What UU pokemon are least common BUT have potential?

I was kinda shocked one day when an Exploud swept through my whole team...Exploud's movepool is seriously wide..It was coincidence though that he had a move that hit everyone for super-effective...Return, Surf, Fire Bliast, Crunch..I looked exploud up more and saw it's movepool is just as big as it's mouth...lol now there's an underrated threat

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I say....

SKUNTANK
If you're going to bring up a Pokemon at least write a brief explanation, I'm infracting if anybody does something like that again.

@ those suggesting Slaking, I disagree...ish. Substitute is everywhere in UU and as if that wasn't reason enough Rotom, Mismagius, Rhyperior, Registeel and Spiritomb are all in the top 20 meaning you can't just spam Return. Obviously he can hurt those things if he predicts but ideally you wanna make a situation for yourself where you can spam Return and it's just too much hassle to do that. He's also Dugtrio fodder as CB EQ 2HKOs and Truant will leave Slaking helpless. That said, Slaking's fantastic bulk and speed mean he can revenge kill (and even function as an emergency counter to) just about anything. Choice Banded Sucker Punch is also a fantastic move because nobody sees it coming and it does shitloads. It's great fun KO'ing stuff like Swift Swimming Ludicolo with it. Make sure you have a good team backing you up though because Sucker Punch on Slaking is one of the riskiest moves in all of Pokemon heh.

CB Sucker Punch on Slaking sounds extremely dangerous.... but fun :D
What about LO on Slaking? You lose power sure but Slaking has decent coverage and can beat most ghost and steel switch ins to Return.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
CB Slaking could work well if paired with Unaware Yawn Bibarel and Rock Blast Cloyster/Rhyperior....wow I can't believe I just typed that. Anyway, the primary problem with CB Slaking is the free turns of attack boosting set up and substitute that it encourages, and both of the above Pokemon can deal with that somewhat well.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Skuntank is actually a great Pokémon. I've been using it the entire period and haven't been disappointed in the slightest. I've been using a bulkier set, but I know a few users have been using a more offensive set (with Life Orb and more Speed) as well. The set I have been using looks like this:

Skuntank (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 224 HP/252 Atk/32 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Explosion
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab / Crunch

It has just enough Speed to outrun Rock Polish Torterra. It does exactly what it needs to do, that is: kill Ghost and Psychic-types. Even if you take massive damage in the process (although you usually will not), you can switch out and come back later to explode on something. Poison Jab is pretty useful for OHKOing Sceptile and such, but I've found Crunch to be better in that slot for its ability to hit Spiritomb harder while still maintaining the same base power against Venusaur. Lum Berry is extremely useful because Ghost-types in UU are moving more and more towards using Will-o-Wisp. I paired this with CB Hitmonlee which worked out extremely well.

I use almost the same EV spread and movepool, but with Life Orb.

Skuntank is notable as the "best" Pursuit user IMO, simply because of the combination of Sucker Punch and Explosion.
With Explosion Skuntank is never a dead weight, especially when Skuntank is getting rid of ghost pokes...
Sucker Punch punishes anything faster and it's another weapon for Skuntank overall usefulness, since Skuntank can Pursuit ghosts/Psychics, can come later to revenge with Sucker Punch and Explode when needed.

It's walled by steel pokes/Rhyperior though, but that can be remedied.

Shedinja
With proper Rapid Spin support, he's a beast. Fills a great role as a status spreader (Will-o-wisp, Toxic), can scout dangerous moves with Protect, Shadow Sneak is great for finishing off low-hp speedsters, and he can run a Swords Dance set pretty well. Baton Passing a substitute to him can prevent common indirect damage moves as well.

I use him on both my teams to force switches (on my stall team, invaluable for forcing spikes/sr damage), usually carrying Will-o-wisp for burning a lot of common switch-ins (Regi___ series seem to be popular in my experience).

Lead Girafarig has been working wonders for me. Against many stealth rock leads, Grass Knot is either a KO or easy to finish off with Psychic. Against sleeper leads which seems to be a lot of them, Magic Coat consistently surprises the opponent and gives you a huge advantage. I haven't been using Wish on my Girafarig too much, but I would imagine that late game it's just as helpful as any wishing pokemon.

