Z-Move Discussion

It's essentially the White Herb effect. From the game text:
Code:
POKEMON returned its decreased stats to normal using its Z-Power!
Still kinda pointless, though, don't you think? I mean, sure it's nice but I imagine that this is meant to be used in conjunction with moves like Shell Smash, however, wouldn't White Herb be the preferred item as it gets rid of the negative stat changes from the get-go instead of having to play a turn with your pokemon's stats lowered? Or is there some other use to it that I'm not thinking of?

It's essentially the White Herb effect. From the game text:
Code:
POKEMON returned its decreased stats to normal using its Z-Power!
Oh well that's actually not terrible then right? But it resets first then does the move right? So Z-Shell Smash wouldn't really work?

Still kinda pointless, though, don't you think? I mean, sure it's nice but I imagine that this is meant to be used in conjunction with moves like Shell Smash, however, wouldn't White Herb be the preferred item as it gets rid of the negative stat changes from the get-go instead of having to play a turn with your pokemon's stats lowered? Or is there some other use to it that I'm not thinking of?
Well the big reason is that you get to choose when you do the Z-Move, whereas White Herb just happens. So if you get hit by Intimidate at the start of the battle, White Herb will activate, and you can still have your stats lowered further later. But with Z-Baton Pass, you can reset all of your lowered stats right before the pass.

I can't say whether it'll be worth doing. Is there something that has both Shell Smash and Baton Pass? Or Weak Armor and Baton Pass? Anyway, not all status Z-Moves will be great, just like not all damaging Z-Moves will be great.

EDIT: Looks like Huntail and Gorebyss get both Shell Smash and (Z-)Baton pass.

Well the big reason is that you get to choose when you do the Z-Move, whereas White Herb just happens. So if you get hit by Intimidate at the start of the battle, White Herb will activate, and you can still have your stats lowered further later. But with Z-Baton Pass, you can reset all of your lowered stats right before the pass.

I can't say whether it'll be worth doing. Is there something that has both Shell Smash and Baton Pass? Or Weak Armor and Baton Pass? Anyway, not all status Z-Moves will be great, just like not all damaging Z-Moves will be great.
I don't know if he gets baton pass but Magcargo has shell smash and weak armor and he just got some slight buffs, could be a fun gimmick but I doubt it's enough to actually make him good

EDIT: Looks like Huntail and Gorebyss get both Shell Smash and (Z-)Baton pass.
Umbreon can now Cursepass without passing on speed drops.

It was assumed pre-leak that Breakneck Blitz (the Normal-type Z-Move) had priority. Is this actually true? If so, what priority bracket is it in?

A question came up in another thread, other than Protect-like moves reducing damage to 25%, are Z-moves blocked by abilities? Like using Hydro Vortex against something with Water Absorb?

And if blocked, is your Z-move used up?

Any idea on accuracy for Z-moves? Are they like Swift and can't miss, or just 100% and can be effected by evasion?

Do we get to use more than one mon with z-moves in a battle? I mean, I know we can have more than one holding a stone, but can they both use their z-moves on the same battle?

Do we get to use more than one mon with z-moves in a battle? I mean, I know we can have more than one holding a stone, but can they both use their z-moves on the same battle?
No, one Z-move per battle
Kinda like mega evolution

I might be wrong tho, I don't have the full game yet

I'm beginning to realize why they nerfed Talonflame..

+1 252 Atk Talonflame Supersonic Skystrike vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 262-310 (68.5 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Talonflame Supersonic Skystrike vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 358-423 (85.8 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Talonflame Supersonic Skystrike vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 214-252 (55.4 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Common heatran walls (barely) but is 2HKOed after SR (and has a chance to be 2hkoed after SR WITH LEFTIES)

Just for lulz:
+2 252 Atk Talonflame Supersonic Skystrike vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Primal Groudon: 262-309 (64.8 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You actually need to dredge Rhyperior up from RU to be able to reliably take the hit, and even then it does almost half (75% if you're counting the second brave bird hit)

+2 252 Atk Talonflame Supersonic Skystrike vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rhyperior: 180-212 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Note: These are JOLLY calcs, adamant is even more frightening

Last edited:

Common heatran walls (barely) but is 2HKOed after SR (and has a chance to be 2hkoed after SR WITH LEFTIES)

Just for lulz:

You actually need to dredge Rhyperior up from RU to be able to reliably take the hit, and even then it does almost half (75% if you're counting the second brave bird hit)
Ok, but there's no such thing as a 2hko. If it doesn't OHKO with Supersonic Skystrike, it has to use another move to finish the job. That makes it considerably less threatening depending on just how much of a stretch that 2hko is.

Hopefully as 7th gen goes on they'll release some more happy hour/celebrate/hold hands pokemon for the US, seeing as how the majority were in the UK or Japan (I mean they got a shiny ho oh with celebrate)

Ok, but there's no such thing as a 2hko. If it doesn't OHKO with Supersonic Skystrike, it has to use another move to finish the job. That makes it considerably less threatening depending on just how much of a stretch that 2hko is.
You are 2hkoing because Skystrike + Brave bird 2hkoes.

Put them side by side in the calculator yourself if you don't believe me.

Just for lulz:

Note: These are JOLLY calcs, adamant is even more frightening
But Z-moves do not have priority, so Gale Wings have nothing to do with it
Edit: Now that I think about it, Gale Wings gives priority to all Flying moves

So, Z-Extreme Speed doesn't get priority, but Gale Wings still gives priority to Z-Flying moves

And Z-moves are supposed to be a move that hurts insanily, but only being used once

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anyone actually expected this, but transforming a Priority move into its type Z-Move does ~NOT~ retain priority. ie Z-Bug from First Impression will NOT have Priority. RIP Golisopod :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)