Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Marianne Williamson

Votes: 19 3.5%
  • Mike Bloomberg

Votes: 12 2.2%

• Total voters

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
The biggest reason imo is that she doesn't have anything going for her in the first place. What has she accomplished that makes her worthy of serious consideration in this field? Her rise to "fame" is entirely based on her endorsement of Bernie in 2016, which is completely irrelevant to her qualifications.

As far as explicit problems with her candidacy, her signature anti-war message is questionable considering she calls herself a "hawk" on terror. She also "used to be" super homophobic and worked for multiple anti-lgbt organizations, though she purportedly said in 2016 that her personal views on gay people haven't changed. She's also a Modi fan and Assad apologist.
Ok I promised myself I wouldn’t post in this thread anymore but I can’t just let this post go unchallenged. Let’s disect some claims now shall we.
The biggest reason imo is that she doesn't have anything going for her in the first place. What has she accomplished that makes her worthy of serious consideration in this field? Her rise to "fame" is entirely based on her endorsement of Bernie in 2016, which is completely irrelevant to her qualifications.
The reason people support her, while maybe influenced some by that, it’s mostly a side point. However, I should make the case as to why that matters. It matters because it shows political courage. Now, for those who don’t remember, at the time Tulsi was actually well-liked by the establishment and iirc she was planned on being the next presidential candidate after Hillary. However, she stepped down as DNC vice chair in order to endorse Bernie, and she was the first big name to do so. In doing so, she bucked party orthodoxy and showed that she would fight for what she thought was right, even if it hurts her politically, and make no mistake, this did. Now of course, this by itself isn’t a reason to support someone. But this is really where she showed her true colors and how she’ll stand up for what’s right, which is what she’s been doing with her campaign.
As far as explicit problems with her candidacy, her signature anti-war message is questionable considering she calls herself a "hawk" on terror.
That is extremely disingenuous. She had one quote from 2016, I believe, where she said she was a dove on interventionist wars and a hawk on terror and everyone pounced on the one like. She has since gone on to clarify what she means by that, which a lot of people seem to ignore. Firstly, she has very much so spoken out against how the “war on terror” has been implemented, basically as an excuse to do a bunch of terrible wars. Her idea of a war on terror, from her own mouth, is to basically pull our of places like Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, and all the other places we’re fighting awful regime-change wars, support groups fighting against ISIS and al-Qaeda on the ground like the Kurds as an example, and end any support we give to terrorists, which is a lot. That sounds like a great, sensible foreign policy to me, and taking one quote of hers out of context here to try and make it seem like she’s not anti-war or some shit isn’t a great argument.
She also "used to be" super homophobic and worked for multiple anti-lgbt organizations, though she purportedly said in 2016 that her personal views on gay people haven't changed.
Oh my lord. I’m sorry, I just thought this particular smear was dead, but no. Ok so, first of all, she has a 100% pro-gay voting record since she was elected to Congress in 2012. That’s before even people like Hillary Clinton came out for gay marriage. Would you say she is homophobic today? Obama came out for gay marriage that same year. Do you think he’s homophobic today? Tulsi has also issued multiple personal apologies to the lgbtq community for her past statements. On top of this, Tulsi has later clarified that the article kind of misquoted her on her “personal views haven’t changed” thing. She was saying that her personal views on abortion hadn’t changed, not that her personal views on gay marriage hadn’t changed. She also has a 100% pro-choice voting record btw. Plus, pretty much every politician was, if not openly anti-gay, didn’t support gay marriage at the time she was homophobic. Does that mean almost every politician that was around in the early 2000s are homophobic?
She's also a Modi fan
Ok Modi. First of all, Obama was close buddies with Modi. Many publications jokingly called it a bromance. I have never heard anyone criticize Obama for this. In fact, a lot of democratic part officials have met with Modi. It’s not some fringe thing. Plus, Tulsi has said she’s mainly trying to get the US and India to have good relations. As India is the world’s largest democracy, I fail to see how that’s a bad thing, even if Modi is backwards on some issues.
and Assad apologist.
I don’t know which point in the post is the most egregiously wrong, but this is in the running. She met with Assad to promote peace with Syria, which is one of our most blatantly counter-productive regime change wars we’re doing. Plus, Nancy Pelosi also met with Assad. Is she an Assad apologist? Also, I thought you said she wasn’t anti-interventionist. Meeting with leaders like Modi and Assad seems like a good way to promote peace, is it not? Tulsi has also called Assad a “brutal dictator” so it seems like maybe she doesn’t like him. One more note here, in the lead up to the Iraq war, people who weren’t in favor were called “Saddam apologists”. I think, at least most of us here, can agree the Iraq war is awful. Maybe calling someone an apologist for promoting peace isnt a good way to stop US intervention and imperialism which, I hope at least, we all want.
I dont give a shit about polls until after the first debates, whenever those are. Im getting pretty antsy. Im tired of photo ops and MSNBC early morning interviews and CNN town halls. I want to see some sparks fly on the debate stage.
The first debates are June 26/27 so about a month away. I agree, I’m also excited for those.

