*Re-bumped, as Mew gets Trick now ^_^*

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Hasty, Synchronize, 252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 SpDef
~ Explosion
~ Hypnosis
~ Me First
~ Trick

The Basics
All right, this is a very experimental set, and I haven't been able to truly test this correctly, because Trick is not listed in Mew's move pool on Shoddy Battle. However, Trick is listed as a potential option in Mew's "Pokemon of the Week" entry: http://serebii.net/potw-dp/151.shtml. If this is a mistake, and Mew does not get the move Trick, please disregard this post or customize it to work without the move.

The idea of this lead is to completely screw with the opposing team. Every single move here has the potential to counter a ton of opposing strategies, giving you ample time to set up a victory. Max HP is a given on Mew, as is Max Speed. Even with a Choice Scarf equipped, you want to have as much speed as possible for two reasons. One, you will most likely Trick the Choice Scarf to the opponent, leaving you with your normal speed. Second, and of notable importance, it will allow you the jump on a single Dragon Danced Rayquaza (and, consequentially, a Choice Scarf Groudon or Kyogre) if you still have the Choice Scarf equipped. Ergo, you could cut down on the Speed and leave it at 290 to out-speed all Adamant forms of Rayquaza. This gives you the option of going with a defense-boosting nature, as well. While it is probably safer to go with Max Speed, the choice is yours between speed and durability.

Now, the moves. Think of this as a conceptual lead. With Max Speed and a Choice Scarf, this will be going before everything at the beginning. You have three killer moves at your dispense:

Hypnosis is a staple of nearly all sets for Mew, and one of the best ideas to lead off. Since you are faster than essentially all of the competition, you can safely put your opponent to sleep if it is a threat that your other handy little moves cannot handle. In particular, stat-up sweepers can be easily shut down. Particularly harmful threats can be shut down, as well, if you are caught unprepared. It simply serves as an all-purpose threat to the opposing team.

Where this set gets a little more interesting is with the introduction of Me First. Me First is a unique trick for Mew, as it can out-speed anything with its Choice Scarf and throw attacks back at the user for 1.5x damage. Obviously, this is not the move of choice against leading Kyogre, but it serves a very unique purpose with specific Pokemon. For instance, a Dragon Danced Rayquaza will not like to see a "doubly-powered" Outrage flying right back at him. Other interesting uses are against the likes of Mewtwo (Shadow Ball), Latios and Latias (Shadow Ball, Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor), and several more. Even Groudon would hate to eat one of his own fire attacks under the sun. Another little unique toy is that this will out-speed the rare seen Modest Choice Scarf Gengar Lead (Shadow Ball), as well as Deoxys Attack Form (Dark / Ghost Attacks). Essentially all Psychic Pokemon that carry Shadow Ball or Dark Pulse for the Uber Metagame will be thrashed. Take note -- this is why it is important to have a Hasty Nature as opposed to a Timid or Jolly Nature. Once in awhile, the lowered defense will screw you up, sure. But, the near-KOs one will painfully endure due to a lowered attack statistic for Explosion and Outrage or special attack statistic for Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse will far outweigh the lowered defense. You want to make sure your attack statistics is as high as you can afford it to be for throwing these moves back at the enemy in a special-offensive metagame. However, make sure not to lower its special attack! One is far more likely to switch into a special attack in the uber metagame (and that is the reason behind the maxed HP). Keep in mind, though, that it is perfectly viable to max out attack, special attack, or split between them as opposed to HP to improve your power in regards to Me First and / or Explosion.

Finally, the third unique weapon, and probably the most crippling: Trick. Trick has the ability to royally screw over all of the walls for which the Uber Metagame calls, such as Giratina, Lugia, Forretress, and Blissey. Additionally, it has the added ability of effectively demoralizing most of Mew's known counters. If the enemy sends in something with Sleep Talk or Natural Cure to absorb a predicted Hypnosis, it will swiftly meet its end with Trick. If the enemy tries to set up, make them eat a Choice Scarf. If Forretress tries to lay those nasty Toxic Spikes, have him set them up for eternity. Nobody can reliably "wall" Mew, and with Trick up your sleeve, you can cripple absolutely anything that isn't going to take out Mew in one direct hit (which, surprisingly, is most of the Uber Metagame). Moreover, you have the advantage of surprise -- most players will send in a hazer to try to whirlwind or roar you away, only to be stuck with a Choice Scarf. The best part is that you can play the game of Give-and-Take throughout the match, giving that potent sweeper a worthless support item or that nasty wall a worthless choice item. Hell, you can even sacrifice Mew to sleep by tricking a Choice Scarf onto Darkrai. In the end, Trick is an extremely underrated move in the metagame, and downright unseen in the Uber Metagame.

Between Hypnosis, Me First, and Trick, you have your opponent guessing all over the place. Now, after all is said and done, and you have screwed up your enemy to the most of your ability, its time to leave the scene. You know its coming, you dread it every day. That's right, folks. It's time for an Explosion.

Hopefully, this can be tested, and it will be a real bummer if Serebii made a mistake in adding Trick to Mew's Other Options. But, hey, it's worth a shot. Have fun with the mind games, =p.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Mew doesn't learn Trick. it gets Role Play instead. Don't say XD-I checked

Without trick, the effectiveness of this set is reduced sharply. Maybe you can replace it with U-Turn to escape from unfavorable matchups? Again, without trick, this becomes less of a crippler and more of a random annoyance.

Yeah, luckily, it can still pull off U-Turn, Taunt, or something of the sort. Well, besides that annoying circumstance, is it any good?

I believe it would be very useful in the OU environment - but Mew is an uber, so I find its use to be a hard to justify (especially without trick). I don't know very much about the uber environment though, so I'm not in the best position to judge.

Transform would be interesting since you would then outspeed the enemy, but they will get a free hit/switch on you, and can simply switch into an appropriate counter (ditto has the same problem, which is why he is rarely, if ever, used)

Mew has superior speed, and can more effectively use Me First and Explosion.

Smeargle actually has trick/switcharoo though >.>;

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I believe you can, but the next turn you struggle unless the pokemon you transofrmed into has transform (lol)
If you don't know how it works, don't guess. If you are holding a Choice item and Transform, you can select a new move.

This isn't a fantastic lead as it doesn't have diversity beyond the first move. It has potential, sure, but imho it'll work slightly later as it requires a lot of prediction to work, and its advantage is in the element of surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)