Gen 2 1.2.4.12.Venu (Dual Screens Para Wak)

See https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gsc-ou-team-classification-system.3668505/ for team shorthand classification explanation.

This team is inspired by Uncle Eyeroll’s RMT. Check it out here, it’s a really cool team! https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/leaf-drumming-lizard.3666168/

Karen – “Insert most overused quote about using your favorite pokemon here.”

Venusaur is no doubt one of my favorite pokemon, and the dual screens idea I think works really well with a sweeper than happens to be among my absolute favorite in the tier, Marowak, so I had to try this idea! I guess it’s more of a “fun team”, rather than something super serious, and the idea is to set up Marowak to sweep. Leads can be either of Snorlax or Raikou.

:gs/snorlax:
Snorlax – Body Slam , Curse , Sleep Talk , Rest

This time Snorlax is used more as a backup sweeper and support mon. And it fills that role admirably. Spread para, and absorb sleep is the name of the game. It can do great work if you keep it healthy. Basically anything it manages to para is great, due to Marowak’s low speed, but the most useful thing it usually gets to hit is Cloyster. Way to go, good guy Lax. Late game it can sweep with curse, but be careful on relying on that if the opposing curse double edge lax is alive, as it will have the upper hand.

:gs/raikou:
Raikou – Thunder , Reflect , Roar , Rest

Roar reflect Kou is great for this team. The value of the screen for Marowak, to avoid getting chipped by physical attackers, is obvious. Roar is also great as a little bit of spikes damage can be enough to put something in range for your Wak, with Kou-Skarm forming a potent phasing combo. Thunder is chosen because gotta go for that para, lol.

:gs/venusaur:
Venusaur – Sleep Powder , Body Slam , Light Screen , Synthesis

Venusaur is a super cool mon. It’s a bulky, relatively fast grass type with access to sleep powder and light screen, the latter of which we definitely want to set up on this team for our head boy Marowak. Unfortunately, it does have some gaps in its move pool that are unfortunate, but this set lets it do what it needs. Getting status on Zapdos with either of sleep powder or para from body slam is awesome, so that’s why body slam is chosen over razor leaf or giga drain. The stab moves unfortunately do pitiful damage (even crit razor leaf) to anything that’s switching in on Venu. It does have very nice bulk to take HP Ice after setting up light screen, but remember Synthesis PP is a very limited 8, so you won’t have much time to mess around. Take some chances to get the para if you can, set up the screen, and get out ASAP.

:gs/marowak:
Marowak – Earthquake , Rock Slide , Fire Blast , Swords Dance

Marowak is the star of this team. Everything is designed to set up this pokemon to sweep. If you have screens up and things are paralyzed, then its as simple as clicking SD, then the appropriate move. Very few things are going to be switching in and causing it trouble in those circumstances. Fire Blast chosen over a hidden power option to get through Skarm, as this team is having little trouble with something like Egg or Heracross. Waters get pounded by earthquake anyway, and light screen can help you get through them in a pinch (although I'd prefer them paralyzed if at all possible, obviously).

:gs/skarmory:
Skarmory – Drill Peck , Curse , Whirlwind , Rest

Curse Skarm as obligatory curse lax check. If fire or thunder lax, you should still have opportunity to play around it, with Cloyster toxic, Raikou reflect/roar, Venu support. It may even be necessary to sleep such a set with Venu. Other than that, forms a good defensive phasing core with Raikou. Can help check Egg and Hera as well.

:gs/cloyster:
Cloyster – Spikes , Surf , Toxic , Rapid Spin

The spikes GOAT makes his return here. Rapid spin is chosen to clear the field for Marowak, which doesn’t have access to Leftovers due to its necessary Thick Club Item. Honestly, with screens, and an idea of bringing in Marowak only once, it could be possible to drop Spin for explosion, but I think there are going to be situations where you will want to switch out your Wak anyway, so Spin makes sense. Toxic is key once again for checking powerful mons trying to set-up, although the defensive solidity of the team with phazers and screens in tandem should mean you don’t have to rely on it too much for that purpose.

And now for a completely irrelevant, random rep.

If you’ve got 2 phazers, you should probably beat Baton Pass, lol:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-1161990204-2ulgglbpqfilxtbezdls8vbrazbtccxpw

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: none
- Thunder
- Reflect
- Roar
- Rest

Snorlax @ Leftovers
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Marowak @ Thick Club
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance

Venusaur @ Leftovers
- Sleep Powder
- Body Slam
- Light Screen
- Synthesis

Skarmory @ Leftovers
- Drill Peck
- Curse
- Whirlwind
- Rest

Cloyster @ Leftovers
- Spikes
- Surf
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)