Weird Sets You've Seen on Battle Spot

I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but has anyone attempted a hax Kangaskan?

Kangaskan@Kangaskanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 SpD (or similiar)
Nature: Bold
- Mud-Slap
- Icy Wind
- Fury-Cutter
- Power-Up-Punch / Bite

What the moves lack in power can be made up for in the fact that they lower the opponents stats and/or stop them from moving altogether. Starting with mud-slap, the opponent goes down to (iirc) 0.6x accuracy. This can allow for PuP and Fury-Cutter to be executed.

I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but has anyone attempted a hax Kangaskan?

Kangaskan@Kangaskanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 SpD (or similiar)
Nature: Bold
- Mud-Slap
- Icy Wind
- Fury-Cutter
- Power-Up-Punch / Bite

What the moves lack in power can be made up for in the fact that they lower the opponents stats and/or stop them from moving altogether. Starting with mud-slap, the opponent goes down to (iirc) 0.6x accuracy. This can allow for PuP and Fury-Cutter to be executed.
i have found a new way to troll Feliburn. anyway this set seems like a doubles set since it has icy wind instead of ice beam (kangaskhan can lean ice beam). this set is really cool tho imo

This set was primarily a stat drop set, allowing for Kanga to either outspeed, or let a Sweeper do their job efficiently.

Man, I got caught by surprise on WiFi by someone (don't remember where they were from) using this set:

Emolga @ Light Ball
Ability: Probably Static?
EVs: Guessing something like 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Fling
- Acrobatics
- ????
- ????

That Acrobatics did a surprising amount of damage and Emolga was surprisingly fast. A flung Light Ball paralyzes as well.

Fling with a Status Orb/Item is extremely useful, I enjoy using this Gliscor Set:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: Individual can decide but 184 HP/ 252 Atk / 72 Spe
- Protect
- Fling
- Acrobatic
- Earthquake / Swords Dance

Protect on the first turn to get Toxic Orb to work and then use Fling. Fling may hit Poison or Steel Types, but they can be quickly taken out with Earthquake. After Fling, Acrobatics goes into a Powerful 110 BP STAB attack that can take out a large portion of an opponent's health.

Although not the most common Fling or Acrobatics set, still a highly usable one in the OU Metagame.

Playing BSpot Singles ladder on cartridge earlier today..

Conkeldurr used Knock Off!

The opposing Ferrothorn's Choice Band was knocked off!

Ferrrothorn used Gyro Ball!

Ahaha wat. I thought Choice Band Ferrothorn was just a long running joke?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
mhykah Choice Band Ferrothorn's not such a bad idea honestly. It was mainstream in BW OU even.

It seems like it could be useful to take down Garchomps or bulkier Water-types or so.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
mhykah I'm honestly more surprised that it used Gyro Ball against your Conkeldurr, that's a huge ~40BP to hit with. Unless it was already locked into that move but it didn't read like it was...

mhykah's Adventures in Free Battle since the server was under maintenance

The opposing Talonflame used Swords Dance!
The opposing Talonflame held on to it's Focus Sash!
The opposing Talonflame used Acrobatics!

It could have worked somewhat if I didn't have Ferrothorn to switch into

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
mhykah's Adventures in Free Battle since the server was under maintenance

The opposing Talonflame used Swords Dance!
The opposing Talonflame held on to it's Focus Sash!
The opposing Talonflame used Acrobatics!

It could have worked somewhat if I didn't have Ferrothorn to switch into
The classic 'Talonflame3' from the Battle Maison! Not gonna lie, I've tried this and it doesn't work. It only works if you consume your Sash which is way too unreliable, if you're going to do it I would rather do it with a Sitrus Berry and Brave Bird with Acrobatics as a backup move if you manage to activate the berry. Maybe a Sub+Leichi berry combo would work better? At least you're somewhat guaranteed to get down to your berry then... Priority Acrobatics is so tempting but it just doesn't work as well as we all hope, too bad / lucky for us that Flying Gem isn't in this generation!

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
This isn't exactly a weird set I've seen, it's a weird set I use. Anyways, here goes!

