A Jolt of Fire (misleading title) OU RMT

Hi, all. This is my first OU team, and it's won a little over 50% of its matches on Lab, so it's pretty solid. So, without further ado, here is the team:

Again, it's my first real team, so bear with me.

Swampert @Leftovers
Torrent
240 HP/216 Def/52 SDef <Relaxed>
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Roar

I have honestly loved Swampert from the days of Advance, and found based on my past experiences on Shoddy that he works well. SR is obviously a must as a lead nowadays, and EQ and Ice Beam are for basic coverage.

I am now opting to go for Roar over Taunt mostly because I like to abuse phazing if and when I can get away with it (and Swampy's abysmal Speed doesn't really help Taunt). I'm just a noob like that :P

Gyarados @Leftovers
Intimidate
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP <Adamant>
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

After much consideration and a shout out to Faladran, I changed Ninjask and Electivire for a stronger, more potent GyaraJolt combo, which then became a F/W/G core with Heatran and Shaymin. DDance Gyara by himself completely wrecks many, many Pokemon, which is only added to by his synergy with Heatran and Shaymin, Swampert, and Heatran. Waterfall and EQ are typical of a Gyara set, and Stone Edge is for coverage.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Natural Cure
252 SAtk/252 Speed/4 HP <Modest>
-Seed Flare
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Ice
-Leech Seed

LO Jolteon once held this spot, but I noticed that it felt like dead weight, and instead opted to finish an offensive F/W/G core. Offensive LO Shaymin provides great synergy with Gyarados and Heatran and packs a powerful punch as well. Seed Flare hits most opponents really hard, and Earth Power stops threats such as Heatran. HP Ice lets me take out Dragonite and Flygon, as well as other Grass-types. Meanwhile, with Stealth Rock on my team, the switch-forcing power of Leech Seed is more valuable than ever.

Heatran @Life Orb
Flash Fire
36 HP/220 Speed/252 SAtk <Mild>
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Grass
- Earth Power
- Explosion

With the banning of Latias and Mence to Ubers, Heatran has been given a time to shine---and boy has it shined. Life Orb Heatran is free from the lock/predict/switch of Specs at the sacrifice of a little power and survivability---but Tran wasn't meant to survive a stall war. Go in, sweep, and if Blissey/Snorlax comes in...tick tick BOOM. Fire Blast gets the spot over Flamethrower (lower base power) and Magma Storm (not a trapping Heatran), and HP Grass is for the likes of Swampert, among other things. Earth Power provides coverage and power, as it's the next best thing to Earthquake. Mild wins over Modest and Naive so as not to detract from Explosion's power...and Tran doesnt really need the Speed.

Scizor @Choice Scarf
Technician
12 HP/252 Atk/244 Speed <Jolly>
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

After going through my original team, I noticed that I lacked an effective revenge killer, and swapped out Swords Dance Scizor for Scarfed Scizor. U-Turn and Bullet Punch are excellent moves for both STAB and their respective effects. Since Scizor will be switching out a lot, Superpower is viable as a third move. Finally, Pursuit is there for ovbious reasons. Scarfed Scizor also serves as an effective counter to LO Starmie, something that threatens my F/W/G core. The EV spread allows Scizor to outspeed everything it needs to while adding just a touch of bulk. And hey, let's face it, a STAB Technician Bullet Punch still works wonders (as does STAB U-Turn, both coming off of a Base 130 Attack).

Azelf @Leftovers
Levitate
24 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef/228 Speed <Timid>
-Nasty Plot
-Psychic
-Flamethrower
-Hidden Power Fighting

After multiple matches with this team, I realized that this little guy really makes the team. Nasty Plot Azelf is an absolute monster after 1 boost, and then proceeds to sweep everything that isn't faster than it. STAB Psychic destroys anything that doesn't resist it or isn't named Blissey or Snorlax. Flamethrower hits the Steels and Ghosts that resist it, while HP Fighting hits Dark- and Steel-types as well as Blissey and Snorlax. Lefties was chosen over LO because it allows Azelf to stay in battle longer and sweep better.

