SM UU YouthBerry's Salazzle Offence (Peaked #2 at 1758)

Intro:

This team is actually a rebuild of a highly successful team I built in UU beta during the Thundurus meta. That team had Thundurus over Salazzle, and actually peaked at #1 on the ladder before Thundurus got banned, and then Azumarill got the boot shortly after. I rebuilt this team shortly after Azumarill was freed from BL, and has achieved success on the ladder and also held it’s own in tournament play. I built the original team with the idea of building a standard style Hyper Offence team, and while it does have the characteristics of HO (designated lead, 2 set up sweepers, 2 Band/Specs users, and speed control), I consider this team closer to bulky offence in terms of playstyle as it does rely on it’s bulk at times.

Proof of Peak:

The Team:

Buddy the Zelf (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Ice Punch
- Fire Blast

Azelf is one of the most common leads for offensive teams, and with good reason thanks to a great speed tier and expansive movepool. This Azelf is somewhat unique, in that it forgoes taunt, instead carrying extra coverage. This set was actually given to me by my good friend CBU, and targets both Scizor and Gliscor who are relatively common leads against lead Azelf. There are soooo many examples of this Azelf roasting Scizor turn 1, which really is a huge advantage considering how effective Scizor is in this meta and how dangerous it can be against this team with the right moveset. Ice Punch doesn’t KO Gliscor turn 1, but it HEAVILY dents it (252 Atk Azelf Ice Punch vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Gliscor: 264-312 (75 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) and that big chip opens up opportunities for Krookodile and Doublade. Another common lead against lead Azelf is Alolan-Muk, and often (depending on how valuable Stealth Rocks are against your opponent) I just hard boom on the Muk and blow it back to low health rendering it useless in the match (helpful for Kyurem and Salazzle). Stealth Rock is the other move and it’s always useful for chip, especially in stall matchups. The EVs are designed to allow Ice Punch and explosion to hit as hard as possible, while also retaining it’s incredible 361 speed tier. Focus Sash gives it a guaranteed chance to do something (barring flinch or an Ambipom Tail Slap). Overall, this lead Azelf functions as both a rocker, and a lure/wallbreaker. It’s proven to be pretty darn effective!

Azure (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 234 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Facade

CB Azumarill is a powerful wallbreaker with limited switchins, that combines with Choice Specs Kyurem to breakdown opposing defensive cores. This Azu is fairly standard moveset wise, running both STAB moves, Play Rough and Waterfall. I run Waterfall over Liquidation because of the flinch chance which occasionally comes into play (Against the likes of Hippowdon, Doublade, and the rare lead webs Shuckle), and I don’t find Liquidation nabs any notable KO’s that Waterfall misses out on. Priority Aqua Jet is also run like usual, and is surprisingly powerful, capable of OHKOing Chandelure and Nidoking and even Mega Beedrill and Mega Aero from full with good rolls. The last move I run on this Azumarill is Façade which is very unorthodox. I run it because Azu is the best answer on this team to handle Calm Mind Suicune, and Façade means that a Scald burn doesn’t end Azu’s ability to win in such a matchup. Façade also helps in matchups against T-Spikes, I’ve bopped a bunch Tentacruel and Serperior after coming in on T-Spikes. The EV’s are complicated and maybe not ideal but they work. The 20 speed EVs allow Azumarill to outspeed defensive Swampert which has become fairly uncommon recently. The investment in bulk allows this Azumarill to avoid the 2HKO from Choice Band Entei (important for this team as Azumarill is the only fire resist on the team) and fire back with either a water move or Façade if Azu becomes burned. The bulk is also valuable in checking Hydreigon multiple times throughout a match. Adamant nature maximizes Azumarill’s power output, securing important KO’s that Jolly doesn’t. This Azumarill has proven to be a force, combining both crazy immediate power and still being able to check important mons for this Offence team.

