1v1 Resources Thread

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lapras for C rank

Lapras definitely deserves its place in the 1v1 tier. Why does it deserve to be in the viability ranking ? Lapras is one of the few bulky pokémons to learn Perish Song move, which is a really dangerous move on slow bulky pokémons such as Azumarill and Meloetta Trick Room. I used to play Lapras, who is even usefull in high ladd sometimes, let's have a look on its set.

Lapras @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Perish Song
- Dive
- Protect
- Sing

Moves

Perish Song is essential for Lapras set. Like every Perish Song users, it is based on the speed stat of Lapras, which is normally low. Lapras has enough bulk to handle offensive attacks. It allows Lapras to be at least 2HKOed, which is great on a Perish Song user.

Lapras and Azumarill actually share the same Dive strategy. It allows Lapras to win an additional turn, which is really important after using Perish Song, because using Dive is almost win for the Lapras Perish Song thanks to its third move; Protect.

Protect is essential with Dive and make a great combinaison. With these two moves, Lapras is actually able to win 3 turns, which is the number of the Perish Song effect. Protect allows Lapras to be unaffected from any moves during one turn.

Sing is the main difference between Lapras and Azumarill. Indeed, if Lapras is against a pokémon that actually can defeat it, Sing will allow Lapras to win some extra turns.

Set Details

Thanks to its natural bulk, maximizing HP and Defense Stat is the most important thing to increase Lapras bulk. Indeed, there is more physical offense in the 1v1 viability ranking than special offense, that's why its defense stat has to be increased. Relaxed nature allows Lapras to have a bonus in its defense stat and to have a lower speed, which is really important with the perish song set.

Sitrus Berry is a quite important item for a Perish Song user. Indeed Lapras will almost never be OHKOed but it may lose more than 50% HP. That's why Sitrus Berry is a good item on it, it allows Lapras to stay alive more than 2 additional turns, which is normally enough to set Perish song + Dive.
Shell Armor is a decent ability which allows Lapras to not be surprised by critical hits.

Other Options

Wide Lens is a good other option on this set. Indeed, when Lapras is against a counter, Sing is its only way to survive and to have a chance to win the game. Wide Lens allows Lapras to have a better accuracy on Sing, which can be used on every single Pokémons except ghost types.

Like the other Perish Song users, Substitute can also be used against Dive or even Sing. It will allow Lapras to win a turn against Sub, Dragon Dance and Sword Dance. It is also really useful against stall Pokémons with toxic.

Check and Counters

• Special Hyper Offense: Mega Alakazam is a counter to Perish Song Lapras because even with the Sitrus Berry, it will not enough to not be 2HKOed. Specs users such as Keldeo also counters Lapras
  • Fighting and Rock Type: The main difference between Azumarill, Meloetta and Lapras is the weakness to Fighting and Rock type. Indeed, Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Cloyster, Rhyperior and even Crustle could easily handle Lapras.
  • Taunt: Is the worst Perish Song counter. Whimsicott, Banette, Gardevoir and Talonflame will have a lot of fun again Lapras, who will not able to do anything.
  • Spore / Sleep Power: Azumarill has access to Sap Sipper, which allows it to be immune to grass type, could counter Breloom / Smeargle Spore and Mega Venusaur / Tangrowth Sleep Power. Lapras hasn't this chance unfortunately.

In conclusion, Lapras is a good Perish Song user, it couldn't handle high viability ranked Pokémons but it is still really great to play with this Pokémon. It has a decent bulk and a really interesting movepool, I've also tested DDancer + WP but that wasn't that great. However, Lapras huge problem is its double type which makes it really weak to a lot of types that are really common in the 1v1 tier, that's why Lapras couldn't get more than a C rank.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Substitute
- Dive

A ~~~> S Rank

It beats almost any pokemon faster than it. It looks like way too much of a troll pokémon.

It's way too good on the ladder imo. Also it's used way too much imo.

Don't get me wrong it's weak in tours.

Replays :
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-244993011
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-244994400
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-244994812
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-244997049
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-244998698

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Relaxed Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Substitute
- Dive

A ~~~> S Rank

It beats almost any pokemon faster than it. It looks like way too much of a troll pokémon.

