A favorites balance team (Peaked at 2275)

So this is a team I made with my favorite pokemon. Charizard, Gengar, Dragonite, and Starmie. They will always be in every competitive team or variant I ever make. Fortunately for me, all my favorites have been buffed since I last played DPP.

This team creates a balanced playstyle. Sometimes it'll be on the offensive and sometimes it'll be on the defensive. I've been doing well with it but I feel like I hit a wall. This team doesn't really have a weakness to a single pokemon, but it does have problems with certain teams. I have problems with baton pass teams, bulky stall teams that use special defenders beyond just blissey, and Choice Scarf physical pokemon(terrakion, garchomp). I rarely lose against any other type of teams, but these 3 threats will consistently give me trouble. Any help or advice would be useful, but the 4 favorites of charizard, gengar, starmie, and dragonite cannot be replaced.

So with much further ado here is the team and the explanation:

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- SolarBeam
- Earthquake
- Defog

I think Charizard Y is one of the best anti-leads in the game right now. Common leads like Rotom-W, Greninja, Skarmory, Gliscor, Forrestress, Heatran, will fall pretty quickly. Charizard Y has decent speed, enough over the other leads, to fire a shot while rocks go up, defog, and then finish up the pokemon.
Charizard won't always lead, for example against smeargle, but I have several games where my opponent's lead is dead, no rocks are up, and charizard is sitting strong at 60%. This charizard can bluff x because of Earthquake.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
This guy answers kangaskhan and blissey. He provides great scouting with substitute and invaluable immunities for pivoting. When i need a miracle, it's almost always gengar who pulls through with it. The ghost stab is great and when gengar gets a sub up, he's almost always guaranteed a kill.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake
Dragonite is a great revenge killer, late game finisher, and all around bulky with absolutely no defensive investments. He hits hard out the gate, and a lot times he comes in, goes on a rampage, then switches and mops up with extreme speed. I do wonder if he'll do better as a set-up sweeper sometimes, or as a paralysis tank.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 228 Spd / 252 SAtk / 28 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
Offensive Rapid Spin starmie. I run psyshock over a water attack because of Charizard's sun, and it works out great. Although, sometimes i wonder if it would be better using psychic instead of Psyshock. The EVs are to outspeed all 111, but not 115s. Starmie can go on a tear, but she's usually there to rapid spin, which is extremely important/

Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
This guy has been a break out star on my team. He is an incredible pivot for all my pokemon. Charizard Y only loses to rock and electric, which krookodile handles very well. Krookodile has a lot of weaknesses as well, but all my other pokemon resist them. He comes in, intimidates, does something useful, then lets my other pokemon do their work. He's as bulky as swampert with intimidate on the physical side, and impressively bulky on the special side.

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 248 SDef / 232 Def
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard

The team has a major weakness to physical scarf pokemon, as well as bulky special walls. With wobbuffet, I get a guaranteed kill on the scarfers (and free setup or pp stall on special walls and their heal move.) Now I have a major weakness to dragon attacks unfortunately. Lose one weakness, gain another I guess

Former members:

Magnezone @ Eject Button
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 84 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Now a lot of people see this and wonder why eject button? It's because it gives me a quick pivot to get a pokemon in, without taking any damage. This is very important for dragonite in keeping multiscale in tact, as well as changing the attacks dragonite is locked into. After eject button is used up, Magnezone still functions as a good steel trapper. While magnezone has eject button, he provides an electric/steel typing to any pokemon for a quick switch. It's important to know when to use it, as its quite easy to mess up magnet pull with it.

Top 10 and how I deal with it:

Rotom-W: Usually just dies immediately to Charizard Y, but the Scarf versions can give me trouble. Krookodile can usually stealth rock and hurt him enough to put him out of commission. His volt switching can be stopped once with Magnezone's eject button.

Talonflame: Krookodile takes care of him easily enough, surviving 2 brave birds, or a brave bird and a u-turn. Krookodile can kill or SR up. Dragonite can also always revenge kill.

Aegishlash: Charizard can switch in, take a hit and OHKO. Krookodile can also switch and kill. Must watch out for Sacred Sword tho.

Gengar: Krookodile can take a Focus blast and finsh gengar off. Starmie can kill, and Charizard can check.

Greninja: Usually just dies to charizard, but for those who are smart with it, I have to wear it down until dragonite can revenge kill it.

Kangaskhan: God this guy is insane. So in order to deal with this guy, first you have to find out the set. So, switch in krookodile to intimidate it. switch in gengar as it uses PUP or Return. Switch back to krookodile to figure out crunch, knockoff, shadow claw, or sucker punch. If it doesnt have sucker punch, easy, I kill it with my above average speed pokemon. If it does, but no way to hit gengar, then I will painsplit stall sucker punches pp out.

Scizor: Charizard or Magnezone. Scizor is almost never a problem.

Genesect: I don't recognize this pokemon, and I dont know why it's in OU. But because of magnezone, it's forced to u-turn or die. This gives charizard and gengar free switch ins, which is always very useful.

Heatran: Switches into charizard. Charizard EQs, heatran dies. Defog any SR it puts up.

Excadrill: Scarf versions give me trouble, but otherwise it's too slow to give most of my pokemon trouble.
Pokemon that give the team problems:
Assault Vest Landorus
Assault Vest Tyranitar
Dragonite
Blissey's with Shadow ball
M-Gyrados
Scarf Garchomp
Scarf Terrakion
Scarf Kyurem B
Scarf (insert physical attacker with access to edge/quake) here.
Here is a textbook example of my team doing a lot of things I described. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-68528414
Anti-lead charizard, note that if Deoxys put up rocks instead, I would've defogged the next turn and then killed Deoxys, Magnezone's eject in action, and dealing with kangaskhan.
As mentioned before, this team I feel never really has any problems except against Physical Choice Scarf pokemon, Bulky Special Tanks/Walls not named Blissey, and baton pass teams. I'm not too worried about bp teams because it's not too common, but it would be nice to find a place to fit taunt or encore, or a phase move. My team is fairly fast unboosted, but it cant compete with boosted speed.

