Ice, Ice, Baby - Hail Discussion

I've tried, but I either run into Vaporeon with Heal Bell, Rest, or Hydration (which is only a problem if Abomasnow dies before his Politoed does).

Walrein's an awesome staller, but if Vaporeon keeps cleansing Toxic, he can outstall me, especially if he uses his own Toxic on me.
Does your Walrein not have Substitute?? O_o. Stallrein is faster than standard Vaporeon, and nothing (except HP Electric) will break its Sub. You shouldn't have any problem.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Excluding enemy weather, what are the main threats that hail teams have to watch out for? I imagine that Scrafty/Zuruzukin is one of them.

So, Abomasnow with Wood Hammer is probably your best bet against Vapo, but I normally take em down with an offensive Regice (it's TR doubles team, so he might not be as useful in singles). The new typing for Blizzard Rotom makes him a prime candidate for hail teams now too, and can get that nice STAB T-Bolt for all those pesky bulky waters.

Edit: Just checked out the opening post. Even though Hail hurts Nidoking, access to LO Sheer Force T-Bolt (not mention Blizzard) and being Poison type could really help in a situation like that. His weakness to water is a liability against Vapo though.

breh

強いだね
So, Abomasnow with Wood Hammer is probably your best bet against Vapo, but I normally take em down with an offensive Regice (it's TR doubles team, so he might not be as useful in singles). The new typing for Blizzard Rotom makes him a prime candidate for hail teams now too, and can get that nice STAB T-Bolt for all those pesky bulky waters.

Edit: Just checked out the opening post. Even though Hail hurts Nidoking, access to LO Sheer Force T-Bolt (not mention Blizzard) and being Poison type could really help in a situation like that. His weakness to water is a liability against Vapo though.
er... what

I don't suggest using Nidoking; it hits hard but doesn't have engouh speed or bulk to work that well.

How about a magic guard user, immune to hail, and toxic and life orb damage, leech seed, and entry hazard damage. Plus it benefits from toxic preventing sleep, freeze, paralysis or burn (which can still affect speed and attack stats). Think of that flying psychic one that can psychoo shift burn (flame orb) or toxic to vaporeon, can boost with calm mind or cosmic power to boost that STAB psychich move that hits from the foe's defense rather than Sp. Def. stat. etc.

How about a magic guard user, immune to hail, and toxic and life orb damage, leech seed, and entry hazard damage. Plus it benefits from toxic preventing sleep, freeze, paralysis or burn (which can still affect speed and attack stats). Think of that flying psychic one that can psychoo shift burn (flame orb) or toxic to vaporeon, can boost with calm mind or cosmic power to boost that STAB psychich move that hits from the foe's defense rather than Sp. Def. stat. etc.
Hmmm I never thought of adding Sigilyph to the team, but that makes him sound pretty good. I might replace my Honchkrow with him, though that makes it harder to counter Reuniclus.

Magic Guard does not prevent hail/sandstorm damage. Only dustproof does. 0.0

Magic Guard does not prevent hail/sandstorm damage. Only dustproof does. 0.0
Wrong, magic guard prevents all indirect damage, this includes status, weather, life orb recoil, leech seed etc.

Bulbapedia said:
Magic Guard prevents indirect damage, such as from Hail, Toxic, Curse, or Leech Seed. It does not prevent status problems, but rather protects from damaging effects. Damage caused upon being switched in, such as Stealth Rock, and Recoil is prevented except from using Struggle. If a Pokémon with Magic Guard causes a Pokémon that used Destiny Bond to faint, the Pokémon with Magic Guard will also faint. Magic Guard will also cancel out Life Orb's HP deduction without negating its power boost. Additional effects such as trapping from moves like Fire Spin and Attack reduction from a burn are not prevented. If paralyzed, a Pokémon with Magic Guard will suffer from the normal Speed reduction.

Anybody seeing Articuno a bit better than before due to Sky drop?As you can use it to get some damage as well as healing yourself.

breh

強いだね
Hmmm I never thought of adding Sigilyph to the team, but that makes him sound pretty good. I might replace my Honchkrow with him, though that makes it harder to counter Reuniclus.
Uhh... use Reuniclus instead lol

Also Scizor and (in DW) Unnerve Tar are better (well realistically more useful) Reuniclus counters and Scizor fits well onto any team in general.

Anybody seeing Articuno a bit better than before due to Sky drop?As you can use it to get some damage as well as healing yourself.
Sky drop is just too weak; you might as well use protect or something since all it takes is a switch to any faster physical pokemon (Terrakion especially) is bad.

Articuno does have potential though...

