1st NU team! (Advices and Suggestions)

From UU, to RU, and now to NU. To be honest, I've found this one to be the most difficult tier for a Newbie, since there so many pokemon, abilities and strategies compared to the other three tiers (maybe it's just my point of view...). Anyway, I've slowly built a team which is now quite good, but as always some advices would be well-accepted :)

Team Building Process (NOTE THAT EACH POKEMON'S ROLE WILL GO IN DEPTH IN ITS ANALYSIS PARAGRAPH)

First of all, I wanted to put on my team two walls: for Physical Attacks, I went to Alomomola, which has a huge amount of HP as well as a good Physical Def.

For what concerne the Special Wall, Misdreavus seemed to me a great choice: thanks to Eviolite, its Sp.Def. goes very high, and he's also immune to some Physical threats like Fight and Normal moves.

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer". I've learnt to hate this bastard even in higher tiers, how could I not use Liepard on my team? Besides, a Prankster Pokemon can always be useful.

I can't win a match by simply walling or making my opponent mad, I have to attack too: so I chose Gardevoir for the Special offense...

...and Golurk for the Physical offense, since it's also immune to Alomomola biggest thread (Electricity), and can switch in without getting damaged at all.

A scarfer it's always useful, even if I don't particularly like to be stucked on one single move. "Kingler would fit the role perfectly, since it's quite fast and has the 4th best attack stats in the entire tier", I thought.

It seems like I was thinking wrong: a Focus Sash Gorebyss totally swept me, since it came in on Alomomola, used Shell Smash on my switching turn to Kingler, and outspeeded it to death. I found that Sawk has more speed, so I went for it. At the same time, I realized I had three weaknesses to Ghost, so I switched Misd to Togetic, which can also take advantage of Eviolite and is immune to Ghost Types.

In Depth

Alomomola
@ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Scald ------> Aqua Jet
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off -------> Toxic

As I've already said, Alomomola is my physical wall, helped in that by his awesome Regenerator ability. At first, I've given him Scald and Knock Off: Scald was meant to burn physical threats after tanking them, while Knock Off was mostly useful against Lefties and Eviolite users (like the fucking Tangela, which I could weaken down for then switch to a most approprite counter). There was a problem with this set: Alomomola wasn't able to beat a thing. In one particular fight, I ended up losing against a weak water pokemon (I don't remember which was) 'cause I wasn't able to damage it properly, while he succeded in use Toxic and slowly kill me! So I switched Knock Off with Toxic, that combined with Almomola Def. + Wish + Protect is very good. Besides, I also switched Scald with Aqua Jet: it doesn't do very much, but when an opponent's threat is under 10% HP I can finish it off, regardless of his Speed. Wish, of course, it's also helpful for healing up the other team members (particularly Sawk, which can regain full health and Sturdy with it).

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack/Extrasensory (?)
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Roost

With an amazing 508.5 Special Defense's stat, Togetic is my special wall for the team. He's also the Heal Bell user: I think, personally, that this move is NECESSARY in this tier, since there are lots of Toxic users, Prankster motherf**kers, and so on... Roost is obviously for regaining health without have to switch into Alomomola and waste two turns (another thing for which Togetic is better than Misdreavus, since it has no healing moves): the loose of the Flying part is also good, 'cause it makes Electric and Ice moves (the two biggest threats to Togetic) useless - even if a Fight move would kill me! I only have a doubt about the offensive move: Tri Attack has the STAB, and combined with Serene Grace could be amazing (40% chance of Burning, Paralyzing or Freezing), but at the same time if my goal would be to Toxic the opponent, I would give it a status condition that would prevent me to do so; Extrasensory would be useful against Fight types and Poison Types (which I can't Toxic), but it doesn't have any Stab on. If I'd stick with Tri Attack, the biggest thread of all to Togetic will be Haunter: if I'd go with Extrasensory, it will be Skuntank.

Liepard @ Red Card (?)
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave (?)
- Dark Pulse ---------> Knock Off
- Taunt
- Encore

Liepard, Liepard, Liepard: sometimes I hate her, sometimes I love her. Why? Well, if you have to deal with Pokemon who like to set up, or with Baton Passers (which I totally HATE), the Encore/Taunt combo would be a pain in the a**. But if you don't have to deal with those kind of pokemon, you would probably go down in one hit, sometimes in two, without being very useful. Knock Off, which I chose over Dark Pulse, isn't very strong, but allows you to remove Eviolite and Lefties, so you would be able to destroy those motherf**kers better! Thunder Wave it's the move I love the less, but it's pretty good in slowing down speedy threads. I guess, right now, any of you who are reading would think "what about SWAGGER"? Well, I don't like it: I don't like it at all! I mean, come on! If you're lucky, it's insanely OP: if you're unlucky, it's shit. But most of all, what would happen if the opponent would snap out after only one turn? Boom! Tons of fucking damage, and there we go. Sure, maybe I could run a sash... and speaking of this: what Item should I use? Red Card isn't as good as I thought, since it doesn't work if you die.

