30 Turn Chaos

PAST 1337 VIEWS

Yes, it's closely fought, it's brilliantly played, it's full of surprises approximately every 12 turns, and both players made less than 30 moves. NO forfeiting in this match!

Disclaimer: Product may contain trace amounts of hax.

Battle between b07 and min min started!

And so it begins. This is a warstory of a recent battle with user b07 on the PO server, which was one of the most intense matches I’ve had in a while. Comments will be in blue, percentages are given as "my pokemon > my switch-in/his pokemon > his switch-in". Let us rick and let us roll.

Tier: Wifi
Variation: +21, -11

Gulp. My rating was in the mid-1300s at the time, and for someone to have such a large advantage in points at such an hour where all the noobs were about is very scary indeed. I prep myself for a tough battle in which I would definitely lose.

Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

min min: scizor jelli chanse rotomh glisc tios

The team I was using at the time was Team Trifecto, which I posted an RMT about a while ago. You can read it HERE.

In pictures:

Being a player on Wifi, I get to see his team as well. A long time ago I saw some elite battler dude spouting out my team in the battle chat before the battle started, and I adopted that practice in most of my matches ever since. Whoever was the first to do this was a genius, because not only can you assign a probably advantageous lineup accordingly and commit his team to memory, it totally messes with the noobs who have no idea what you’re doing especially if you use shorthand abbreviations.

But this guy isn’t a noob. From the get-go I see Latios, which is just about the last thing I’d want to face down. Chansey will also be a pain in the ass to beat down, more so now that b07 is probably experienced in the mysterious ways of switching, easily evading Scizor’s U-turns. Welp, nothing to do but to soldier on as much as I ramble on.

min min sent out Landorus! (
)
b07 sent out Gliscor! (
)

I change nothing and lead with Choice Scarf Landorus as usual. b07 leads with his Gliscor accordingly, which completely shuts down most Landorus. Luckily, this isn’t a common Landorus. It’s a shame that I have to use it that early and ruin the surprise factor, but against every Gliscor lead it’s always proved amazingly useful for clearing the way for Salamence and Scizor.

Go go go, Hidden Power Ice.

Start of turn 1

The foe's Gliscor used Protect!
The foe's Gliscor protected itself!

Landorus used Hidden Power!

The foe's Gliscor's Toxic Orb activated!
The foe's Gliscor was poisoned!

vs

100% / 100%

...but my opponent isn’t the average Excadrill-spamming noob either. I should have seen the Protect coming from a mile away, but every Gliscor I’ve played that day probably used Ice Fang from the get-go. Faulty inductive arguments aside, this puts me in a predicament as he’s got a free switch to make, providing the momentum right from Turn 1.

I could switch out to something that had a fair chance against his possible switch-ins, but it’s rare that I predict so early in the game. Besides, he could either switch to Jellicent, Scizor, Chansey or Rotom-H, too many for me to guess, or use Swords Dance, which will be very problematic. So I stay in.

Start of turn 2

b07 called Gliscor back!
b07 sent out Jellicent! (
)

Landorus used Hidden Power!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Jellicent lost 6% of its health!

The foe's Jellicent restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

vs
>

100% / 100%>100%

Indeed, he switches out. Now I have to swap to either Rotom-W or Celebi to scare it away, and since I rarely get a chance to bring Celebi in that early for Stealth Rocks, in she goes!

Start of turn 3

min min called Landorus back!
min min sent out Celebi! (
)

The foe's Jellicent used Scald!
Celebi lost 40 HP! (9% of its health)
Celebi was burned!

Celebi is hurt by its burn!

>
vs

100%>76% / 100%

Perfecto. Now to use Stealth Rock while he switches to, oh I don't know, all the other members of his team that can take a Leaf Storm to the face. Leaf Storm from a Tinkerbell Celebi hurts everything badly, except stuff that resist it, and some that don't. Which includes...

Start of turn 4

b07 called Jellicent back!
b07 sent out Chansey! (
)

Celebi used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around b07's team!

Celebi is hurt by its burn!

vs
>

64% / 100%>100%

...the pale pink yonic symbol of luck, fertility and bitches. This is a very big problem, since only Scizor can hope to badly damage Chansey from the get-go. I swear, when this is over I'm going to take up LK's suggestion, use a Latios over Salamence and run Hammer Arm on Landorus just for this eggy monstrosity.

