A Fairly Shitty TR Team

Okay, so I basically quit 4th Gen OU before Mence was banned and just recently started battling again. I watched battles, read analysis and warstories, yadda yadda yadda, so I decided to make a team to try to get back into battling. And frankly it sucks. I have been sitting on the bottom of the ladder with it and I have absolutely no idea how to make this team better or if I should just ditch it. Hopefully you guys can help with that.

Team at a glance:

The main goal of the team is to incapacitate something with TrickScarf Jirachi then start up TR right away. From there I try to clear out pokemon pokemon that would hinder most of my team, with Eelektross, using Latios as a check to things when TR is down, to finish up with a BU Scrafty or NP Slowking clean-up. My main problems are that, outside of Scrafty, my team takes status poorly and I lose pretty badly to stat up sweepers--there are other problems of course but those are the main ones I noticed.

Jirachi@Choice Scarf
Serene Grace
Adamant-252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 DEF
-Trick
-Trick Room
-U-Turn
-Iron Head

To be honest I had no idea what to use as a TR lead so I figured I'd try out Jirachi since its reasonably bulky. The idea here is to incapacitate the enemy lead with Trick, especially Hippowdon leads, set up TR on the switch, then U-Turn to a different pokemon, usually Eelektross since Jirachi is an EQ magnet but occasionally to Slowking on obvious fire attacks. He also functions as a nice check to Lati@s--or at least, a chance to set up TR again in the face of those pokes. I would like to Trick other pokemon like Blissey and whatnot but really I can never reasonably do so.

Originally I ran Wish over Trick in order to keep my team from being worn down too fast but I found I could never use it and Jirachi was more than dead weight. This new set helps some but has its problems--mainly, I don't outspeed Deoxys-S and Aerodactly leads with Scarf so they can change moves when I Trick them--or worse, hit me with Taunt. I don't know if changing the EVs around would help alleviate this problem or if I'm better off using a different lead.

Eelektross@Expert Belt
Levitate
Quiet-252 Sp. ATK, 252 HP, 4 DEF
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot

My first sweeper, I try to get this guy in fast as possible under TR. I needed a ground resist and a good TR sweeper and since I found this guy pretty good on my doubles TR team I decided to give him a go here.

Eelektross's main job is to get in quick and try to eliminate pokemon that give the rest of my team problems or would wall the others. To that end his set is designed simply to kill things--FT for Ferrothorn, Skarm, Scizor, Forretress, and the stray Amoongus, Thunderbolt for STAB and to kill Jellicent and Gyarados, HP Ice to take out Gliscor (which I found my team had HUGE problems with before I made some changes and still do have some problems with) and kill Garchomp in TR, and Grass Knot for Hippowdon, Swampert, and I guess Quagsire?

The problem I have with this guy is that outside of TR he's rather hard to use, although I'm not sure if that's a legitimate problem. He doesn't quite kill Blissey and Ttar, though, so I've thought of running Brick Break in place of Grass Knot, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea--on one hand I can take out the aforementioned pokemon easier, but on the other it leaves Scrafty and Escavalier more prone to getting walled by Hippowdon and Swampert.

Oh, and Expert Belt because Life Orb was making me die too quickly.

Escavalier@Choice Band
Swarm
Brave-252 ATK, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Def
-Megahorn
-Iron Head
-Pursuit
-Reversal

Okay, the obvious; Escavalier is here so my team doesn't automatically get raped by Reuniclus. Outspeeds it in TR and murders it with Megahorn or Pursuit (but they never switch out when I Pursuit so whatever).

Other than that, he's basically a hard-hitting son of a bitch. Also allows me to check choice Latias, gives me another switch in to a Garchomp's outrage (although I usually switch into Fire Fang like an idiot), and it traps Dark-weak pokemon in TR (in theory). Also a somewhat decent Ttar switch in since Slowking and Latios draw him like no one's business.

Slowking@Life Orb
Regeneration
Quiet-252 Sp. ATK, 212 HP, 44 DEF
-Trick Room
-Nasty Plot
-Boil Over
-Psycho Shock

My second Trick Roomer. While it can set up on Heatran or Infernape or Choice Chandelure's Overheat which Jirachi and Escavalier draw like nobody's business, I usually prefer to save her for late game so as to not get too overwhelmed early. It's your basic Nasty Plot set, and if I can get Eelektross to take out Ferrothorn or Escavalier or Scrafty to take out Lati@s, I can do some damage with NP. Currently I've been wondering whether or not I should replace Life Orb with something else for increased survivability--Regeneration helps, but it only goes so far especially without a healing move. Also I'm having trouble deciding between Psychic and Psycho Shock--with Psycho Shock I have trouble with Conkledurrs who have gotten some Bulk Ups, but with Psychic I lose my last check to CM Reuniclus if Escavalier dies (well there's Scrafty but Focus Blast...).

Scrafty@Leftovers
Shed Skin
Brave-252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 DEF
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Crunch
-Rest

Originally I had Conkledurr in this spot for the priority Mach Punch but I found it had two problems: 1. It died too quick with Flame Orb damage 2. It couldn't do jack shit to ghosts and psychics. I decided to replace it with Scrafty and it's been an improvement thusfar.

Scrafty serves as a check to Tyranitar, which Slowking and Latios draw in frequently. My main goal here is to switch in on something like that after Scrafty's main counters--namely Gliscor--have been taken out and Bulk Up. I try to get as many Bulk Ups as I can while TR is still active so it's easier to function when TR goes down, by then I hope to have enough defense to take out all or a good portion of the enemy's team. After a few BUs I can take on Garchomps (occasionally) and whatever else that comes at me that's not packing CC. It's also another check to Reuniclus although one of my shakier ones due to Focus Blast.