Replays :
If its weak against good teams I don't think that makes it S. Don't get me wrong, I think it is overcentralizing cancer that should be banned, but most good teams are prepared for it in some way, and it isn't really good. It's kinda like Shedinja in BH--you must run a counter to it or you will lose, but it isn't good enough to be S Rank. Being a troll Pokemon is also not a good argument. Aron is a troll Pokemon and beats some stuff in the 1v1 metagame, but that doesn't make it good

Reisen

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Relaxed Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Substitute
- Dive

A ~~~> S Rank

Replays :

Hello ninjadieter ,

I don't think that Azumarill should be S rank because the best perish song user is already classified in S rank; Meloetta.

Azumarill isn't as great as Meloetta as a Perish Song user, because it hasn't access to Wonder and Trick Room. Moreover, Azumarill only has a decent HP stat, but it coudn't stand against Special Offense like Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice even with Substitute, instead of Meloetta.

Hello ninjadieter ,

I don't think that Azumarill should be S rank because the best perish song user is already classified in S rank; Meloetta.

Azumarill isn't as great as Meloetta as a Perish Song user, because it hasn't access to Wonder and Trick Room. Moreover, Azumarill only has a decent HP stat, but it coudn't stand against Special Offense like Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice even with Substitute, instead of Meloetta.
Don't get me wrong, Azumarill is not S rank worthy imo. But it is the best and most common perish song user.

The reason why it is used more than Meloetta( As a Perish song user) is because its typing which gives it agree pass from the outrage spam that this meta loves. Azu is really slow with 50 base speed compared to meloetta's 90, i know that meloetta gets Trick Room but thats just a extra turn you have to waiste. Meloetta isn't S rank because it's the best perish song user, It's because Melo is unpredictable and the best Specs Hyper Beam Spammer. But even being the best perish song user doesn't make Azu S rank worthy.

If its weak against good teams I don't think that makes it S. Don't get me wrong, I think it is overcentralizing cancer that should be banned, but most good teams are prepared for it in some way, and it isn't really good. It's kinda like Shedinja in BH--you must run a counter to it or you will lose, but it isn't good enough to be S Rank. Being a troll Pokemon is also not a good argument. Aron is a troll Pokemon and beats some stuff in the 1v1 metagame, but that doesn't make it good
You can't just say "well gee, it does beat things but let's disregard that and just say it isn't good!" - if it beats things, it's good, period. The question here is: just how good is it? Those replays clearly show how completely helpless several pokemon are against PS Azumarill, and that should be definitely kept into account. In my opinion, as cheap and cancerous it may be, Azumarill is a threat that deserves S rank.

Porygon2 For S Rank

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam

I was shocked when I saw this was B ranked. I could of just vouched for this to be at least A ranked but I know very well this is not only one of the best but in my opinion the best pokemon in 1v1. I've been ranked multiple times at #1 on 1v1 with several alts and currently have over 84 gxe in 1v1 in over 100 battles which is crazy for essentially a prediction tier and this is by far my most used pokemon. Most people don't realize how viable this pokemon is in 1v1 or don't know how to use poygon2 to its best capabilities. The strategy is annoying for your opponents but it works against so much in this tier.

Moves

Thunder Wave: This is what makes Porygon2 so great. Toxic is so much inferior to T-wave and I'll explain why. Thunder Wave allows Porygon2 to only tank one hit and then it gains complete control and momentum by being able to para stall and outspeed everything. You just recover when you get to low hp and attack once you know you can tank another hit. It's a fail proof system. Just with this move alone instead of Toxic, it allows Porygon to beat Kyurem-B, both Charizards (Yes it can even tank an overheat in the sun, and stall it out with recover unless it gets flinch by air slash turn 1), Mega Salamence, Dragonite (even with a lum berry), Greninja, Mega Aggron, Mega Altaria, Victini and and it gives you a chance to beat things like Mega Gyarados and even fighting types or Mega Mawile if you get lucky. So all those pokemon with "S" rank and very little weaknesses get destroyed by this pokemon unless its running substitute and even then Porygon2 can possibly tank 2 hits.

Recover: This is a no brainer move, pair this with thunder wave and it can't die unless it gets taunted or toxic. This pokemon isn't meant to go up against stall though so the odds of that are unlikely. You'll be using this move the most to stall for para hax so best to play it safe and recover whenever you feel you're in range or crit range.

Tri Attack: Main Stab Attack move and also has a good chance of hax if you get taunted, honestly a lucky freeze or para from this move has saved me a few times. You can replace this with Thunderbolt if you need a check to Mega Gyarados.

