XY/ORAS Underused Battle Replay Thread

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hello, unlike in every other tier, this thread will not become a cesspool for mediocre replays between two decent-at-best battlers; only battles of the highest quality will be posted here. This thread will be locked in order to ensure the aforementioned goal.

If you wish to have one of your battles posted here, send me a PM with the link to the replay (no logs, sorry!) and I will review it with whoever is on IRC at the time to determine if its good enough. You should submit a short summary of your thought process (when did you identify your win condition, how were you planning to achieve it, etc), so it can be posted alongside the replay should it be accepted.

Be sure you get permission from your opponent before submitting the replay!

Good luck!

Post good replays here, you don't need permission anymore but this thread will be closely moderated to keep the standards high :] Let's see the best replays you have to offer!

Last edited by a moderator:

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Our first submission is a test battle between Limitless and myself.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uubeta-1748

During this game, we both had one Pokemon which put a lot of pressure on the other's team. Tornadus-T being my main one and his being Mienshao, so watch to see how it turns out! We both made some small mistakes which we realized after the game, but that didn't stop this from being one of the best games we have played recently.

kokoloko

Our second submission is a game between FLCL and myself.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uubeta-3917

The team I'm using is pretty much the same as the one I used versus Limitless in the above replay (I love the Suicune / Umbreon / Tornadus / Nidoqueen core :]). From a team preview point of view, you can see that Suicune wasn't going to be doing much vs a team with Vaporeon, Chesnaught, and Florges, and that Houndoom was never going to sweep unless I managed to either kill or burn his Tornadus. While he had a solid answer to my own Tornadus in Rhyperior, the game ended up being a late-game Tornadus battle, which just goes to show that Tornadus is one of the best Pokemon in the metagame. Watch the replay to see how it ends up!

kokoloko

Our third submission is a game between Limitless and Psychotic

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-103034159

Write-up by Psychotic.

In this game, Limitless was running a balanced core of Florges / Slowbro / Forretress along with interesting, fairly uncommon, Pokemon in bulky Mega Aerodactyl and Trevenant. My team was Hyper Offense Sticky Web, with Specs Exploud and Mega Houndoom to break walls and Sharpedo and Zyguarde to sweep. I saw that the only thing stopping Houndoom from destroying him was Aerodactyl and Florges, so my plan was to get Stealth Rock up and wear these two down. His plan was to keep Stealth Rock off the field with Forretress and wear my team down with his walls, keeping his Houndoom checks healthy. Some hax on both sides made this game come right down to the wire. Watch this shit and see for yourself.

kokoloko

I kind of wish other people would send me good replays, lol.

Our fourth submission is a fun game between King UU and myself.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-112252558

Don't let the score fool you, this battle was one of the more intense battle's I have played lately. Anyway, right off the bat I see that the two roadblocks preventing a Raikou sweep for me are Umbreon and Swampert, with Ampharos to pivot into it if needed. The biggest threat to me from his team is Victini, as it can 1-2HKO my entire team by just clicking V-create, once Qwilfish is slightly weakened (which isn't hard to do because I don't run Pain Split on it). Forretress is also a big threat to me, as it can stack hazards on multiple members of my team and Volt Switch out of Starmie to make Rapid Spinning difficult. A series of accurate predictions and an unexpected set ended up opening the game for one of us, watch it to see how it turned out!

K so koko told me I could post it, so here goes nada.

The fifth submission is a long game between Shivers and moi.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-111121803

This game features my semi-stall team with Klefki against a very annoying Voltturn team with three Regenerator mons. I pretty soon see that my CM Slowbro is gonna be my wincon once MegaMan is down, and I can avoid Spore easily due to the opponent's Entei. However, a series of good plays by my opponent and some rng flops made the game more interesting and put me in an uncomfortable position twice midgame. Hax on both sides makes it an even match for most of the time. This game also shows how resilient Slowbro is! But watch it, I don't wanna spoil more.

Double posting ftw

The sixth submission is an interesting game I had with King UU

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-115041576

This game is very cool because it features some uncommon sets that ultimately shift the tide to the other side. Mine is a bulky offense team featuring two hard hitters in Rose and Heracross, and a sand core in Mega Aero + Hippo with Slowbro and Florges as the backbone. King UU is a bulky team with Umbreon + Swampert as the backbone, with Forry to set up hazards and Victini-Crobat-Mega Ampharos as a Voltturn core to control the tempo. Now I gotta admit that I felt in total control of the game for the most of it (hence my plays), and that confidence almost had the better of me. The endgame is a bunch of 50/50s where anyone can end up taking the win!