Latios@Expert Belt
Levitate
Timid-252 Sp. ATK, 252 Spd, 4 HP
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-HP Fire
-Thunderbolt

Latios functions mainly as my emergency clean-up pokemon when TR is down. Previously in this spot I had Scarf Landlos but it didn't help me much. Since I noticed my team was having problems with Heatran since I only had Slowking to take its hits, and I needed a ground, electric, and another water resist, as well as a check/revenge killer to Garchomp, I gave Latios a try.

Basically, he picks off whatever I need him to. Whenever I begin a match and I see a Heatran, Infernape, Chandelure, or Ninetales on the enemy's team I switch Latios to my lead since the enemy nearly always leads with one of those pokemon. From there I try to get Jirachi in and go along with my usual strategy. I chose Expert Belt over Specs or Scarf because I needed Latios to do general cleanup and whatnot and being forced out due to choice didn't hep my team much at all, so I run Expert Belt to bluff it. It does get me a few surprise KOs on things like Ferrothorn which makes it easier on my TR sweepers I will admit.

Like I said, this team has been doing absolute shit. One problem I've had is that if I let a pokemon get set up like BU Conkledurr or especially CM Reuniclus I might as well forfeit on the spot. I don't know how I could manage to fit a phazer in do handle it--I could put Dragon Tail on Slowking but that'd be asking too much of it in addition to all its other duties...I think. Also, like I said, only Scrafty can really take status, and it really screws up the rest of my team, but I have no idea how to fit in a cleric or safeguard or what. I've also had trouble against Rain Stall and a multitude of other things.

I wonder why it's shitty...probably because it is a Trick Room team...

Two things. I think BB would be better on Eelektross because T-tard and Blissey/Chansey are more common than Swampert and Hippo. Also, isn't Scarf Jirachi a little dumb with minimum speed?

And you use unconfirmed pokemon names yet you fail to use confirmed move names...(Boil Over->Scald, Wild Bolt->Wild Charge)

ok being essentially a trick room player gonna help you with this ..

trick room requirs solid prediction and i bet you noticed that people try to stall out trick room turns by switchin out ^^ so entry hazard would be a good .. heck even just SR would help a lot .. so i suggest bronzong with a set like this : gyroball/EQ/SR/trick room with ev as you want (i run mine with full attack and he's doing good ^^

Also nasty plot slowking is nice and all but you'r wasting a turn settin'up ... and you'r just
gonna get RK easily and give a chance to your opponent to setup and never give you the opportunity to trick room again .. an all out sweeper would be better with a set like surf/flamethrower/ice beam(psychic) /trick room..

also ..no porygon 2 /rankurusu ?? they'r awesome TR sweepers ^^

the electross looks fine to me ..although i never really played with him .

ah my final point ...the team gets really beaten up by ulgamoth (and you must have notice it) so a TR sweeper with a nice priority would be nice ..Maybe azumarill should be the way to go ..

CM rankurusu is a bitch for all teams so it's not really a major flaw in your team .. just play carefully with escavalier and it should be fine ...

all in all it's a good team you just isn't used yet to trick room playing (wich is the hardest btw)

Togekiss could replace Jirachi, it checks Conkledurp effectively without switching to SlowKing , and can run Heal Bell and a TrickScarf set to aid your problems with status. For Eleketross, the spread is a little awkward, as Wild Bolt is used for such little threats, therefore you could shift the Attack investment to HP as Wild Bolt decimates what its supposed to hit already. Try a Quiet Nature as the majority of Eleketorss' moveset is Special based. Maybe hazards might help,thats all I could offer for a Trick Room team, sorry if its not sufficient =X

Okay, well I guess I could try a bronzong or something of that sort--entry hazards would be nice--but the thing is, who do I replace? Like Z-Rex you suggest some good stuff but I don't really know what I should take out to put those things in. I mean I can't just replace Slowking with Reuniclus or else I get raped by Heatran, nor could I just throw Azumarill over Escavalier or Scrafty without becoming weaker to Ttar and Reuniclus, and I don't know where Bronzong would work (probably would replace Jirachi)...I dunno, I guess I'll just have to try it but if you could specify what best to replace that'd help things.

For Eelektross, I'll try out a fully-special set. I might get some more survivability...tbolt still kills Jellicent, right?

hi! ok team!. just a few quick things. replace jirachi with bronzong. he can do the job so much better with an added bonus of earthquakeproof with levitate. something like this would be good.
item- Leftovers ability-Levitate nature-Relaxed
~ Trick Room
~ Gyro Ball
~ Explosion
~ Light Screen / Reflect / Hypnosis
EVs
252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD (stole this from website :)..)

also escavalier is great but i would prefer ryperior. he serves as a check to reunclis like u wanted but also has the added edge of stab edge quake :)

item-Choice Band/ Life Orb
ability-Solid Rock
nature-Brave evs-(+Atk,-Spd) *0 Spd IV
252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 Def

Stone Edge
Earthquake
swords dance
Megahorn

also how bout magnezone instead of elektross?... pseudo bolt beam, a good steal killer and able to get rid of that pesky earthquake weakness with magnet rise?

Magnezone item- Leftovers
nature-Quiet (+Sp.Atk,-Spd) *2 Spd IV for Hidden Power [Ice], 3 for [Grass]
252 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 6 Sp.Def

Thunderbolt
Hidden Power [Ice]/[Grass]
Substitute
Magnet Rise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)