tank Fighting attacks from Sawk to relieve the burden off Misdreavus and use that opportunity to set up both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, but that opportunity can be tough to come by. Besides, since I used a bulky Scolipede, I believed at the time I could survive an unboosted Flamethrower, or he would, on the off chance, use another move to predict a switch-in. I go for Toxic Spikes straight away.

Turn 1 (5-6)

Scolipede used Toxic Spikes!

Poison spikes were scattered all around the feet of the foe's team!

The foe's Eelektross used Flamethrower!

It's super effective! Scolipede lost 100% of its health!

Scolipede fainted!

Go! Lickilicky!

0%
100%
100%

An early 5-6 lead may seem bad, but Scolipede has done its job. The easy OHKO led me to believe it was Specs at the time, so I switched in Lickilicky. I had a hunch that he could be bluffing and just Superpower me, but since I am at good health going for that now would not reap too much reward for him as opposed to an outright KO. Predicting a switch, I use Dragon Tail to rack up poison on his team.

Turn 2 (5-6)

Aperture Science withdrew Eelektross!

Aperture Science sent out Ursaring!

The foe's Ursaring was poisoned!

Lickilicky used Dragon Tail!

The foe's Ursaring lost 16% of its health!

Musharna was dragged out!

The foe's Musharna was poisoned!

The foe's Musharna was hurt by poison!

100%
88%
84%
100%

Ursaring barges in and gets its Facade pumped up by poison, only to get smacked out by Dragon Tail. Musharna comes in and I am fairly delighted as it cannot do anything to me, so I just click Dragon Tail again to poison everyone (but Eelektross).

Turn 3 (5-6)

The foe's Musharna used Thunder Wave!

Lickilicky is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Lickilicky is paralyzed! It can't move!

The foe's Musharna restored HP using its Leftovers!

100%
82%

Musharna decides to leave a nasty parting gift before I phaze it out, which doesn't happen because of full paralysis. Undeterred, I proceed to Dragon Tail again, knowing it would just Thunder Wave me again should I Heal Bell.

Turn 4 (5-6)

Aperture Science withdrew Musharna!

Aperture Science sent out Ursaring!

Lickilicky is paralyzed! It can't move!

The foe's Ursaring was hurt by poison!

100%
72%
82%
Oh great, Papa Bear gets it scotfree and I have nothing to show for it, not even a Wish. I am pretty scared now, but Ursaring would have to predict well too if it wants to damage my team. Anticipating a Crunch, I stay in and get ready to force it out.

Turn 5 (5-6)

The foe's Ursaring used Facade!

Lickilicky lost 56.6% of its health!

The foe's Ursaring avoided the attack!

Lickilicky restored HP using its Leftovers!

50%
59%

Well great. At least it is not Guts, but Facade takes a good chunk of my health away and I miss. Get it together Licky! Risking the paralysis chance in hopes that he would not go for Facade or Close Combat, I Protect to scout its move and get much needed health back.

Turn 6 (5-6)

Lickilicky used Protect!

Lickilicky protected itself!

The foe's Ursaring used Fire Punch!

56%
47%

Fire Punch is an interesting move to see, but it does mean Metang won't be able to come in scotfree. Believing that this guy sees Metang as the greater threat to him (which is true because my Misdreavus does not have Foul Play), I use this newfound knowledge to make my switch into Missy.

Turn 7 (5-6)

Lickilicky, come back!

Go! Misdreavus!

The foe's Ursaring used Facade!

It doesn't affect Misdreavus...

56%
100%
34%

Hey presto, I get a free switch, while Ursaring gets worn down quickly. My Metang has Bullet Punch, so I just have to make one more correct prediction and KO him before he does any more damage to me.

Turn 8 (5-6)

Misdreavus, come back!

Go! Metang!

The foe's Ursaring used Crunch!

Metang lost 21.3% of its health!

100%
79%
22%

Metang brushes off the Crunch easily, and Ursaring looks to be in KO range. With plenty of Attack investment and an Adamant nature, I'm hoping this Bullet Punch will pick him off.

Turn 9 (5-5)

Metang used Bullet Punch!

The foe's Ursaring lost 20% of its health!

The foe's Ursaring used Fire Punch!

It's super effective! Metang lost 38.9% of its health!