Either way, Chansey's as bulky as Jack Lalanne's reanimated buff body in a robot suit covered in raw beef with the cow still attached. I know I can't hurt anything else on his team other than Jellicent, who is switching out anyway, so I set up Stealth Rock on his side. Chansey won't like it without Leftovers, and if I keep the pressure on she won't be able to heal.

So I decide to switch to Scizor (my, I do ramble on).

Start of turn 5

min min called Celebi back!
min min sent out Scizor! (
)

The foe's Chansey used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around min min's team!

>
vs

59%>100% / 100%

b07 takes the opportunity to set up his own Stealth Rocks on my side of the field. That means Scizor can't just keep coming in to force Chansey out so often, which screws me over a lot more than I screw him over.

It's too early to use Superpower just yet, and U-turn is, as always, an awesome scouting and damaging move. VWOOP!

Start of turn 6

b07 called Chansey back!
)
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Jellicent!

Scizor used U-turn!
The foe's Jellicent lost 20% of its health!
min min called Scizor back!

Jellicent takes the U-turn like a champ. Celebi's already got Stealth Rock down, meaning it can't do much else to the incoming pokemon. My other bulky water killer is Rotom-W, who can burn any potential switch-ins like Chansey and Latios (Rotom-H, Gliscor and Scizor are well out of the picture, as superior typing and super-effective moves clearly > both). The residual damage should hurt them in the long run more than a Thunderbolt, and what idiot keeps a Jellicent in to a super-effective ionisation of particles in the air causing a current of electron flow towards its large, fleshy, delicious body?

min min sent out Rotom-W! (
)
Pointed stones dug into Rotom-W!

Rotom-W restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

>
vs
>

100%>93% / 100%>73%

In we go! Will-O-Wisp to put more hurt on Chansey than I'd ever do with Thunderbolt or Hydro Pump. Burning a Latios isn't that bad either, and at least it's better than putting a minor annoying blister onto Jellicent.

Start of turn 7

b07 sent out Chansey! (
)
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Chansey!

Rotom-W used Will-O-Wisp!
The foe's Chansey was burned!

The foe's Chansey is hurt by its burn!

vs

100% / 73%>75%

Oh yay. I burned a Chansey. Sigh, time to get Scizor in to scare it out again.

Start of turn 8

min min called Rotom-W back!
)
Pointed stones dug into Scizor!

The foe's Chansey used Seismic Toss!
Scizor lost 100 HP! (29% of its health)

The foe's Chansey is hurt by its burn!

vs

100%>58% / 63%

Same old, same old.

Start of turn 9

b07 called Chansey back!
b07 sent out Gliscor! (
)
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Gliscor!

Scizor used U-turn!
The foe's Gliscor lost 17% of its health!
min min sent out Lucario! (
)
Pointed stones dug into Lucario!

Lucario is floating on a balloon!

The foe's Gliscor restored HP using its Poison Heal!

>
vs

58%>97% / 83%

Scizor scares Chansey out, and b07 hightails to his Gliscor. In turn, I U-turn to Lucario. Bad move on my part, since Gliscor has been the hardest counter to Lucario since the dawn Gen IV.

Hard counter my ass, bitch. Lucario, use Nasty Plot.

Now, b07's seen my Hidden Power Ice Landorus and Protected accordingly. If all goes well, he'll do so again just in case. Which is when I finally nab his do-nothing turn and get my game face on.

Start of turn 10

The foe's Gliscor used Protect!

Lucario used Nasty Plot!
Lucario's Sp. Att. sharply rose!

The foe's Gliscor restored HP using its Poison Heal!

vs

97% / 95%

YES. Probably expecting the gimmick Ice attack, Gliscor protects out of sheer habit. Most Gliscor are slower than 216 Spe Jolly in order to deal with Excadrill, which means Lucario can outspeed and KO with its +2 auxiliary coverage special attack.

Start of turn 11

b07 called Gliscor back!
b07 sent out Chansey! (
)

Lucario used Shadow Ball!
It had no effect!

vs
>

97% / 95%>51%

...on hindsight, that move was pretty obvious given that b07 doesn't suck. Anyway, time to 2HKO with Aura Sphere. Chansey's a couple dozen percents above half health by now, and like Blissey, will be in OHKO range for my Aura Sphere. Bombs away!

Start of turn 12

Lucario used Aura Sphere!
It's super effective!
The foe's Chansey lost 41% of its health!

The foe's Chansey used Softboiled!
The foe's Chansey regained health!

vs

97%>60%

Lesson of the day: Chansey =/= Blissey. Takes something like this to happen before you learn that fact.