Link's Extras (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Doublade is an underrated Pokemon that can check a ton of threats, while also providing valuable priority and even spinblock in some situations. The set I run is pretty standard, with Swords Dance turning Doublade into a potential late game sweeper when it’s checks and counters are gone, Shadow Sneak being valuable STAB priority, Iron Head for STAB coverage against Fairies and Rock types like Mega Aerodactyl, and finally Sacred Sword which is great neutral coverage along side it’s STAB moves. Sacred Sword is ideal to handle the common steel types in the tier like Cobalion and Scizor who threaten important mons on this team. Doublade, thanks to it’s Eviolite, is stupid bulky, especially on the physical side. It is capable of eating powerful super effective hits like a Mega Sharpedo Crunch, Choice Scarf Darmanitan Flare Blitz, and +2 Earthquake’s from Terrakion. This can allow it to be an emergency check to some threats if need be so it’s important in some games to keep it healthy. On that note, Doublade is prone to getting worn down, especially as it has no means of recovery. It’s ability to check things like DD Mega Altaria, Scizor (SD LO Knock Off is scary tho), Cobalion, Latias, Mega Aerodactyl, Terrakion, Haxorus, and more make it one of the most valuable members of the team.

Angela (Salazzle) @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Salazzle is one of my favourite gen 7 Pokemon that was introduced, and I feel that it’s being slept on in terms of viability in UU. Salazzle has amazing offensive coverage, only resisted by 3 Pokemon in UU, Mega Aerodactyl, Nihilego, and Tentacruel. This makes Salazzle a threat in a lot of matches, as none of those 3 are super super common and they all can be worn down. The moveset is pretty standard, Nasty Plot doubles the spA of Salazzle and makes it a very threatening mon, capable of OHKOing utility Gliscor with Fire Blast (+2 252 SpA Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 244 HP / 196 SpD Gliscor:322-381 (91.4 - 108.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock). Some people may suggest Flamethrower for the accuracy, but the ability to OHKO Gliscor at +2 makes Fire Blast worth it to me. Sludge Wave is the other STAB move and it has great coverage alongside Fire Blast. Poisonium Z boosts Sludge Wave into a super powerful move that few Pokemon can handle barring resists. The ability to avoid being Toxiced thanks to being a poison type, plus the ability to Nasty Plot makes Salazzle a great Wallbreaker/Stallbreaker against fatter builds. Salazzle can blow back Blissey with a +6 Acid Downpour which is easy to get to if you Nasty Plot on the switch into Blissey. HP Grass is great alongside that as it breaks Quagsire (surprisingly weak 252 SpA Salazzle Hidden Power Grass vs. 252HP / 4 SpD Unaware Quagsire: 332-392 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock) after getting some chip of some kind + rocks. The EVs may look funny, but Salazzle’s 366 speed tier is kind of in between a few notable mons, and there is nothing notable between 361 (Pokemon like Starmie, Azlef, Raikou) and 366, so I figured the extra bulk would come in handy over speed EVs while still being able to switch into rocks 4 times. Salazzle is also notable as an offensive check to the very popular Serperior. Salazzle is able to utilize it’s 4x resist to grass type moves to take a pittance from Leaf Storm, and threaten back immediately with either Sludge Wave or Fire Blast, both of which OHKO Serperior. Glare and Z-Hyper Beam must be watched though.

IceBreaka (Kyurem) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 72 HP / 222 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / HPFire
- Earth Power

This is a set that dates back to the Gyarados meta in ORAS, and I still find it be very effective today. Choice Specs Kyurem pairs with CB Azumarill to break down opposing defensive cores, taking on the electric and grass Pokemon that Azu struggles with and Azu taking on the fighting and dragon types that Kyurem struggles with. Kyurem is stupid underrated in this meta imo, as it destroys the common balance cores of Amoongus + Rotom-Wash + Gliscor. The moveset is pretty standard, Draco Meteor is a nuke that is hard to switch into for those teams lacking Blissey or a fairy type. Ice Beam is very spammable as we all know how dangerous ice typing is offensively. Even to resists, Ice beam hurts coming off Kyurem’s 130 base special attack (222 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 129-152 (45.9 - 54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock). Focus Blast or HP Fire are options in the 3rd slot, with HP Fire targeting the very common Scizor switch-in, and Focus Blast is there for Empoleon and more importantly Blissey (14.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock) which is extremely valuable in stall matchups. Earth Power is in the last slot and it’s beneficial for things like Belly Drum Azumarill (222 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 173-204 (50.5 - 59.6%) --guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock), chipping Primarina, and Metagross. There are also matchups where Earth Power hits everything so when your Kyurem is in against say a Mega Manectric, Earth Power is the nice middle ground. The EVs add a bunch of bulk to this Kyurem which allow it to tank some things that it otherwise couldn’t. The loss in speed isn’t that notable either as the only common Pokemon who would outrun this Kyurem is Krookodile which mostly run Choice Scarf anyway. The 72 HP also hits a Stealth Rock number. I could be swayed otherwise, but the extra bulk has come in handy enough times to believe it’s more valuable than the extra speed. Overall, Kyurem is a fantastic Pokemon in this tier that I feel should be used more because it’s a real threat!