The foe's Ursaring fainted!

40%
100%
0%
Ouch, that could have gone smoother, though I'm not complaining since it could have gone a lot worse. Unfortunately the best thing I can do to Eelektross right now is using Toxic on it, since wearing it down that way will prove invaluable given its immunity to Toxic Spikes.

Turn 10 (4-5)

Metang used Toxic!

The foe's Eelektross was badly poisoned!

The foe's Eelektross used Flamethrower!

It's super effective! Metang lost 39.8% of its health!

Metang fainted!

The foe's Eelektross was hurt by poison!

Go! Lickilicky!

0%
56%
94%

It's a pity I have to sac Metang like that, but getting every bit of damage on Eelektross is crucial. I know Musharna almost definitely has Heal Bell, but he'd have to go for it, while I can use that turn to set up Stealth Rock with Seismitoad or switch to Liepard to wreck his entire team. You could say I'm luring out Musharna to ready myself.

Turn 11 (4-5)

Aperture Science withdrew Eelektross!

Aperture Science sent out Sawk!

The foe's Sawk was poisoned!

The foe's Sawk breaks the mold!

Lickilicky used Heal Bell!

A bell chimed!

The foe's Sawk was hurt by poison!

62%
88%
94%

Eelektross, as well as Musharna, are the best opportunities to Heal Bell. Admittedly I took a huge risk due to the possibility of Superpower, but I still had Liepard as backup if it comes down to that, either by Substalling poison from Eelektross or Foul Playing the rest of his team. Anyway, Sawk comes in and is ready to smack some pokemon left and right. Too bad I can telegraph its move with Protect, so I can make the appropriate switch.

Turn 12 (4-5)

Lickilicky used Protect!

The foe's Sawk used Close Combat!

68%
76%

So a Close Combat is coming. Saccing Lickilicky would not be beneficial as it is my best stop to Eelektross right now, not to mention I have a perfectly good Fighting switch-in in Misdreavus.

Turn 13 (4-5)

Aperture Science withdrew Sawk!

Aperture Science sent out Glaceon!

The foe's Glaceon was poisoned!

Lickilicky, come back!

Go! Misdreavus!

The foe's Glaceon was hurt by poison!

68%
100%
88%
76%

Ah balls, he switched out to the other most powerful pokemon on his team, though this pretty much confirms that Sawk is Choiced if he were to predict my switch-in like that. Greatly fearing a powerful Ice Beam or Shadow Ball, I brace for impact by Pain Splitting as soon as the attack connects.

Turn 14 (4-5)

The foe's Glaceon used Ice Beam!

Misdreavus lost 38.9% of its health!

Misdreavus used Pain Split!

The battlers shared their pain!

68%
69%

Well that didn't do as much as I thought. I'm relieved knowing it isn't Specsed, but I didn't deal as much damage to it with Pain Split and it's still hitting me with Ice Beams. I plan to smack it with Shadow Ball before getting the hell out of dodge.

Turn 15 (4-5)

Misdreavus lost 38.3% of its health!

Misdreavus was frozen solid!

Misdreavus is frozen solid!

30%
57%

Shit, plan B. Even though Missy can't defend herself, I still want to keep her to deter Sawk from spamming Close Combat on me, as it is far too healthy to stall out with poison alone. I do have my specially defensive Seismitoad as backup, knowing that the un-Specsed Glaceon would be my best shot at setting up Stealth Rock.

Turn 16 (4-5)

Misdreavus, come back!

Go! Seismitoad!

Seismitoad lost 33.9% of its health!

Seismitoad restored HP using its Leftovers!

30%
73%
44%

The Ice Beam deals a solid chunk, but looks to be a 4HKO with Leftovers, which is comforting news. Knowing I can survive even a crit, I set up Stealth Rock without hindrance. In the event that it freezes me again, I can thaw myself out with Scald and KO, though this would mean no Rocks.

Turn 17 (4-5)

Seismitoad lost 35.2% of its health!

Seismitoad used Stealth Rock!

Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!

44%
32%

Success! Since I'm still going strong with Toad, I might as well land the finishing blow.

Turn 18 (4-4)

Seismitoad lost 39.7% of its health!

Seismitoad used Scald!

The foe's Glaceon lost 30% of its health!

The foe's Glaceon fainted!