Gardevoir @ Focus Sash
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD (?)
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball ------> Focus Blast

All hail the Queen! Only Glaceon tops her in Special Attack, but it's slower and less bulky on the special side: besides, I don't really think Glaceon has the access to such a varying movepool! Psychic is the good, oldfashioned STAB move, while Signal Beam is good to counter both Psychic and Dark types (even if I would probably switch out on them). Energy Ball has a specific use: combined with Sash, it makes Gardevoir able to crash Shell Smashers like Gorebyss, Huntail and Carracosta. I used to run Shadow Ball, but it's useful only against Psychic (as Signal Beam) and Ghosts, which I would never try to face with the Queen: instead, I have once went down to 2 Crunches by a Granbull, so I've deciced to add the powerful-yet-inaccurate Focus Blast to deal better with Normal types. My main question mark here is, as you can see, on the EV's spread: should I pumped up HP, Physical Defense or Speed, instead of Special Defense?

Golurk @ Leftovers --------> Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock --------> Ice Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake

The main reason why Golurk is on my team is about his part Ground-type, which makes it immune to Electricity: since both my walls are weak to that, Golurk can switch in and simply don't get any damage. I used to run Stealth Rock on it, since I'd like to be able to set up Hazards, but why prevent me to have a great counter to Grass and Flying types like Ice Punch? Tropius will go down with ease against one of those motherf**ing punches! Drain Punch is also very very good, since it allows Golurk to regain health after the hit: against Normal-types, whose STABbed moves can't touch Golurk at all, it's useful as f**k. After a little fight, I've decided to switch Lefties with Life Orb: combine the huge Attack stats of Golruk (5th in the tier, with only 1 point less than the #4) with it, and with his ability Iron Fist (which pumped up Punching moves), and you will have a great physical attacker. I don't particularly like the No Guard/Dynamic Punch combo, since it makes Will-O-Wisp 100% accurate against Golurk, halving down his attack too easy.

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge (?)

Sawk is the scarfer guy, the fast-yet-stong guy to finish up weakened Pokemon or outspeed Speedy/Shell Smashers and crash them down. His movepool offers good coverage, as well as Golurk's one (they're similar): Close Combat is the obvious, strong-as-hell, STABbed move; Earthquake is mostly useful against Fire and Poison types; Ice Punch works well for Grass and Flying types; Rock Slide (on which I can't decide myself: should I stuck with it, or switch to the strongest-yet-inaccurate Stone Edge?) may be a little redunandt, but let's ask to Bug pokemon and Articuno for an opinon... Sturdy is just great, since it allows Sawk to tank every hit and strikes back (even if Hazards break it). All in all, a very good sweeper, expecially in the late turns of the fight.

Last edited:
This team has decent ideas, but lacks the execution to really make the team work. As a whole, the team is surprisingly balanced, but the individual sets are lacking as a whole.

On Golurk, you should run 180 Speed EV, to outspeed Standard Smogon Golurk by 1 Point and beat it with Shadow Punch. I also suggest you run Stealth Rocks over either Drain Punch or Ice Punch, dependant on which you feel is more necessary to keep. Drain Punch offers further longevity, but Ice Punch grants you a way to beat Max Defense Roselia as well as Standard Swellow. Leftovers is also key to Golurk's success, as it detests losing HP. If you require a boost to it's offenses, you could potentially run E-Belt, also to bluff the Choice Band, but its unnecessary.

Gardevoir should most certainly carry a Life Orb, as it is relatively bulky and finds little use from a Sash. On top of that, it's gargantuan Special Attack can be further abused. You should also run Timid with Max Speed to beat CB Sawk, which currently blows through your team bar Alomomola. I also suggest running Destiny Bond over Energy Ball, as Energy Ball offers you very little coverage, while D-Bond can help you take down an opponent before you die. Another option might be Thunderbolt over Signal Beam to beat Mandibuzz, but it's niche. Trace is also far superior to Synchronize, as you can outspeed Ludicolo under rain, or absorb Seismitoad's hydro pumps for your team.