Aura Sphere does relatively sucky damage, so in the meantime I shall Nasty Plot to nasty levels while Chansey will Seismic Toss to do some damage. Chanseys always carry Toxic, not Thunder Wave, right?

Start of turn 13
Lucario used Nasty Plot!
Lucario's Sp. Att. sharply rose!

The foe's Chansey used Thunder Wave!
Lucario is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

vs

Lesson of the day: Never have preconceived notions about Chansey. Well, it can't kill me or heal fast enough to outlive a +4 Aura Sphere, right?

97% / 60%

Start of turn 14

The foe's Chansey used Softboiled!
The foe's Chansey regained health!

Lucario is paralyzed! It can't move!

vs

97% / 100%

Lesson of the day: Fuck Chansey.

Start of turn 15

The foe's Chansey used Seismic Toss!
Lucario lost 100 HP! (35% of its health)
Lucario's Air Balloon popped!

Lucario used Aura Sphere!
It's super effective!
The foe's Chansey lost 70% of its health!

vs

62% / 30%

Finally, the power level of Lucario is enough to scare the woefully under-9000 Chansey away. Of course, b07 will be switching to his beloved Gliscor or Latios in order to take the Fighting attack. It logically follows that I use Shadow Ball. But what if Chansey stays in to heal up? What if I get fully paralysed? I'm getting a lot more cautious now after the previous misadventures. Meh, que sera sera.

Start of turn 16

b07 called Chansey back!
b07 sent out Gliscor! (
)
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Gliscor!

Lucario used Shadow Ball!
The foe's Gliscor lost 82% of its health!

The foe's Gliscor fainted!

b07 sent out Chansey! (
)

vs
>
>

62% / 30%>0%>17%

Aaaaaaaand we have a knockout!

So he switches Chansey back in again. Lucario may be battered and broken, but he's still brimming with aura, and as they say in Brawl, "OH FUCK, HE'S AT 210% AND NOT DEAD!"

Start of turn 17

Lucario used Vacuum Wave!
It's super effective!
The foe's Chansey lost 16% of its health!

The foe's Chansey fainted!

)

vs
>

62% / 0% > 61%

min min: LAST STAND
min min: rawrrrr

Lucario takes down 2 pokemon on his lonesome, now he faces his third challenger! Jellicent packs a semi-decent special attack, and will definitely outspeed the desperately spasming Lucario. Will Scald do enough damage to kill? Will Lucario remain downed by his affliction? WILL THE OPPONENT FORFEIT?

TUNE IN TO THE NEXT POST TO FIND OUT!

no, this is not some interesting new way to evade the hundred-image limit and provide needless dramatic tension in a humorously dramatic way

PART DEUX: THE EPIC CONCLUSION

*cue stunning dramatic music composed by that beautiful genius Hans Zimmer*

IN THE PREVIOUS EPISODE: Murder! Betrayal! A shocking turn of events! The underdog (actually, jackal) triumphs! WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT?

Start of turn 18

The foe's Jellicent used Scald!

A critical hit!

Lucario lost 174 HP! (61% of its health)

Lucario fainted!

)

>
vs

0%>87% / 61%

Ah dammit. Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, seeing as 36 moves have been made so far and critical hits happen once every twenty turns. Or not. You'll have to look that up yourself to be sure.

In comes Rotom-W again to scare out the bulky water and cast a Will-o-Wisp, seeing as spreading a random burn is better than the odd resisted attack in the long run.

Start of turn 19

b07 sent out Latios! (
)
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Latios!

Rotom-W used Will-O-Wisp!
The foe's Latios was burned!

The foe's Latios is hurt by its burn!

vs
>

93% / 61%>75%

Bingo, burned the Latios which is a small sort of victory. Now, the question remains as to what to do. I have a feeling Rotom-W is going to come in very useful for taking b07's Rotom-H's Overheats (if he does carry it at all), so I shall save it for later. Something is going to have to be sacrificed for Scizor to switch in healthily and force a switch, while still having enough health left to survive and act as a failsafe in case the final Salamence sweep goes south. In the spur of the moment, I pick Landorus. Bad play, dude, since Landorus could have acted as a better backup pokemon than Scizor ever would be, having a super-effective move against Rotom-H.

Start of turn 20

min min called Rotom-W back!
min min sent out Landorus! (
)
Pointed stones dug into Landorus!