Mazz Edit: Cool team you got there Ernesto
Y very cool. Also try not to lose to double switches like those on sunday :o

kokoloko

Had a very cool game versus one "stuu" on the ladder yesterday and I want to share.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-122975114

One of the more interesting games I've had lately. His team was balance with the good ol' Florges / Mega Aggron core, backed up by Scarf Hydreigon, Nidoking, Starmie, and the very scary Choice Band Heracross. I was using Empire. The game started with the lead matchup in his favor (Starmie is one of the few things that scare Froslass, and my team in general), so I had to outmaneuver him pretty much the entire game in order to win. Watch the replay and see what happens!

Last edited by a moderator:

kokoloko

I was snooping around the recent replays and found this gem of a game between FLCL and Swamp Link. Hope you guys don't mind me posting it!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-123178301

Be warned, this is a pretty lengthy game. FLCL's team is semi-stall with Fletchinder to play the role of a revenge killer and potential sweeper and Swamp Link's team is bulky offense with Toxic support. Swamp Link grabbed the advantage early game by dismantling FLCL's core, but FLCL played incredibly well to stay in the game for over 100 turns. Did he manage to win? Who knows. Watch the replay and see how it turned out!

kokoloko

This is game I played versus user: dingbat this morning, one of the more enjoyable ones I have had lately.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-138153136

Our teams were of a similar structure: Blissey balance backed up by Choice Band Heracross for wall-breaking and fast hazard control (Crobat for him and Starmie for me). I didn't really have any good answers for his Heracross while he had his Crobat (I don't run Stone Edge, but there's no way for him to know that), so I spent a lot of energy trying to prevent his from getting a free switchin. Watch the battle to see how it turns out!

kokoloko

The next submisson is a ladder game between users Limitless and Sage of the 6

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-142485846

commentary by Sage of the 6.

I was running my Dark Horse team, based around utility cobalion and the slowbro/amoonguss core. He was running a strong balance team. Throughout the game some key factors were that 4 of his 6 mons had U-turn. I knew i needed my Slowbro's Rocky Helmet to win this match so i thought amoonguss could take a hit from donphan and reply with Giga Drain. His donphan does 2hko with rocks, but luckily by matchup amonguss would not have helped me much other than spore. We continued using our bulky pivots, me my slowbro and aromatisse, him his jirachi and donphan. Our teams were in a deadlock for awhile, until i made a bold play of trying to bring Krook in on a Bolt Strike, which didnt go well. Burns and Rocky Helmet were starting to chip away at his team. I couldn't bring stealth rocks into play since his donphan walls my Cobalion and he kept u-turning to it. With Hydra gone, I sacced my Aromatisse so his Hera would be close to dead. Then his Donphan crits my slowbro, and I'm thinking I'm done. But ampharos comes in and im using her naturally higher speed than donphan to go for a D-pulse, and get the crit on Jirachi. So trading crits we wipe out the defensive mons. I see bandcross come in and i sac krookodile knowing that he loses to victini anyway. I still have hope as i bring in mega amph to take a hit from crobat, and i just miss the T-bolt kill. Limitless's smart U-turning kept Stealth Rock off the field and it saved him the game. Victini proceeds to kill my mega ampharos, and I only have Cobalion. Now i know its basically over, since Crobat beats me 1v1. I go for rocks hoping he switches to bat knowing I outspeed, but he predicts and V-creates to victory. Overall best match I've had in along time. I woke up from my early blunders with good defensive switch ins mid game to keep me competitive. Limitless' strong U-turn core was hard to break, and only once his Rachi and my Slowbro were killed did the game speed up.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-152668431

This was a game between Bluwing and me on the ladder this morning.

The game really came down to who was better able to utilize their Choice Scarf Hydreigon. In my opinion, the turning point of the match was him actually sacking his Jirachi early game. What this allowed me to do was just spam Dragon Pulse. This game also showcased how dominant Mega Ampharos is at the moment. Either way, it was a great game that came down to the wire.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Alright I'mma take a stab at this. I haven't heard from koko yet if he cares but I'm sure he doesn't cuz it's me ;o

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-154042906

This is a match between the bulky offense I've been using since it did well in Grand Slam. Decided to put good use to the core koko posted in the Metagame Trends topic. My opponent is relatively unknown but respectable ladder player Jolton using some nice strong Lucario Balance.

