Why not Music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this part of the Forums is for Smogon in general or what, and I also have no idea if my idea is possible, but I'm gunna give it a shot.

I think Smogon should let you post mp3 files on your signature or page for music or sounds. However, as privileges exist, so too do rules, and the rule on such files (which could be explicit, vulgar, profane, or unhealthy) should be under the discretion of the admins and mods who sovereign over the Smogon forums. I know whether or not having music on your page or on your posts (as click-able files, not playing immediately, which would be a nuisance) is up to interpretation as goes how it "improves" the Smogon forums, but I personally am convinced that it would make each person's page or posts more interesting if they had a "Signature Music" part of it, or something along those lines. And on this note, just as Smogon let's you upload pictures to an album, so too I think they should let you upload music (but not before it is viewed and passed as appropriate by the mods or admins). I think I've stated my case, and I'm not sure how to explain otherwise why it would be a good idea other than my own personal interests (which is part of the point).

Thanks for any who support this idea, damn those who would condemn it to the trash bin! (mehehe)

Sorry, but I think this should be condemned into the trash bin.

This forum is for Competitive Pokemon, not a wannabe Facebook or MySpace. Also, why would it be more interesting to have "signature music"? some people have already made it so that they are regognised immediatly when they post, i.e. Hips "have a nice day." or cookies avatar. Just about everybody who has been here awhile regognises those. There is no need for music that is clickable to make someone have a "signature mark".

Sorry, but I think this should be condemned into the trash bin.

This forum is for Competitive Pokemon, not a wannabe Facebook or MySpace. Also, why would it be more interesting to have "signature music"? some people have already made it so that they are regognised immediatly when they post, i.e. Hips "have a nice day." or cookies avatar. Just about everybody who has been here awhile regognises those. There is no need for music that is clickable to make someone have a "signature mark".
Right, well thanks for so belligerently criticizing my idea. You have a good point, but it sounds more like you are just politically disagreeing rather than denouncing it as an idea all together. A mod has yet to lock this thread, so I must not have posted anything irrelevant. I understand that this isn't Myspace or Facebook (but those also have limited music abilities). Like I said, the only reason I was interested in using music because as we can upload pictures, it's not all that far off to be able to upload anything else. The purpose of signature music has nothing to do with being 'signature', something you are recognized for, it was just something creative that I figured would be cool (I also said it would be interesting to have a sound as well). It is "signature" in that it is something you yourself claim as an audio file to place IN your signature or something along those lines. I don't see the uselessness that you are trying to point out. I just see it as you are at odds against something you don't feel is necessary. Well you know what, playing Pokemon online (or at all) isn't necessary either, so don't try to make this something that has no useful means. I realized the moment I had the idea that it would just be one more thing to add to Smogon, and it would seem irrelevant, but if you looked long enough in some of the forum sections, you would see it IS NOT ALL ABOUT competitive Pokemon.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can easily place a link to a YouTube Clip of music you like in your signature. Just remember not to post any links to downloads of copyrighted works. Otherwise, you can discuss music you like and find others with similar tastes on the Internet Renaissance board on Smogon.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How are there "politics" in a discussion about a feature between two normal users? Unless you're dragging out a Wi-Fi / Firebot / any grudge.

There's just about nothing less irritating than hearing music on a web page you did not prompt for, and I have no idea why people think that music and hypertext are "supposed" to go together.

Images and music are rather different forms of media, and use different senses... you can't just directly compare them.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How are there "politics" in a discussion about a feature between two normal users? Unless you're dragging out a Wi-Fi / Firebot / any grudge.

There's just about nothing less irritating than hearing music on a web page you did not prompt for, and I have no idea why people think that music and hypertext are "supposed" to go together.

Images and music are rather different forms of media, and use different senses... you can't just directly compare them.
This

Cathy

Banned deucer.
As Firestorm said, you're already free to link to youtube in your signature, so anything more on this front is unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)