Aperture Science sent out Slaking!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Slaking!

The foe's Slaking was poisoned!

10%
88%
0%
Poison really went a long way in helping me beat Glaceon, otherwise things could've gotten ugly. Slaking shows itself, and I know it carries Pursuit for Jynx or heavily weakened pokemon like my Seismitoad here. He probably wanted Toad out of the way since it can stop Eelektross's STAB, while Giga Drain won't net health gain due to Seismitoad being near dead.

Turn 19 (3-4)

The foe's Slaking used Pursuit!

Seismitoad lost 10.0% of its health!

Seismitoad fainted!

The foe's Slaking was hurt by poison!

Go! Lickilicky!

0%
68%
76%

The obvious downside to using Slaking is the free turn it gives to opponents. I see an opportunity to thaw my frozen Misdreavus, and I'm darn well about to take it.

Turn 20 (3-4)

Aperture Science withdrew Slaking!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Sawk!

A bell chimed!

30%
75%
57%
76%
Sawk comes out again as I heal Misdreavus. There really is no risk in using Protect since I can gain health, while his attack is revealed and he loses health.

Turn 21 (3-4)

Aperture Science withdrew Sawk!

Aperture Science sent out Musharna!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Musharna!

Lickilicky used Protect!

But it failed!

81%
63%
57%

The switch to Musharna was somewhat puzzling, since his Sawk took a bit of damage for no reason. Again, I preceive no immediate threat from Musharna so I phaze it out again, and this time I have SR on my his side.

Turn 22 (3-4)

The foe's Musharna avoided the attack!

87%
57%

Unfortunately I miss my Dragon Tail. Since it has already paralyzed me, I wasn't sure what Musharna could do to me, though I really should have expected this...

Turn 23 (3-4)

The foe's Musharna used Heal Bell!

A bell chimed!

A bell chimed!

93%
63%
94%

Whoops, not only had I missed a golden opportunity to get Liepard in, but Eelektross is cured of the poison now. I decided to focus on Eel later and phaze out the rest of his team.

Turn 24 (3-4)

The foe's Musharna lost 7.0% of its health!

Eelektross was dragged out!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Eelektross!

99%
82%
56%

As if to rub it in my face, Eelektross comes straight out to mock me, though at least Stealth Rock is now present to hurt it each time it comes in. It also presents itself as Heal Bell fodder, so why not?

Turn 25 (3-4)

The foe's Eelektross used Acid Spray!

Lickilicky lost 8.0% of its health!

Lickilicky's Special Defense harshly fell!

A bell chimed!

97%
0.5x SpD
82%

Oh, Acid Spray. It doesn't look that bad now, but if Eel is the last pokemon standing, it can beat Lickilicky with Acid Spray + Giga Drain while my Dragon Tails' damage gets healed over, then it can take out the rest of my team. This concerns me, so I aim to get rid of it before I KO everyone else.

Turn 26 (3-4)

Lickilicky lost 16.3% of its health!

The foe's Eelektross lost 14.0% of its health!

The foe's Musharna was poisoned!

87%
0.33x SpD
37%
68%
It Acid Sprays again, most likely predicting a switch but gets forced out instead, which is good since Licklicky doesn't have to take boosted Thunderbolts. However, now it has to worry about boosted Psychics from Musharna. Anticipating Psychic or Moonlight, I make my switch to Liepard to let the harassment begin.

Turn 27 (3-4)

Lickilicky, come back!

Go! Liepard!

Liepard is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

87%
100%
31%

Gah, Liepard gets paralyzed, which is bad because it is my win condition, being the only one left that can take on Slaking, Sawk and Eelektross. The opponent probably saw it coming and crippled it, so good play by him.

Turn 28 (3-4)

Aperture Science withdrew Musharna!

Liepard, come back!

Go! Lickilicky!

100%
93%
56%
31%
He switches back to Eelektross to try and combat Liepard, only to meet face to face with Lickilicky, which sucks for him. I know the Acid Spray is coming, but I see Liepard as my greatest (only) chance to win here, so I Heal Bell anyway.

Turn 29 (3-4)

A bell chimed!

Lickilicky lost 7.8% of its health!

100%
92%
0.5x SpD
56%

Yeah he's going to Thunderbolt now, seeing as I stayed in last time. It's not like I have anything else to take the hit anyway this time round, so I Protect to gain more Leftovers recovery for the big hit.

