1st RU team: advices and suggestions ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's me again, this time in the RU tier! I think battles here are even harder than UU: there, at least, after some losses I've started to win - or set up a good fight!; here I'm currently 1-4, with 4 total collapses and 1 "lastpokemon" won. The problem is that I think I made a decent team, but its efficiency isn't what I expected. So I'm asking for advices and suggestions, PLEASE! :(

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

My main problem with Magmortar is that, apart from his stabbed move, he doesn't do as much as I expected with the other moves: but its SpA is huge (349!), so why? The Scarf gave him quite a speed (437), so he's basically sure to move first.

Drapion @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic
- Rest
- Poison Jab

Drapion should set Toxic Spikes up, then restore his health with the Rest/Chesto combo. Toxic is meant to be used on annoying pokemon, expecially the phsyical attackers (seeing his HP and Def EV's spread); Poison Jab will be useful mainly against Taunters.

Rhydon @ Choice Band
Ability: Rocky Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Double-Edge

I kinda like Rhydon, which can 2HKO almost anything with his Max Attack and his Choice Band: the downside its the Speed, but there's nothing I can do about it. Also, good variation in the moveset.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regnerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Slack Off
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Another great doubt. Sure Slowbro works well, mainly 'cause of awesome Regenerator, but... Slack Off is really necessary? And most of all: Foul Play is good, or it's better a Stabbed Water move like Scald?

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Rocky Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Double-Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide
- Fire Fang

My main problem with Aerodactyl is: is he really necessary? I mean, I already have a Rock Pokemon - even if, to be honest, Aerodactyl is really useful against Fight-types. But again: should I keep him or trying for a Hazarder?

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

I really like Clefable, but even with a good (IMO, of course) EV's spread she still frail in physical Defense: should I change some moves? Should I change her to Uxie, or another Mix wall? Help me! :P

In all my time I don't think I've ever seen such a self-doubting RMT as yours! Do not fear, there is no shame in losing to people who have been battling for years.

RU isn't my strong suit but I have a few suggestions.

The first thing I notice about this team is a lack of Stealth Rock. This is always the first thing I put on my teams, because it is imperative to have and because I can often forget about it, but it is no stretch to say that Stealth Rock is the most powerful move in the game and with its wide distribution it is never that difficult to fit on a team.

Of the Pokemon here, Aerodactyl and Clefable get Stealth Rock. Clefable can't really spare a moveslot for it, but Aerodactyl can run it fine, and with his massive 130 Speed he is normally going to get it set up. Here is a suggested set for him:

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Taunt

This is pretty cool, Aerodactyl can be a good lead. With 130 speed he is getting Stealth Rock up almost every match, and he can even stop the opponent doing so with Taunt (since you will find that is what your opponents try to do most of the time).

Magmortar is a nice Scarf user, but I feel his job can be done better by Emboar, who does more or less the same thing but isn't weak to Stealth Rock. he can also replicate the effects of Magmortar's Vital Spirit by running Sleep Talk (and many do, since there are loads of sleeping moves in RU, they are used by Tangrowth, Lilligant, Amoonguss, Smeargle, Roselia and Jynx among others). This kind of set seems fine:

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Flare Blitz
Superpower
Wild Charge
Sleep Talk

Drapion isn't a very good set - he is totally walled by Steel-types. Steelix will crush him with Earthquake, Ferroseed will lay hazards in front of it all day long, and Klingklang will set up and threaten to sweep. In addition Chesto Rest is a really poor strategy since it only works once and you lose Leftovers. You have Clefable to heal it anyway. Toxic and T Spikes also seems inefficient

Suggested set:

Drapion @ Leftovers
Poison Jab
Toxic Spikes
Crunch/Pursuit
Taunt

Having a second STAB move is always useful, and the choice between Crunch and Pursuit is up to you. Taunt is vital to stop Drapion being set-up bait; it is also useful with Toxic Spikes as a hazard lead, but not as effective as on Aerodcatyl due to his speed.

Slowking is fine, although Scald is probably more helpful since Foul Play is pretty situational, and it allows you to hurt the Ground-types you can't paralyse. I like the idea of Thunder Wave actually; it really allows Rhydon to do its job.

