6!6!6! The number of the....Empoleon?!?!? OURMT

Yeah, Empoleon is a beast.

As you can see in my signature, I'm trying to reach Empoleon's fullest potential, making teams around Empoleon all the time.

This team's objective is to make a succesful SubPetaya Empoleon late game sweep, by trying to remove his counters before he comes.

I'm seeing some little problems, so I would like as much help as possible. Thanks in advance.

BTW, it is a fully ofensive team.

(Changes will be underlined)

The team at a glance:

-----------------------------------------

Metagross @Occa Berry
Adamant
[Clear Body]
EV's: 252 hp, 246 atk, 12 def

Explosion
Earthquake
Bullet Punch
Stealth Rock

One of the most reliable leads in the game, manages to fight almost all the other leads effectively. His purpose is to put Stealth Rock in play and then take a pokemon down (at least).

Moves:
-Stealth Rock: What is a lead without this annoying little rocks? SR helps give the opponent some damage before Empoleon sweeps. A SR in game can make the difference between a 2HKO and a OHKO.

-Bullet Punch: Priority + STAB make this move a very hard hitter in the hands of Metagross. Can hit Azelf, Aerodactyl, etc, very hard.

-Earthquake (EQ): Many normal Metagross leads have a combination of Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch, so an EQ would normally not be awaited. Hits Jirachi, Infernape, Heatran...

-Explosion: One of the most (if not the most) powerful moves in all of the metagame. If this thing doesn't take you out with it, it because you're a ghost or have a spread 252 hp/252 def and a full hp xD Used when Metagross has given everything and wants to take something.

EV's: The standard speed EV's were moved to attack for more raw-hitting power. They are seeming to act OK, so they stay where they are.

Item: Occa Berry for taking a Fire hit from Infernape and Heatran and KO them back with EQ.
----------

Gengar* @Life Orb
Hasty
[Levitate]
EV's: 252 speed, 252 spatk, 6 atk

Explosion
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

This set for Gengar is not so common, and it is very fun to play with :D Helps against spinners who wanna take SR away.

Moves:

-Shadow Ball: Gengar's most useful STAB move in the metagame. Hits every ghost and psychic in the game for a lot of damage. I don't think all those need mention, you know them xD

-Thunderbolt: Very good special attack that is almost necesary in Gengars all over. Hits bulky waters very well. May change to Energy Ball as Swampert is somewhat of a problem, any opinion about it?

-Focus Blast: Helps against Tyranitar with its enormous 120 base power.

-Explosion: Gengar's job is to do as most damage as he can do. Explosion helps fullfil that. When he can go no more, he just finishes with a loud bang!

EV's: Full attack and speed for a normal sweeping purposes. 6 atk for powering Explosion a little. Without HP EV's I get 261, which gets me for 11 life orb hits not counting substitute and Tyranitar's sandstorm.

Item: Life Orb for raw-hitting.

----------

Donphan @Leftovers
Impish
[Sturdy]
EV's: 252 hp, 252 def, 6 atk

-Earthquake
-Ice Shard
-Rapid Spin
-Knock Off

My spinner. Seems like it isn't bound for this team, so help is required here. Also, I needed an electric resist, so this guy would fit in.

Moves:

-Rapid Spin: What's a spinner without the spin? It's here to remove spikes and T-spikes (I don't mind SR THAT much) because it hits my main 2 sweepers (Kingdra and Tyranitar)

-Earthquake: Donphan's only STAB move, and one of the best hitters in the game.

-Ice Shard: Sometimes, Donphan is gonna be killed by very fast sweepers, so Ice Shard may hit them and KO them before they KO me. Takes a large chunck of a Salamence's health.

-Knock Off: Mostly a filler, when I predict a change, I use it to take the item of whatever comes in.

EV's: Full defense and HP for trying to survive longer. 6 atk for giving him a little boost for his moves.

Item: Leftovers as all walls to take damage a little better.

----------

Kingdra @Lum Berry
Adamant
[Sniper]
EV's: 252 hp, 232 speed, 24 atk

Outrage
Waterfall
Dragon Dance
Substitute

One of my favorite Kingdra sets EVER. It hits with so much raw power, that only Empoleon resists his dual STAB in all of the metagame.

Moves:

-Dragon Dance: Kingdra's best stat-upper. Used so he can outrun and kill almost all of the metagame xD

-Substitute: Used against T-wavers, WoW-ers, and Toxic-ers, so they think twice if braking the sub or switching, as I will always get a free DD xD

-Outrage: Kingdra's most powerful STAB move after Draco Meteor, but without the spatk lowering xD

-Waterfall: Kingdra's secondary STAB move.

EV's: 252 hp gives Kingdra an awesome bulk, making a CB Scizor's Bullet Punch a 4HKO. 232 speed makes him outrun Jolteon, Aerodactyl and Crobat's full speed EVed sets. The remaining EV's were placed in atk for a little boost-up.

Item: Lum Berry works wonders on Kingdra. It can cure a T-wave/WoW/Toxic and get behind the Sub so they can't status me. Also cures Outrage's confusion so I can Outrage again.

----------

Tyranitar @Choice Scarf
Naive
[Sand Stream]
EV's: 252 speed, 120 atk, 136 spatk

Fire Blast
Earthquake
Crunch
Ice Beam

Wow.....this thing is never expected. When people see Tyranitar, they say one of two things: 1° It's banded; or 2° It's a DDancer. Well, the surprise of this thing is that....it is neither of the 2 xD
If you go to Empoleon's smogon strategy dex, you can see this thing hits almost all of SubPetaya Empoleon's counters really hard.