Since my team wasn't meant to take on the Manaphy metagame, that thing ended up threatening me from start to finish. However most balance teams lacking Mew or Blissey end up being weak to Nidoqueen, so I was able to capitalize on that just as much. Some underrated sets that have been translating into recent trends also show their merit in this battle. Expert Belt Raikou, SD Virizion, Granbull, and Acrobatics Crobat. The last one was actually key to the outcome of this battle so be sure to see how it turns out ;o

Nas

Banned deucer.
I'm unlocking this since it's basically dead, so anyone can post replays here now. However, this thread will be closely moderated and shit replays will be deleted and/or infracted, so use common sense when deciding if a replay is good enough to post please. Also follow the guidelines outlined in the op (short summary of the game/your thought process)

Last edited:

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Alright cool, I'll be the first one to post a (hopefully not shitty) replay between me (Kitten Milk ) and xMarth (st123 )

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-165602457

In this battle, Marth's SubCM Raikou immediately jumps out at me as the biggest threat. The only thing I have that outspeeds it (scarf Chandelure) can't do a whole ton of damage to it once it's boosted up, and it can easily run through the rest of my team with a little bit of prior damage. Fortunately, I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve - a convincing bluff and a surprising LO Hydreigon set allow me to limit Umbreon's ability to WishPass and Raikou's ability to set up. Although there are a couple of chokes on my end in the middle, the ending was fairly decisive.

The main purpose of sharing this replay isn't to show a great battle (although it was a good battle, even if it was sort of decided in the early turns), but rather to show the effectiveness of the Hydreigon set. It works very well on a spike-stacking team to rack up damage on common switch-ins (like Florges) without having to rely on inaccurate coverage moves or heavy prediction, and can keep hydreigon from being set-up bait after it gets drops from Superpower / Draco Meteor.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm unlocking this since it's basically dead, so anyone can post replays here now. However, this thread will be closely moderated and shit replays will be deleted and/or infracted, so use common sense when deciding if a replay is good enough to post please. Also follow the guidelines outlined in the op (short summary of the game/your thought process)
I shall try to do it justice :)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-165853302

Many, many people have approached me asking about how the volt-turn team will survive with the loss of Victini. I have been experimenting with Band Infernape and Band Darmanitan, hoping for either of the following: (1) that the loss of power from v-create would be subsidized by close-combat, or (2) that Darmi's shitty bulk would not interfere with it's ability to hit as hard as tini. Darm won in my testing phaze, as having access to Earthquake is a huge benefit to my team (aside from the swampert).

This battle is between myself and I<3Magikarp. He's an above average player that contributes interesting sets. In particular, notice how he gained the upper hand early in the battle that set the pace for the rest of the match. A couple of good predictions on my end finally managed to set the tide of the battle. This back and forth badboy is really fun to watch, especially in the first half of the match.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, I have another submission, featuring myself against FateOfTheMonado, while I was using my research week team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167474584

After 100~ battles, I've finally figured out a way to make this research team into a top tier team. In this battle, I manage to hold control over most of the match due to team cohesion. However, FateOfTheMonado has a strong "industrial" core, and had a few surprises for me that kept me on my toes throughout the whole match. Who wins this one? Click to find out ;)

BONUS REPLAY:
Me vs Lol1z, watch the Volt-turn nerds share friendly banter about new gen.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167532496

Last edited:
Yo, Fat Lenny here with an intense match against Hax For Days on the ladder. We both brought heavy/hyper offense teams. My team revolves around dual setup sweepers (SD Luke and Superachi) with SD Hax and nidoqueen to wall break. My opponent's team uses dual banded mons (Krook & Ent) and crocune to apply enormous pressure to my team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167545733

This game showcases Superachi's sweeping potential and the power of the Banded Brothers. As with most quick offensive games, there's a lot of carnage up front with both teams trying to position themselves for a sweep. Watch my team struggle to survive Krook's knock offs and Entei's powerful Xspeed.

Fast forward to the end game, while my CM rachi is setting up, Hax For Days lives up to his name with a well timed crit and attempts to countersweep.