Ice Beam: This one is important as it allows Porygon to easily beat ground types such as Garchomp, Landorus, Golem after breaking its weakness policy and Rhyperior since they obviously can't get paralyzed. It also serves as a decent move to attack things like ghost types or quad resist to normal attacks like Aggron. HP Fire is another option in this slot if you need a check to Mega Mawile and Aegislash.

Set Details

Maximize Defense and HP because most of the tier run offensive physical pokemon, Kyurem-B and the Charizards being by far the most common pokemon in the tier. Also lives a Giga Impact from Mega Salamence and enough HP + Spd to live an Overheat from Char Y in the sun.

Team Options

I listed a lot of the pokemon this thing counters but believe me it can counter more, almost everything that isn't stall or hyper specially offensive. Do not use this against stall, it won't win. Using a specially defensive mon on your team or one with Perish Song gives Porygon2 great team synergy. I use Meloetta because it has both. Using an offensive pokemon is important so you can counter taunt, I use Talonflame to counter my weakness to fighting types, Mega Mawile and gives me priority. Terrakion is a problem but its not that common.

Conclusion

There it is, after playing hundreds of games in 1v1 and dominating with Porygon2 I decided to finally get more people to use this highly underrated pokemon. Honestly if more people used this, Kyurem-B wouldn't be so ridiculously overused. Definitely deserves to be at least A ranked, you can't go wrong using this on your team.

Last edited:

Reisen

Hello Zanders ,

To be honest with you, I really don't agree with the idea to have p2 in S rank just because it has many weaknesses even if you play it stall or offensive.

A lot of pokémons between A and B rank from the 1v1 viability ranking can handle P2, such as Smeargle, Ferrothorn, Venusaur, Steel Types, Special Hyper Offense and great stallers such as Chansey and Deoxys Defense with their access to Toxic / Recover, Soft boiled and Seismic Toss.

Porygon 2 has to be A rank for sure, and Chansey S rank, you could see that here

Reactions: DoW
I dont buy that argument though, even the pokemon ranked S don't counter everything or most of what is ranked. Kyurem-B loses to fighting bulky fighting types, can lose to stall, loses to steel types, loses to fast fairies. Meloetta loses to a lot of offensive pokemon, Char Y can lose to stall and specially defensive pokemon and certain fire types. Even Mega Salamence, the most broken mega loses to certain rock types, can lose to stall, can lose to greninja, can lose to offensive fairies. All those pokemon ranked above P2 have a good amount of weaknesses and it's mainly because there's not 1 pokemon that can counter literally everything. The thing with P2 is that it counters most teams because most don't use smeargle or ferrothorn almost all of them use Kyurem-B, Charizard, Salamence, Gyarados, Dragonite and all of which can be countered with just 1 pokemon on your team. The only problem I've seen from P2 is that no one uses it like the set above or at all but it pressures anything except stall pokemon, it can even win sometimes against offensive special pokemon. It doesn't need to counter every pokemon in existence, as long as it counters the biggest and hardest hitting threats on most teams it makes it S rank imo.

DEG

the night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thank you for participating in the Chansey and P2 debate. I have decided to move chansey to S rank and P2 to A rank unless someone proves me wrong.

Now debating:
Aegislash A~~>B

What do you think about aegislash status in the 1v1 meta, does it deserves to be ranked high even though the omnipresence of threats such as both Zards, Meloetta and to an extent mega mawile and gyarados mega? Aegislash got it niche via king's shield 50/50 against physical attackers and its possibily of running effectively Weakness Policy+attack+priority. Discuss.

Reactions: DoW

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Thank you for participating in the Chansey and P2 debate. I have decided to move chansey to S rank and P2 to A rank unless someone proves me wrong.

Now debating:
Aegislash A~~>B

What do you think about aegislash status in the 1v1 meta, does it deserves to be ranked high even though the omnipresence of threats such as both Zards, Meloetta and to an extent mega mawile and gyarados mega? Aegislash got it niche via king's shield 50/50 against physical attackers and its possibily of running effectively Weakness Policy+attack+priority. Discuss.
Jeez S-rank is getting huge, can we create sub divisions like S- and S+, or all those mons in that rank are equal?

DEG

the night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Jeez S-rank is getting huge, can we create sub divisions like S- and S+, or all those mons in that rank are equal?
It's size doesn't matter, S ranked Pokemon literally influence the metagame. You can't make a team without thinking of these Pokemon. But yea I might create sub ranks for S.