Just to clarify on my position on Tulsi, to be blunt, I don’t think she’s going to win. I do think the debates will help her numbers, but at the end of the day, even though I support her, I don’t think she can win quite yet. To be fair, I could also say that about every candidate running except for like three that I think have a chance. Imo, her candidacy is more to bring important issues to the forefront like anti-interventionism and fighting for Julian Assange for instance. Also, to hopefully set up another run in a later election where she could possibly win, as well as hopefully get a spot in the administration of whichever democrat wins, hopefully Bernie. However, I don’t think she’s a “joke candidate” or whatever and she’s bringing some issues to the forefront that people need to talk about.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
iirc she was planned on being the next presidential candidate after Hillary
:pikuh:

That is extremely disingenuous. She had one quote from 2016, I believe, where she said she was a dove on interventionist wars and a hawk on terror and everyone pounced on the one like. She has since gone on to clarify what she means by that, which a lot of people seem to ignore.
They're her words, not mine. Anyone can "clarify" something after getting major heat for it. Her statements on fighting Islamic terrorism weren't ambiguous at all. She walked back on them because it was politically expedient.

Oh my lord. I’m sorry, I just thought this particular smear was dead, but no. Ok so, first of all, she has a 100% pro-gay voting record since she was elected to Congress in 2012.
So do 200 other Dems in the current Congress. A modern Democrat voting in favor of gay rights? What a visionary.

That’s before even people like Hillary Clinton came out for gay marriage. Would you say she is homophobic today? Obama came out for gay marriage that same year. Do you think he’s homophobic today?
LMAO are you fucking kidding me? There's a massive difference between supporting full-benefit civil unions and literally working for multiple anti-gay organizations that promote conversion therapy. And we aren't talking about the ancient past here. She was still doing this in the 21st century, and the only reason she quit was because she took up a new career in politics. In 2004, she was spouting bullshit about "homosexual extremists" and denouncing anti-bullying legislation, and that was her last position until 2012 when she decided to run for federal office and flipped her views.

Tulsi has also issued multiple personal apologies to the lgbtq community for her past statements.
Aw what a sweetheart.

Tulsi has later clarified that the article kind of misquoted her on her “personal views haven’t changed” thing. She was saying that her personal views on abortion hadn’t changed, not that her personal views on gay marriage hadn’t changed.
Source? Not that it matters anyway.

In fact, a lot of democratic part officials have met with Modi. It’s not some fringe thing. Plus, Tulsi has said she’s mainly trying to get the US and India to have good relations. As India is the world’s largest democracy, I fail to see how that’s a bad thing, even if Modi is backwards on some issues.
Again with the ridiculous false equivalencies. There's a difference between "meeting" with Modi and actively supporting him. After his 2014 election, his supporters outright organized support and donations for Tulsi's campaign because of her help, like how she “has fought against the anti-Modi resolution introduced recently by some members” of Congress.

If by "backwards on some issues" you mean a hate-mongering right-wing Hindu nationalist who allowed Indian Muslims to be massacred and advocates for a Hindu ethnostate, then sure.

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
How is everyone feeling about impeachment?

Personally, I think anyone trashing Nancy for not supporting impeachment is only interested in grandstanding.

It's not making it through the Senate right now, and it probably wouldn't even make it through the House. If you actually want justice and the best chances of removing Donald anytime between now and the election, rushing impeachment is not the move.

Even from a strategic perspective, a failed impeachment attempt now does nothing for Dems in November 2020. At worst, he gets a bump in approval and gets to say he was exonerated by the Senate. At best, everyone will have forgotten about it, just like they do with all of Trump's scandals. Why not save it for near the election so it's fresh in voters' minds (like the Comey letter)? Why not save it as a one-time way to dominate the news and distract from a Dem scandal or Trump success? Why not save it for the debates so the Dem candidate can use it as a talking point?