Waterfall over Scald or Aqua Jet, as this means you won't be setup fodder. You might be able to get a burn, but Scald does absolutely nothing. Waterfall at least will break more offensive pokemon's substitutes. You also should run 152 Special Defense to live LO Charizard's HP Grass, and pull off a wish/waterfall/toxic.

Offensive Support Skuntank over Liepard. Skuntank firstly helps you pursuit trap pesky psychic types such as musharna and jynx, whom you have a hard time dealing with otherwise. It also can Remove Toxic Spikes, something that makes you primary wall useless, and puts unwanted pressure on your offensive pokemon. As a whole, Skuntanks ability to offer Support in the form of Priority, Pursuit, and removal of T-Spikes makes it far more viable in this position.

Togetic just loses too much momentum, but I can't think of a suitable replacement. You could potentially run SubBulkUp Braviary over it, but I feel like it's changing the feel of the team to a more offensive style, so it isnt necessary.

EDIT: noobcubed COME AT ME SO PRO NINJA SKILLZ ON A MILLION LEGGO SWAG.

Sets:

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt / Signal Beam
- Destiny Bond

Golurk @ Leftovers / Expert Belt
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 180 Spd / 252 Atk / 76 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Drain Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Stealth Rock

Skuntank @ Lum Berry / Black Sludge / Dread Plate / Dark Gem
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 80 Spd / 252 Atk / 176 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 152 SDef / 252 Def / 104 HP
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Last edited:
I knew this was coming! NU was may favourite 5th gen tier (apart from gen V doubles, loved that too), and I'll rate in a bit, promise, but right now I have a few things to think about.

But for now, initial observations:

You seem pretty paranoid about Shell Smash users. I don't know why: Liepard is already the perfect solution, as it can switch in on an obvious Smash, and make the Pokemon useless by locking them onto that move; in addition, it's just fast enough to Encore Adamant (but not Jolly) Carracosta onto a SS before it can hit you with Aqua Jet.

Gardevoir shouldn't be running a sash, especially not with that special defense investment as it is largely redundant. I'd say use Jynx instead, but I don't want to just suggest generic changes, and Gardevoir has its benefits, such as actually being able to take a hit, and being a good weather counter thanks to Trace copying Swift Swim and Chlorophyll.

Red Card Liepard is just bad - why would you want to let an opponent switch out for free when you've already crippled it with Encore/Taunt? Play around with different options on Liepard too, it has a lot to play with.

Sawk should be running Mold Breaker. You can OHKO Probopass and Custap Golem and 2HKO Weezing and Marvel Scale Dragonair with it, which you couldn't otherwise.

I like the use of Togetic, although Miltank could fulfil a similar purpose while having more offensive presence, a great choice of abilities and a lack of SR weakness.

EDIT: Fuck this Brawlfest has ninja'd me. Is that guy ever offline?

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Your really paranoid about shell smash, yet +2 timid gorebyss still outspeeeds Sawk...
But the team looks like you are trying not to lose and hope sawk can pull out a cc sweep rather than actually winning. Especially because you have the first three pokes have no offensive prowess whatsoever, which is especially a problem if its not a stall oriented team.
I'd say get rid of togekiss pi tic and liepard. Togetic stinks and that liepard, while being an annoyance, seems like a waste of a slot. I know status is annoying, but this team really doesnt need a member dedicated to preventing status (toxic isn't that prevalent, and it takes awhile to rack up damage with leftovers and switching anyways), where a offensive or pivot poke would be preferred. If you really want a heal beller, pivot musharna with heal bell, moonlight, psychic and baton pass would work. Even though the set also invest in physical defense, it can take most special hits just fine. If you dont care about status, remove heal bell with thunder wave for teammate support.
The addition of musharna will make you ghost and dark weaker, but ghost arent common besides haunter and misdreavus, and dark by skuntank so it's not that bad.
Your team could use another win condition, so I think that the almighty dragon dance scraggy (honestly all 3 abilities work but probably shed skin>moxie>intimidate) could give you an interesting option based off your team. a +1 boost would outspeed all the 95 base speed pokes, which is great giving your relatively slow team. Also, f Mandibuzz without bb. For a more reliable poke (replace musharna heal bell with twave) would be swellow, as this poke can dangerous defeat teams, avoid paralysis and provide priority.
Sawk scarfed is still too slow imo. While it is a surprise factor that may be worth keeping onto, I'd put a faster scarfer, like Primeape, who could function the same as sawk with u-turn, tauros to outspeed the 95 speed tier mark (and my favorite scarfer in tier) or electabuzz, who could provide momentum while giving you an answer to ss pokes and charizard (people hate electabuzz but idgaf).
togetic-->Musharna
liepard-->Scraggy/Swellow
Sawk--> Sawk(at least have mold breaker), electabuzz>primeape>tauros
alomomola can have scald, waterfall is weak as shit anyways. Can keep it max defensive or change ev spread, probably prefer max d
Gardevoir should have psychic, tbolt, destiny bond+1 other move (focus blast is overrated on it, probably use signal beam). With musharna and alomomola on team, dont have to worry about outspeeding sawk and could honestly use modest nature as you're not outspeeding anything that important