FISSURE FUN
########
name: FISSURE FUN
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Ancient Power
move 4: Fissure
ability: Solid Rock
item: Cameruptite
evs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
ivs: 0 Atk
nature: Modest

It's a pretty standard set until...wait! What's this? Fissure? Yes, Fissure. Mega Camerupt has a hard time dealing with Chansey and Blissey, so why not use Fissure to have a chance to take them down in one blow? 244 Speed EVs are used to outspeed uninvested Chansey, and I maximized Special Attack in order to hit as hard as possible. I put the remaining EVs in HP to increase Mega Camerupt's overall bulk.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
This isn't exactly a weird set I've seen, it's a weird set I use. Anyways, here goes!

FISSURE FUN
########
name: FISSURE FUN
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Ancient Power
move 4: Fissure
ability: Solid Rock
item: Cameruptite
evs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
ivs: 0 Atk
nature: Modest

It's a pretty standard set until...wait! What's this? Fissure? Yes, Fissure. Mega Camerupt has a hard time dealing with Chansey and Blissey, so why not use Fissure to have a chance to take them down in one blow? 244 Speed EVs are used to outspeed uninvested Chansey, and I maximized Special Attack in order to hit as hard as possible. I put the remaining EVs in HP to increase Mega Camerupt's overall bulk.
There's a thread for gimmicks you've run yourself with success. OHKO moves are pretty common on bulky 'mons that have trouble taking things down and can spare the moveslot, Sheer Cold Suicune is a premier example of this. I mean you're not reinventing the wheel but it's cool to see another user. Allocating speed EVs like that takes away from much of Camerupt's bulk, which for something so slow it needs all it can get, and I'm not sure how prominent Chansey / Blissey are to warrant such a specific build.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
There's a thread for gimmicks you've run yourself with success. OHKO moves are pretty common on bulky 'mons that have trouble taking things down and can spare the moveslot, Sheer Cold Suicune is a premier example of this. I mean you're not reinventing the wheel but it's cool to see another user. Allocating speed EVs like that takes away from much of Camerupt's bulk, which for something so slow it needs all it can get, and I'm not sure how prominent Chansey / Blissey are to warrant such a specific build.
Thanks for the tips, and I'll be sure to post on the other thread next time when i have my own gimmick. I guess that 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe is a better EV spread? It outspeeds opposing Mega Camerupt by one point, assuming they have no investment, of course.

So I just ran into this set while practicing for VGC...

Exeggutor @ Focus Sash
Nature: Likely Quiet
-Trick Room
-Leaf Storm
-Psychic
-

Yeah. Sash Exeggutor. I lead with Heracross and Zapdos, and have Heracross Megahorn it. But its sash activates, it sets up Trick Room, and then it proceeds to tear my team to shreds.

Of course, I am also to blame for letting this happen; had I clicked Heat Wave on Zapdos, I would have won. Oh well...

So has anyone else seen this set on Battle Spot?

Snorlax @ Chesto Berry
Nature: ????
EV Spread: ????
- Stockpile
- Belly Drum
- Rest
- Crunch

So the strategy was to Stockpile multiple times to boost Snorlax's defenses, then either Rest to bring HP back up or Belly drum to max out attack, then do the other, and finally proceed to Spam Crunch until everything died. I presume Crunch was because Dark is a type with no defensive immunities, and it gives a defense drop to compliment the attack maximisation. For some reason he switched it out when he couldn't 1hko my Milotic (though if he'd just kept spamming crunch he would have won, lol @ his bad patience). His last two pokemon were significantly weakened by Milotic before it went down, and then I managed to sweep all three with Cinccino, winning the game. Silly trainer.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
So has anyone else seen this set on Battle Spot?