That said, I don't mind candidates rallying behind impeachment. Partly because they're probably just pandering, and partly because the party has probably decided to deliberately let Nancy field the blame while the candidates earn free points and raise anti-Trump energy.

EV

Banned deucer.
People love scandals, and people love people who overcome them. The case for impeachment has to be airtight, otherwise like you said, he'll come out of it looking like a victim who survived an attempted coup. Take Bill Clinton. His impeachment looks frivolous in hindsight. I think it vastly improved his éclat among Democrats and even the public at large.

I've only followed the Mueller report as a peripheral viewer, but I don't think the case is airtight and I don't think Congress should move to impeach him.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ats-sanders-warren-buttigieg-harris-iowa-poll

biden campaign is imploding, buttigieg (sp?) is only behind 10%.

also i read a puff piece in the new yorker that reminded me why i should like o'rourke more than the other crappy white men running, basically he does this one thing that no other democrat candidate seems to have figured out: he goes and tries to speak/listen to every voter and dgaf about polls before the race is run, i reckon if he was 20 years older ppl would take him more seriously

and more on the theme of democrats that actually campaigned:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/09/...79evvGNdDvDzww0qg_0oFrE_Z90cWiXSQhkM0jsRXg_o4
"
“First of all, “rural” means the least populated parts of the country; it is not code for white. Nor for Trump die-hards. There are about 10 million rural people of color; that’s one out of every five rural residents. Immigrants were responsible for 37 percent of the population growth in rural areas from 2000 to 2018. And I know there are many white progressives in rural areas because my organization, the Black Voters Matter Fund, partners with several voting groups who mobilize them. These voters exist.

Because of a fundamental misunderstanding about who lives in rural areas, Democratic presidential campaigns have let outreach slide. Hillary Clinton reportedly did not have a rural council, for example, a group of advisers on rural issues, as Barack Obama did during his campaigns.
The key to winning rural voters is to center their needs with a compelling rural platform — starting with better jobs, higher wages andeconomic development. When I’m driving through country roads and I see all the land, I know one advantage rural communities have over urban centers is space for wind, solar and other renewable energy technologies."

"
Just as Mr. Trump’s broken promises to rural America on economic revitalization make him vulnerable, so too do his broken promises on health care. The Trump administration’s proposed 2020 budget would repeal Medicaid expansion and cap Medicaid spending.

This would spell disaster for the one in four rural Americans who rely on Medicaid for insurance. It would also put rural hospitals, which rely on Medicaid for more than 10 percent of their net revenue, at increased risk of closing, taking the care and jobs that they provide.”"

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Life update: I want Kamala, Biden, Warren in that order. Biden's really been hitting some strong moments lately (like climate policy and skipping Iowa to attend granddaughter's graduation) that make me really appreciate him as a candidate. Same with Kamala, such as her abortion plan.

Warren keeps dipping her hand into imo toxic rhetoric, particularly her recent comments about how someone discussing cost and feasibility means they won't fight for you. Completely rejecting the value of pragmatism and honesty for political points is not a good look. Can't make progressive if the bills don't get passed.we should appreciate when candidates are honest about the viability of their plans and how they will address possible roadblocks.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
So, if anyone else hasnt figured it out yet, they are cramming 20 people into one single debate because Biden notoriously sucks at debates and if you have 20 people with questions and responses spread out over that many people, it becomes really hard for anyone to stand out and gain any poll numbers via rhetorical savvy. So those who lead before the debate started will stay the same afterwards.

You cant explain something this aesthetically retarded and unprofessional unless there were some sort of hidden motive behind it. I dont buy that anyone actually thought this would be a good idea to do lol. You know Im right about literally everything Ive said in this post.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
So, if anyone else hasnt figured it out yet, they are cramming 20 people into one single debate because Biden notoriously sucks at debates and if you have 20 people with questions and responses spread out over that many people, it becomes really hard for anyone to stand out and gain any poll numbers via rhetorical savvy. So those who lead before the debate started will stay the same afterwards.

You cant explain something this aesthetically retarded and unprofessional unless there were some sort of hidden motive behind it. I dont buy that anyone actually thought this would be a good idea to do lol. You know Im right about literally everything Ive said in this post.
First of all, they are splitting the debate into 2 nights, so there will not be 20 people on stage. Besides, what did you want them to do? Cut 2/3 of the candidates?

