"Worst Pokémon Ever"

Here's my list of Pokémon that suck competitively and in terms of design:

Hitmonlee: It looks like a small, brown, and mentally challenged version of Yellow Devil from Mega Man. Also, it's HP stat is fucking horrible, making it's already crappy defense stat and somewhat decent special defense useless.

Pyukumuku/Wynaut/Wobbuffet: Where do I even begin? Oh, i'll start off with the fact that neither one of them know a single straightforward attack move! And what's the point of giving Pyukumuku a move that just changes the opponent's typing to water, and giving Wynaut and Wobbuffet Splash? Also, Pyukumuku looks weird, and Wynaut and Wobbuffet are blobs with faces. Don't ever use these Pokémon unless you want to get your ass handed to you.

Sunflora: Oh look! It's a flower with a face! And guess what? It has horrible base stats as well! Seriously, this walking sunflower with a face has no use in competitive play, except maybe for setting up Sunny Day.

Purugly: It looks like a smaller, uglier version of Big The Cat. Also, it's stats are pretty bad. Sorry gamefreak, but horrible HP and defensive stats just won't do.

Alolan Raticate: And to think the original Raticate was bad. This thing is 4× weak to fighting, has a lower attack stat than it's original version, and looks like it's trying to hold a thousand acorns in it's cheeks. Also, like the original Raticate, it has pretty bad stats overall.

Archeops: First off, It looks like a bird on lots of steroids. Secondly, It's ability is useless. Third, it's defensive stats are not enough to keep Defeatist from kicking in.

Smeargle: I honestly don't know why people use this thing. All of it's stats suck, except it's speed, which isn't enough to outspeed most Pokémon out there. Also, he's basically just Snoopy as a painter.

Parasect: Bad HP and Speed, 4x Weakness to Flying and Fire type moves, and has a creepy looking face.

Probopass/Bastiodon: Like Parasect, they have a 4× weakness to 2 things, which pretty much makes their awesome defensive stats useless, and the fact that one looks like Mario and the other looks like a bulldog on drugs doesn't make that any better.

Dugtrio/Dodrio: Both only have good attack and speed, and they are just triplets of their pre evolutions.

Combee: Horrible HP, Offensive and Defensive stats, bad movepool, and terrible design. The only good things about this stupid shit are it's speed, and the fact that it learns bug buzz.

Alomomola: Gen 5 version of Luvdisc. Nuff said.

Last edited:

Hitmonlee: It looks like a small, brown, and mentally challenged version of Yellow Devil from Mega Man. Also, it's HP stat is fucking horrible, making it's already crappy defense stat and somewhat decent special defense useless.

Pyukumuku/Wynaut/Wobbuffet: Where do I even begin? Oh, i'll start off with the fact that neither one of them know a single straightforward attack move! And what's the point of giving Pyukumuku a move that just changes the opponent's typing to water, and giving Wynaut and Wobbuffet Splash? Also, Pyukumuku looks weird, and Wynaut and Wobbuffet are blobs with faces. Don't ever use these Pokémon unless you want to get your ass handed to you.

Sunflora: Oh look! It's a flower with a face! And guess what? It has horrible base stats as well! Seriously, this walking sunflower with a face has no use in competitive play, except maybe for setting up Sunny Day.

Purugly: It looks like a smaller, uglier version of Big The Cat. Also, it's stats are pretty bad. Sorry gamefreak, but horrible HP and defensive stats just won't do.

Alolan Raticate: And to think the original Raticate was bad. This thing is 4× weak to fighting, has a lower attack stat than it's original version, and looks like it's trying to hold a thousand acorns in it's cheeks. Also, like the original Raticate, it has pretty bad stats overall.

Archeops: First off, It looks like a bird on lots of steroids. Secondly, It's ability is useless. Third, it's defensive stats are not enough to keep Defeatist from kicking in.

Smeargle: I honestly don't know why people use this thing. All of it's stats suck, except it's speed, which isn't enough to outspeed most Pokémon out there. Also, he's basically just Snoopy as a painter.

Parasect: Bad HP and Speed, 4x Weakness to Flying and Fire type moves, and has a creepy looking face.

Probopass/Bastiodon: Like Parasect, they have a 4× weakness to 2 things, which pretty much makes their awesome defensive stats useless, and the fact that one looks like Mario and the other looks like a bulldog on drugs doesn't make that any better.

Dugtrio/Dodrio: Both only have good attack and speed, and they are just triplets of their pre evolutions.

Combee: Horrible HP, Offensive and Defensive stats, bad movepool, and terrible design. The only good things about this stupid shit are it's speed, and the fact that it learns bug buzz.

I use/like about half of these. But yeah some of your points are valid.

Hitmonlee: I agree.

Pyukumuku/Wynaut/Wobuffet: Gimmick mons. That's the only reason I like them. Wynaut?

Purugly: I don't like how it looks too.

Alolan Raticate: Neutral on this.

Archeops: I think it's ok, but it just nerfs it too hard.

Smeargle: It's very very versatile. That's why people use it.

Parasect/Probopass/Bastiodon: Yeah good arguments.