I've tried a variety of pokemon before settling on magnezone, because i desperately need a dragon resist. However, I'm keeping an open mind, and would be willing to change out krookodile or magnezone to help my team.

Pokemon I've tried in magnezone's place: Choice Scarf Zapdos, Belly Drum Azumarill, Calm Mind Slurpuff, Belly Drum Slurpuff, Venusaur. I've throught about running static stunfisk against physical scarfers, but I dont think that's going to work. I've gotten to 2100 with Choice ScarfZapdos and Azumarill. Got to around 2000s with Slurpuff and Venusaur. Any input, advice or changes suggested would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm really liking this team here, and grats for making 2.2K. I'm not much of a team rater, but I'll try.

If you want to change out Krook, I would definitely recommend Offensive pivot Landorus. This makes Aegislash without a gimmicky HP ice to be checked easily, and pretty much only allows aegi to switch or die. It's also great against the edge quake mons your team are weak to, and brings the scarfers to -1. It serves as a great check to many threats against your team.

I also think that D-nite could work better as a set up sweeper, So possibly a Dragon Dance set could be well suited. It gives you a mon that allows your team to sweep better, and could use Blissey not carrying Ice beam as set up fodder. Seeing as you also thought D-nite could be a tank, you could also run a bulky DD set, if you'd like.

This does leave you without wall breaking potential, though. Possibly you could run Specs > Eject button on Magnezone. This way you retain a dragon resist and walls become easier to remove, and specs works knowing that steels can't switch. It allows you to easily to fire off a move to remove walls that could hinder D-nite from sweeping.

Sets:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake/E-speed/Roost

Magnezone : Specs > EB

Regarding the Charizard/Charizard Y vs Greninja match-up: Charizard Y will always win against a special attacker variant, but a mixed one is extremely dangerous. I use Rock Slide myself, but both it and Smack Down will OHKO you and I've put a lot of Charizard Y's in their place who foolishly assumed I had a special one.
But, the power of mixed Greninja has not yet been realised by the general public so for now we remain a rare breed xd

landorus wasn't really working for me.

He's not specially bulky enough. And the x4 weakness to ice is killer. Boltbeam is too common, and while krookodile can come in on thunderbolts, tank a non stab x2 ice beam and fire back, landorus cannot.

And if I use AV, i lose stealth rock.

Example:
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus: 276-328 (72.25 - 85.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Krookodile: 151-179 (38.32 - 45.43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

man this team is solid. I want to help you but my highest raking is in the 1970's so take my advice for what its worth.

For your Dragonite I think your set is perfect but I merely offer another set that I started using that worked really well.

EVs: 4 Spd / 252 Atk / 252 HP
Item: Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch/Thunder punch
- Dragon Dance
- Extremespeed

If you are predicting a supereffective move you can just dragon dance and sweep. No need to worry about priority with Espeed and you can take everything else out with a stab dragon claw and an elemental punch of your choice. There is the added difficulty of needing your multiscale in tact, and you have to predict a SE move but if all goes well There is nothing that can stop this thing after one turn of setting up. But I mean charizard baits in the rock move and krokodile might be good ice bait.

Anyway I just wanted to throw this out there.

I was playing around with this team. I noticed that if magnezone is your dragon type resistor, maybe you could switch it out for heatran? That way you can combat the baton pass teams with roar.

^ I'm not such a big fan of heatran, but haha I got to a new peak of 2277 by replacing magnezone with wobbuffet. your post was still helpful :)

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 248 SDef / 232 Def
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard

Perfect response to the scarfers and special tanks.
I'll probably experiment more with the EVS, since I would like more speed. It's a little sad tho, eject button magnezone was such a fun move.

But gah enemy dragonites rips me a new one now. Facing some of my own favorite pokemon made me realize some of the stuff I run is pretty bullshit to fight against. I used to be able to intimidate, eject button, intimidate, while knocking off weakness policy. Fortunately, I dont see a lot of baton pass teams at 2000+, but they still beat me cold, even weaker ones. I tried putting roar on Krookodile which solves the issue, but losing Eq, knockoff, or pursuit hurts way too much.

well baton pass is generally a gimmicky strategy that is usually beaten out by sheer force or a well-timed roar. So i guess it's not such a huge deal that you HAVE to have an answer

Before I get my Team Rater 3000, I just wanna say, What Blissey carries Shadow Ball?

-uses Team Rater 3000-

Ok, a few problems.

For starters, Dragon Claw is superior to Outrage in this situation. Fairies (Klefki, Azumaril) can switch in during an Outrage and set up on your butt. If they switch on a Dragon Claw, at least you can switch into something else.

Starmie really does need a Water move. I mean, if you do switch your Starmie when the sun comes up, you can a,ways spam the hell out of another attack until the sun goes down. In the chance that you do, Surf/Scald/Hydro > Tbolt, though you'll be missing out on the BoltBeam coverage.

Sub on Gengar is not to useful unless your going for the OMG RAAAAGE SubDisable set, but keep Pain Split(Also Megakahn ban). For this, go for Sludge Bomb to deal with the abomination known as Fairies.

Knock Off and Pursuit on the same set is something I tried on a Mega Absol, and I tried it with a replica of your Krookadile. It gets killed miserably by common threats, TFlame and Ninja STAB man, Keep Knock Off, but I recommend Stone Edge (or Rock Slide if your that cautious)

Thanx Team Rater 3000

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)