I think Luxray deserves B or C rank, it entirely counters Kyurem-Black, as well as typically defeating Mega Salamence and holding its own against many other mid-ranked pokemon. My set is Crunch, Wild Charge, Superpower, Ice Fang, @ Choice Band, Ability is Intimidate, 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Spe, Adamant Nature. Thanx!

Last edited:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I think Luxray deserves B or C rank, it entirely counters Kyurem-Black, as well as typically defeating Mega Salamence and holding its own against many other mid-ranked pokemon. My set is Crunch, Wild Charge, Superpower, Ice Fang, @ Choice Band, Ability is Intimidate, 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Spe, Adamant Nature. Thanx!
Bulky weakness policy Kyu-B still beats it, as does eq mega mence. Moreover, mons like Mega Mawile not only beat those two pokemon in the same circumstances (and more) but also threaten a huge variety of other pokemon, therefore outclassing luxray. It's a good set considering the pokemon however, and perhaps has a surprise factor as well. However being outclassed in this way means it doesn't have a niche and therefore cannot find any place higher than: D rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have a little presence in the 1v1 Metagame. These Pokemon can be used in an extremely specific use. These Pokemon rarely adapt with the metagame.

Bulky weakness policy Kyu-B still beats it, as does eq mega mence. Moreover, mons like Mega Mawile not only beat those two pokemon in the same circumstances (and more) but also threaten a huge variety of other pokemon, therefore outclassing luxray. It's a good set considering the pokemon however, and perhaps has a surprise factor as well. However being outclassed in this way means it doesn't have a niche and therefore cannot find any place higher than: D rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have a little presence in the 1v1 Metagame. These Pokemon can be used in an extremely specific use. These Pokemon rarely adapt with the metagame.
I've never seen the bulky Kyu-B set used before, although I haven't gotten over 1500 ELO recently, but I always KO scarfed Kyu-Bs (except if they land a crit), and Ice Fang does have a slightly better chance to cause a winning circumstance than moves without a secondary effect. You have a point about it being outclassed by Mega Mawile though, and it doesn't entirely escape its underlying Earthquake weakness when challenged by super offensive mons like Mega Salamence and Excadrill. I might be a little favorably biased based on how much I like Luxray.

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
I have just laddered with hoopa-U, and I can safely say the hype is for good reason. I finally remembered my smogon password, so I will actually be able to post a sprite soon yay! But onto hoopa. There are two very good sets, and many more usable sets. These sets were posted by Deg on the 1v1 ladder thread here, http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-1v1-3v3-team-preview.3496773/page-17 .

Perish song pls(Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Atk / 120 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Trick
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch/Ice Punch/Thunder Punch

This is from Deg's point of view, not as good as specs, but tbh it depends on the team. Hyperspace fury is the main move and it helps to beat meloetta, either perish song or not, as it hits through protect and ohkoes either way. With the choice band and evs it can survive a choice specs hyper beam and ohko back with hyperspace fury. Trick helps to cripple walls like Chansey and pory2, allowing hoopa to beat them. Gunk shot ohkoes any variant of azumarill, including max hp max defense as shown by this calc. As we all now everyone loves perish song, and this beats the main perish song abuser. The last slot is dedicated to coverage, depending on whether you want to beat Aggron, landorus, or try and beat gyarados, which it can beat if it predicts specs focus blast and doesn't mega.

140+ Atk Choice Band Hoopa Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Azumarill: 410-484 (101.4 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Now we have arguably the better set, as it does cover more of the threats in the meta, as long as you hit focus blast Lel.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 20 SpA / 120 SpD
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Trick
- Psyshock

This hoopa set also has 120 spdef, which allows it to live blast burn from char y in sun and hyper beam from Pory-z and meloetta, as long as pory is scarfed not specs. Focus blast kills Kyurem-black with this investment, and bulks an outrage with the def evs, only just though Lel. Dark pulse is stab and with specs and modest plus a few evs hits Rly hard. Psyshock scores a solid 2hko on Zard-y and is also stab. With trick and psyshock it can bypass chansey, and with trick and dark pulse/focus blast it can also beat pory2. All in all hoopa-u is a very good poke in 1v1, and I can't wait to use it more!! It loses to basiacally only charizard-X and mega gyarados, and a few other tailored cteam sets which only beat hoopa and do shit against everything else, and those sets are uncommon and bad anyway. It also loses to crustle, either banded or shell smash.

