(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I feel certain they have messed with the battle engine at various points since gen 3 (the way messages and I think animations display for double battles in particular I think has been altered, hell the way things like raids work...) they just like how it works for this. "Why would someone not want to see the exact stat raised each time? It's very convenient!" + "There's not many moves that raise multiple stages at once, so there's no reason to bother" is the exact kind of developer thought I can see that somehow leads to Anger Shell proccing 5 separate times to tell you what changed (They did, incidentally, update this so that Anger Shell only activates once, then it plays the 5 messages, instead of Anger Shell indication then one message, then another and so on)

Legends Arceus did have its own battle engine tweak but aside from it porbably stil lbeing based on the same engine to begin with, I think it just simplified stat messages because stat buffs in general worked differently. There was no raising distinct stats by different stages, so there was no need for it. So they changed it.

See also: Stuff like how there's no mass release option outside of LA, Home & Let's Go because those are "capture" focused games. "Why would you want to mass release in a normal game??"
Just feels like that kind of dev-thought

I feel certain they have messed with the battle engine at various points since gen 3 (the way messages and I think animations display for double battles in particular I think has been altered, hell the way things like raids work...) they just like how it works for this. "Why would someone not want to see the exact stat raised each time? It's very convenient!" + "There's not many moves that raise multiple stages at once, so there's no reason to bother" is the exact kind of developer thought I can see that somehow leads to Anger Shell proccing 5 separate times to tell you what changed (They did, incidentally, update this so that Anger Shell only activates once, then it plays the 5 messages, instead of Anger Shell indication then one message, then another and so on)

Legends Arceus did have its own battle engine tweak but aside from it porbably stil lbeing based on the same engine to begin with, I think it just simplified stat messages because stat buffs in general worked differently. There was no raising distinct stats by different stages, so there was no need for it. So they changed it.

See also: Stuff like how there's no mass release option outside of LA, Home & Let's Go because those are "capture" focused games. "Why would you want to mass release in a normal game??"
Just feels like that kind of dev-thought
I mean, assuming Home's working you can just do the mass release through it on the normal games, even with the free version. So the non-Legends normal games don't really need it?

I mean, assuming Home's working you can just do the mass release through it on the normal games, even with the free version. So the non-Legends normal games don't really need it?
It was just an example I brought up, based on other conversations, to show different schools of development thought that probably go into these decisions so the fact you can work around it with Home is kind of irrelevant (& just brings up another more annoying point about Home features...) to the actual point I was making.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While this might involve more work, for Moves which affect multiple stats they could just hard code a message that Move specifically uses:

Cloyster used Shell Smash!
Cloyster's Defense and Special Defense lowered! But its Attack, Special Attack, and Speed sharply rose!
Klinklang used Shift Gear!
Klinklang's Attack rose and Speed sharply rose!
Kommo-o used Clangorous Soul!
Kommo-o's lost a third of its HP! But it's Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed rose!
Falinks used No Retreat!
Falink's Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed rose! But it can no longer switch or run away!

Scarlet and Violet critical captures suck. After you’ve registered a Pokémon into the dex, every capture afterward requires it to be critical to catch. This is less of a problem and more of an annoyance because it means that every time you throw a ball to catch something you’ve already caught, if it’s not critical, it won’t catch, so you’ll know in advance whether it’ll catch or not, wasting 4 to 7 seconds of your time each time. This really turned me off when I went after shiny Roaring Moon, got it down to Low HP and paralysed, only for it to not care about all my catches because they weren’t critical; I had to reset twice to catch it in the ball I wanted it in.
This also applies to the second Koraidon/Miraidon capture, and it’s also bad there.

Scarlet and Violet critical captures suck. After you’ve registered a Pokémon into the dex, every capture afterward requires it to be critical to catch. This is less of a problem and more of an annoyance because it means that every time you throw a ball to catch something you’ve already caught, if it’s not critical, it won’t catch, so you’ll know in advance whether it’ll catch or not, wasting 4 to 7 seconds of your time each time. This really turned me off when I went after shiny Roaring Moon, got it down to Low HP and paralysed, only for it to not care about all my catches because they weren’t critical; I had to reset twice to catch it in the ball I wanted it in.
This also applies to the second Koraidon/Miraidon capture, and it’s also bad there.
I've caught plenty of Pokemon after the dex was complete without a critical catch, I think you just got unlucky. Which tracks for Roaring Moon with its catch rate 10 and Koraidon with its catch rate 3

That's not how it works. All repeat captures do regular shake checks, they just animate as critical if all checks succeed (but make you sit through the shakes if one fails). You don't have to actually get a critical catch.

https://x.com/Sibuna_Switch/status/1605461560293482496?s=20

Last edited:
That's not how it works. All repeat captures do regular shake checks, they just animate as critical if all checks succeed (but make you sit through the shakes if one fails). You don't have to actually get a critical catch.

https://x.com/Sibuna_Switch/status/1605461560293482496?s=20
Wow, I didn’t know that. By the way, it wasn’t just Roaring Moon and the Bikemons - just regular, common Pokémon also failed to catch unless it was critical - but I suppose it doesn’t matter with this information. I still find it annoying that it can make you sit through up to three shakes even though you know it won’t catch, though.