The foe's Latios used Draco Meteor!
Landorus lost 279 HP! (87% of its health)
Landorus fainted!
The foe's Latios's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

)

>
>
vs

93%>0%>46% / 75%

Everything goes rosily (well, in the grand scheme of things). Landorus goes down, and Scizor goes in for the intimidation again. By now I'm pretty sure this Latios is choiced seeing as there are no Leftovers or Life Orb damage, and judging by the KOs on Rotom-W and Landorus assume that it's spec'd. Still, I haven't been winning much against Latias and Latios, so it's hard to have a ballpark estimate of damage.

Here, I expect him to switch to Jellicent again, so I go for Rotom-W. Misplay number two: why the hell didn't I U-turn?

Start of turn 21

b07 called Latios back!
b07 sent out Rotom-H (
)!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Rotom-H!

)

>
vs

46%>87% / 75%

Finally, Rotom-H comes out at last. It's probably going to get the hell out of there and go to something that can take a Hydro Pump.

Now, experience is always important when playing pokemon. I've used Jellicent before, and the main instinct when using Jellicent is to divert all water attacks at it, no matter the cost. 25% free health, wow!

Of course, that's what I think the opponent is thinking.

Start of turn 22

The foe's Rotom-H used Volt Switch!
Rotom-W lost 97 HP! (31% of its health)
b07 called Rotom-H back!
)

Rotom-W used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
The foe's Jellicent lost 54% of its health!
The foe's Jellicent fainted!

b07 sent out Latios! (
)

vs
>
>

62% / 75%>0%>63%

The dreaded jelly goes down! Now Scizor can act as an even more reliable backup cleaner. But wait! Latios comes in again, threatening to kill. Rotom-W has done a lot for me in this match, and I feel it should deserve a break. In the form of a blazing, tumultous, showering flare of superheated molten rocks from space.

Start of turn 23

The foe's Latios used Draco Meteor!
Rotom-W lost 188 HP! (61% of its health)

Rotom-W fainted!

The foe's Latios's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

)

>
vs

0%>34% / 51%

in this turn: rotom dies, scizor arrives. can we skip this?

Rotom-H will be switching in to stop Scizor, and all will be hopeless soon as Latios and Rotom-H shuffle in and out, wearing down what's left of my team with their 140 base power STAB moves.

But slowly, a plan comes into being. Salamence resists Overheat. Salamence outspeeds the rest of his team at +1, unless Latios is scarfed, which means I'm screwed.

To lure Rotom-H into Overheat and preserve Scizor as the failsafe, I decide to sacrifice Celebi, since she hasn't been performing much after the first few turns. Roasted cabbage?

Start of turn 24

b07 called Latios back!
b07 sent out Rotom-H (
)!

min min sent out Celebi! (
)
Pointed stones dug into Celebi!

>
vs
>

34%>52% / 51%>50%

The double switch occurs exactly as planned. No one's dead yet, but the harpies gather in the distance, crying for blood...and roasted lettuce.

Start of turn 25

The foe's Rotom-H used Overheat!

It's super effective!
Celebi lost 214 HP! (52% of its health)

Celebi fainted!

The foe's Rotom-H's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

min min sent out Salamence! (
)
Pointed stones dug into Salamence!

Salamence intimidates the foe's Rotom-H!
The foe's Rotom-H's Attack fell!

>
vs

0%>75% / 50%

Action time. First off, Dragon Dance. Following which, Salamence will outspeed Rotom-H, hopefully be faster than Latios, and... OH GOD SCIZOR-

Start of turn 26

b07 called Rotom-H back!
b07 sent out Scizor! (
)
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Scizor!

MISPLAY 3. I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT I FORGOT ABOUT HIS SCIZOR

Salamence used Dragon Dance!
Salamence's Attack rose!
Salamence's Speed rose!

vs

75% / 87%

oh god what do what do

Wait a minute, Scizor's Bullet Punch 2HKOs. Or does it OHKO with rocks? I'm too jittery to bother and do a calc, but I'm betting it's the former...

Start of turn 27

The foe's Scizor used Bullet Punch!
Salamence lost 210 HP! (63% of its health)

It was the former. Now, does Fire Blast miss?

Salamence used Fire Blast!
It's super effective!
The foe's Scizor lost 87% of its health!

The foe's Scizor fainted!

Nope.

b07 sent out Rotom-H!

vs
>

12% / 0%>25%

Finally. Rotom-H comes in, suggesting 1) that it's b07's best hope against my Salamence, which means 2) it's scarfed, and 3) Latios isn't. I'm home free from now on, but the final stretch might be blocked by an obnoxious blue fucker with sideburns and a long neck wearing a cool scarf. OR IS IT?

