SM OU Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree Offense

This is a pretty simple team, centered around taking down Xurkitree's checks so he can sweep with Tail Glow.

Power Cord (Xurkitree) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hypnosis
- Thunderbolt
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball

The main wincon of the team, the task here is simple; once everything that doesn't die to boosted Thunderbolt or Energy Ball is dead, bring Xurkitree in, drop a Z-Hypnosis, and set up. Unfortunately, Z-Hypnosis's accuracy is still 60%, so make sure that you don't set up on something that can punish Xurkitree hard. I've maxed out speed in this set, just to make sure Xurkitree can outspeed anything it can. Can be difficult to get everything together, but once you set up, he's unstoppable.

Naruto (Greninja-Ash) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

A-Greninja kills ground types that Xurkitree can have trouble with, and serves as a great alternate wincon if things go wrong. Very intimidating presence, and counters many threats like Char-Y, Blacephalon, Excadrill, and M-Ttar. Also is a good priority user.

Origami (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Kartana is an amazing revenge killer. Scarf helps it outspeed a lot of things, and it's attack is great. I also like it because it can counter threatening water types like A-Greninja, where I might not want to risk my biggest wincon killing it. Provides great coverage and overall fits well in the team.

Smaug (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

My second main breaker, Char-Y makes great use of the mega slot. It counters Ferrothorn, Kartana, M-Scizor, Bulu, and several other pokemon, and can dent anything that doesn't resist Fire Blast. Very helpful for checking some grass-types my team would otherwise struggle with.

Tigger (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

I wanted a pivot of some kind, and decided to go with Lando-T. He kills the ever popular Tapu Koko, and provides great utility with U-Turn. He's also got good coverage. In general, Lando-T is just the best pivot in the meta right now, and he fits in the team anyway, so why not.

Space Fetus (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

I thought the team might want some bulk to fall back on, and Mew accomplishes this well. If situations get dicey, I can switch out to Mew, drop a Will-o-Wisp, and even out the momentum. It also provides hazard control.

I've grinded around 200 ELO with this team, and it's been working pretty well. But if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Examples:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-676693733
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-676696961
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-676708661

Last edited:

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey discoverthemetroid! I'm a fan of Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree personally, and I like your team. I'm going to make some changes based on any threats or general teambuilding flaws that I notice. Enjoy!

Overview: an Outline of Threats & Weaknesses

1514251124287.png
1514251167168.png
1514251179066.png
1514251192722.png
1514251203182.png
1514251212912.png

The first thing that was most noticeable was the lack of Stealth Rock on this team. Your team has no hazards to assist Xurkitree in its sweep or Zard-Y & Gren in their wallbreaking. Also, you have two Water-resists—both of which are frail. The rain match-up should be a total pain to deal with, as it pressures your Xurkitree, Charizard, and Kartana to attempt to check those Pokemon. Pelipper, the best rain setter, has a free time pivoting due to a lack of rocks, and Specs variants punch holes in this team with Hydro Pump. I don't like that the team has two Scarfers, either. It feels highly unnecessary. Anyways, there are several other weaknesses that you'll likely be running into.

Team Changes

1514251682181.png

Spikes > Ice Beam

Considering how often you'll be on the offensive, Greninja should be able to come in safely and wallbreak. Switches will likely be forced thanks to Gren's offensive presence, and you can Spike on the switches to its checks. Long-term, it'll severely benefit Greninja-Ash and your win-condition, Xurkitree.

1514252373555.png

Defog > Smart Strike

Kartana, even with Choice Scarf, can act as a solid Defogger. It's a quick way to remove hazards for offensively oriented builds such as this one. Mew, because of this, will become a Stealth Rock user.

1514252000868.png
->
1514251898710.png

Landorus-Therian -> AV Tapu Bulu

Assault Vest is probably Tapu Bulu's most popular set right now. For this team, it summons Grassy Terrain to benefit Xurk's Energy Ball, Kartana's Leaf Blade (which can lead to deadly cleaning potential), dishes out Nature's Madnesses, takes special hits, provides additional recovery, and acts as an actual Water-resist. It'll check Zygarde well and threatens opponents with its powerful Wood Hammer.

1514252546651.png

Stealth Rock > Defog

Due to Kartana changing to Defog, Mew will opt to run Stealth Rock. This team, being the offensive one that it is, needs rocks to function well. They'll be able to weaken Pokemon, punishing switches, etc., which'll assist Xurkitree dearly.

Importable & Concluding Thoughts

import: 1514251124287.png1514251167168.png1514251179066.png1514251192722.png1514251898710.png1514251212912.png

I love how this team turned out. You have a GrassySpam core in AV Bulu + Scarf Kart. This means that with enough Pokemon weakened, Kartana can clean lategame with the terrain up. Xurkitree's Energy Ball would also receive a buff in power, which could help in situations against Landorus-Therian that are slightly bulky. Greninja, thanks to its raw power and Spikes, pressures Xurkitree's specially defensive checks and counters. For example, Ferrothorn walls Xurkitree if it isn't too heavily damaged / doesn't get bad sleep luck. Greninja-Ash pressures it with Dark Pulse and Spikes to punish the switch-in. It also has Water Shuriken priority for cleaners like Hawlucha. Mew and Tapu Bulu have you covered as far as Zygarde goes. Mew also significantly helps vs. the aforementioned Hawlucha. Charizard's place in the metagame right now is a bit high in the air, but with enough Pokemon to annoy Toxapex, I think it fits well as a breaker on this team. Hope you enjoyed the rate!

Attachments

-Latios-

Sorry for the long wait lol, I haven't checked on Smogon in a while. Tbh mostly I go on Neo's pokemon forums, but I went here for the RMT because the feedback is generally higher quality.

So, thanks a lot for the help! I have faced rain several times, and I have to say Bulu would help a lot.

I guess I was neglecting the the supportive roles Kartana and Greninja could carry out, I'll have to try that out. The spikes would help a lot, come to think of it. :P

However, I was considering replacing Kartana with Scarf Lando-T. This team has a lot of trouble with Tapu Koko in particular, and the extra coverage as well as U-Turn would be more helpful than what Kartana offers IMO. What do you think?

I'm really glad you helped out, seems like some nice improvements. Good to know I'm not the only one who likes Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree. :)

Last edited:

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
-Latios-

Sorry for the long wait lol, I haven't checked on Smogon in a while. Tbh mostly I go on Neo's pokemon forums, but I went here for the RMT because the feedback is generally higher quality.

So, thanks a lot for the help! I have faced rain several times, and I have to say Bulu would help a lot.

I guess I was neglecting the the supportive roles Kartana and Greninja could carry out, I'll have to try that out. The spikes would help a lot, come to think of it. :P

However, I was considering replacing Kartana with Scarf Lando-T. This team has a lot of trouble with Tapu Koko in particular, and the extra coverage as well as U-Turn would be more helpful than what Kartana offers IMO. What do you think?

I'm really glad you helped out, seems like some nice improvements. Good to know I'm not the only one who likes Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree. :)
Scarf Landorus sounds fine as an additional Ground-immunity and potential momentum gainer for Xurkitree. Tapu Bulu handles Tapu Koko solidly enough aside from random Flyinium Z variants, though. :]

-Latios- I've been trying it out and Lando actually works really well. As a fire switch-in greninja is really trash tbh, so Lando-T gives me another option to deal with Char-Y, Marowak-alola, blacephalon, etc.

Really the only thing Kartana brings to the team is a hard counter for rain, but Bulu covers that well anyway.

On a separate note, this team loses against TR hard. Anything in particular I should do about that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)