The EV spread was taken from the Smogon strategy dex entry for Azelf, which calls for a 30 Speed IV in order to run HP Fighting. It also gives Azelf a little extra bulk. Azelf can also switch in freely on Earthquakes/Earth Powers aimed at Heatran, which helps a whole lot.

And that's it. Since this is my first team, any and all comments/criticisms are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

As soon as I am able to, I will add sprites to my previous post.

I also have a bigger question for Swampert: Taunt or Roar? I was thinking a lack of Taunt qould hurt, but after a bit of research that doesn't seem to always hold true.

In any case, all suggestions will be welcomed and listened to, especially because I am relatively new to competitive battling. Thanks!

For your Swampert I would put Surf in over Ice Beam because it takes care of Aerodactyl among other things which is really annoying. and you DEFFINITELY! want Roar not taunt. Almost every other lead in the Metagame outspeeds swampert so the taunts almost useless. Plus Roar can help a lot in certain situations.

For your Heatran switch Explosion to Dragon Pulse and Fire Blast to Magma storm (If you're looking to trap the opponent)

I like your idea with the ninjask Electivire thing, well played! :)

And threats to your team....... A mix Dragonite and possibly Weavile and Breloom.

Hope I helped :D

Thanks umbrellacorp. Lol I completely forgot about Swampert's abysmal Speed. And I like the Magma Storm/Dragon Pulse idea over Blast/Explosion. Thanks a ton!

Hey I got your message, interesting team. I hope not to dramatically alter the whole team and everything, but I just can't see Ninjask + Electivire being successful. Ninjask, outside the lead position, and even within it is usually not the best idea, as any phazer can just switch in and go to town. Taking 50% from every switch in isn't ideal, either. Electivire also just isn't a good Pokemon, a common misconception about him is that good type coverage is enough to make a sweeper, with just a little speed to boot. The truth is his attacks just don't land hard enough on much of anything without any boost. Of course, yes Ninjask provides him this boost but really the combination is just easily stopped by anything with roar and sr, which most teams have (and if not, all teams have stealth rock). So I am, in fact going to recommend changing them. A much more effective combo, in my opinion is the GyaraJolt combo. Jolteon, similarly to Electivire, can switch in on electric boost and prepare to set up, which Gyarados lures out- in turn, Gyarados sets up on the earthquakes that Jolteon lures. If you're looking for specific sets, these should do nicely.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP, Adamant
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Bounce

Jolteon @ Life Orb
252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (grass)
-Signal Beam
-Wish

This is definitely not the only way to go about the GyaraJolt combo, these sets are merely starting points. By all means, check out their analysis(es) and decided which sets you like. I think the increase in reliable offensive power will do this team nicely.

I won't change any more members of your team, because after more than two member-switches it's not even the same team to me. So I'll just nitpick a bit! I can see you originally had Ice Beam on Pert, but that that was changed as per the suggestion of Umbrellacorp. Let me tell you that Ice Beam is much better on MixPert. He says that surf beats Aerodactyls, which can be annoying- really, aerodactyl is not even a tricky lead to handle, and Ice beam functions in exactly the same way as Surf in terms of beating him. Ice Beam also has much better coverage that surf with earthquake, is useful for checking DD Dragonite and most Flygon, and catching grass types on the switch. Tons of things resist water and ground, but less resist ice and ground.

That's all the advice I have for you, cool first team and I hope this helps.

Thanks a ton Smith. I might deviate a bit on the sets (especially Bounce because I don't really see 2-turn attacks as effective at all), but overall I really appreciate the help. I'll try out GyaraJolt as soon as I can (which I initially considered when making a team but I wanted to give Electivire a shot). I think this will really help when I get a chance to play online. :)

As soon as I get to it, I'll swap Jask and Vire for GyaraJolt in my listing.