Dugtrio: makes up in competitive

Dodrio: ok.

Combee: ok.

Alomomola: Makes up in competitive.

Smeargle appearances quite frequently in all tiers of competitive are because it can literally learn every move. Expecially the combination of Spore, Fake Out and basically any other utility move you might want is unique to Smeargle, expecially in doubles where it allows you to cripple an opponent essentially for free.
And well, Dark Void existed before gen 7.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist

Hitmonlee/Archeops/Purugly - Yeah I agree that Hitmonlee's design is interesting (in a bad way) and honestly kinda underwhelming. Purugly's design is also pretty bad imo. Though not sure why you brought up their defensive stats since all 3 of these mons are meant to be offensive rather than defensive. Also Archeops's ability is probably meant to keep this bird from going haywire in competitive or something.

Pyukumuku - I actually find it to be oddly charming anyways, it was good when Baton Pass was still a thing. But yeah no reason to use Pyukumuku over Quagsire at this point.

Wyanut/Wobbuffet - Wyanut is also oddly charming but, I do agree that Wobbuffet is kinda odd looking (also in a bad way). Though Wobbuffet would still be usable if Shadow Tag was unbanned (which typically guarantees a knock out since you can easily just click Counter/Mirror Coat on a trapped Pokemon because they are forced to attack), however, Wyanut has been seeing success in LC as a potent trapper.

Sunflora - Yeah this mon is terrible and it's design is so unoriginal (like really, a flower with a face) though it could actually be usable if it had more Speed since 105 Special Attack is not too shabby in lower tiers.

Alolan Raticate - Also don't get why GF made it a fatter Raticate but, it has shown to be 10x more successful than regular Raticate in NU despite its lower Attack.

Smeargle - I mean people use it because it can learn any move in the game (except Dark Void since only Darkrai can use it). In singles it is almost always the go-to suicide lead (access to all 3 hazards and Spore) and it is a fantastic support Pokemon in doubles/VGC (with access to Spore / Fake Out / Mat Block etc. as well as good Speed).

Alomomola - Terrible in-game but fantastic in competitive due to Regenerator and ability to pass large Wishes.

Looking at the Alolan Raticate dex entry (bith the one shown in the Anime and the in game ones), Alolan Raticate is kind of a criminal boss amongst the Rattatas.

The fatty, condescending look probably meant to mimic/joke over a actual fattish criminal boss commanding his subordinates.

Purugly is a case of bad stats distribution: Normal STAB can be passable for neutral coverage, 112 base Spe is very good, but the Atk stat is too low (even taking in account Defiant).
GF wasted too many points into its SpA and its physical coverage moves have middling base power. I don't know why this this thing doesn't learn Crunch (only Bite).
Regarding the concept, it is difficult to think that a fat cat is so fast: if I look at it, I think immediately that Purugly is slow, but bulky.
Then I see the stats and I find that I'm wrong.

If Purugly was meant to have a defensive role (with Thick Fat, which fits its design perfectly), then its Def and SpD are lackluster to work with and its Spe uselessly high.

===> nice concept, but unfocused result.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
===> nice concept, but unfocused result.
This is one of the defining traits of most bad Pokémon in my eyes. The worst ones lack the "nice concept" bit too (Lumineon, every Pikaclone, Chingling, to name a few), where they just ran with a poor idea out of laziness/need to fill the 'dex, but there's something bad to be said about a halfway-good design that didn't make it as well.

I think Onix needs to be mentioned in this regard. A fantastic design, and one of the most badass Pokémon ever in lore (seriously, how would you even begin trying to defeat that thing, it's a ten-meter rock snake that moves lightning fast above ground and isn't slowed down a bit while burrowing), but its in-game attributes must have been severely weakened due to the need for having it in the first Gym. Likewise, I find the idea behind Noctowl very cool - an owl with psychic powers - but then it was made an early-route bird and consequently got terrible stats and a likewise movepool.

That being said, after some thinking I feel inclined to agree with Frozocrone, who brought up Krabby about a year ago (and that's the only mention of it in this thread, to my surprise). It is a bog-standard cartoonized crab. Its Japanese name is literally "crab". Somebody made a "crabby" (=grouchy, grumpy) pun in translation to English, but "Krabby" is not the most creative name conceivable for a crab Pokémon. And it evolves into a bigger, cartoonized crab. Almost surprised it wasn't named Crabbish. These designs were clearly made and approved past five o'clock on a Friday, when there were 98 finished Pokémon designs before it, and a meeting with the design head honcho was coming up.

Is it too early to list UB Assembly and UB Burst here? I would list out what's wrong wirh their designs but it would just be a longer version of this saying: "those dont even look like Pokemon"

Is it too early to list UB Assembly and UB Burst here? I would list out what's wrong wirh their designs but it would just be a longer version of this saying: "those dont even look like Pokemon"
I only saw the thumbnail, and I want to say that one is a Xurkitree that became a clown with a Nihilego's hat and the other is Gumshoos' Wall

To be honest, even if their design looks "ridicolous", one has to understand that all Ultrabeasts are meant to have extremely weird / out of place design, since in the end they are "pokemon from another twisted universe completely different from our".

