SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooray, more Gen 1 pandering stuff. I like the original games and all, but come on now.
Team Rocket is Pokemon's closest thing to an iconic villain, especially when they are somewhat reoccurring and always present in other media. Eight years is a long time for such a main villain not to be in a game in any series.

To be fair, it's not just Team Rocket, supposedly by the main world Giovanni's doing, alternate versions of some of the evil team leaders will come together to form this comic-book styled evil alliance.
This would be a neat idea, do you have a source for that?

Up until Guzma, Giovanni was the most believable/best villain in the series anyway. Most of the other bosses either had moronic plots, lacked charisma, or a compelling personality.

I know people are going to criticize what they see as Gen 1 pandering, but keep in mind Gen 7 was heavily constructed around the 20th anniversary of Pokémon.

Team Rocket is Pokemon's closest thing to an iconic villain, especially when they are somewhat reoccurring and always present in other media. Eight years is a long time for such a main villain not to be in a game in any series.

This would be a neat idea, do you have a source for that?
It's from these 3 major leaks that first named dropped the "RR" abbreviation(supposedly this super organization is going to be called Rainbow Rocket). The last two go more into detail saying that Giovanni brings together past villains from alternate timelines where they were successful in their plans.

The crazy old man inside my head just had a revelation. I think I know why they're now calling themselves "Rainbow Rocket". I know unconfirmed leaks aren't discussed here (and for good reasons), but to anyone that has seen the "USUM Wishlist" leak, you know what I'm talking about.

Edit: I'm a snail.

Whoa whoa whoa...Team Rocket in USUM? And the possibility of Giovanni reuniting all the villanous team leaders (whose schemes were successful)? That's exciting

Generations has already heavily indicated that Giovanni was coming back with a better, stronger Team Rocket than ever, and that the Team Rocket story was not over. Team Rocket isn't exclusive to Gen I, anyway; it carried over into Gen II, but didn't really leave itself with any sort of resolution, even then. Sure, there was everything that happened in the Radio Tower with the executives who gave up hope that Giovanni was coming back. Except, the only time we heard anything from Giovanni himself, it was through a hidden event in HGSS.

A return of Team Rocket was inevitable, the only question was when. It's entirely possible that their appearance here is inconsequential, just something minor to do with the portals. If this is not a minor event, however, then this is one of those details that I really wish that they had kept hidden until the release, and that they would have let impact us directly in game. This might be like how Terminator Genisys shot itself in the foot by revealing John Connor's role in the story before the movie was even out.
Normally I wouldn't look to the anime or tv media as a clue-in to what's going on, but they've shown that some sub-events in USUM is going to be partially inspired by the anime, like petting a random Rockruff on the side of the road. It's mentioned in the anime that Rockruff have no problem cozying up to people even if it hasn't been captured, so it would appear they're emulating that in the new games. Other anime-based inspiration is always open game, however unexpected.

So, regarding this "Rainbow Rocket" alliance thing (is it confirmed in any way?)... given that Solgaleo/Lunala Poke-ride is postgame, might this be an actual explanation for finding the legendaries, rather than just being Hoopa Solgalunala-portalled in? We know Mewtwo's in, Lugia and Ho-oh are probably in and the prominence of the other generations' cover legendaries on that national dex booklet might imply that they all show up.

If the team leaders' plans were successful, in most cases that would involve stopping the third version legendary from interfering -- possibly by capturing it. And in previous paired versions, the team leader's plan has differed primarily by which legendary they care about. So it kinda makes sense if Rainbow Rocket goes slightly differently by version, and each team leader has two ubers that you have to fight (which would make them very threatening postgame opponents). They lose them on defeat and the player can then go and catch them.

For instance, Ultra Sun might have Maxie with Primal Groudon and Mega Rayquaza, Cyrus with Dialga and Giratina, Ghetsis with Black Kyurem and the Reshiram he took from N/the player, Lysandre with Xerneas and Zygarde and Giovanni with Mewtwo and Lugia. (No real reason for Giovanni to have Lugia or Ho-oh other than fanservice, admittedly.) Ultra Moon would have the corresponding opposites, and this would explain the version exclusivity of certain legendaries.

Obviously this is wild speculation, but if that is the explanation for the presence of legendaries like Mewtwo in wormholes, that means we might not necessarily get all of the VGC relevant legendaries -- they're much less important to the plans of the teams.

