Why do YOU play UU?

Why do YOU play UU?

• I'm sick and tired of the OU Pokémon. I never want to see another Blissey.

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • There are more strategies available in UU and I can be more creative with my teams.

Votes: 35 38.9%
  • I want to use some of my favorite Pokémon, but they can't cut it in standard play.

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • I have some other reason that isn't listed here. (Please specify in your post)

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • I don't play UU, but I have a compulsion to vote in every poll I see.

Votes: 17 18.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi ho. TMN here. I'm back again to talk about tiering, specifically the UnderUsed (or UU) tier.

Hopefully you all have a good grasp of how our tiering system at Smogon currently works. We create the standard environment rules by banning Pokémon to the Uber list when we feel that they overcentralize the metagame. Then we take a certain percentage of the most-used Pokémon in this standard metagame and label them OU (for OverUsed). We then create another play environment 'underneath' the standard one called UU by banning all Pokémon on the Uber and OU lists automatically, then banning any Pokémon that unbalance the resulting metagame to the BL (Borderline) list.

This is the way it's been done for a long time. My question for you is, "Why do you play UU?"

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
2nd (relatively popular) balanced meta, different pokes than the first. What's not to love?

Getting that second metagame for the price of one video game cartridge. dealz

Personally, I just love to get away from teams that look like dragon dragon dragon steel steel steel, although I guess with latias gone, it's slightly better now

Truthfully, I simply play UU because I'm better at it than I am at OU or Ubers. It's more fun the better your matches are, and the better you can play.

Does using UU pokemon in OU count? I dunno, I just use pokemon that I like. =/
Whether it be a mixture of UU and OU or not. I suppose stats do play a role in my selection of pokemon, though, the influence is relatively small.

Because I am sick and tired of seeing the same pokemon with the same moves.There are just so many different strategies available in UU.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
UU is easy and it always has been. Whenever I get pissed off at OU, I go to UU and get free wins. Other than that, I mainly play OU because it's a much more rigorous and strategic metagame. Plus, all my favorites are OU (Weavile, Lucario, Salamence, YOU GUYS KNOW THIS).

I like it just because it's different, not because I have a problem with OU or Ubers. I play all three main tiers with roughly equal success and I don't really have a preference.

Do i need a reason?
I like UU, that's all.

UU is easy and it always has been. Whenever I get pissed off at OU, I go to UU and get free wins. Other than that, I mainly play OU because it's a much more rigorous and strategic metagame. Plus, all my favorites are OU (Weavile, Lucario, Salamence, YOU GUYS KNOW THIS).
Then why is OU easier for me?
Whenever i keep losing in UU i go to OU to get free wins. Hmm...
For me, the answer is quite clear: i know what to expect on OU, since there's less diversity than UU. It's easier for me to prepare.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UU is pretty awesome. It's sheer variety and vastness is fun and I like the UU players more in general. (No offense OU guys!)

I play mainly for the same reason as Coldcut: it's another metagame with a different (and relatively larger) variety of viable pokemon. Of course, it also has a lot of my favorite pokemon too (Venusaur, Toxicroak, Hariyama, Feralgatr, etc.).

I dont play UU on Wifi, but I play it on the ladder, and it seems alright, but the bad thing is, I keep seeing Moltres and Venasaur everywhere
Which is why I play OU, since I am much more better at it, and more experienced

PS-I voted for the last option in the poll ;)

Because there is more variety, i mean when i realized i was using all the same 10 pokes as does all my opponents something was wrong (pure OU whoring if you ask me).

I also didn't want to see a poke and almost instantly ,even before it do anything, have a clear idea of item held and moveset (seriously if you look a flygon the only real doubt is if he has t-punch, stone edge or fire blast).

And the UU metagame right now bring that and people are trying new things and i'm here to see that ;).

All I could do was laugh at this. Seriously? I test my Mono teams on the ladder and beat leaderboarders...OU is wayyyy too predictable. I hate playing it because one: I'm a pretty awful team builder for OU and two: I just absolutely hate the douchebags, the massive hax I seem to get against me, and how every god damned team looks exactly the same! I mean you can get all of that in UU, but from my experience it just is not as prmoinent.

Because you can use things like Poliwrath and make it work.

I gotta agree with SJCrew here though, UU seems much more easier than OU imo.

Plus there isn't anything even close to broken in UU as there is in OU, and using broken things is fun.

I really liked UU because I love to focus on truly anti-metagaming and UU provided that, at least for a while. Now it's to a point, like Standard, where anti-metagaming just doesn't work because of the strength of the main Pokemon in the tier. You just really can't "beat the metagame". That's why I'm probably going to fall back into NU - it's the type of strategy I can somewhat succeed in.

Vote I have some other reason not listed.

I first started playing Pokemon online because I have a friend who plays Pokemon, and I wanted to play with her. I remember some of the first few games we played ... I used one of my (very old) concepts, using 5 Pokemon with Explosion and then Articuno with Mind Reader / Sheer Cold. I remember using OU Pokemon only to face her using Ubers, and I remember her saying Latias / Jirachi are legends and shouldn't be allowed (I referred her to the Smogon tiers for that).

Then after we stopped for the day I read more and more Smogon articles and analyses and quickly realized that I'd amassed a lot more knowledge about the game than her. That's when I figured I'd try playing with a tier disadvantage - and since we'd stopped using Ubers clearly I would have to play UU vs. OU. That's how I started playing UU.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Couldn't disagree more to be honest. The UU ladder might be pathetically trollish and easy to climb, but don't say that about the UU metagame as a whole, because it's when you get to play more experienced players (that unhappily are rarer in the UU tier due to the smaller number of players that take the time to go deep into the metagame) that you get to know how hard a metagame is. It's just like Ubers, ladder for a while, see 10 Lunatones, then face a more experienced players that shows you Ubers isn't the metagame you use SpecsOgre and win.

Vote I have some other reason not listed.

I first started playing Pokemon online because I have a friend who plays Pokemon, and I wanted to play with her. I remember some of the first few games we played ... I used one of my (very old) concepts, using 5 Pokemon with Explosion and then Articuno with Mind Reader / Sheer Cold. I remember using OU Pokemon only to face her using Ubers, and I remember her saying Latias / Jirachi are legends and shouldn't be allowed (I referred her to the Smogon tiers for that).

Then after we stopped for the day I read more and more Smogon articles and analyses and quickly realized that I'd amassed a lot more knowledge about the game than her. That's when I figured I'd try playing with a tier disadvantage - and since we'd stopped using Ubers clearly I would have to play UU vs. OU. That's how I started playing UU.
You win the most complicated reason award :)

I just find UU more enjoyable and there aren't pink blobs, little ovens, and dragons who sprouted wings because they "wanted" to fly all over the place... Sure, there are Sea Serpents and overgrown flowers frequently, but for some reason they are easier to prepare for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)