(Please note that the following rate will take into account the additions of both Gyarados and Jolteon).

With Smith's suggestions, your team is looking pretty solid. You have enough unique and creative sets to avoid being predictable, and a good offensive core to break through opposing teams. In fact, the only suggestion I have to make at the moment is a minor nitpick on Heatran's set. It could really benefit from having Explosion added into its moveset, because this will give you a way to take out the two best counters to LO Azelf: Snorlax and Blissey. Since this is very helpful in garnering a higher success rate for an Azelf sweep, I'd like to recommend using this Heatran set instead:

[box]

Heatran (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Spe / 252 SpA
Modest nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Grass
- Earth Power
- Explosion[/box]
Magma Storm is good on the HeaTrap set, but it honestly isn't worth using such a low-accuracy move for the sole purpose of taking down special walls. Dragon Pulse is also much less useful in the current metagame, as Salamence and Latias, its two main targets, have now been banished to Ubers and FWG cores have become standard. For these reasons, a less specialized LO set would be more beneficial for your team, with Flamethrower for solid and powerful STAB, and Explosion to take out any walls that switch in to sponge your attacks. One of the useful things about this set is that since it doesn't rely on trapping like sets that utilize Magma Storm do, it functions equally effectively against all kinds of opponents, no matter what individual Pokemon they use.

Good luck with your team!

First, what nature is your Shaymin? I'd suggest Timid.

Ok, now, the rate. The other raters have made this a very solid team that can stand up to almost anything. I just have a couple small changes to suggest. First, give Scizor Band instead of Scarf. It's already a great revenge killer, and really want more Bullet Punch power insead of Speed. If you want to make full use of a Scarf, replace Bullet Punch with Iron Head. Also, change the Modest Heatran to Mild so that Explosion actually can hurt things not named Blissey. And another thing about Tran; change flamethrower to fire blast. I know it seems risky, but blast actually gets you a lot of KOs you'd miss running flamethrower over it.

Can't think of anything else right now. Hope this helps and good luck with your team!

First, what nature is your Shaymin? I'd suggest Timid.

Ok, now, the rate. The other raters have made this a very solid team that can stand up to almost anything. I just have a couple small changes to suggest. First, give Scizor Band instead of Scarf. It's already a great revenge killer, and really want more Bullet Punch power insead of Speed. If you want to make full use of a Scarf, replace Bullet Punch with Iron Head.
The real bonus of Scarf is that Scizor can outspeed a lot of un scarfed threats like Starmie that can give this team real issues and U-Turn out keeping momentum up, also it has a fast Pursuit for things like Gengar. Sure it loses power but sithsniper17 is making a good choice here. Bullet Punch Still has Priority and it allows Scizor to fake a Band.
I really don't have anything more to add to the team as the other raters have done very well. GL with the team sithsniper17.

I'm not that good at changing complete members, but just for some small things: on swampert, I'd replace Ice Beam over Surf - Surf gets STAB, and by itself has pretty good neutral coverage.

Also, on Heatran, I'd recommend Fire Blast over Flamethrower on Heatran - if you're running Life Orb, you'll want to do as much damage as possible, and it quite needs FB's power. The acc loss can hurt, but I barely notice any misses on it. Also, I don't know if you'll be using HP Grass a lot, but in the case you don't, I'd recommend Substitute over it - it eases prediction, and can take out some would-be counters (like a Starmie which could hurt otherwise (explode on it), or a Celebi trying to Earth Power you, only to find you KOing first with Fire Blast/Flamethrower). Also, I'd run Timid over Modest, as it will allow you to outspeed slower Celebi and other Pokémon not expecting you to be fast.

Edit: On Heatran, at all costs don't run an attack-lowering nature, as it takes away from Explosion.