Just noticed this, but question: Why is the MC riding on Lunala on the Sun card and Solgaleo on the Moon one?
If I had to guess, because you've already personally caught Solgaleo and possibly merged it with Necrozma in Ultra Sun, whereas Lunala is still around and thus available for people to ride on. Easier than adding a flag for whether or not your Solgaleo has Necrozma bits on it or not, especially when you might have just traded it away. It would also explain why the riding is postgame locked (which I think is confirmed?) when you probably get Solgaleo during the main story.

Not that they ever worried about it with riding Latios and Latias after you've potentially traded them away, mind you.

Normally I wouldn't look to the anime or tv media as a clue-in to what's going on, but they've shown that some sub-events in USUM is going to be partially inspired by the anime, like petting a random Rockruff on the side of the road. It's mentioned in the anime that Rockruff have no problem cozying up to people even if it hasn't been captured, so it would appear they're emulating that in the new games. Other anime-based inspiration is always open game, however unexpected.
Generations wasn't anime-based, though. It's based on the games, so although it's animated, it falls within the purvue of the game canon, if a bit tweaked for the sake of not relying on the player characters. It was a "behind the scenes" series that was designed to both celebrate twenty years of the games, and to supplement the stories of those games with extra information or a more detailed look at certain events or locations.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Up until Guzma, Giovanni was the most believable/best villain in the series anyway. Most of the other bosses either had moronic plots, lacked charisma, or a compelling personality.

I know people are going to criticize what they see as Gen 1 pandering, but keep in mind Gen 7 was heavily constructed around the 20th anniversary of Pokémon.
That's nice and all, but the anniversary was last year.

This is just straight-up pandering.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I don't know how y'all are complaining that this is pandering when we're getting Team Rocket back! That's fucking sweet! I just hope that if this is more than just a few cameos that Team Rocket can meet with Team Skull, that would make for a good ass partnership

I don't know how y'all are complaining that this is pandering when we're getting Team Rocket back! That's fucking sweet! I just hope that if this is more than just a few cameos that Team Rocket can meet with Team Skull, that would make for a good ass partnership
I won't really be interested when they are taking the spotlight. Well, I suppose I don't mind if they partake in a part, but if they deny spotlight to Team Skull or Aether Foundation... especially that Team Skull seems to be quite a favourite with quite some potentials to be expanded, and the same with Aether Foundation's past or other things.

Still, I can think they could at least meddle in the end or is revealed to be behind this or something or pulling a Delta Episode, anything but involving them directly taking part in the main story. I'll only forgive them if Team Skull and Aether gets enough of their spotlight.

I wouldn't call it pandering, for all we know, they want to throw in everything they can in previous generations into what will be the last main series game on the 3DS. There could still be so much left to announce or for us to find out ourselves.

Reactions: Mq

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The pandering can be bad because GF might forgot how and why Team Rocket worked and just lower them to the level of other evil teams. I don't want to see TR trying to take over the world or some other silly crap when that was never their thing.

GF has said that they're making it easier to capture (even easier?) and train Pokemon in USUM. I hope this means we'll get something like the Pokemon Radar from ORAS again, I mean seriously that was just about perfect for IV hunting. Also Horde Encounters/Super Training since afaik SM lacks anything like this unless I've managed to miss it somehow.

GF has said that they're making it easier to capture (even easier?) and train Pokemon in USUM. I hope this means we'll get something like the Pokemon Radar from ORAS again, I mean seriously that was just about perfect for IV hunting. Also Horde Encounters/Super Training since afaik SM lacks anything like this unless I've managed to miss it somehow.
From the Famitsu interview, they cited Rotopon as the reason for this. Horde encounters were mainly for EV training anyway and have been made easier with SOS.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, before I heard about the leaks I was going to bring up that it's not too odd a new Team Rocket would appear in Alola. This is Gen I pandering, but it's exactly why its possible, Alola's relation to Kanto has been firmly cemented so it would make sense when Team Rocket was active there might have been a group operating in Alola. And if I was allowed to theorize deeper... maybe this has a connection to Team Skull and could be why we haven't heard much about them in USUM.