Edit: I nominate hoopa for A rank as it beats many threats, but loses out to a few common threats rn such as gyarados and crustle. But it even koes Mawile with focus blast on the specs set, which is a testament to its power. However it's low physical bulk lets it down a lot, and holds it back from becoming S rank.

Last edited:
I'd like to suggest a possible C rank > to B rank for Manaphy.
Manaphy is a pokemon I see every so often, running a simple tail glow and calm mind scald ice beam set, notable doing some damage, but not a huge threat to all. Then, I went back and took a second look at what Manaphy had to offer.

Manaphy @ Chesto Berry/Kee Berry
Ability: Hydration
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Nature: Bold
- Tail Glow
- Acid Armor
- Rest
- Scald

This is the first set I made, notable for it's ability to bulk Atk pokemon and reply with a x2.4/x4 SpAtk hit. It easily takes down many of the huge threats to this metagame including Gyarados, Charizard-Mega-X, Kyurem-B, Chansey, and Mawile-Mega (Yes, Swords Dance included). However, Charizard-Mega-Y kept on solarbeaming me! ;_; so.... I came up with this set:

Manaphy @ Custap Berry
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Nature: Bold
- Rain Dance
- Acid Armor
- Rest
- Scald

Yes! I got rid of Tail Glow! Uh oh, no x4 SpAtk now, why did I do that :/ Because... now, until the last turn of Rain Dance, I can have my status automatically cured at the end of each turn! That means I can rest as much as I like. But wait, there's more! Coupled with Custap Berry, I can take a solarbeam hit from Charizard-Mega-Y, replace it's Sunny Day with Rain (making solarbeam a two turn move, yay!), get a priority Rest, and retaliate with stab + rain boosted scald!

Dangit, Manaphy isn't perfect :/ Manaphy fails pretty bad against taunt, choice+trick, and everything else a common tank fails to. Also, like I mentioned, special attacks + perish song users like meloetta can be quite annoying for Manaphy alone. It is also partially outclassed by slowbro, depending on the situation (slowbro is immune to taunt and trick, with oblivious and mega stone), but does carry only two only semi-common weaknesses, compared to slowbro's five weaknesses, as well as more recovery with hydration rain dance rest.

Now lets look back and look at the glory of Manaphy... but wait a sec, did Manaphy just counter the entire S rank other than Meleotta? YES! Manaphy definitely has potential to stop 99% of physical attackers, and retaliate with some good damage, as well as a whole lot more (ability to stall out and kill many other pokes too).

I really don't beleive Manaphy deserves to be down in C rank with the Aron, Shuckles, and Wobbufets, so please, for Manaphy's sake, let it shine it's new found potential.

Bonus: I recently ran into someone else's Manaphy set, and it did well to hit my team pretty hard, so if you like, take a look.

Manaphy @ Custap Berry
252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Modest
- Tail Glow
- Endure
- Scald
- Hyper Beam

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

For S Rank!

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Belly Drum
- Crunch
- Roost
- Power-Up Punch
- Rock Slide
- Facade
- Protect
- Counter
- Shadow Claw
- Thunder Punch
- Dynamic Punch
- Brick Break
- Bulldoze

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp

This is an example of a common Charizard-Mega-X set in 1v1. This Charizard-Mega-X has an important role using the 4 moves this set has.​
  • Dragon Dance for setting up, raising its Attack and Speed stats.
  • Outrage to pack a powerful punch on most of the Pokemon in this metagame mainly using its dragon STAB. With a whopping 120 power and STAB (like Flare Blitz), this move can OHKO a lot of other Pokemon that come against it. This move does cause the user to be confused after 2-3 outrage hits so be cautious of that. Pokemon resisted to this move (like steel and fairy types) leaves you able to use Flare Blitz which is pretty much just as good, but with different typing and effects.
  • Flare Blitz also packs a powerful hit on most of the Pokemon in the metagame. With a whopping 120 power and STAB (like outrage), this move can OHKO a lot of other Pokemon that come against it. Although this move has a 33% recoil based on the damage its done, Flare Blitz also has a 10% chance of burning your opponent's Pokemon. Also, if your Charizard-Mega-X somehow gets frozen in battle, this move thaws it making it continuously able to move. Pokemon resisted to this move (like water and dragon types) leaves you able to use Outrage which is pretty much just as good, but with different typing and effects.
  • Will-o-Wisp to burn opponents and making you have an easier chance of beating them especially through tough battles.
Although this one set is shown here, there are still many other Charizard-Mega-X sets to choose from and battle with.

