Wimpod, Golisopod Discussion

Can someone confirm this for me:
You can disable Emergency Exit for a turn by using a Z-Move. If you activate a Z-Move and your opponent acts first, dropping you below half, Emergency Exit will be ignored until you launch the Z-Move.

Either that, or it's a weird consequence of the fact that totem battles are treated as wild encounters, but at the same time you can't run away from them. So while Emergency Exit during a trainer battle would act like an Eject Button, during a wild encounter it would end the encounter, but you can't end a totem battle except by winning or getting wiped.

I have definitely heard multiple people confirm that Emergency Exit doesn't work on Totem battles because you can't run away from them and they are coded as wild pokemon battles not trainer battles. So Emergency exit would try to trigger the runaway effect rather than the switch effect it performs in trainer battles.

This is potential, my friends. Swords Dance exists... but, even with its 75/140/90 bulk... the low speed hurts. It has both Sucker Punch and First Impression, tho... like, holy cow. Isn't this why Kanghaskan is good? I guess it doesn't have a STAB return because X-Scissor is poopoo weak, but Liquidation is just gravy, honestly. I have no opinions on on the ability since I have so many questions about it, but yeah, I have high hopes for you, Golisopod. Don't let me down, you special snowflake.

This is potential, my friends. Swords Dance exists... but, even with its 75/140/90 bulk... the low speed hurts. It has both Sucker Punch and First Impression, tho... like, holy cow. Isn't this why Kanghaskan is good? I guess it doesn't have a STAB return because X-Scissor is poopoo weak, but Liquidation is just gravy, honestly. I have no opinions on on the ability since I have so many questions about it, but yeah, I have high hopes for you, Golisopod. Don't let me down, you special snowflake.
You don't want to run Swords Dance. You're forced to switched out at 50% HP and First Impression can only be used on the first turn.

The real question is: is this better or more viable then araquanid, in game? Is it better to run with this Pokémon gimicy u-turn, or araquanids monotype powerup?

Why would you use Swords Dance if its eventually going to get switched out? Also First Impression only works on the turn that it is sent out. It does have access to Sucker Punch & Aqua Jet (Egg Move) as well, so there is a potential that it can be a good Hit & Run revenge killer if the bug can survive a smack in the face.

Now the Z-Move Status effects gave Parting Shot & Memento the ability to fully heal another pokemon, this may help formulate a strategy if you truly want to make this guy work. Not to mention there are pokemon with the move Wish, and not to mention he has access to STAB Leech Life as well.

He's not a lost cause, far from it so it's just a matter of working with what you got. I believe that if he is not OU material, he'll at least be UU. Respectable bulk, good move pool, priority and a built in retreat that can help certain strategies/gimmicks.

Last edited:
I wouldn't compare this to Araqunid, honestly. Araqunid's purpose is to somehow survive one hit and then hit back really hard with a water attack, then it probably has expended it's usage.

Golisopod is meant to pop up repeatedly through the duration of a long battle, wear various physical attackers down with its strong priority attack. It'll have at least 3 chances to attack given how bulky it is. I feel like he'll be an amazing revenge killer against certain frail dark-type sweepers.

Down below will be a collective observation of what I seen of the Pokemon in OP's post and personal experience in the OU & UU meta. Addressing a few posts indirectly, but contributing to the discussion with my own thoughts.

I am thinking either Life Orb or Assault vest will do wonders for this guy since he's going to be something else this meta. It's really, really tough to judge where he is going to wind up with Gamefreaks changes this time around. I mean, a lot of us thought Megas would be Uber only and look at how some defined the game.

From personal experience, I believe he may have a certain niche for revenge killing and even more so if you work around the idea that he can work. He doesn't have to run U-Turn, he has his ability to do that for him, a double edge sword since he needs to be below 50%. Vest will let him survive a bit better, but Life Orb will help him destroy the opposition especially with that godsend +2 90BP STAB move he has under his belt.

He has the stats, he has the moves and the tools are there. This bug can do some work, I am very confident in that. But it just depends how everything else shapes up on where he is going to end up. So less on himself, and more on the surrounding meta is what will define our -Crush-tacean.

The fact that he has three priorities, decent bulk and a huge number of other pokemon that can assist him is really helping the bug out. I said it in an above post that Z-Moved Parting Shot & Memento fully restores the HP of a pokemon coming in, i.e. him to allow you to essentially reuse his Emergency Exit and he has the ability to use his First Impression at a +2 priority.

Not to mention there are Wish users that can help him a long ways, and if you're really desperate, just run Leech Life. Sure his speed is shit, but that didn't stop Mamoswine from being an absolute beast for a little while with that ice shard of his. I think I've seen a few people ridicule the ability, and I feel that he's purposely built around this ability for a gimmick that very well be his defining role.