Start of turn 28

Salamence used Outrage!
The foe's Rotom-H lost 25% of its health!

The foe's Rotom-H fainted!

b07: damn
b07: gg

It's over?

b07 sent out Latios! (
)

vs
>

12% / 0%>26%

It's...finally over?

Start of turn 29

Salamence used Outrage!

inb4 haban berry

It's super effective!

uh huh

The foe's Latios lost 26% of its health!

oh fuck that is one bulky latios

The foe's Latios fainted!

Wow.

vs
> WINNER

min min won the battle!
min min: Good game, there.
b07: gg

min min: BRILLIANT BATTLE. Very good game to you sir.

Indeed it was. And that concludes an amazingly close, and surprisingly short, warstory of epic proportions. I hope you've enjoyed it very much (and you'd better after I wasted my entire afternoon getting this done)! Thanks for reading!

Credits: Bulbapedia for sprites, b07 for the awesome battle, that one random guy who gave me a Luvdisc, appreciations to you all!
UPDATE: Percentages done!

~~~

nice warstory! I enjoyed the to-the-point commentary, and couldn't figure out how you planned on sweeping with a salamence until you remembered you forgot about scizor. :P I'd love to see more like it!

You made a couple of mistakes, such as forgetting about Scizor, but you covered for them well. You illustrated your planning well as well, and were funny in the process. Nice warstory!

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Nice battle, nice commentary, and a nice layout. 7/10. Although you mention that Hp Ice landorus isn't common. Unfortunately for many gliscor, it is...

A fun read, which is really all we want isn't it, so well done. You individualised the commentary (which was good anyway) nicely and added good humour to it, which made it as good as it was. That said, there were a few flaws. Misplays as you say, but since you at least identify them yourself I'll skip over that. I did feel that your commentary was the only thing dramatising the battle at some points, but overall that wasn't the case so meh. Would be happy to see more basically, if they're like this, but be sure to have a different team so it doesn't get boring.

Nice warstory. Hax only occured once or twice (which didn't really matter in the long run). Nice commentary even though it was a little dramatic. The format was good but can you add percentages?

8/10

Decent, I would say a 7/10.

The formating was funky to me at least (mayby look at some others like Speed is fun 'till it Kills for better formating ideas). But the battle was pretty good overall. The only things I disliked where in the begining and at the end. In the begining you assumed this opponent was not a n00b because you saw Latios. So if someone is above the average n00b level wouldn't you expect their Gliscor to know protect? (May be just me that would expect that so if it is not that common my bad). Also I lol'd at Celebi doing nothing besides Stealth Rocks. And finally in the end forgetting about Scizor could have been bad but you still won which I found funny. You made it sound like a big deal in the commentary when you forgot but you still won. That part was covered up good with the "Does Fire Blast miss?" question.

Lol Min Min trying to write a warstory :P

Just kidding, it was pretty epic. I read warstories to be entertained, and this nearly did just that :P

Keep writing.

[/PC++]

I'll try to get percentages done ASAP, and as for the teams I do admit Tailwind Scizor took the cake for warstory standards and both teams come across as bog standard though...sorry about that.

It may just be me and a pet peeve but I've always found it really irritating when my opponent lists out my team. Sure its making the best of team preview but do it in a notepad, in your head or a piece of paper, not in the battle chat.

Anyway onto the actual warstory, decent humour, pretty well formatted overall but needs health indicators, battlewise pretty standard stuff with a few good predictions here and there but really not too interesting in terms of the lineup but thats my jaded side speaking. Only major thing which is more related to the team is if your Scizor assuming it was CB'd ran Pursuit you could've avoided alot of the Latios problems early on.

@Forsety: Isn't that the point? :trollface: Throwing the opponent off balance, psychological tactics, and all that.

Percentages are done, format may be a little odd though. On a side note, thanks for the <3!

I liked this a lot! Some formatting could have been better, but the way you covered for your misplays demonstrated perfectly the not-so-perfect playing out of most battles! I really enjoyed it! 9/10

Formatting slightly off-putting, but thank you for realising that long battle =/= good battle; more people should post thirty-turn battles like this.

To be honest I never realised it was that short until I looked at the log. Still, long battles are boring to maintain a decent commentary all the way through.

Excellent warstory. Great battle and thoroughly entertaining commentary, I don't know why this is getting such low ratings.

9.5/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)