Fred (Krookodile) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Pursuit

Finally the choice scarf user Krookodile, which functions as both the speed control of the team, as well as the incredibly important electric immunity, and the always valuable pursuit user. While the Krookodile doesn’t always have the best matchup, particularly against fatter builds, it proves it’s worth in matchups against other offensive teams, particularly against ones with Magneton, Mega Manectric, and the now rare Raikou. The moveset is standard for the most part, with dual stab moves + pursuit. Pursuit is great for chipping the likes of Mega Manetric and Magneton as they switch out fearing Earthquake. Pursuit also nabs Choice Scarf Latias which is incredibly helpful for Salazzle. Salazzle also takes on choiced Chandelure, especially if they lock themselves into Shadowball which has become common recently in response to the prevalence of Serperior. The use of Outrage over more common options like Stone Edge or SuperPower is solely for Mega Sceptile who otherwise is big problem for this team. Outrage is uncommon enough that often, opposing players don’t expect it so you are able to nab that important KO against Mega Sceptile. I’ve also been able to sweep with Scarf Outrage before, it’s not completely useless as it does offer decent power for a coverage move. EVs are standard, they maximize speed and power.

Threat List:

Mega Aero Stall – Probably the worst matchup you can face with this team, as Mega Aero is a hard stop to Salazzle and the team beyond Salazzle isn’t the greatest against stall builds.

SD LO Scizor with Knock Off – This pokemon can run through the team if you let it set up, as Doublade takes a ton from +2 Knock Off. +2 Bullet Punch from there KO’s Salazzle after rocks and Azumarill has a good chance to be OHKO’d after rocks too.

Special attacking Mega Altaria – Can cause issues if you expect Mega Altaria to be DD and bring in Doublade only to eat a flamethrower. Doublade is generally needed to check something so eating a flamethrower renders it pretty much useless.

Suicune – I’ve lost to it a couple times, as it using Calm Mind invalidates the special attackers on the team, and an unfortunate burn could really slow down Azumarill. The substitute/protect set + burn/toxic is also super annoying for this team.

Hazard stack – without hazard control, if you don’t KO or force out the hazard setter before it get’s them all up, it puts a ton of pressure on the team. It’s important to get those KO’s on hazard setters like Klefki fast!

Special attacking flying types – Mega Pidgeot and Togekiss are threats because the team's only flying resist is Doublade which doesn’t check Pidgeot at all. In matchups against Bird Jesus, it’s important to try and keep one of Kyurem or Azumarill healthy to tank a hit and KO back (assuming no confuse). Krookodile also can tank a hurricane, and actually outspeeds so it can at least chip it or 2HKO after rocks.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-686058544 vs. Pif
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-686045711 vs. CBU
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-686115515 vs. High ladder Stall
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-674167770 vs Dingbat
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-665730523 vs Snowy
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-662753590 vs Karolynia

Shoutouts:
I apologize in advance if I miss anyone, but here goes!
Everyone who is in the #theyneverlisten discord, you guys are the best! CBU, Bad Rap Sample, FTL, Bhris Brown, Lord Iroh, Island Spices, PokeTCGamer1288, Low Ladder Heroes, Sun, Renny, Sparrow, Zben, BluBirD Horsehead3, Pillow Wisp, Haate, cubonesmotherr, edaKiwi, DrReuniclus3, Sam I Yam, PDT, the legend Papagoi, and my boy Scheff! There’s more ladder friends out there for sure, so if you see me playing, don’t hesitate to give me crap and say hi!

Conclusion:
So yeah, that is the team! It’s a fun offensive one that does a pretty good job of taking advantage of the offensively some of the current metagame trends. It has a pretty good matchup against most builds which makes it a pretty ideal ladder team at the moment. Would really appreciate any insights you can offer to help improve this teamfor the future! Cheers.​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)