SM OU 2002: An Ash-Gren and M-Latios Team

What mon should I build around and showcase in my next RMT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Felixx

I'm back.
2002 by Anne-Marie
(I'm supporting her new album (Speak Your Mind)!)

Introduction:
Hello! I'm Felixx from the OU Community and today I present to you my offensively oriented Balance team that I have had good success with, it focuses on the idea of pairing Ash-Greninja with HP Fire M-Latios, an effective and potent offensive core, which is also the focus of my "Threats to OU Cores" thread for this week! I suggest you also take a look at that project after checking out this RMT, shameless plug lol. Anyways let's get into the team.

The Team:

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Latios-Mega @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Roost

Ash-Gren and M-Latios form an incredible offensive core, and as we know, Ash-Gren is a fantastic offensive mon by itself, being able to stack Spikes, and spam its specs-boosted attacks, ripping holes into defensive cores. It does have a few shortcomings however, such as being annoyed by certain defensive pivots, so I chose to pair it with HP Fire M-Latios (although I'll admit having Draco is nice for specific scenarios), which is able to switch into fat grasses such as AV Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth that are able to deal with Ash-Gren, while also being able to lure Steel-types like Magearna and Ferrothorn with EQ and HP Fire respectively. M-Latios also makes for a reliable answer to Pex, another mon that Ash-Gren struggles with. Long story short, M-Latios lures defensive answers to Ash-Gren and weakens them so that Ash-Gren can sweep.

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

I chose to run an offensive Tapu Bulu for this team, SD + Rockium Z, giving the team a good stall match-up annd being able to pressure Clef/Gliscor Balances while still having good natural bulk to check opposing Ash-Gren and Tapu Koko, and strengthening the rain match-up. The EV spread allows it to outspeed Ttar and some mons that creep Ttar such as 16 speed defensive Lando. Tapu Bulu's job is to break holes early game so that Ash-Gren and M-Latios can clean later in the match much more easily. I added Heatran to the squad to help with the Tornadus and Zapdos match-up and to get up rocks easily against pivots like opposing AV Magearna. Here I utilize the Cdumas spread which is able to outspeed defensive Landorus while retaining special bulk.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 22 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball

I added defensive Scarf Landorus and AV Magearna in the last slots, the two are able to cover a lot of the meta on their own, and both function as pivots with U-turn and Volt Switch respectively. Landorus provides speed control for the team, with the spread being fast enough to outspeed M-Zam, with the rest of the EVs put in HP and Defense so that it can hits from mons like Ttar and Zard X much more easily. Stone Edge allows it to check M-Pinsir effectively even without any attack EVs, while it has an emergency Defog to clear hazards. AV Magearna is just an all around good special sponge, checking threats such as Tapu Lele, M-Zam, Kyurem-B, Tapu Koko, you get the idea, the EV spread lets it live a +2 High Jump Kick from Hawlucha from full, which is a big threat to my team, and the negative speed EVs and Sassy Nature are to underspeed Celesteela. I decided to put Energy Ball in the last slot to support both Ash-Gren and M-Latios even further, luring Gastrodon.

I'm open to any suggestions you guys have, but I'd prefer keeping both Ash-Gren and M-Latios since they are the main focus of the team.

As always, I hope you enjoyed reading my RMT, "2002: An Ash-Gren and M-Latios Team", and here's the link to the PokePaste:

Remember to support my
OU Project and music artist Anne-Marie and her new album, "Speak Your Mind"!

Last edited:

Searing Victory

Banned deucer.
Great team, few things doe. I always prefer scarf lando with a bit of attack so it can atleast deal ait of damage. I saw aim mention energy ball mag but i prefer the old pain split version, just so it can soak a bit more and heal itself. Hp fire is good but ice beam is alot better so lando cant u turn and theres another way to deal with zygarde. As for the bulu since its speed is shit what about a bot more hp or spd. I prefer scarf ice beam gren but thats just me. Good team none the less.

Felixx

I'm back.
Great team, few things doe. I always prefer scarf lando with a bit of attack so it can atleast deal ait of damage. I saw aim mention energy ball mag but i prefer the old pain split version, just so it can soak a bit more and heal itself. Hp fire is good but ice beam is alot better so lando cant u turn and theres another way to deal with zygarde. As for the bulu since its speed is shit what about a bot more hp or spd. I prefer scarf ice beam gren but thats just me. Good team none the less.
AV Magearna can't run Pain Split, however, also I actually wanted to run a bulkier spread for Tapu Bulu but I need the speed for max speed Ttar and things around that range

Last edited:

Searing Victory

Banned deucer.
AV Magearna can't run Pain Split, however, also I actually wanted to run a bulkier spread for Tapu Bulu but I need the speed for Zapdos
I know lol but i prefer a full on bulky mag that can survive and wear down the op. I rarely see zapdos now tbh. But it still needs bulk so it can put in work. As smogon says bulu holds a full team together and destroys stall.

