Your First Battle

It was so long ago, I just remember being bad. I also remember the awful feeling of getting swept by a Baton Pass Ninjask team the first time and the disappointment when it didn't work as easily when I tried it. Then I got better than all of my similarly terrible friends and later RQed when I couldn't use the same things in Gen 4 that I could in 3 with the same effectiveness.

my 1st 'competitive' team if that's what you want to call it was: a tyranitar, a hippowdon, a gengar, a level 1 aron, a level 2 probopass, and a conkeldurr
and i won...
this was against ubers, too

My first competitive battle was a few months after I got BL2/W2. Used Ampharos as a defensive pivot in my first tournament battle and watched my opponent rage after subbing and proceeding to cotton guard. Boy was I a noob back then!

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
I've been meaning to post here, as I finally remembered my first competitive battle, ha. Anyways, my first " successful competitive team " was using Pokémon with 4 STAB moves & they were holding their respective gems. It actually got me to around 1450, & I still don't know how I did it.

I remember when I first got into Pokemon... The first battle I got into was at a science camp. I had no concept of tiers and didn't know what EVs or IVs or natures were, so there was these two snooty Japanese kids, and they are saying: "Man we has the best Pokemon team!" So I challenged them to a battle with my Platinum version, but they wanted to play doubles, so I got this kid, who had two level 50s and a level 70, and I thought: "I'm screwed" So my fantastic team of Dialga, Giratina, and Staraptor, was up against a team of 6 Level 100 ledgendaries. And I think I remember their move sets, and I even gave them items.

Staraptor (M) @ Scope Lens
Ability: Intimidate
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Fly
- Hyper Beam

Dialga @ Adamant Orb
Ability: Pressure
- Draco Meteor
- Roar of Time
- Aura Sphere
- Earth Power

Giratina @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Pressure
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Force
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage

So, they had a bunch of shiny legendaries I can't remember(Action Replay), but it somehow came down my Giratina, and his Shiny Mew, and Giratina was on, red health, and then, the Japanese kid uses Overheat... and he missed! I nearly squealed with delight as my Giratina vanished into his shadowy abyss, struck the next turn, and destroyed the Mew. Good times...

I can't remember it that well, but I do remember just importing my team from HeartGold into Pokemon Online and using it in Gen V OU. It was Typhlosion, Vaporeon, Forretress, Machamp, Gengar and Crobat. I probably lost since I didn't know any of the common movesets.

My first battle was waaaaaaaaay back on Netbattle, 3rd Gen. At the time, I was just a dumb kid using Hardy non-EVed Pokemon that I thought were the shit (mostly my favorite starters and legendaries), and proceeded to get destroyed every time, usually to Ninjask and/or Heracross. The only people I could beat were other dumb people like me.

I think I remember being very angry every time I saw a Ninjask since then and I'd be lying if I said I don't have a bias against Ninjask because of it. (Heracross is cool though) I eventually proceeded to just get the hell out of competitive Pokemon until late 4th Gen, where I played only a few battles on Shoddy, then came back in 5th Gen with an actual brain and knowledge on how competitive Pokemon works.

My first battle was actually good. I had been theorymoning since the start of Gen 4, and I played a handful of randbats (for about two weeks) before jumping into OU.

It happened when a friend of mine said that Protect was a worthless move. (He's not into competitive at all, and doesn't have a DS, so he's unfamiliar with anything after Gen 3, but still.)

To prove him wrong, I went ahead and made an OU Team and played with it.

In hindsight, I regret making my team all shiny, and one of the things that I changed on the team since then is to remove the shininess.

I did make a few minor mistakes, but for the most part, it went well. I actually didn't make too many mistakes, and none at all that were really major, and I even managed to win the game! (Albeit I was down to just one Pokémon, and it only had 3% health.)

A replay of it is here:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-18220528

This was on May 11th 2013, to give you an idea of the meta at the time.

My first battle was against a kid on the school bus, I had Gold and he had Silver. I don't remember what all pokemon we had, but I do remember he couldn't touch my Lugia because of Recover, and he used a lvl 100 Feraligatr (first lvl 100 I'd ever seen) that I beat with Thunder from my lvl 70 something Snorlax... I remember I taught Thunder to several Pokemon just to deal with his Feraligatr because he kept talking about it. I won btw. This was Gen II, and I was like 10 or 11. Link cables were awesome lol.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
my first competitive battle was on PO i think, GSC. I was using JoltWak, because i heard that's good, the rest of my mons were just randomly thrown together. I don't even think there was a Snorlax on my team. Anyways my opponent was an as big scrub as me so i managed to beat him.