Secondly, Biden is great in debates (see: 2008/2012). Not to mention that he's had some really fantastic lines over the past couple weeks. The only reason his support would fall after the debates is because lesser-known candidates will gain name recognition, but I promise it won't fall much.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Literally no states have voted yet and you already want them to cut candidates? Interesting. This is pretty similar to what republicans did with their debates in 2016. It’s not ideal, but please suggest a better option for when there’s 23 declared candidates.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
Yes, I want them to cut people. Julian Castro and Bill De Blasio will not garner more than negative 5% of the vote. They should be cutting people who have really low poll numbers and then also be making exceptions for people like Yang and Marianne Williamson who are either innovative or weird as hell because after all its still television so it still needs to have a sort of entertainment angle to it. And yes, 10 people per debate is still too fucking many and Biden is still terrible at debates. Hes a notorious dumbshit.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
gee am i ever glad that we get to hear such all-time favorites as "john hickenlooper" and "eric swalwell" in the debates
Everyone was nobody until they were somebody. <3 Isn't hickenlooper the darling of the environment fanatics? (edit: I'm thinking of Jay inslee. disregard that) I appreciate his differentiating himself as aggressively pragmatic too and being willing to piss off the Bernie hive when all the other candidates are carefully tiptoeing around them, Warren included. I'm voting for Kamala or Warren, but it's a really good voice to have right now. Bernie did a great job dragging the discussion left as a whole, but we need someone now to drag the discussion towards reality. Unachievable promises are the enemy of progress.

I agree that the debate requirements should have been higher, but arbitrarily cutting people after the fact isn't the move. I'm glad they've preemptively raised the bar a ton for future debates.

Last edited:
oh yes, what the democratics absolutely need is someone who disavows progressive politicking in the country for Reality. because that isn't coming from an inculcated perspective of ~~privilege~~ imbued within the status quo. i rly hate how What Can Be Achieved within congress is seen as some barometer of what candidates should base their platforms on. the further left a candidate is, the more likely the middleground will be left too. hickenlooper is trash.

as angela davis and many radicals have theorized about the process of conscientization, creating the belief that conditions can be undone in the population is the first driver to actually effecting change. as she wrote: “Social realities that may have appeared inalterable, impenetrable, came to be viewed as malleable and transformable; and people learned how to imagine what it might mean to live in a world that was not so exclusively governed by the principles of white supremacy." davis also points out that abolitionists in the u.s. during slavery had nothing to point toward that could convince them they could overturn the tide of oppression. it would be preposterous to assume that the enslaved, encaptured, and apolitical by decree could ever get free. it was nonsensical given the times, yet that reality came to be. and we can argue about slavery not ending, etc etc, but..

this is why we need to maintain staunch fervor with our morals. our beliefs can be a zeitgeist for the future of the most vulnerable. black trans women have a life expectancy of less than half of the population still. wages maintain stagnancy. people are working more hours than ever with multiple jobs. labor remains extracted, workers apathetic, life being humdrum and upholding the hegemony of capitalist logics. you aren't helping with these milquetoast takes, mikedawg, and your justifications are very ahistorical (and white as fuck).

Last edited:
also mikedawg.. are you even following the candidates outside of headlines? why do your posts read that bernie is The Progressive candidate, as opposed to warren, who actually has more progressive stances.. ?

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
also mikedawg.. are you even following the candidates outside of headlines? why do your posts read that bernie is The Progressive candidate, as opposed to warren, who actually has more progressive stances.. ?
What do you mean? :o I think Warren (and Harris, based on her platform) are both more progressive than Bernie.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Its not rigged if none of them are able to win in the first place. If they cant win and they dont have any novel ideas, like Julian Castro, get them off the debate stage.
How do you decide if someone is able to win? If that were the metric, we may as well dump everyone except Biden, Warren, Pete, and maybe Kamala if we have room for 4.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
The DNC had us fooled. We all thought Pete was the plant to steal Bernie's support, but it was Yang all along!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Underdog candidates few from outside their state have heard of have gone on to win the nomination before. Jimmy Carter comes to mind.

Arbitrarily cutting people out of debates based on a high polling threshold at a time when like half the candidates are not known by half the public is stupid. The point of a debate this early is exposure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)