Turn 30 (3-4)

Lickilicky used Protect!

The foe's Eelektross used Thunderbolt!

98%
0.5x SpD
56%

Yep, the Thunderbolt is coming. Since I cannot Wish stall, I have no choice but to take the attack...

Turn 31 (3-4)

The foe's Eelektross used Thunderbolt!

Lickilicky lost 53.1% of its health!

The foe's Eelektross lost 13% of its health!

51%
0.5x SpD
12%
43%
...like a champion, and bring in Musharna for one final round. Once again, Lickilicky risks a boosted Psychic, or Musharna could heal back up to paralyze some more. With that in mind, I switch to Liepard.

Turn 32 (3-4)

Lickilicky, come back!

Go! Liepard!

Liepard is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

51%
100%
6%

Only to get cockblocked again. Good play by my opponent. Rather than healing up Musharna, he registers that crippling Liepard is the greater priority, because believe it or not Musharna is considered dead weight at this point. He seems to be perfectly content with losing Musharna to not get Liepard in for free. Looks like I have to Heal Bell Liepard back up again.

Turn 33 (3-3)

Liepard, come back!

Go! Lickilicky!

The foe's Musharna fainted!

Aperture Science sent out Slaking!

The foe's Slaking was poisoned!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Slaking!

100%
57%
63%
0%
That was pretty bad timing on my part, since I am now face to face with Slaking, only this time the paralysis has given Protect a 25% chance to fail. Not one to take that chance, I switch into Misdreavus.

Turn 34 (3-3)

Lickilicky lost 27.6% of its health!

Lickilicky, come back!

Go! Misdreavus!

29%
30%
51%

Yet another good play from my opponent, had I stayed in I would get a chance to Heal Bell regardless of whether Protect worked or not since Pursuit won't KO. My Lickilicky is now so low it cannot Heal Bell against even Eelektross, and with Liepard still paralyzed I could be doomed. Where can I possibly find a chance to Heal Bell?

Turn 35 (3-3)

The foe's Slaking is loafing around!

Misdreavus used Pain Split!

The battlers shared their pain!

49%
24%

It suddenly occurs to me if I can get that big oaf to KO Misdreavus before Slaking itself goes down, I can get Lickilicky to Heal Bell on its Truant turn. The timing is crucial because if it fails to KO me in time or makes some double switch (risky because of Shadow Ball), I'd have no chance of winning. Time to put my plan into motion.

Turn 36 (2-3)

It's super effective! Misdreavus lost 48.5% of its health!

Misdreavus fainted!

Go! Lickilicky!

0%
29%
11%

By the way, yes I did switch out to ensure Pursuit landed the needed KO on Misdreavus. I got Licklicky in, but we're not out of the woods yet: if Licklicky gets paralyzed and unable to use Heal Bell, Slaking would get KOed and I would get swept by Sawk, end of story. Come on....

Turn 37 (2-2)

The foe's Slaking is loafing around!

A bell chimed!

The foe's Slaking fainted!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Sawk!

The foe's Sawk was poisoned!

35%
51%
0%

Alright, I can do this! Sawk is still a problem, as now I have no Misdreavus to absorb Close Combats. I do the only thing I can do for the moment: boring Protect stall :p (Come on, you didn't expect every turn in this warstory to be adrenaline pumped action did you? Especially from a stall user such as myself)

Turn 38 (2-2)

Lickilicky used Protect!

41%
39%

What's to say here, just Protect stall :confused:

Turn 39 (2-2)

Lickilicky used Protect!

47%
26%

Woot, the 2nd Protect actually worked! It almost never does for me, so this is a start~

Turn 40 (1-2)

Lickilicky used Protect!

But it failed!

It's super effective! Lickilicky lost 46.9% of its health!

The foe's Sawk's Defense fell!

The foe's Sawk's Special Defense fell!

Lickilicky fainted!

Go! Liepard!

