2010 music

Kanye's new album is his best work to date. (I didn't think it was possible, Dropout and Registration were pretty amazing to start with.)

Nicki's new album kinda sucks tbh.
Eh, I was expecting it to be a lot worse but I found the personal tracks to be a nice change of pace compared to her featured work.

She could have cooled down a bit on the pop sound on the album, though.

dude new girl talk was awesome news to come home to today. ive been listening to feed the animals alot lately, which gave me an irresistible urge to start downloading some fucking pop music so i made a playlist and filled it with some of the best pop songs of the last 10 years. sometimes i forget pop music can actually be good (7 years late to the party, but i cant stop listening to crazy in love)

and i guess on the subject of mildly poppy songs featuring jay-z, godDAMN excuse me miss is a fucking amazing song. stumbled across it on youtube and oh man its so goddamn sexy i cant stop listening to it. if the rest of the tracks on jays "bad" albums are as gooood as this then im happy as shit i bought blueprint 2.1 cheap on a whim the other day.

If that new Strokes album is anything like First Impressions, I might shoot myself.

Also, fuck it, new Kanye is AOTY for me.

Rolling Stone magazine gave Kanye's new record a 10/10, and it currently holds a perfect score on Metacritic (For now at least), and Pitchfork just gave it a 10/10 (Yeah, Pitchfork).

Well deserved :D

seeing the pitchfork 10 this morning made me all oh shit, isnt this like the only new album theyve 10/10'd since kid a ten years ago?

kinda sucks it releases on a monday tho, might not be able to go buy it until saturday :(

Nope. You're forgetting about Source Tags And Codes and, the final one until now, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

I basically freaked out when I saw this last night. This is crazy.

o yeah, i forgot yankee. i should go listen to that again.

i know people get all "eww pitchfork" (which is totally stupid), but yeah, i had the same reaction. kind of a weird review though, talked too much about his persona and wasnt as glowing as youd expect for a perfect score. NEED THIS ALBUM URRRG

The Books new album is quirky and fun, and at times legitimately uncomfortable (in a good way) and creepy (also in a good way).

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
No surprise the new kanye has "critic's record" written all over it. I mean come on. Kanye, the biggest ego in show business, releasing an album which showcases his fears and insecurities about fame? Who didn't expect people to eat it up? This isn't a perfect album; it is actually full of flaws. Taken in a vacuum it's nowhere near as impressive as it is with context (which ultimately dampens it's potential "classic" status). Fortunately for us, we don't exist in a vacuum so we get to enjoy it for the hot mess it is.

Actually, this is a lot crazier than a 10.0. This is actually the most immediately acclaimed album in at least ten years. Sure, it's not 100, but 98 on Metacritic for a new release is practically unheard of (last year nothing even hit ninety, I believe).

In a year full of insane releases, Kanye is taking the critic's award. In nine years, Pitchfork will put this on their list at least where The Blueprint was.

I can't imagine this being anything like The Blueprint, though. That was The Shape Of Hip Hop to Come. Kanye's album is like London Calling: The parting cry of a genre finishing an era.

Nobody is psychotic enough to draw significant influence from this. This is one of those creative dead ends.

But that's what ensures that this album will be the best at what it does. Forever.

whats a black beatle anyway, a roach?
i guess thats why they got me sitting in coach

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww shit

really hate chris rocks stupid sketch at the end of blame game, so for anyone else who feels the same i just told itunes to stop that track at 5:18.2 seconds and it segways pretty nicely into lost in the world. theres a little piano break just before the skit and if you cut into litw at the right point it actually sounds pretty good.

just thought id share that for anyone else who thinks that shit is as dumb as i do. isnt perfect, but iono.

Yeah first time through it was "haha" but now it's just like... Ruining the song lol. It's odd how he would separate a short instrumental from All of the Lights and the poem from Lost in the World, but keeps that skit attached to Blame Game :/

havoc

pottlepalooza
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this year has had a lot of good rap albums--Curren$y's Pilot Talk, Black Milk's Album of the Year--but man Kanye's new album is pretty incredible after the first few times I've heard it, and this is coming from someone who has never liked ANY of his previous albums. I actually always said his biggest mistake was thinking he could rap. this album isn't perfect, and I don't want to make such a bold statement, but I feel like this is *could* be one of those "landmark" rap albums; the last rap album I was really, truly, blown away by like this was Madvillainy 6-7 years ago.