This reminds me of when I complained about SwSh skip travel not working inside buildings (because tbf I’ve played other games that let you do this) and I believe Hugin corrected me and explained why that is. These forums are super useful in that regard. Thanks for the info guys!

So there's a number of Pokemon that only get one ability.
Usually it makes sense.
Levitate is dumb and already broken twice, but those are the exceptoins that prove the rule (please just break this rule entirely gamefreak c'mon man)
Legendary (& Mythic) Pokemon most frequently don't get them at all these days (shoutouts to the Tapu & Loyal 3)
Cocoon Pokemon, I guess for the aesthetic
And of course Gimmick pokemon. Makes sense why something like Mimikyu ONLY has Disguise, you know? Slaking & Archeops are always going to have their bad abilities as part of their game design. Forecast, Flower Gift, and so on.

And there's a lot of things to pick at within those for various reasons, the one Pokemon I keep coming back to......is Stunfisk-G
Why does it only have Mimicry? Mimicking its surroundings stuff is obviously part of its design, but it's not really a gimmick that it would have to have. It's not so integral to its design or gameplay that it should be limited to ONLY that ability. Contrast with something like Dancer (EVERYTHING about Oricorio is about the concept) or Comatose (by design and lore, it is always sleeping)
It feels like something they'd put in a Hidden Ability like Grass Pelt Propeller Tail, Stalwart, Cursed Body, etc.

So there's a number of Pokemon that only get one ability.
Usually it makes sense.
Levitate is dumb and already broken twice, but those are the exceptoins that prove the rule (please just break this rule entirely gamefreak c'mon man)
Legendary (& Mythic) Pokemon most frequently don't get them at all these days (shoutouts to the Tapu & Loyal 3)
Cocoon Pokemon, I guess for the aesthetic
And of course Gimmick pokemon. Makes sense why something like Mimikyu ONLY has Disguise, you know? Slaking & Archeops are always going to have their bad abilities as part of their game design. Forecast, Flower Gift, and so on.

And there's a lot of things to pick at within those for various reasons, the one Pokemon I keep coming back to......is Stunfisk-G
Why does it only have Mimicry? Mimicking its surroundings stuff is obviously part of its design, but it's not really a gimmick that it would have to have. It's not so integral to its design or gameplay that it should be limited to ONLY that ability. Contrast with something like Dancer (EVERYTHING about Oricorio is about the concept) or Comatose (by design and lore, it is always sleeping)
It feels like something they'd put in a Hidden Ability like Grass Pelt Propeller Tail, Stalwart, Cursed Body, etc.
Speaking of which...

I truly despise hidden signature abilities.

Granted, Gale Wings Fletchling is a bit too much for in-game, but Propeller Tail? Grass Pelt? Give me a break.

Speaking of which...

I truly despise hidden signature abilities.

Granted, Gale Wings Fletchling is a bit too much for in-game, but Propeller Tail? Grass Pelt? Give me a break.
Gen 8 in particular seemed to lean into it as a gimmick. I can kind of see the design space for it, the hidden potential thing that leans into them more, but it was a little silly with the number of them.
Which I really had to groan at as I assembled them for the Home Ability dex

Gen 9 they seemed to realzie it was overkill, I think Bombirdier is the only one who does that. Though I can't really understand why.

Speaking of Propeller Tail, Buizel and Floatzel have an empty ability slot and tails that are literally propellers. Why didn't they get Propeller Tail?
I guess you could argue "Screw Tailfin" is more specific to a fish than a weasel but...I think it's one they could easily just look the other way on.

Actually here's another for the pile but in a different direction: Why does Turtonator only have Shell Armor? It's so weird for a Pokemon to only have one ability that's not one of the "special" exceptions I listed above. Especially when its kind-of counterpart Drampa has a full suite of 3.

Speaking of Propeller Tail, Buizel and Floatzel have an empty ability slot and tails that are literally propellers. Why didn't they get Propeller Tail?
Tbh I think GF more or less forgot of these.

"Cannot redirect" gimmick was mostly made with VGC in mind, with Amoongus and Clefairy being staples, and specifically in case of water types, Gastrodon existing.
However... the gimmick was mostly ignored (tbh mainly due to, as usual, being on bad pokemon).

Since it was barely ever used they probably forgot that ability even exists.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)