Snorlax @ Chesto Berry
Nature: ????
EV Spread: ????
- Stockpile
- Belly Drum
- Rest
- Crunch

So the strategy was to Stockpile multiple times to boost Snorlax's defenses, then either Rest to bring HP back up or Belly drum to max out attack, then do the other, and finally proceed to Spam Crunch until everything died. I presume Crunch was because Dark is a type with no defensive immunities, and it gives a defense drop to compliment the attack maximisation. For some reason he switched it out when he couldn't 1hko my Milotic (though if he'd just kept spamming crunch he would have won, lol @ his bad patience). His last two pokemon were significantly weakened by Milotic before it went down, and then I managed to sweep all three with Cinccino, winning the game. Silly trainer.
I'm pretty sure Verlisify made that lol

This one was a bit of an oddball from one of the wifi battle competitions.

Sudowoodo @ Weakness Policy
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sturdy
-Sucker Punch
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Rock Polish

The Sudowoodo died instantly during the competition as expected, and his Weakness Policy never triggered the first time. I went and saved the replay just because it was so odd to see Sudowoodo of all things running around, so I went back and found that he was running this set.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite(?)
Unknown Nature/ EV Spread
Ability: Download
- Return
- Thunder Wave
- Unknown (possibly Recover)
- Unknown (probably not Ice Beam)

This thing never Ice Beamed my mega Altaria, even when it got a special attack boost, so I'm guessing it didn't have Ice Beam. It switched in on Rotom-H to get an attack boost and started using Return. It was teamed up with Wobbuffet and M-Gengar, but M-Altaria eventually beat Wobb and Pory after Gengar was out because even after it was encored into Dragon Dance, Porygon2 couldn't 2HKO it without the physical attack boost (I actually really misplayed because I thought I had tricked Choice Scarf onto Wobb and locked it into Mirror Coat, but Choice Scarf was still on Rotom, so Encore surprised me). At +4, paralyzed Altaria outsped Wobb and Pory.

Also
Kangaskhan@ Kangaskhanite
- Secret Power
- Power-Up Punch
- Substitute
- Rock Slide
This thing was teamed with a Misty Terrain/ Dual Screen cat. I don't remember the battle very well, but I do remember the moveset, Secret Power for parahax (since Body Slam is illegal in ORAS. Secret Power drops SpA in Misty Terrain), Rock Slide for flinchies, and Sub for status. Did you know that Secret Power does not result in Iron Barbs recoil? This thing almost swept my team, even though it was the last pokemon left and the other two hadn't done any damage.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Kangaskhan@ Kangaskhanite
- Secret Power
- Power-Up Punch
- Substitute
- Rock Slide
This is great, wish I thought of it for when Kang was the subject of 'the next best thing' thread. Secret Power is so easily overlooked. Sure it misses the power of the old Body Slam set but it shouldn't be too much of a problem when the aim is to flinch + para hax your way to victory. Also the fact that neither Secret Power or Rock Slide make contact is great for ignoring Rocky Helmet / Rough Skin / Iron Barbs, which are many players sole answer to Kang. I'm definitely going to try this

Not necessarily a set, but weird nonetheless:

Eviolite Slowbro. One would think that giving Slowbro a mega but not giving Slowking a mega would tip people off that Slowbro is fully evolved, but apparently not.
In other news...

I kind of feel bad for mega chomp now. I think it's funny that they're both 0.5%.

So, I just met this whilst practicing VGC:
Tauros @ Expert belt?
Ability Sheer Force?
Nature I think modest??
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- ?
- ?

It just completely wrecked my team, but I am just kind of stunned that it with 40 base S.Atk can OHKO Mega Salamence.

Reactions: PPB

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So, I just met this whilst practicing VGC:
Tauros @ Expert belt?
Ability Sheer Force?
Nature I think modest??
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- ?
- ?

It just completely wrecked my team, but I am just kind of stunned that it with 40 base S.Atk can OHKO Mega Salamence.
Sheer Force + Life Orb + abusing move, means that against certain targets it hits really hard. It probably also hard rock climb and rock slide.

Sheer Force + Life Orb + abusing move, means that against certain targets it hits really hard. It probably also hard rock climb and rock slide.
Just did the calc for it. Without any HP and SPDef investment it's a garunteed OHKO! Bulls on parade!

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 400-473 (120.8 - 142.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)