Here's a game between myself and xMarth (st123) for the finals of an Underused room tourney on Showdown. I brought spike stacking offense with Nasty Plot Lucario and CB Ape, he brought some balance with Toxic Spike support as well as SubCM Raikou. Both of our setup sweepers were hugely threatening to each other once one or two checks had been removed.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168585060

I needed to eliminate Tentacruel and set up Lucario on Umbreon or Jirachi locked into a favorable move, while using the presence of my bulky Krookodile to prevent his Raikou from setting up. There was a struggle initially to put up hazards from both sides, and unfortunately I let my spinblocker die pretty early in the game. The game came down to who could put their sweeper in a more favorable position to set up. Overall it was a very intense, fun game and I hope you enjoy watching it [:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
Another game using my research team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168619403

This is a high level ladder match between myself and hax for days. I've faced him several time, and by now we know each other's team fairly well. I know that his team, though frail from a distance, is actually quite prepared to take hits. hax's use of Krook and Suicune was decent in this match, but an early flamethrower threw me into the lead early on. But hax for days is a great player who's outsmarted me many times before... so who will win this one?

Here is a very rather intense battle that kept me on my toes the whole game featuring xMarth(st123) vs myself

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-169645692

From the get go it looks like my win condition Curse Gastrodon will definitely be able to deal some damage to his team. Though xMarth does not make my life easy, carrying a dedicated wall destroying LO Hydreigon, TrickScarf Jirachi and Toxic Spikes, which help to disrupt a lot of my other Pokemon that are needed to get Gastrodon to a certain level before it can sweep and remove all of the threats to its sweep. An early Superpower crit on Blissey as I go for the Softboiled leaves me on the back foot without hazards and leaving the only thing stopping his win condition, CM Raikou, from sweeping is my Gastrodon. From there the tipping point of the game boils down to whether Gastrodon can be removed or not.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
One of my favourite battles of Research Week Two. This is a battle between myself and Hairy Ambipom. Early on, I can tell that both of our balance teams hit the others hard on. Instantly, this was going to become a battle of prediction, and, frankly, luck.

This battle is an excellent reminder that sometimes, that .8-1.0 damage RNG is quite the nuisance, and then some. Enjoy, friends.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-170082925

This one's a nailbiter.

Hello my UUsers! Waiv/viaw here!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-172465404

This is a battle between me and IronBullet93 , one the best UU battlers i've faced on UU.
I'm running a variant of my Rushdog, Mamph offence with an implant of a dedicated wish passing stall core. While IB is running what i would consider a offensive balance with a major win condition in Chandy.

Even though i mainly lost the early game, removing his Whims was probably the most important aspect of the game as it shows how powerful and unprepared the current metagame is for it's stab fairy attack (being the only noteworthy of its kind). However essentially sacrificing my Rushdog to over prediction was devastating, as it was essentially primed to sweep his team. Despite this my core held strong, showing why Mamph is ranked so highly on the viability rankings and why Alom is such a versatile threat/wall.

To the point, IB's teambuilding is incredible, his nearly flawless offensive execution is largely due to the sheer amount of pressure a double switch from him would yield. The number of different sets each of his Pokemon could run, coupled with the synergy that his typings create made it extremely difficult to 'make plays'. It shows the importance of momentum when two semi offensive teams play, while he opted for a 'fast turn' momentum, i opted for a 'slow turn' momentum, and his superior use of Hydreigon and Cruel forced me to play on the defensive

Overall it goes to show that when you're facing one of the goats like IB you cannot afford to make any mistakes, especially late game! But it reminded me why I would take a good game loss to a bad game win any day!

#baelyf

p.s thanks to Yifeng for refereeing the match!

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello everyone, this is a ladder match between myself and IronBullet93 where we're each using a couple of underrated 'mons. We see in the team matchup that Shedinja tentatively walls 3 members of his team (Nidoqueen, Starmie, Whimsicott) and with a couple boosts will be able to handle the other members with its Focus Sash. However, early game rocks coupled with offensive pressure on my Tentacruel make it very difficult to remove those hazards to allow for Shedinja to come through. Fighting an uphill battle trying to remove the rocks requires some risky double switches and predictions but ultimately allows for both sides to reveal new win conditions throughout the match.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-176014212

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)