Let's remember Team Skull's roots, they're followers of Ula'ula's previous Kahuna who got ousted by Tapu Bulu after he did something to anger it. A Kahuna (and their chosen Trial Captains) acts much like a Gym Leader does in their community, being a powerful trainer and high ranking member of society. You know, sort of like Giovanni was when he was Viridian's Gym Leader. What if the previous Kahuna was a Team Rocket executive, the Alolan Giovanni (like how Samson is the Alolan Oak), secretly running an Alola branch of Team Rocket? Or, rather maybe trying to set one up. Maybe Team Skull was the result of the previous Kahuna trying to create an Alola branch of Team Rocket in secret, but than the main Kanto branch of Team Rocket fell apart and later Tapu Bulu sensed the betrayal of the Kahuna. Seems like in SM the Kahuna either ran away or died, leaving the surviving followers to their own and creating Team Skull based on the Kahuna's teachings, teachings which were meant to create an Alola branch of Team Rocket.

So where does Rainbow Rocket come in? Well being we're dealing with alternate realities, what if the old Kahuna didn't run away/died and instead stuck it out, eventually creating his Alolan Team Rocket? Either this is the reality of the main Pokemon World in USUM or can be an Ultra Space portal thing. If it's the reality of the main USUM this could explain why Team Skull hasn't been shown much outside of Guzma, it could be the majority of members who were part of Team Skull are now members of Rainbow Rocket while Team Skull is maybe just a small street gang (how they formed who knows, maybe from the Kahuna followers who felt something was off about the Kahuna after being ousted so chose to split off). This could make for an interesting twist as this means we now have FOUR antagonist groups with all seemingly having different goals and clashing with one another. Like maybe instead of Team Skull, Lusamine made a deal with Team Rocket. Or, she still makes the deal with Team Skull seeing them and Guzma being easier to manipulate and have them be the Aether Paradise's eyes and ears on Team Rocket. What does this mean for Plumeria, who is believed to be one of the original followers of the Kahuna. Could she be part of Rainbow Rocket, or maybe she was one of the founding members of Team Skull sensing something off with the Kahuna. And what does this mean for Po Town? With Team Skull not as big, they couldn't have taken it over... but Rainbow Rocket surely would have the numbers and resources to do a subtle takeover. OR, if this is just an Ultra Space scenario, could we maybe see a reality where Rainbow Rocket had taken over Alola and maybe see Team Skull members being part of Rainbow Rocket, mainly Guzma and Plumeria? A lot of possibilities.

As for Giovanni showing back up, who knows. Certainly a possibility, if the Pokemon World Tournament is canon than we know he's alive after HGSS. In the PWT he doesn't seemed to have changed, he's still focused on training to become the strongest trainer ever. Though in the Kanto games he said Team Rocket is finished forever, HGSS showed he was heavily considering coming back to the fragments of Team Rocket hearing how loyal they still were of him. Due to losing to a time traveling HGSS player, Giovanni gave up once again and kept to his self-exile... though him having loyal followers wanting him back would probably always be on his mind. Maybe he finally decided it was time for Team Rocket to return, but starting in a small and isolated region like Alola to build up their numbers (too bad he didn't know Red and Blue were made bosses of the Battle Tree... OR maybe that's why they were!).

But we mustn't ignore another possibility (well, another another possibility). If not Giovanni or my theory guess, we still have the Executives. Archer gave up, but don't think Proton or Petrel would given up so easily, and who knows about Ariana. Still clinging on for the return of Team Rocket, could maybe one of them start up Rainbow Rocket?

And speaking of Red and Blue, certainly they wouldn't sit out knowing a new branch of Team Rocket is on the rise. And maybe not only them, with one of the complaints of the Battle Tree is how small the amount of special trainers there were, this would be a nice excuse to bring in some linked to Team Rocket such as Silver, Ethan, Kris, and Lyra.

Now with that all out of the way, gotta say I hope those leaks aren't true or at the very least wrong in the details. Giovanni going dimension hopping to gather the other villain team bosses? That sounds a bit too fanfic-y in my opinion. Also doesn't really sound like a Giovanni thing to do. Giovanni doesn't want to take over the world, he just wants to be the strongest trainer, own the most powerful and rare Pokemon, and be filthy rich. Gathering/joining the other villains team bosses would only be adding rivals to his claim, trainers who are on his level which he wants all to himself.

Also this sounds like a major thing for them to do, would GF really want to blow their entire load this early? Like this sounds like something you'd do after doing some other things with Ultra Space first, like exploring the extent of the alternate realities possibilities (so far we've only confirmed that Ultra Space connects the Mega Timeline with the Original Timeline, both timelines we can experience by playing the original Gen III and Gen VII).

Reactions: TJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)