Programming Working on A Pokemon BattleSim for Android/IOS/PC

Update 05/23/17
Working on the Dex for BattleItems and LearnSets for each Pokemon.
TeamBuilder Menu is underway.
Anyone wanna draw up a feature list?
Directions to images would also be nice.
---------------------------------------------
Update 05/20/17
Just finished a long week of preparing for a competition but I am finally free to start working on the project. I've moved my version over to unity3d and have begun to port some of the databases/entries into the solution. I've already created a parser to convert the pokedex.js into c# objects for the new dex. For those familiar with Unity, the Dex in the TeamBuilder will use an input-field that will filter out values in the new Dex. Probably going to make the actual battling pokemon a separate class than the entries .No problems so far. Still can't seem to find the sprites or images in the repo tho.

---------------------------------------------
Hello everybody, Just your local lurker starting a thread about a project I've started. I am a Programmer with a few game projects, one is on Steam, and currently 2 apps(college mobile app,Land Surveying application). All this to say up front that I will be working on the project mostly on the weekends and periodically. The first build will only have SM mechanics and lobbies.

Idea: A Sim with No RNG
First off, I think the PokemonShowdown client that McBeengs and co. are working on will eventually become the standard way to play PS mobile. It really wouldn't make much sense for me to recreate it,although IOS would be nice!
I want to make a sim with slightly different rules. Mainly, I want to remove RNG or the luck-based mechanics in the game and replace them with a more deliberate one. I know not many people might be interested in such a sim, but it is the one I want to make and I've been dreaming of it for years. I am currently creating a meter-based system for the actions that RNG normally handles.
So right now the meter is called the CommandMeter(?) and enables command moves. The meter right now has 10 units. and command moves cost meter to use. These moves are done in conjunction to the pokemons attacks. Think of them as the extension of the trainers will on the outcome of a turn. Most of them mimic phrases or scenarios seen in the anime and have parallels to the luck based high/low rolls the game currently employs.
Some command Moves include:

1. Evade/Dodge - currently a variable cost.Currently the formula is to Evade when M >= (A/10)*
    where:
    M = meter chosen to dodge
    A = accuracy of opponents move
    So,one would need 6 bars to dodge a move that was originally 50%.
    Might factor Power later so things like FireBlast aren't spammed all around.Formula is WIP

2. Z-Move - Max meter is needed allows any applicable move to become a Z-Move*

3. CriticalHit - Might be removed or Half of the Z-move requirement

4. (Focus)AbnormalStatus - A pokemon will be able to spend meter for the 'good roll' of a status ailment. This means attacking under PAR or CON and downright ending the ones that disappear over time. Think of using 1 or 2 bars to attack while paralyzed.
  5. Enforce - Similar to above only this time the secondary effect of the attackers move is enabled or improved for a cost.
Meter is increased by one* bar each turn* and but not exclusively:
  • X amount when a switch occurs that would cause an attack to be 'nullified' or 'ineffective'
  • When a command move is used but has no effect. Ex: using Evade the turn a player used Recover/Protect
  • A hit with a 'Super-effective' attack*.
  • When a pokemon is KO'ed. (Both players)*
So, lets say it was Gengar(2 bars) vs Lucario(8 bars)
That Lucario could select Evade and choose up to 8 bars to Dodge an anticipated Focus Blast and Earthquake in the same turn. Now the Evade cost is done in advance so the Gengar could anticipate the Evade and use Protect instead. This would waste the 8 bars and give the Gengar some bars for 'evading' the Evade.

Other Game Changes:
  1. Some moves/abilities will be adjusted - PP/BP/ACC/PROC will remain unchanged
  2. Speed ties will be removed - attacks will simply hit both sides based on the type effectiveness on the offensive moves.