Heatran @Life Orb
Flash Fire
36 HP/220 Spd/252 SAtk <Modest>
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Grass
- Earth Power
- Explosion

Modest wins over Naive because me likey power...and Tran doesnt really need the Speed.
(Things in red are where I nitpick. Blue... not so much.)
You're right, with the EV spread and set, Heatran doesn't need the Speed... But it does need a nature other than Modest to help with Explosion's power.
You MAY lose some power with the -Atk nature it has right now. If you want some extra Speed (Heatran almost always needs it to help take out slower Pokemon with this set. Choice Scarf is totally different.) Even though you like the power boost that the Modest nature gives, you don't want to drop explosion's power at all by running a -Atk nature. You can try the -Def, +SpA or -SpDef, +SpA natures (my memory is shot, as I forget what they are... >_<) if you still want the power boost. Otherwise, try Naive and see how that works out instead. If you do use Naive, try Fire Blast for more power instead of Flamethrower.

Also... does that EV spread say Speed of Special Defense? I can't tell the way it is right now?

Thanks for the rates guys.

@smashlloyd20: ahaha I need to fix that. Shaymin actually runs a Modest nature so as to gain more firepower. I also forgot about Modest's attack drop, so I'll change it to Mild. However, @McNUTTY has a point, which was the reason why I ran Scarf Scizor over Band Scizor. It needs the Speed more than the attack. And as for Heatran, I don't miss the extra firepower one bit---I've already tried FB over Thrower, and I don't like the decreased accuracy on it. So I'll stick with Flamethrower.

@McNUTTY: you basically defined my reason for running Scarf over Band, and thanks!

@More Cowbell: Surf really only helps versus Aero, whereas Ice Beam has better all-around coverage vs. other leads (and prevents Grass types from fully countering Swampert). I'll also try out Substitute. Thanks!

Nice team, I really like the Shaymin sprite. My only suggestion for this team would be using a stronger fire move on Heatran. I know you say you don't like the accuracy of Fire Blast but how can you pass all that power up when you're using a life orb and a modest nature. At the very least use Overheat because off that massive Sp.Atk stat it will dent anything, even when resisted. Btw why modest over mild or rash when you pack Explosion?

Sorry about the confusion, I fixed Heatran's nature and will try out Substitute when I can. I'll also give Fire Blast another shot, and if it works out then Fire Blast over Flamethrower.

@Vapor Trails: it says Speed sorry for the confusion

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, this is an excellent team you have here and after those amazing rates by Smith and Faladran, there's pretty much nothing left for me to suggest as you're team boasts great coverage at this point. However, seeing as you PMd me requesting a team rate a while ago, I feel that I need to post and say something that may be beneficial to your team. I see a very slight offensive Gyarados weakness and seeing as the rest of your team can nicely handle Breloom, the main reason of using Bounce on your own Gyarados, I suggest replacing the aforementioned move with Stone Edge which could possibly help against opposing Gyarados. Other than that minor suggestion, there's nothing left to suggest, so good luck!

I don't see too many problems with this team, however, I suggest you run Stone Edge instead of Bounce on Gyarados, afterall, Stone Edge helps counter other Gyarados's

After some testing, I've decided to make the following edits:
Heatran- Flamethrower --> Fire Blast
Heatran- no Substitute (I don't find it to be all that useful, and I'm NOT running Leftovers over LO)
Gyarados- Bounce --> Stone Edge

Thanks for the rates guys.

@smashlloyd20: ahaha I need to fix that. Shaymin actually runs a Modest nature so as to gain more firepower. I also forgot about Modest's attack drop, so I'll change it to Mild. However, @McNUTTY has a point, which was the reason why I ran Scarf Scizor over Band Scizor. It needs the Speed more than the attack. And as for Heatran, I don't miss the extra firepower one bit---I've already tried FB over Thrower, and I don't like the decreased accuracy on it. So I'll stick with Flamethrower.
True about ScarfZor, I didn't really consider the merits of that set because I've never seen it before XD

P.S. This is my 100th post!

ScarfZor does much better on this team than BandZor anyway, otherwise my lack of an effective revenge killer/LO Starmie counter wouldve doomed the team. And congratulations!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)