Hey Felixx , really cool team you've built and that was a very pleasant RMT to read as well. The team by itself is already solid but I feel like you could make some little changes to improve your matchup against common threats such as Kartana, Mega Medicham and Hawlucha. Kartana, actually, can put in a lot of pressure if holding a Choice Scarf as it can 2HKO your entire team after prior damages on Magearna or Lando-T. M-Medicham doesn't find a lot of switchin opportunities, but if it succeeds in coming against like Heatran or Magearna (thanks to Volturn support for example), it can grab a kill. Lastly, more like M-Cham, can find a setup opportunity against like Tapu Bulu, and then it becomes reall hard to stop it from sweeping your team. I'll try to patch up these points in my rate.

>
I'd like to suggest Clefable over Magearna, which I think does fit very well in this team. Not only does it provide a great check to Fighting 'mons like Hawlucha and Mega Medicham, but it also supports the team greatly thanks to Wish. Clefable avoids the 2HKO on almost all M-Cham's moves (except the rare Poison Jab) and in combinaison with Lando-T's intimidation, it even becomes easier to play around it. Same case with Hawlucha as Clefable is able to live a +2 Acrobatics and to KO it back (need chip damages like SR though to have a 100% chance of killing). I'm obviously suggesting max HP max Def as your spread and Wish, which as I said, supports the likes of Heatran throughout the game. I'm also making Clefable your Stealth Rocker, so that frees a slot on Heatran.

In order to ease your matchup against Kartana, I'd use HP Fire over Stone Edge, which doesn't seem useful at all here. You need it to revenge kill M-Char Y? You have M-Latios. Only utility I thought of is to revenge kill M-Pinsir, but it's still manageable even without it thanks to SR, and Ash Gren's Water Shuriken. On the other hand, HP Fire mainly helps vs Kartana, as now Lando-T can OHKO it.

As Clefable is now your SR setter, you have multiple options on the 4th slot. Will O Wisp can be really good to surprise things like Tyranitar or Mega Mawile, especially since the latter one has risen in usage. Protect is another option to scout moves against Specs Ash Gren or Scarf Lando-T as well as having some extra-damage turns. Last option would be Toxic, I'm not a fan of it, but in this case it would help against Gastrodon, one of the actual checks to your Greninja.

[optional] I'm not sure about the utility of Rockium Z here as Zapdos is already checked by Heatran or Mega Latios. That's why I think you can consider running other Z-Moves like Grassium Z or Fightinium Z which both help Greninja's job.

~~

New team

Hope this rate helped and good luck.

Felixx

I'm back.
Hey Felixx , really cool team you've built and that was a very pleasant RMT to read as well. The team by itself is already solid but I feel like you could make some little changes to improve your matchup against common threats such as Kartana, Mega Medicham and Hawlucha. Kartana, actually, can put in a lot of pressure if holding a Choice Scarf as it can 2HKO your entire team after prior damages on Magearna or Lando-T. M-Medicham doesn't find a lot of switchin opportunities, but if it succeeds in coming against like Heatran or Magearna (thanks to Volturn support for example), it can grab a kill. Lastly, more like M-Cham, can find a setup opportunity against like Tapu Bulu, and then it becomes reall hard to stop it from sweeping your team. I'll try to patch up these points in my rate.

>
I'd like to suggest Clefable over Magearna, which I think does fit very well in this team. Not only does it provide a great check to Fighting 'mons like Hawlucha and Mega Medicham, but it also supports the team greatly thanks to Wish. Clefable avoids the 2HKO on almost all M-Cham's moves (except the rare Poison Jab) and in combinaison with Lando-T's intimidation, it even becomes easier to play around it. Same case with Hawlucha as Clefable is able to live a +2 Acrobatics and to KO it back (need chip damages like SR though to have a 100% chance of killing). I'm obviously suggesting max HP max Def as your spread and Wish, which as I said, supports the likes of Heatran throughout the game. I'm also making Clefable your Stealth Rocker, so that frees a slot on Heatran.

In order to ease your matchup against Kartana, I'd use HP Fire over Stone Edge, which doesn't seem useful at all here. You need it to revenge kill M-Char Y? You have M-Latios. Only utility I thought of is to revenge kill M-Pinsir, but it's still manageable even without it thanks to SR, and Ash Gren's Water Shuriken. On the other hand, HP Fire mainly helps vs Kartana, as now Lando-T can OHKO it.

As Clefable is now your SR setter, you have multiple options on the 4th slot. Will O Wisp can be really good to surprise things like Tyranitar or Mega Mawile, especially since the latter one has risen in usage. Protect is another option to scout moves against Specs Ash Gren or Scarf Lando-T as well as having some extra-damage turns. Last option would be Toxic, I'm not a fan of it, but in this case it would help against Gastrodon, one of the actual checks to your Greninja.

[optional] I'm not sure about the utility of Rockium Z here as Zapdos is already checked by Heatran or Mega Latios. That's why I think you can consider running other Z-Moves like Grassium Z or Fightinium Z which both help Greninja's job.

~~

New team

Hope this rate helped and good luck.
Thanks for rating my RMT once again! The main reason for SE on Lando was for the M-Pinsir match-up, and Kart's falling out of favour a little so SE seemed like a good option, but I do understand why I should be running HP Fire. I like the addition of Clef over AV Mag because it frees up a moveslot on Tran, and Tapu Bulu running a different Z-move is definitely something I'll consider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)