Bold Articuno @ Leftovers
Pressure
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Roost
Blizzard
Substitute
Protect

lure in rock types and sub; lol at them as their Stone Edge is wasted entirely by protect and substitute. 252 SpA makes Articuno less of a sitting duck.

Hidden Power Fire can be stuck somewhere to get rid of nattorei (either way you stall it out of gyro ball I guess but spikes are not fun)

I have to ask, does Tsunbear/Beartic have any worth on a hail team? I know he's not the best Pokemon, but I really like his design and would like to try to find some way to use the guy.

breh

強いだね
I have to ask, does Tsunbear/Beartic have any worth on a hail team? I know he's not the best Pokemon, but I really like his design and would like to try to find some way to use the guy.
No.

Your answer is no.

(think logically... what exactly does it gain from being on a hail team?)

No, since Mamoswine outclasses it in almost every conceivable way.

Seriously, Mamoswine is such a beast that an LO one can almost single handedly take on a Sandstorm team.

No.

Your answer is no.

(think logically... what exactly does it gain from being on a hail team?)
Eh, I figured as much. I mean, at most you could slap Brightpowder+Snow Cloak together and pray that you don't get hit while using Bulk Up, but that's incredibly gimmicky and as was said, Mamoswine could do that better if he wanted to.

Really, it seems like the newer Ice types aside from Kyurem don't seem all too handy for Hail teams. Rotom-F's Ghost typing is gone which is a shame as it can't spin-block anymore. I'd have to do some more research on Vanilluxe and Cryogonal, but from what I can tell they probably won't be all too useful either.

@AquaTeamV3

Actually, Vanilluce is quite good. Pody Purge- excuse me, Automotize, is actually a great set up move. A set of Body Purge/Blizzard/HP Fighting/Explosion(or your choice of other filler) with Ice Body and Lefties devastates everything if given the chance to set up.

Beartic can do something nothing else can do on a hail team: he can subpunch and force switches and stall for hail damage via Protect, forcing switches with Yawn, or running Shadow Claw/Night Slash in the 3rd slot to hit ghosts safely from behind a sub. He can also run Taunt/Encore to mess with things and let you get the advantageous switch vs. other pokemon. Snow Cloak helps to abuse the whole subpunch strategy, as basically NOTHING is gonna enjoy taking 2 icicle crashes OR 2 focus punches, and a 20-28% chance to miss is a big deal.

It doesn't matter that Rotom-F has lost its ghost typing because Jellicent is a better spinblocker in a hail team.
It still gets Blizzard, still has steel resistance and fighting immunity, has an additional fire resistance and Recover.
Yeah, I'm planning to use him when I get my Hail Team together (just picked up White today, actually). Jellicent's typing is amazing, and he really makes for an excellent stall-ish spinblocker.

Beartic can do something nothing else can do on a hail team: he can subpunch and force switches and stall for hail damage via Protect, forcing switches with Yawn, or running Shadow Claw/Night Slash in the 3rd slot to hit ghosts safely from behind a sub. He can also run Taunt/Encore to mess with things and let you get the advantageous switch vs. other pokemon. Snow Cloak helps to abuse the whole subpunch strategy, as basically NOTHING is gonna enjoy taking 2 icicle crashes OR 2 focus punches, and a 20-28% chance to miss is a big deal.
Hmm, that's an interesting set. Of course, I'd have to see how it works in real combat and not 'Theorymon', but I know from experience that Snow Cloak can be a big help. At least it's good to know that he does have some kind of purpose, no matter how small it might be. It's always fun to try to squeeze your favorites in on your team, even if they aren't always up to snuff with the others. I'm shocked that they didn't even give him Earthquake, though...

As for Vanilluxe, it looks like he can be a pretty good sweeper with the right setup. Certainly an interesting design as well.

I think vaniluxe would be better suited for a rain or sun team,driftblim would be better for hail thanks to the fighting immunity and it also has weather ball fir pseudo boltbeam.

How does he learn Yawn?Oh and he has low speed and probably is quite fragile due to the 4 Weaknesses even though he has some bulk.Mind posting a Moveset?

Mono Hail ICE

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Spikes
Destiny Bond
Disable
Taunt

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Sub
Leech Seed
Blizzard
Wood Hammer

Piloswine @ Eviolite
thick fat

Stealth Rock
Ice Shard
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Kyurem: @ Choice Scarf

Blizzard
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Outrage

Cloyster: @ White Herb

Waterfall
Shell Smash
Rock Blast
Icicle Spear

Regice: @ Leftovers

Blizzard
Charge Beam
Protect
Thunderwave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)