My first team was originally supposed to be 6 dunsparce all with quick claws that all knew Earthquake, Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt.
Then I found out about species clause.
My next team was

Dragonite @ Quick Claw
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

Rhyperior @ Quick Claw
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- ThunderPunch

Hippowdon @ Quick Claw
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Thunder Fang
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Slowking @ Focus Sash
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ice Beam

Alakazam @ Quick Claw
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Charge Beam
- Fire Punch

Starmie @ Quick Claw
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

DO NOT JUDGE ME Q_Q
FIRE PUNCH ON ALAKAZAM IS GOOD OK :(
SAND FORCE HIPPO IS DA BESST :D
YOU GET A QUICK CLAW
YOU GET A QUICK CLAW
EVERYBODY GETS A QUICK CLAWWWWWWWW

and special attacking dragonites goml

I'm very sure that I lost my first game.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
All I can recall of my first netbattle game I got walled hard by a CMCune, and then later my opponent had a Tyranitar out and I fought and fought to wear it down and was thisss close to killing it...

And then of course it's Resto. Young me was rather stunned. After that I waited till DP to start playing again.

Ah the good old days of Net Battle back in 05.

Wouldn't have a clue what I had, although it was most likely a terrible loss.

This is not my first Competitive battle but it is essentially my first OU battle. I mainly to LC so I managed my transition by just evolving my LC team and seeing how they did. I will let you guys be the judges!

So, I have here the log from my first real competitive battle! (This was about half an hour ago, by the way.) My team is sort of a mishmash of unusual/weird/eccentric/wtf-are-you-doing sets (things like Assault Vest Victini, DD Latios, Special Stance Dance Aegislash, etc.) built around support from Speed Boost Baton Pass Iron Defence Scolipede.
FlameUser64 joined.
unfunf joined.
Format:
Pokebank OU (beta)
Rated battle

Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon
Moody Clause: Moody is banned
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
HP Percentage Mod: HP is reported as percentages
FlameUser64's team: Chesnaught / Aegislash / Gardevoir / Scolipede / Latios / Victini
unfunf's team: Houndoom / Ninetales / Forretress / Sawsbuck / Quagsire / Conkeldurr
Battle between FlameUser64 and unfunf started!
Go! Arietta (Scolipede)!
unfunf sent out Forretress!
Turn 1
Arietta used Substitute!
Arietta put in a substitute!
Arietta lost 24.8% of its health!
The opposing Forretress used Gyro Ball!
Arietta's substitute faded!
Arietta restored HP using its Leftovers!
Arietta's Speed Boost raised its Speed!
Turn 2
Arietta used Iron Defense!
Arietta's Defense sharply rose!
The opposing Forretress used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!
Turn 3
The opposing Forretress used Volt Switch!
Arietta lost 13.9% of its health!
The opposing Forretress went back to unfunf!
unfunf sent out Quagsire!
Turn 4
Arietta used Baton Pass!
Go! Rita (Gardevoir)!
Pointed stones dug into Rita!
Rita traced the opposing Quagsire's Unaware!
The opposing Quagsire used Earth Power!
Rita lost 17.9% of its health!
Turn 5
Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
Rita used Psyshock!
A critical hit! The opposing Quagsire lost 80% of its health!
The opposing Quagsire used Toxic!
Rita was badly poisoned!
The opposing Quagsire restored HP using its Leftovers!
Rita was hurt by poison!
Turn 6
unfunf withdrew Quagsire!
unfunf sent out Zed (Houndoom)!
Rita used Hyper Voice!
The opposing Zed lost 100% of its health!
The opposing Zed fainted!
Rita was hurt by poison!
unfunf sent out Quagsire!
Turn 7
Rita used Shadow Ball!
The opposing Quagsire lost 26% of its health!
The opposing Quagsire fainted!
Rita was hurt by poison!
unfunf sent out Ninetales!
The sunlight turned harsh!
Turn 8
Rita used Shadow Ball!
The opposing Ninetales lost 45% of its health!
The opposing Ninetales used Fire Blast!
A critical hit! Rita lost 32.6% of its health!
Rita fainted!
Go! Yuri (Latios)!
Pointed stones dug into Yuri!
Turn 9
Yuri used Dragon Dance!
Yuri's Attack rose!
Yuri's Speed rose!
The opposing Ninetales used Will-O-Wisp!
Yuri was burned!
Yuri was hurt by its burn!
Turn 10
unfunf withdrew Ninetales!
unfunf sent out Forretress!
Yuri used Dragon Dance!
Yuri's Attack rose!
Yuri's Speed rose!
Yuri was hurt by its burn!
Turn 11
Yuri used Earthquake!
The opposing Forretress lost 18% of its health!
Yuri lost some of its HP!
A critical hit! Yuri lost 53.2% of its health!
Yuri fainted!
The opposing Forretress restored HP using its Leftovers!
Go! Arietta (Scolipede)!
Pointed stones dug into Arietta!
Turn 12
Arietta lost 19.8% of its health!
The opposing Forretress restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 13
The opposing Forretress used Volt Switch!
Arietta lost 14.9% of its health!
The opposing Forretress went back to unfunf!
unfunf sent out Sawsbuck!
Turn 14
Arietta used Baton Pass!
Go! Morgan (Victini)!
Pointed stones dug into Morgan!
The opposing Sawsbuck used Double-Edge!
Morgan lost 24.0% of its health!
The opposing Sawsbuck is damaged by recoil!
The opposing Sawsbuck lost some of its HP!
Turn 15
unfunf forfeited.
FlameUser64 won the battle!
Ladder updating...
unfunf left.
FlameUser64's rating: 1007 → 1344
(+337 for winning)
unfunf's rating: 1368 → 1332
(-36 for losing)

Look at that ranking increase!