0%
100%
14%
0.67x Def 0.67x SpD

Right, so Liepard can easily Foul Play this sucker, survive Thunderbolt from Eelektross due to full health, and....wait, is this Sawk Banded or Scarfed? Nothing it has done has suggested that it is distinctly one of them, so I have to deduce its item choice via teammates: Slaking is most likely Choice Banded since hitting like a nuke on steroids is what it does best; Glaceon is safe to say Scarfed since it isn't hitting hard enough nor did it at any point use Shadow Ball on Missy, most likely because it was locked into Ice Beam or didn't want to be locked into Shadow Ball due to Lickilicky. I think it is more likely that Sawk is Scarfed since Scarf Glaceon isn't fast enough to outrun stuff and needs a faster teammate to pick up the slack.

In any case, I'm definitely not going to risk the direct attack, let the stalling continue!

Turn 41 (1-2)

Liepard used Substitute!

Liepard put in a substitute!

Liepard lost 24.9% of its health!

A critical hit! It's super effective! Liepard's substitute faded!

Liepard restored HP using its Leftovers!

82%
2%
0.5x Def 0.5x SpD

By playing it safe, I am forced to use up ~40% of my health to stall out Sawk, which basically blows any chances of surviving Eelektross's Thunderbolt.

Turn 42 (1-1)

Liepard used Substitute!

Liepard put in a substitute!

Liepard lost 24.9% of its health!

It's super effective! Liepard's substitute faded!

Liepard restored HP using its Leftovers!

The foe's Sawk fainted!

63%
31%
0%
Sawk goes down, and Eelektross is the only one left. Normally I'd be confident in Foul Playing for ~35%, but those were mixed Eelektrosses. You know, those with no HP EVs, over 100 Attack EVs, and ocassionally even a -Def nature! This Eel is specially offensive Eelektross, which means it throws all unused EVs into HP, has no Attack EVs, and a -Atk nature. Heck, it could even have 0 Atk IVs, essentially meaning I am dealing the minimum amount of damage to Eelektross possible! There's still no way around this though, I have to attack now or lose all hope if he does something cheeky like Giga Drain my Substitute. It's now or never!

Turn 43

Liepard used Foul Play!

The foe's Eelektross lost 31% of its health!

The foe's Eelektross fainted!

63%
0%

Punchshroom won the battle by (1-0)!

Aperture Science: gg

Punchshroom: gg

And that concludes this battle, and many thanks to Aperture Science for making this possible! Onto the MVPs!

Toxic Spikes, what can I say? They swung the entire match to my favor since turn 1.
Even though this guy had a rough start, it didn't have to use Wish to survive, he just sat there and take those hits like how your proud pink blob does. Heal Bell was my savior throughout the whole game: thawing Misdreavus and unparalyzing Liepard so they could play their roles in the battle. Its Dragon Tail is invaluable in shuffling its opponents to death, and was marginally helpful in helping to prevent Eelektross from dealing consecutive severe hits against its -2 SDef. Suck on it Audino~
This dude was my main concern throughout the entire match, what with its immunity to Toxic Spikes and potential ability to beat Lickilicky under the right conditions. I had to plan on how to beat this thing before it picks off my remaining members one by one after it easily roasted 2 of them.

Hope you enjoyed this battle! Have a nice day~

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Well this is stall, which is considered a "safer" playstyle than most, though I agree this match is comparatively straightforward than my other works. Also, double Protect + double Sub would've netted the same results as single Protect + triple Sub, so I don't know why you nitpicked on that.

Edit: Hmm...now that I look at it, this battle is totally hax-free, even the freeze is Heal Belled away. So this battle doesn't bring forth the sheer unknown factor Pokemon tends to incorporate , so if you want more 'suspenseful' out-of-nowhere bullshit comebacks/turnarounds I can deliver, if that's your cup of tea.

Last edited:
His intention from the beginning was to showcase when to let a pokemon die faint. Since this is a Stall team letting Scolipede faint in order to get toxic spikes in the opponent team prove his point, in a bulky offensive team (or a HO one) IF scolipede run t-spikes he would be sashed or you switch it out to get the t-spikes up later.

I personally liked Turn 36, where he intentionally took the boosted pursuit on misdreavus to use Heal bell with lickylicky on slaking truant turn. Not always a trainer remotely think in sacrificing his pokemon (aside from the well know deadfodder) for a shoot at winning (remembered me a lot to the Final battle at VGC nationals this year).

Both turns really showcased his point, point he clearly stated at the beginning of the warstory so IMO this takes 9/10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)