What old Pokemon are still viable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone's really psyched about all the Gen 5 Pokemon with their extreme base stats but what will happen to some old favourites like 'nape and Aero? Though they were popular in Gen 4 how will they fair against some of the new hyper-offensive pokemon? However, it is true that some things that were overshadowed in D/P/Pt/Hg/Ss but Gen 5 has opened new doors for them like Speed Boost Blaziken and Pokemon that benefit from the now improved Sturdy. So what do you guys think? Will the classics fall or blend themselves in B/W? And if so which ones can we still use?

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Well, Blissey is always going to have its niche. Latias is a little bit outclassed by the Dark / Dragon in some ways but it's still good. Garchomp has the STAB EQ Ononokusu (?) wishes it got and it also has great bulk in comparison to the Gen IV (non-uber) Dragons. Heatran will still be cool; it's got a much better set of resistances to the Fire/Ghost thing, plus access to Stealth Rock and Explosion.

Too early to say, but there have been pokemon in OU since forever.
Gengar, Snorlax, Starmie, Blissy/chansey, zapdos, maybe more.
Out of those i can see only Snorlax not being useful with a 3 turn rest.

Basically non-gimmick pokemon with good Base stats, non-terrible typing and useful movepools.

Something like heatran and zapdos are good examples, hard to see them not being good ever.

Aerodactl is a gimmick because it's only used for 1 thing, it's existance relies on being the fastest Poke with taunt and stealth rock, if something decent comes along that is faster with stealth rock it could beome useless.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Zapdos and Starmie get huge boosts with Lightingrod and Swimming Goggles respectively; I would definitely expect them to stay OU, but we don't know how tiering will be done or how the metagame will evolve.

Ninetales and Politoad will be used a lot more, courtesy of their abilities. Scizor will probably keep its role. The lead metagame probably won't change much.

Aerodactyl's throne will get ursurped by some random newcomer as SR isn't a TM anymore. However, if it is available by move tutor it might still rule as the King of Suicide Leads...not counting the 145 Spe ninja clam, which *might* get Taunt along with its U-Turn for anti-leading goodness.

Ninetales and Politoad will be used a lot more, courtesy of their abilities. Scizor will probably keep its role. The lead metagame probably won't change much.
Really? I mean i can see Politoed and Ninetales in OU but I've read somewhere that Swift Swim and Chlorophyll aren't boosted by the Drizzle and Drought. Also if you think about it a lot of previous Pokemon I'd say are now outclassed such as Desukan> Bronzong and Shandera>Gengar, though I agree SOME obvious candidates will stay OU, its a bit extreme to say it won't change much isn't it?

I wouldn't say Bronzong is outclassed by Desukan though...have you seen Desukan's HP and special defense? That thing can't take special hits at all, wheras Bronzong has more HP and nicer mixed defenses in general (not to mention better offensive options too)

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really? I mean i can see Politoed and Ninetales in OU but I've read somewhere that Swift Swim and Chlorophyll aren't boosted by the Drizzle and Drought. Also if you think about it a lot of previous Pokemon I'd say are now outclassed such as Desukan> Bronzong and Shandera>Gengar, though I agree SOME obvious candidates will stay OU, its a bit extreme to say it won't change much isn't it?

Yeah thats incorrect. Basically what people were confused about was the wording that stated that the ability would only trigger the turn ofter rain started.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, Blissey is always going to have its niche. Latias is a little bit outclassed by the Dark / Dragon in some ways but it's still good. Garchomp has the STAB EQ Ononokusu (?) wishes it got and it also has great bulk in comparison to the Gen IV (non-uber) Dragons. Heatran will still be cool; it's got a much better set of resistances to the Fire/Ghost thing, plus access to Stealth Rock and Explosion.
According to a TM list i found on another site, Stealth Rock is no longer on the TM list of B/W, so Heatran can't set-up stealth Rock anymore.

Though there will be Pokemon who learn Stealth Rock by level-up.

Starmie should have no problem staying viable. Swimming Goggles will give it plenty of Trick fun in addition to solving the Surf vs Hydro Pump dilemma, and it's faster than a lot of the new dangerous Pokemon, many of whom are fragile, so it should still be a good revenge killer. Gengar likewise still outspeeds a lot of key stuff, and it should be just as painful behind a substitute as in 4th gen. With all the hype for the chandelier, something that can throw STAB Shadow Ball at it and outspeeds it (so even if it gets that Nitro Charge speed boost once, Scarfgar still is faster) seems like just the thing to help keep it in check. And of course, Tyranitar is going to stick around as a big presence, even with all the new fighting types; it still has great bulk to handle the powerhouses of BW, still has great offensive typing, still has some useful resistances (another potential Shandera check) and given the new abilities that exist to benefit from sand, Tyranitar is going to be very useful support. ESPECIALLY with Drought and Drizzle being introduced to things that aren't Groudon and Kyogre (or if, heaven forbid, those two end up not being Uber, which seems unlikely but given all the radical changes it's not safe to assume ANYTHING now), being able to shut down the powerhouse rain/sun teams will be huge.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
...Can't you just port your Pokemon from Gen IV that know Stealth Rock up and use those?

Everything that had Stealth Rock still does, silly people.

Yeah thats incorrect. Basically what people were confused about was the wording that stated that the ability would only trigger the turn ofter rain started.
Oh right thanks. Anyway Akirado I think that Pokemon from fourth gen still keep Stealth Rock if you port 'em. At least thats one advantage the previous gens have against B/W lol. The only new pokemon I know that gets stealth rock is the rock crab thing(dunno its name)

it seems to me that although all of these new mons seem overpowered, not all of them can be OU material. Some of them will inevitably fall into the rampardos category. To me, it also seems unlikely that the entirety of OU will just disappear. (however, some pokemon have to fall, and im looking at you, rotom). The mons that stay will be the psuedo legends and mons like starmie and gengar whose niches haven't changed much over time.

haunter

Banned deucer.
It's too early to tell. We still don't know about new egg\tutor moves and some dream word abilities. Other than that, some game mechanics have been changed so it's literally impossible to give an answer to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)