Ill let you know how team works

Hey guys, thank you for all the advices :)

I've tried out the four sets suggested by Brawl and I've also tried out the Pivot Musharna.

For what concerne Gardevoir, I'm feeling that her new set is very good: my only problem is that I wasn't very good at predicting kills and Destiny Bonded Pokemon, so I've decided to keep my old movepool, combined with the EV's, Nature and Life Orb suggested by Brawly.

Golurk has gone back to my original set with a little change in the EV's spread, and I have to admit it works pretty well (I've been shot down by a Foul Play Liepard, but that was totally my fault, I didn't predict that).

For Alomomola the change was only a matter of a single move: I didn't change EV's spread, 'cause I wouldn't try to wall a Charizard with Alomomola, so I don't require Sp.Def. as much as Physical one.

Now, for the two main changes... I have to say they both don't work for me :(

Skuntank is too slow, lots of time I didn't taunt quick enough and the opponent set the Rock against me. Besides I'm totally uncapable of predicting: 70-80% of the time I've used Pursuit, the opponent stayed in; same goes for Sucker Punch (two opponents easily put out the Sub and then set up).

Musharna, I don't know why... Simply doesn't tank a thing comparing to Togetic. Really, I was quite shocked: I tought I've put the wrong EV's on her, but I didn't. Togetic tanks better, guess why. Besides, I don't get why Baton Pass on her: since I don't carry any "pumping" moves like CM, why should I have that move?

For now, I'm trying out this pokemon

Caturne @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

Since I think that Cacturne can be useful for:

1) Switching out on water Pokemon, and Sucker Punch/Seed Bomb on their face.
2) Deal with Ghost and Psychic, for which I don't have too much counters.

Since now it's working quite good, but from fight to fight it's different: sometimes I've managed to get a set up and kill two-three pokemon (particularly in the late phases of battles), some other times I've been totally annihilated "thanks" to Cacturne awful Def and SpD stats. So I have kinda of mixed feelings about it: what do you think about it, guys?

I was also thinking of adding a good spinner: I've tried out Eviolite Wartortle, but honestly... I don't know, I think I'm not too able in using Supporters (sigh). Fact is my poor Tortle died easily like every time, and sometimes it didn't even succeed in Spin the Rocks/Spikes away ^^' Have you got some suggestions for a Rapid Spin Pokemon? Or some suggestions about how to use it well?

P.s. (for Shuckleking): Gorebyss outspeed Sawk only in Rain, thank to Swift Swim. If it's not raining, I'm faster ;)

Fedoro
Just to defend ShuckleKing, Mush needs baton pass because Pursuit is 40 base power rather than 80 on that switch. Its also like a VoltSwitch/U-Turn in which you gain momentum by switching after the opponent! It really is necessary for "PIVOT" musharna to carry, and really makes it special.

If you want to run that Offensive Cacturne..You should honestly try SubSD w/Dark Gem..It's just such a fun set to use!~Basically set up a sub in Alomomola/Wartortle's face and watch them cry.

Cacturne @ Dark Gem
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Btw the change in Alomomola's EV Spread doesn't make it any less able to wall physical attackers. Infact, there isn't a single notable physical attacker which nets 2HKO -> OHKO / 3HKO -> 2HKO after the EV spread change. The reason Im changing it is so you don't lose alomomola to something stupid like HP Grass Zard.

Rain might be an issue which is a good point that Shuckleking87 brought up, maybe Primeape is the right choice for a scarfer, to outspeed regardless..s

Rain is not an issue, just change Gardevoir's ability to Trace and she becomes perfect for revenge-killing rain sweepers.

Brawlfest, I love that Cacturne set but my issue is there is a grand total of three Pokemon in the metagame against which you can set up a sub - Alomomola, Musharna (as long as it doesn't have Signal Beam), and Wartortle. (I guess choice-locked stuff but your opponent will be very cautious about locking himself onto water- or psychic-type attacks when he sees Cacturne in team preview.) If your opponent doesn't have any of these then it's kind of less effective.