Overall, Charizard-Mega-X is one of the few Pokemon that generally defines the 1v1 metagame. This Pokemon breaks many of the common Pokemon in 1v1 entirely with its possible moves and strategies.

Move Information
Charizard-Mega-X's moves are mainly based on physical offense. Moves like Outrage, Flare Blitz, and Earthquake work in many different ways to KO Pokemon. Charizard-Mega-X can also use set up moves to raise attack just to make the job of KOing Pokemon easier. Charizard-Mega-Xs also like to carry Will-o-Wisp just to make its physical rivals suffer with their attack being cut in half. Charizard-Mega-X has many other good moves that it can choose from to beat opponents.

Ability
Charizard-Mega-X's ability (Tough Claws) supports its attack, making a lot of Charizard-Mega-X's attacks even more powerful. With this ability, people would be saying "Who needs life orb?" because the power increase of the contact moves while having Tough Claws is equivalent to the power increase with life orb reaching 1.3x the normal damage. Unlike the life orb, the ability (Tough Claws) doesn't have a downside at all.

Stat Information
Charizard-Mega-X's statspead is very decent for the metagame reaching 78/130/111/130/85/100 with a total of 634 BST. The main stats for Charizard-Mega-X are usually Attack, Speed, and Defense in some cases. These decent stats are part of what makes Charizard-Mega-X so good in this metagame.

Checks and Counters

Kyurem-Black (Choice Scarf or Haban Berry): Kyurem-Black's attack is enough to OHKO Charizard-Mega-X when it has the chance to and when it does, literally no mercy is shown upon Charizard. For Kyurem-Black, it takes hope and luck that its Choice Banded and not Choice Scarfed or Haban Berried.

Salamence-Mega: Salamence-Mega's higher attack, defense, and speed are just enough to easily KO Charizard-Mega-X. There are some cases in which Charizard-Mega-X can survive against Salamence-Mega. For Salamence-Mega, run maximum bulk, Outrage, Will-o-Wisp, and/or Counter for the best.

Thunder Wave + Charm Chansey: Chansey with Thunder Wave and Charm usually follows a patten First, the Chansey uses Thunder Wave to decrease your chance of setting up, and then uses Charm to lower Charizard-Mega-X's attack to the point where Chansey would barely take any damage from Charizard's attacks. To prevent this, you can use Substitute or Belly Drum on your Charizard-Mega-X very early in battle.

Aggron-Mega: Aggron-Mega can tank Charizard's attacks like if it could pretend that it didn't take any damage. Usually, Aggron-Mega would carry moves that can easily KO Charizard like Head Smash, Counter, and Metal Burst. To try to prevent this, Will-o-Wisp the opposing Aggron and/or set up.

Bulky Ground types: Bulky ground type Pokemon have the access of KOing Charizard-Mega-X with a ground type move like Earthquake and then tank in Charizard's moves. To try to prevent this, Will-o-Wisp the opposing bulky ground type and set up your Charizard.

Other Bulky, Haban Berry, and Choice Scarf Dragon types: With Choice Scarf Haban Berry on Dragon type Pokemon's sides, Charizard-Mega-X might not be able to KO them all, and instead, its the other way around. To try prevent this, give Charizard-Mega-X some defense investment and Will-o-Wisp. Counter can do good against those too.

Other Counter/Metal Burst Pokemon: Counter/Metal Burst Pokemon are usually able to tank Charizard-Mega-X's physical attacks, especially during the times when you don't expect some of them to have counter/Metal Burst. To try to prevent this, try to set up and/or use Will-o-Wisp.
Other Options
Charizard-Mega-X has many things that it could do from its movepool. Some people carry moves like Counter, Roost, and even Power-Up punch. Moves like these are great for KOing opponents who don't expect Charizard-Mega-X to carry moves like these.

Good teammates
Charizard-Mega-X can easily go good with just about any other rank S Pokemon that are on the viability rankings. Especially those that are centralizing like Meloetta.

Advantages and Disadvantages

Advantages
High attack and defense with fairly high speed
Great Ability
Decent movepool
Capable of KOing almost any Pokemon on this metagame

Disadvantages
Weak against bulky Pokemon including Dragon types with haban berry
Weak to choice scarfed Pokemon
Whimsicott is sometimes able to beat Charizard-Mega-X with Leech Seed and Substitute.