It's not like Pheromosa, Kartana or Xurkitree are any less weird, in the end.

I feel like the only one who likes Assembly and Burst. And who knows? Maybe they could be awesome in battle. Assembly could have monstrous defensive stats while Burst could be a great special attacker.

You aren't alone, i love them both <3

Strictly speaking of UB stats, seeing the trend is "very high somewhere with extremely low somewhere else", Wall could simply have extremely high defenses with low hp and attacks (think same fashion as Shuckle), while the other one could potentially be another "very fast squishy" like Pheromosa or high damage squishy like Xurki.

and ball with eyes (Voltorb), magnet with eyes(Magnemite), pile of sludge with eyes and a mouth (Grimer), letters with eyes(Unown), a piece of coral (Corsola), A pinecone, golem's made from rock, ice, and steel(The Regi's), a mutated space virus(Deoxys), and more look like Pokemon? Hell, what is a Pokemon supposed to look like

I know you hate the newer generation Pokemon designs, but it isn't new, like at all.

and ball with eyes (Voltorb), magnet with eyes(Magnemite), pile of sludge with eyes and a mouth (Grimer), letters with eyes(Unown), a piece of coral (Corsola), A pinecone, golem's made from rock, ice, and steel(The Regi's), a mutated space virus(Deoxys), and more look like Pokemon? Hell, what is a Pokemon supposed to look like

I know you hate the newer generation Pokemon designs, but it isn't new, like at all.
Wasnt gonna reply if not for that lasy sentence. NO. I'm fine with Pokemon from any gen. I'm just not fine with Pokemon that are overtly weird/ hideously looking

Which again, means you are not understanding the whole lore behind UBs.

They are *meant* to be looking hideous and weird, because they come from a different and twisted universe.

Their entire design point is to look weird/otherworldy and have stats that overally make no sense in current Pokemon World.

Which they succeed pretty well at.

Whenever one can like the idea or not, is a different issue, but that is the intended design and a pretty successful one.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
I for one think the new UBs look great, but I can see why they would take some getting used to. I'll elaborate more in the Designs thread, since it would be rather off-topic here.

You could probably go ahead and say that none of the UBs really resemble what we'd consider typical Pokemon designs, and I find that to be one of their best traits. After 7 Generations of designing hundreds of Pokémon, the designers are still able to create things that not only look unique, but possess a quirkiness in their art and animations that separates them entirely. It really speaks to how well they've fleshed out what it means to be a Pokémon, and highlights a fluidity that I wasn't sure Game Freak still had.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
You could probably go ahead and say that none of the UBs really resemble what we'd consider typical Pokemon designs, and I find that to be one of their best traits.
I think we have to stop thinking about what is "typical", and more about what is possible. The limitations the designers had to work under have changed drastically over the years, as technology has improved, and the old design conventions were mostly a result of what the hardware at the time could handle. Two-colour designs, simple geometries, no patterns because of low resolution screens, the Pokémon had to look good as a static image, etc. As the games involve more 3D models and even 3D animations, the designers are free to make whatever they want, instead of sticking to what can be displayed in the games (or even in the Anime, back when its animation was cheap and static too - notice how original Ash's face was basically a pair of huge eyes and a mouth you only ever saw from one angle, like an emoticon?).

More on this here, by the way.

Well Codraroll I wasn't really iterating on the specifics of "looks good / looks bad / is detailed" but more on the actual design behind them.

Making UBs look "otherworldy, out of place, essentially impossible to exist in our universe" was the design goal, and in my opinion it was extremely well executed.

Exactly. That's like hating The Room for being a shit movie. It's supposed to be bad.
Now, now, I don't think that's a fair comparison. Tommy Wiseau was trying his damn hardest to make a good film, and as far as he's concerned, he succeeded.*

The new UB's, I'm not a fan of the burst one, but the wall is amazing. If the shiny is pink, it would be perfect.

*as a completely non-Pokemon aside, I ordered a pair of Tommy Wiseau brand boxer shorts** from The Room shop. In the package I received a signed, topless photo of him, with the caption, 'May all your dreams come true'. It's framed on my bedside table.

**If you're wondering, yes, they're comfy and easy to wear.

Now, now, I don't think that's a fair comparison. Tommy Wiseau was trying his damn hardest to make a good film, and as far as he's concerned, he succeeded.*

The new UB's, I'm not a fan of the burst one, but the wall is amazing. If the shiny is pink, it would be perfect.

*as a completely non-Pokemon aside, I ordered a pair of Tommy Wiseau brand boxer shorts** from The Room shop. In the package I received a signed, topless photo of him, with the caption, 'May all your dreams come true'. It's framed on my bedside table.

**If you're wondering, yes, they're comfy and easy to wear.
At least both have possible jokes.

Another discussion point: Is there anything cool about Hoothoot? It looks weird. (creepy and has 1 leg?

It actually has 2 legs, it simply stands on one at time for... whatever reason.

I always liked Hoot Hoot's design personally, but that's just be meing weird I believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)