Hope those were some helpful ideas, and I hope I didn't change too much. Good luck with your team!

PS I'm more knowledgable about NU so if the trend continues I'll be able to help more on your next RMT!

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, so at first glance this looks like a pretty decent RU team in terms of things you have chosen, however many of the movesets have major flaws. The first thing I would like to suggest is a switch to your Slowking set which is just really sub-optimal on one of the best pokemon in the tier, you don't need Protect and their are way better choices than Foul Play on King. Your EVs are also not well distributed, as a bulky pivot, Slowking wants to be able to tank hits on both sides, I recommend the following set:

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 16 Spd / 232 HP / 144 Def / 116 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Fire Blast
- Toxic / Thunder Wave

This is standard defensive Slowking with some added speed creep for Escavalier cause nothing on your team likes to switch into Escavalier. Toxic allows you to win 1 v 1 vs other Slowking, while scald gives you a chance of beating physical attackers that you probably shouldn't. Slack off could be replaced with psyshock if you feel it is unnecessary, but foul play isn't that great on a mon without dark STAB that can utilize a base 110 SpA. Also heads up for future use, even with foul play you should run minus attack nature as you aren't utilizing your own attack, and 0 attack IVs and a negative nature minimize confusion damage and damage from foul play.

My next problem is a small nitpick, Rhydon is actually fast enough to run an effective Choice Band set, you just are running no Speed EVs and without eviolite putting all those EVs in HP is a huge waste, as its SpD will still be bad. One speed tier to aim for on slower offensive mons in RU is min speed Lanturn, which many other things aim for, and Rhydon is capable of reaching and surpassing.

Rhydon @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Double-Edge

This outspeeds min speed Lanturn by 2 points, enough for Lanturn and other things that speed creep on min Lanturn. You will generally find this spread more helpful as you will take less hits to make up for the minuscule loss of bulk.

Your Drapion set is a little weird if you ask me, as even though its defense is higher than its special defense, it has much better specially defensive typing, your set is also running some sub optimal moves, and crunch is a way better stab.

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spd
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Whirlwind
- Toxic Spikes

The speed is for Omastar and Crawdaunt to taunt them before they set up. T-spikes is there for obvious reasons, while taunt prevents slower hazard setters from setting up on you, and if a faster set up sweeper sets up on you, you can whirlwind them out.

Aerodactyl fits decently well on your team, as it gives you a ground immunity that your team really needs, but I think it would be good for you to put Stealth Rock somewhere on the set, and fix the EV spread so you can switch into rocks more times (you want an odd HP stat on SR weak mons). I suggest:

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Ground + Rock has really good coverage, Stealth Rock is necessary on almost all teams, and roost can let you heal up on an opponent that can't really touch you or you can roost on a predicted sucker punch.

Now I have two Pokemon change suggestions, first scarf Magmortar is pretty bad, it is SR weak and is forced to do a lot of switching cause it is choice locked, Rotom-C is the superior Choice Scarf user almost 100% of the time, and seeing as your team has a crippling ground weakness, it could work well here.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

The other Pokemon that I don't really see doing much for your team is Clefable, and right now your team lacks a real "win condition" or something that you can use to sweep the opponent easily after all of their Pokemon have been eliminated. Sub CM Uxie fits in really well on your team because you are using Toxic spikes, have Slowking to (now) lure in an defeat Escavalier, and Slowking can toxic stuff too, meaning the opp will be worn down while you set up.

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 Spd / 188 SAtk / 96 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

The Speed is for Uxie, the bulk helps against Moltres but yeah, this seems like a good win condition for your team.

I know this was a lot of changes to make to your team, but I think it had all of the pieces, you just weren't putting them in the right place. This is a resource that will give you a better idea for movesets in the future, most of the sets I posted were variations on the suggested sets here, and once you gain some experience you'll learn to make the appropriate changes to a set to fit your team.

Good Luck and enjoy your RU stay!

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello.
You already posted a RMT lately. I'm locking this, read the rules.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)