one of the best things that I think he did was get all the help he did...Kanye can write a good song/verse by himself sometimes, but I think he's a lot better when he surrounds himself with people who can provide what he lacks--namely the ability to sing at least on-key (Rihanna, John Legend, Bon Iver), and mafioso rappers to counterpoint Kanye's tendency to whine for attention (Jay-Z, Raekwon, Rick Ross, that dude from The Clipse). what's better is that Kanye's raps are actually pretty good, so the combination of his above-average rapping with all the good help leads to a good showing.

also, the actual music. I was really impressed by the beats on Curren$y's album and even moreso by Black Milk's live-band setup, but the music on this album is so varied, and I usually don't gush like this, but the music is so varied and Kanye just slays damn near everything. the soul-rap beat alone for "Devil in a New Dress" bowled me over. "Blame Game"'s melancholy jazz-inflected R&B? the straightforward guitar line of "Gorgeous"? the foreboding bass and filters-on-filters-on-Autotuned wailing coda of "Runaway"? even when he does the pop numbers ("All of the Lights" with Rihanna and Fergie), the beat progresses and morphs and it's all just so...big. it's just really big and epic.

as much as I gushed here, it's not a perfect album. I completely left out "Monster" which honestly I don't like much at all, and my jury is still out on "Lost in the World/Who Will Survive in America." Same for the Chris Rock skit at the end of "Blame Game"--it's crass and maybe could have been done better, but honestly I think it's a necessary part of the song, as that crassness seems to really drive the point home...I know if I heard someone say that stuff to my ex-girlfriend I would want to go and honestly beat the everliving shit out of him.

as for the "critic's award"....I mean, yeah, Kanye's nuts, and music critics love this "exposing vulnerabilities" stuff; I tend to think of it more as Kanye West just being really bitter about all the stuff that's happened to him the past few years. it's impossible to ignore the dark mood of this album, either through the raps or the music. I really don't care what mood Kanye West is in, or what his issues are, or how much money he has, or how big of a d-bag he is, as long as he can make a good rap about them. I think he was able to pull his weight for the most part in that department, and that married with a ridiculous bunch of beats and some good guest help (especially John Legend, Raekwon, and Rick Ross) makes for a pretty damn great album. it's a shame that "Monster" is such a piece of deadweight in the middle of the album--kind of ruins the momentum and wastes an amusing verse by Nicki Minaj.

EDIT: reinforcing the notion that you can't always trust "critics;" as a sort of parallel, The Clipse's album Hell Hath No Fury maintained a score on Metacritic of 89, and it's no where -near- that good; it was acclaimed simply because it took forever to come out, and I think that Dark Twisted Fantasy will definitely stand the test of time better than that. also, iirc Pitchfork said that Daft Punk's album Discovery was the #5 best album of the DECADE, and yet it's only rated a 6.4 on the same website. ????

Anathema's new album slays, It was after all mixed by steven wilson so it has to be good. Im enjoying the new direction they are taking...

Yeah, it's incredible to see how far Anathema have come (especially compared to their initial sound on their first albums). Their new album is definitely my favourite one from them, Dreaming Light and Everything in particular are two of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

I'm not too big on new Orphaned Land though, despite the fact that was also mixed by SW, guess that album still needs time to grow on me though.

monster is a freaking amazing track, srsly. and, alongside so appalled, its an important reminder that you're listening to a proper hip-hop album and that kanye can fucking rap. everyone kills ther verses on monster, and jay-z on so appalled is fucking great:

im so appalled, i might buy the mall
just to show niggas how much more i got in store

and then this:

dark knight feeling, die and be a hero
or live long enough to see yourself become a villain
i went from the favourite to the most hated
but would you rather be underpaid or overrated?

aww man.

some more listening lately and lets see:

women - public strain, this album is fantastic, at first the voice and some noise sections threw me off, but it is an interesting album. it has such a great mood that it gives off. the cover artwork is perfect for it actually, and there are so many areas of brilliance that I love. I especially like the second half of the album starting with china steps.

menomea - mines another album that I think is great, it's so varied and layered. look this one up, too bad menomena and women are both apparently breaking up as bands?

kanye west - A Beautiful whatever, was really looking forward to this, downloaded his singles all of the time, this album delivered too. every track is good, the only one I can't get into as much is hell of a life, but whatevs. also does anyone get vibes from so appalled that the background beat sounds like it should be like Zelda temple music? I just noticed it and like the thought of it.

latest listens are the new Swans album and Weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)