Also, Girafarig is practically a Venusaur counter if you play well. Girafarig is faster, and can Psychic if you predict a SD, or can Magic Coat Leech Seed OR Sleep Powder back to Venusaur. Only real problem is that Girafarig can't take too many boosted hits from Venusaur, unless you've "set up" leech seeds on them and are using wish effectively.

So yeah. Use Girafarig everybody!

ALL Skuntank should use Pursuit, Crunch, SuckerPunch, and Explosion as well as hold Black Glasses. Band limits his options, LO has nasty recoil, and anything trying to status him WILL status him (namely Rotom) so Lum is moot.

Slaking could run a set consisting of Return-EQ-Encore-Filler. Pokemon who attempt to setup on him on the turn he is 'slacking off' is in turn setup on instead.

ALL Skuntank should use Pursuit, Crunch, SuckerPunch, and Explosion as well as hold Black Glasses. Band limits his options, LO has nasty recoil, and anything trying to status him WILL status him (namely Rotom) so Lum is moot.

Slaking could run a set consisting of Return-EQ-Encore-Filler. Pokemon who attempt to setup on him on the turn he is 'slacking off' is in turn setup on instead.
Surely then Stunkank is even more helpless against Steel types. At least Rock Smash/ HP Fight was a 2HKO on Aggron. Sure you can bluff choice band, but what advantage does that have if you have to switch out anyway?

Also, I can't see how running anything but a choiced attacker Slaking is viable. Slaking is just a hit and run Pokemon

Shedinja
With proper Rapid Spin support, he's a beast. Fills a great role as a status spreader (Will-o-wisp, Toxic), can scout dangerous moves with Protect, Shadow Sneak is great for finishing off low-hp speedsters, and he can run a Swords Dance set pretty well. Baton Passing a substitute to him can prevent common indirect damage moves as well.

I use him on both my teams to force switches (on my stall team, invaluable for forcing spikes/sr damage), usually carrying Will-o-wisp for burning a lot of common switch-ins (Regi___ series seem to be popular in my experience).
Shedinja is just too difficult to keep alive. Sandstorm isn't omni-present, but it isn't that rare. Hail Stail is also run in UU. I admit it can be fun to completely wall something with a Shedinja, but it only takes one <insert any form of residual damage> to KO it. Maybe usable in NU, but not really UU.

Surely then Stunkank is even more helpless against Steel types. At least Rock Smash/ HP Fight was a 2HKO on Aggron. Sure you can bluff choice band, but what advantage does that have if you have to switch out anyway?
Skuntank has no business staying in against said threat as well as Registeel, Steelix, etc. So long as Skuntank can kill the Ghost-type and Explode he has done his job.

I swear some of the analysis written here on Smogon are a bunch of bs and need a update.

I swear some of the analysis written here on Smogon are a bunch of bs and need a update.
You are right. Most UU Pokemon are written to be used in OU, and some UU Pokemon have Hypno and Grumpig mentioned as counters, which was like 3 meta's ago. I haven't seen either one of those used in UU in about a year.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Scarf Manectric is very underrated imo. Once your ground type is wiped out, it can pick off a lot of your team one by one.

Ampharos and Charizard. Both are awesome, and I can think of a couple of ways to use them. I dunno, my Ampharos seems pretty badass, and Charizard can take out a lot, if trained properly.

Miltank is pretty underated imo. It can run support or curse sets very effectively. Also Kangaskan is very hard to switch into thanks to scrappy.

Miltank is pretty underated imo. It can run support or curse sets very effectively. Also Kangaskan is very hard to switch into thanks to scrappy.
'greed. I like using a specially bulky Miltank to confuse opponents and just have a general tank of a poke.

CurseTank only needs 1-2 threats removed before it can straight-up run train on teams... Ghosts and Haze Milo but Haze Milo is hardly common so..

Thick Fat is a must in order to prevent specifically Moltres from ruining your fun. Albiet Moltres is uncommon at the time... I would never build a team without taking it into consideration.

You also said that Haze Milo was rare. Are you playing OU? :S
I haven't played as often as I'd like this round, but I've noticed way less Haze and far more Ice Beam Milotic; that's actually part of the reason I started running three or more stat up sweepers on my teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)