Alas, it really, really depends how this meta is going to shape up. He has the tools, he has great potential, but it really does matter what will happen in my honest opinion.

Food for thought -- Will Life Orb trigger Emergency Exit? :)

Can someone confirm this for me:
You can disable Emergency Exit for a turn by using a Z-Move. If you activate a Z-Move and your opponent acts first, dropping you below half, Emergency Exit will be ignored until you launch the Z-Move.

Either that, or it's a weird consequence of the fact that totem battles are treated as wild encounters, but at the same time you can't run away from them. So while Emergency Exit during a trainer battle would act like an Eject Button, during a wild encounter it would end the encounter, but you can't end a totem battle except by winning or getting wiped.
I cannot confirm the above scenarios, but I can add a bit of random knowledge concerning the guy's ability. He prevents U-turn and volt-switch from working properly. i.e. Does not let them switch out.

Needs a bit of confirmation though, but it would be swank if this is true.

Why would you use Swords Dance if its eventually going to get switched out? Also First Impression only works on the turn that it is sent out. It does have access to Sucker Punch & Aqua Jet (Egg Move) as well, so there is a potential that it can be a good Hit & Run revenge killer if the bug can survive a smack in the face.

Now the Z-Move Status effects gave Parting Shot & Memento the ability to fully heal another pokemon, this may help formulate a strategy if you truly want to make this guy work. Not to mention there are pokemon with the move Wish, and not to mention he has access to STAB Leech Life as well.

He's not a lost cause, far from it so it's just a matter of working with what you got. I believe that if he is not OU material, he'll at least be UU. Respectable bulk, good move pool, priority and a built in retreat that can help certain strategies/gimmicks.
Honestly building a wish/z-parting shot/z-memento team around him sounds super fun. But even without that I think he'll be viable just because 3 strong priority attacks, good typing, great bulk, good attack

Honestly building a wish/z-parting shot/z-memento team around him sounds super fun. But even without that I think he'll be viable just because 3 strong priority attacks, good typing, great bulk, good attack
I'm thinking of using A-Persian with Z-Parting Shot and Snarl to lower attacking stats.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You guys need to stop thinking that Swords Dance means you have to go for a 6-0 once use it, lol. Even a Pokemon with an automatic switch-out ability can use Swords Dance to soften walls or other bulky threats, because you're not just going to sit there and pelt them with +0 Attacks for a 4HKO while they set up hazards on you.

Also, do people keep forgetting that Golisopod can just switch out to something stronger and better when its ability activates? That's kind of a good thing! Imagine Pheromosa or Xurkitree on its team. You are so fucked if those things get in for free.

Leech Life is mandatory imo. Would you run a Conkeldurr without Drain Punch? No? So why would you run Golisopod without Leech Life? Start thinking of this as a Bug/Water Conkeldurr with a different ability and its role becomes very clear.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really like this Pokemon. Emergency Exit can be a double-edged sword, but it still can bring a clutch Pokemon in the right time (Pherosma, Xurkitree, Dugtrio, lolMegaGengar).

My problem is it has a lot of cool things it can do. First Impression feels like a must, and it almost feels criminal to not have STAB Leech Life either. It gets Aqua Jet for situations outside of First Impression, Sucker Punch to catch out faster Ghost-types, Spikes, Swords Dance, Liquidation / Water Shell, Bulk Up... man I like this thing's movepool.

I feel it would be incredible for Assault Vest based on STAB First Impression, Aqua Jet, and Leech Life alone. I feel it also could be a great utility mon with its priority moves and access to Spikes. Life Orb certainly isn't bad either.

This mon really depends on how much Psychic Terrain is used IMO. Outside of that, I think it is one of my favorite Gen 7 mons to be honest.

Theorymon please shower this mon with Uber analysis. :(

Might be useful as last pokemon to use in a party. Good in 3vs3 formats if your in a safe way to apply Assault Vest Leech Life.

Otherwise, you could abuse Choice Band First Impression, while possibly using Emergency Exit as free switch after that (if the foe is still alive).

I did some comparison and this thing is roughly as tanky as a Mega Scizor even BEFORE the Assault Vest (75/140/90 vs. 70/140/100). That's nuts.

Obviously its typing is not as good and it doesn't get Roost, but Golisopod does come with very nice resistances to Ground, Fighting, and Water.

It'll have to be very cautious of Scald burns, but I'll honestly be shocked if we don't see this thing in OU running a First Impression/Leech Life/Liquidate/priority of choice set.

It blocks Volt-turn and First Impression lets it put the kibosh on stuff like Mega Gyarados, Hydreigon, Weavile, and Mega Alakazam. Crushes Ferrothorn 1v1 with Leech Life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)