Rain is not an issue, just change Gardevoir's ability to Trace and she becomes perfect for revenge-killing rain sweepers.

Brawlfest, I love that Cacturne set but my issue is there is a grand total of three Pokemon in the metagame against which you can set up a sub - Alomomola, Musharna (as long as it doesn't have Signal Beam), and Wartortle. (I guess choice-locked stuff but your opponent will be very cautious about locking himself onto water- or psychic-type attacks when he sees Cacturne in team preview.) If your opponent doesn't have any of these then it's kind of less effective.
Agreed about gardevoir I suggested trace but I forgot about it in the last post :\, as for the cacturne issue, you really only have sub to predict status. if you don't have it burns and stuff really cripple it, its absolutely necessary to Cacturne's success.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
P.s. (for Shuckleking): Gorebyss outspeed Sawk only in Rain, thank to Swift Swim. If it's not raining, I'm faster ;)
Uhh js but

Sawk - Max Speed Jolly = 295 x 1.5 = 442

Gorebyss - Max Speed Timid = 223 x 2 = 446

Timid Gorebyss outspeeds Sawk after a Shell Smash unless it runs Modest which it really shouldn't. I definitely suggest you use something else over Sawk; Scarfers such as Jynx, Electabuzz, Rotom-S or Rotom-F, etc. all work fine.

Also if you change your Alomomola to the spread that Brawlfest suggested you're only losing about ~7% bulk on the physical side which honestly doesn't really matter. And Alomomola isn't actually meant to "wall" Charizard either, it's supposed to pivot into an attack, scout it out, and respond appropriately; the SpD EVs really help it do that.

If you want a Liepard set that's really useful, I highly suggest you try out Pivot Liepard. This set can revenge kill things with Sucker Punch, disrupt with Prankster Encore, trap annoying Psychic- and Ghost-types with Pursuit (which, btw, Jynx and Haunter look like real dicks to your team), and scout out with U-turn. This is so much more consistently useful than Red Card and its utility is insane especially for a team like yours.

Dark-types such as Skuntank and Mandibuzz are really annoying as well, so I would replace Togetic with something like Probopass which can easily beat them, as well as provide a decent resist to Flying-type moves which your team currently lacks. Probopass can also serve as the Stealth Rocker of your team which frees up space on your Golurk.

Sawk --> Jynx, Electabuzz, Rotom, etc.

Alomomola: EV spread --> 104 HP / 252 Def / 152 SDef

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Encore
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Probopass @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SAtk / 200 SDef
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock / Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Toxic
- Volt Switch

Last edited:
Hey guys, thank you for all the advices, but unfortunately I have to say I'm f**king tired of NU.

I don't fu**ing know why I'm totally unable of pulling up a decent fight: everytime I win, I win by luck or 'cause I'm battling a total noob; everytime I'm up against a valuable player, I f**king end up to lose or to get totally predicted and countered! It's like every team in this Tier has some useful weapon against mine, as long as they're decent teams.

So I think I'l stop. I'm starting to offend people during fights 'cause this tier is literally pissing me off. F**k NU and long live the other three tiers (which are waaaaaaaaaay more balanced and offer more funplay).

Hey guys, thank you for all the advices, but unfortunately I have to say I'm f**king tired of NU.

I don't fu**ing know why I'm totally unable of pulling up a decent fight: everytime I win, I win by luck or 'cause I'm battling a total noob; everytime I'm up against a valuable player, I f**king end up to lose or to get totally predicted and countered! It's like every team in this Tier has some useful weapon against mine, as long as they're decent teams.

So I think I'l stop. I'm starting to offend people during fights 'cause this tier is literally pissing me off. F**k NU and long live the other three tiers (which are waaaaaaaaaay more balanced and offer more funplay).
ew.
#nu4lyfe

Fedoro im jokin...

Last edited:
Brawl, I don't get your post: I'm not offending you at all, I'm only saying I'm tired of this tier which is too wide and unpredicatable. Why do you have to say "ew"? o.O

Fedoro, I think a part of the problem with NU for new players is that there is a whole bunch of Pokemon listed as NU which have no business being used in the tier (nobody is going to be using Pidgeot any time soon), which makes the tier seem a lot more unpredictable than it truly is.

Still less unpredictable than the 6th Gen metas, which haven't settled down and are being shaken up again now with PokeBank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)