Viability Ranking
Like I said at the very beginning, Charizard-Mega-X most definitely deserves S rank because its one of the few Pokemon strong and popular enough to define the 1v1 Metagame.

Last edited:

DEG

the night belongs to you

Hoopa-Unbound

What do you think about this beast's impact in the 1v1 meta?
What rank should it be and why?
Personal opinion I'd give it A rank due to it's ability of dismantling stall which is starting to raise in the 1v1 meta, also thanks to it's wide movepool and special defense it can easily check some S rank Pokemon if invested correctly such as Meloetta, Charizard Mega Y, Kyub.
Full reasoning can be found here.
Also please discuss the possible ranking of Hoopa, all discussion related to the beast should be done in the 1v1 discussion thread.

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
The main difference between Chansey and P2 is that Chansey can't deal with S rank Pokemons. Even if it has Counter, Mega Mawile has Sword Dance, Mega Salamence has Dragon Dance, same for Gyarados I mean, all the high viability ranked physical Pokemons have boosts moves. They can easily counter Chansey counter strategy.

P2 with download can deal with these Pokémons with a decent defensive stat, at least it would maybe have difficulties against Mega Mawile Sword Dancer, but Ice Beam P2 can deal with Salamence / Dragonite and Thunderbolt for Gyarados / Azu.

P2 is totally hybrid unlike Chansey who is pure staller.

That's untrue lyse. The immortal's chansey set can beat every single s rank mon bar meloetta depending on set, and also sub Mence. This is because it can Thunder wave them with 'priority' charm it can stall and then seismic toss to death.

Reactions: 1vI
Magnezone should be at least A rank. With sturdy+custap berry+endure, he can defeat kyurem-b (naive ones, which is common), mawile-mega (just t-bolt her twice), and even mega-gyarados (not bulky ones, and use thunder), etc.

Magnezone only lose to chansey, charizard-mega-x, and meloetta in the S-rank

Suggested set from me:
Magnezone @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Endure
- Hidden Power Ice / Thunder

Hidden Power Ice to defeat MegaMence, Thunder to defeat Mega-Gyarados (not the bulky ones), and sometimes extra power is needed ..

Some Calculation:
252+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Salamence: 352-416 (106.3 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252- SpD Mega Salamence: 272-324 (69 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Magnezone Thunder vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 314-372 (94.8 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 169-199 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Things it beat: mawile-mega, charizard mega Y, naive Kyurem-B, azumarill, whimsicott, greninja, and many more
Pokes that beat magnezone: bulky kyurem-B, chansey, charizard mega X, perish song meloetta, heatran, lopunny-mega, aegislash, smeargle, and faster sturdy or endure custap berry pokemon ..

That's my analysis for magnezone :)

*I'm new in this forum, so I'm sorry my post isnt well-arranged

Reisen

Hello OctopusHead

To be honest golem is definitely the best Sturdy Pokemon. The main problem with Magnezone is that it hasn't access to any priority moves, so it needs Custap Berry to outspeed in case of 2HKO.

Golem has access to Sucker Punch, which allows it to be played with Weakness Policy instead of Custap Berry. Moreover, Custap Berry hasn't the priority against Sucker Punch, I used to play against a lot of Magnezone with Golem and Sucker Punch makes the difference.

I really don't think that Magnezone should be A rank, its movepool is not really varied and it's really easy to predict Magnezone strategy with Custap / WP item + Sturdy ability.

About your buid, I don't think that Thunder is really needed. As you said, you need extra power but you are Sturdy + Custap Berry, you can't get OHKOed and you have the priority during the next turn, which means that extra power isn't that important in my opinion. It's maybe more useful to play with Substitute to win a turn in case of DD on Gyarados / Charizard for example.

Besides, it can't handle Golem, who is B rank at the moment.

The problems with golem is he cant do anything to mega mawile and mega gyarados, two of the common pokes in this metagame. Rock Blast (I assume you use it) also has a shaky accuracy, and one miss usually cost you game. Golem also lose to skill link abilities while all skill link moves is not effective against magnezone, except arm thrust who rarely used. Oh yea, golem also cant handle azumarill perish song ( unless you run speed - )

About my set, Thunder is needed to OHKO mega-gyarados, a feat that thunderbolt can never do. Mega-Gyarados wont use dd against magnezone, he can OHKO magnezone with earthquake.

Btw, thanks for your reply, Awu, and after I see it, I think now I agree Magnezone is B rank

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)