Moves:

-Crunch: Tyranitar's only stab move in this set. Almost all normal forms of Latias are 2HKO by Crunch alone without counting Sandstorm, SR and Life Orb (which some Latias have).

-Fire Blast: Hits all steel types in the game for at most a 2HKO.

-Earthquake: Mostly for coverage. Rock, Poison types and Empoleon should go running xD

-Ice Beam: Salamence is always a threat. This thing outruns it before a DD and OHKO's with Ice Beam. Also hits grass and ground types.

EV's: 252 speed for outrunning everything he can, mostly many common scarfed pokemon, like Magnezone. 120 atk and 136 spatk are needed for some necesary KO's. BTW, Latias fails to 2HKO with a specsed Surf and Dragon Pulse under sandstorm.

Item: Choice Scarf for the un-expectedness (xD) and for outrunning.

----------

Empoleon @Petaya Berry
Modest
[Torrent]
EV's: 252 spatk, 232 speed, 12 hp, 12 def

Surf
Grass Knot
Substitute
Agility

The soul of this team and the Late-game sweeper. Also my favorite pokemon :D

Moves:

-Substitute: This lets protect Empoleon from other hits and to scout a little...mainly for activating Petaya.

-Agility: After an Agility, Empoleon reaches 428, enough to outspeed some common scarf pokemon, like Porygon-Z and Heatran.

-Surf: Sum this up: Petaya Berry + Torrent + Stab = ....I don't think I need to tell you xD

-Grass Knot: Gives me some coverage options, and hits Swampert and Gyarados pretty hard.

EV's: 12 hp lets me activate Petaya and Torrent after 3 subtitutes. 232 speed for getting 428 speed after Agility. The rest was given to defense.

Item: Petaya Berry gives him those beastly capabilities I talked about at the start of the post.

----------
______________________________________..
______________________________________::
______________________________________::

Until now, the team seems to work great, and my score with it is 12 wins and 2 loses. There are some ocasional problems with it though, which I would like you to help with. Rate whatever you see wrong and recomend whatever you want, I'll take it into account. Thanks a lot for reading this!!

So....rate, steal or whatever!!!!!!!! xD

Golden Empoleon

Team building process:

First, as my favorite pokemon ever, I chose to build the team around Empoleon, using one of the most devastator sets I know: the Agility SubPetaya:

Then, I took a quick glance at the pokemon that counter the subpetaya set, so I had to choose a pokemon that could beat:
Latias
Vaporeon
Tentacruel
Lanturn
Blissey

So the first thing that came to my mind was Tyranitar. Blissey doesn't have the enough defense to survive Tyranitar. Every common version of Latias is 2HKO'ed by Crunch, Tentacruel dies from an Earthquake, so does Lanturn, and Vaporeon is very fragile and weak to kill Tyranitar.

The team then went to 2 members:

I know that Empoleon works well with some residusal damage. The first thing that came to my mind for it (as would had come to everyone) was Stealth Rock, so I chose my favorite lead, Metagross, and he had been working great lately, so I chose him. The team now had 3 members:

Somewhat, Scizor kicked my as$, so I needed something to counter him effectively and kill him fast, so my defensive DD Kingdra worked perfectely, as it resisted BP and was like 4HKO'ed by it. 4 members now:

Then I noticed a Ground weakness, so a Levitater or flying type would do OK. I also needed a secondary special sweeper if my Empoleon failed to set up. I remembered then Stealth Rock, and I didn't want it spinned away, so I had two options here: Mismagius and Gengar. Both Levitated, were ghosts, and had very good sp sweeping capabilities. I went for the latter one because of its speed. 5 members now:

The team was almost done. I only needed a spinner, as Empoleon and Tyranitar were weak to spikes, so I thought at first of Starmie, but I also noticed that I had no electric resist, so Donphan came in. The team was at last finished.

haunter

Banned deucer.
This is a very solid team. Just a few suggestions:

1) make Gengar hasty to power up your explosion, it's not going to last long anyway (especially considering sandstorm and life orb, so you should not fear having a -def nature. Also, substitute is pretty useless on it (you're not using focus punch), and will only make it die faster (considering life orb, sandstorm and stealth rock), give it focus blast instead so you'll not be completely walled by Tyranitar.

2) make Tyranitar hasty, it's a waste to lower its nice sp.def when most physical super effective hits are going to kill it anyway.

3) Give Kingdra leftovers, you have substitute to protect from statuses, and leftovers will help it to DD more effectively, also nullifing sandstorm damage.

I personally cannot see the value of Donphan. Yes you have some pokemon that are affected by spikes, but SR/Toxic Spikes don't really affect you too badly. I do agree that you desperately need an electric immunity, so I suggest a ScarfFlygon. With 224 speed evs and an adamant nature you get past opposing empoleon and most agiligross, but Max Jolly gives you a chance to revenge DD Mence. U Turn/Outrage/Stone Edge/Earthquake is a very effective moveset for scouting, revenging, and sweeping, and plugs some gaps you previously had.

Might I recommend Tyranitar's little buddy Gliscor for Donphan? He gives you're team a sweet ground immunity (Empoleon, T-Tar, Metagross are all weak and Gengar likes to die). He also adds great physical defense and can support with Knock Off and Toxic and Stealth Rock (back up rocks can be nice) or he can back up sweep with Swords Dance and the like. Being immune to Electric, Ground and resisting Fighting and using Sand Veil for happy times would help a lot.

Flygon also works very well too. You could also try a supporting Jolteon or Mixed Electivire but they are both weak to ground which you don't want.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm changing Gengar's moveset, but I still can't replace Donphan, cause I don't know to which one I should change....

Please keep rating!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)