Currently Working On:
  • BattleUI - The menu for the Battles is nearly done and just needs the appropriate hooks and dex-data
  • Pokedex - Currently Looking for Images, Sprites, or Animations . Grateful for help here.
  • Teambuilder - Similar to the Pokedex entry, I just need a table of some sort with all the moves and abilities
    Some of these I'll just have web-scrapped if no one provides them to me by the time I get parts of the projects that need them.
  • AI battling. I have a friend helping me with this.
  • Update System is essentially done. I'm just using code I wrote for an older project. Just going to add some stuff specific to Pokemon.
* = subject to change

I'd love to know your thoughts. As I said before I'm making this no matter what so regardless of the support I'll be updating this thread as I get further along the way(unless this thread is in the wrong spot and get's removed). In some regards the project is harder because a lot of concepts have to be completely redone. But other things get easier too! I'm trying to come up with a lot more meter increase situations so I you have any I'd like to know. The project is young so as long as I get mechanic ideas/critiques early on, I can consider implementing/integrating them better. Thanks for your time.

TL;DR - I want 100% percent accurate HydroPumps.

Last edited:
Finally Got the Pokedex integrated it's 90% done. Even the Created-Mons are in. All Forms are in as well. The attached ScreenShot has an example in the Right Side of the editor. Next, I'll work on the TeamBuilder. Other Image is a shot of some code. I'm taking the Pokedex.js in the PokeShowdown repo and parsing the lines into tokens. The tokens are keys that unlock a function that works with the current pokemon and the type of information to store. I'll Store the Dex in a file when its finished.
Screenshot 2017-05-20 23.22.22.png

Screenshot 2017-05-20 23.29.07.png

Is it possible to I help in something, and how?
Note that I dont know nothing about coding, but I can help searching for the moves/sprites/etc that you metioned on your To-Do list

Is it possible to I help in something, and how?
Note that I dont know nothing about coding, but I can help searching for the moves/sprites/etc that you metioned on your To-Do list
Thanks for the offer to help! If you could get me access to sprites that would be great. Then, I could just plug them to the dex I made.
I went on hiatus(due to working on some other contracted work an some games of my own), but if people provide me with materials like you, then I will put in the time asap. I DO plan to start back up proper in Mid October tho.

Oh and I am working on a platformer with level editor/sharing mechanics. Anyone wanna beta?
Also, I made a realtime Fire-Emblem game with Online pvp and realtime mechanics take a look:

https://www.patreon.com/Cenobium

There are currently 22 playable classes. It was GreenLit on Steam but I decided to hold off on releasing until I get an artist to change the assets.
As a matter of fact, I could easily make a Pokemon version with the same engine if anyone could provide the assets/models.
Imagine Dodging and attacking in realtime w pokemon!

Reactions: Wob
Thanks for the offer to help! If you could get me access to sprites that would be great. Then, I could just plug them to the dex I made.
I went on hiatus(due to working on some other contracted work an some games of my own), but if people provide me with materials like you, then I will put in the time asap. I DO plan to start back up proper in Mid October tho.

Oh and I am working on a platformer with level editor/sharing mechanics. Anyone wanna beta?
Also, I made a realtime Fire-Emblem game with Online pvp and realtime mechanics take a look:

https://www.patreon.com/Cenobium

There are currently 22 playable classes. It was GreenLit on Steam but I decided to hold off on releasing until I get an artist to change the assets.
As a matter of fact, I could easily make a Pokemon version with the same engine if anyone could provide the assets/models.
Imagine Dodging and attacking in realtime w pokemon!
Ok, so you want the sprites/models to all the pokémons in gen 7? Ok, Ill try to get they.
And yes I accept testing that beta for that platformer.

Will Showdown eventually be on the App Store? I’m confused about this lol
Already tryed, but it went down because of legal issues of the app store. Probably this one will be from download, but not from the app store but
from another dowload site.

Will Showdown eventually be on the App Store? I’m confused about this lol
To confirm, yes, the download will be hosted on another site. I am making my own version with customize-able rules and other features.
If you want to help out I am looking for a nicely formatted table of the Pokemon movesets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)