Admittedly, I got a really, REALLY lucky crit with that Psyshock. I also made a really stupid mistake in trying to Earthquake a Forretress, especially while Burned. I should've just hit it with Draco Meteor.

I'm kinda sad that I didn't get to whack him with V-create, though.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that Victini has an Assault Vest.

Last edited:
I remember my first battle.

I got swept by an Excadrill.

I didn't know how to beat it. Then Smogon banned it like a week later.

(I still don't really know how to beat Sand Rush Excadrill, but no one runs that)

I think I did a random battle first...I had been reading about competitive battling on Smogon for a while, so I knew how things were supposed to work (sort of) but I had never actually tried the concepts out. I remember being really nervous. ("Oh no! Is this when I'm supposed to use Stealth Rock?")

I started competitive battling about a month or two after X and Y were announced. Didn't know what I was doing at all, so I just went over to Showdown and used my in game team, which consisted of Blastoise, Charizard, Dragonite and three others who I can't remember at the moment. I won quite a bit battles surprisingly, but then I started watching Wi-Fi battles on YouTube and noticed that the only Pokemon on my team used for competitive was Dragonite, so I then tried to make my first ever competitive team. Here's a Pastebin link to my first team http://pastebin.com/nj1Ek7Kz (warning, very lol-worthy). Started battling a lot from there, continued to watch YouTube videos, and started to make better teams. The highest I've ever achieved on Showdown is a rating of 2100ish, but I will start a lot more once Pokebank is out.

Back in DPP I discovered the wonderful thing that is shoddy...... Created a hail team focussing on stalrein for some reason. Can't really remember how effective it was but all I know is that my ladder rating wasn't exactly spectacular....... I think it had a shuckle in too....

Who doesn't like Acupressure Shuckle in 4th gen :D

My first battle was a Kingdra without Rain Dance :P

I actually won by forfeit after I lum berried the TTar's status and Hydro Pumped it

My first battle (I never played offline) was on PO. Oddly enough, the team I constructed wasn't that bad; I had studied some of the basics so I would know what I was doing... more or less. I won that battle, to my surprise.

In the few battles after that, I realized Spinners suck (the team was an NU team so I would not have to factor in the most powerful threats, thinning out the hoard a bit) and such, and within a day or two or so, and many failed attempts (Flareon, Armaldo, Miltank, Kangaskhan, and many others), I had built the team that achieved a 2/3 win ratio, and the core of said team (Misdreavus, Gardevoir and Leavanny) lasted me until the end of Stage 8 when Scolipede and Jynx came to mess everything up.
WE HAVE THE SAME ICON

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
I don't remember what went down in my very first competitive battle, but I know it was on Shoddy Battle in the middle of fourth gen. I had stumbled across Smogon from a link, and spent days reading loads of articles. I fondly remember reading http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon and being simultaneously confused, overwhelmed, and excited. I went on Shoddy Battle and built a team mainly of my favourite Pokemon, but with their Smogon movesets. As you can imagine, this team was pretty bad. After a while, I started to build teams consisting of mostly OU Pokemon (but still with a few random pokemon). At this point, I still was sticking religiously to the Smogon sets. It took until 5th gen for me to start not sucking and making my own sets. I do have many fond memories of killing Heatrans with Earthquake from my Stantler

ariariadne

formerly Reinfleche
I remember my first team in 4th gen was just a bunch of OU stuff that I picked based on how cool it looked that I just copied from Smogon sets. I owned some team with TyraniBoah though, good times.

My first competitive battle? I actually won!
It was a double battle, I led with a Linoone and a Slaking, back then all I knew was Truant was a shitty ability and Simple Beam could get rid of it. First turn Linoone used Simple Beam on Slaking, Slaking used Hone Claws. I was a complete n00b at the time and for all I knew Simple Beam had the same effect as Gastro Acid! It was a really cheap strategy and I was completely unaware I was using it :P

My first team back in late-D/P/Pt-era consisted of a Swords Dance Celebi.

Let that sink in for a moment.
And no, it was not Baton Pass.

Oh, and a Double boosting Swarm Scizor with SD and Agility which I used ingame in Crystal. So, the offensive moves was Steel Wing and Quick Attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)