XXXI Olympic Games - Rio 2016

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
What an amazing games this has been so far. So many athletes going above and beyond what they have ever done before.

I'm especially happy team GB have moved ahead of China on the medal table... We could end this Olympics second on the table behind the might of America. We have another guaranteed gold tonight (in the next 50 mins or so) in the Mens Sprint and then another in the Sailing, another possibility in the Tennis. We also have Mark cavendish and Laura Trott to go in the Omniums too.

I want to bring up the fantastic performance of the Fiji Rugby 7's team. Team GB looked like they didn't know what hit them and the playmaking of the Fijians was absolutely incredible. They never held onto the ball, kept it up and kept it moving. GB had no answer to their style of play and I was actually very happy that Team GB lost so badly.

Amazing jumping by the Americans in the long jump, but frustration with the last jump by scraping his hand into the sand to record a much shorter jump than he actually produced. Form was pretty bad for that. Shouldn't have happened and the coach went berserk!

good,we need those medals next Olympics to push the top of the medal table :P
only 9 behind.
TEAM GB IS COMING

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It would've been funnier if it was Austria-Hungary and not Australia

But I mean the Austr and ia parts were right so that's something

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Stop right there. Serbia just sent you back to the bronze age, buddy.
We'd beaten them by double digits once before and were playing the best basketball of any non US team in the tournament to that point. I don't think anybody could have seen a stinker of such epic proportions coming. A loss, maybe. Shooting 20something% from the field and < 15% from three? Lol nope.

ButteredToast

Classy use of a terrorist group's symbol there buddy. Do you even know wtf that sign means. Surely you do seeing as you had to google the fucking thing

The Serbian athletes have done very well and deserve respect, but using that symbol to represent them is a disgrace and you should be embarrassed

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
If you take out Swimming entirely, GB actually comes top and we scored the most medals across the most different sports iirc... That's pretty fucking cool considering our small population! Shame about Daley in the diving though, scored one of the highest scores ever and then was absolutely no where in the semi... Was pretty devastating for him but he wasn't anywhere near on form in that Semi.

So happy Farah did the double as well. I think he's going to "do a Bolt" and run at the world champs next year and then not compete on the track after, however there are rumours he might try and Qualify for Tokyo 2020 in the Marathon. That'll be interesting for sure, and would cement his place as one of the greatest long distance runners of all time.

I am pretty worried about how the Paralympics are going to be handled though, there have been loads of problems with money and they are already shutting down certain parts of the Olympic park because they cannot afford to keep them running. Brazil's Olympic venues are going to end up the same as the ones in Athens, husks of former glory in a year or less imo.

So since the Olympics is over and after seeing some amazing displays of athletic ability and hard work paying off, what were your favorite events to see? I saw the Women's Trampoline for the first time a few days ago and I find it amazing how they jump that high to do their flips and stuff; I'm used to the trampoline at my house only springing me a foot and a half in the air :P Also the Volleyball was really fun to watch, in particular France was down 2-0 in a best of five and then almost made a comeback vs the US, was pretty exciting.

Oh yeah if you want you could also discuss other aspects of the Olympics like what you thought of the location, performances of individual athletes in a certain event like say Usain Bolt or that girl Katie Lendecky that beat her own world record in the 1500m freestyle. Most things are probably fair game imo.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My buddy from high school was repping the doubles Canadian volleyball team, so that was fun to watch n_n

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
So since the Olympics is over and after seeing some amazing displays of athletic ability and hard work paying off, what were your favorite events to see? I saw the Women's Trampoline for the first time a few days ago and I find it amazing how they jump that high to do their flips and stuff; I'm used to the trampoline at my house only springing me a foot and a half in the air :P Also the Volleyball was really fun to watch, in particular France was down 2-0 in a best of five and then almost made a comeback vs the US, was pretty exciting.

Oh yeah if you want you could also discuss other aspects of the Olympics like what you thought of the location, performances of individual athletes in a certain event like say Usain Bolt or that girl Katie Lendecky that beat her own world record in the 1500m freestyle. Most things are probably fair game imo.
My buddy from high school was repping the doubles Canadian volleyball team, so that was fun to watch n_n

i merged these posts from your cong thread here, as there was already a thread for this. use this thread please

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
always love watching tennis and basketball. our tennis player Del Potro did amazing this year and we couldn't be any more proud + Ginobili's retirement made us all sad :( watched some sort of gymanastics for the first time and it was so beautiful

Now that it's over I have to say despite all the negativity about Rio in the lead up the games were absolutely amazing. Very glad to see GB beat China in the medal table especially considering the powerhouse China is. Japanese PM emerging from a pipe in a Mario outfit was the best thing ever. As for the sports itself I enjoyed pretty much every one of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)