ORAS OU A Reasonable Team Of Misfits

Hi. My first singles team is finally complete. I prefer doubles, but I thought I would have a shot at singles. Here's my team:

Thundurus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot
- Agility

Thundurus-t is the main sweeper of my team and he can take on many popular megas like Mega Venusaur, Mega Blastoise and Mega Sceptile. [1] I often find him coming out the most out of any of my team. [2] His flying type is extremely useful, avoiding Earthquakes, a common STAB move. [3]

Wolverine (Excadrill) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill is the perfect Hazard/setter/remover. He can use both rapid spin, and Stealth rock. [1] Earthquake is an extremely great STAB move, dealing plentiful damage. [2] Iron Head is another STAB move, used primarily to damage flying types in a pinch. [3]

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Hydro Pump
- Knock Off

Azumarill is an okay tank that can wall Dragon and Fire types, such as Mega Charizard X, talonflame and Garchomp. [1] Hydro Pump and Play Rough are a brilliant STAB moves that can 1HKO many fire/dragon types. [2] Azumarill might be replaced for a better water type, as clefable is a much better tank.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Clefable works wonders. It walls dragons, tanks almost anything and heals my team. [1] Wish can be used to switch into Thunderous-T as he is often low on health. [2] Moonblast is a good STAB heavy hitting dragon types. [3]

Punchy (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance

Breloom is great. He uses Spore to force pokemon to sleep and then hits them with Mach Punch. You've probably heard this all before. [1] Life orb and Swords Dance help Mach Punch 1HKO all pokemon in his path. [2] Bullet Seed is to get past Substitute users. [3]

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Fake Out

Sableye is my final pokemon. He is a utility pokemon, used to take out healers like Vaporeon, Blissey and Clefable. [1] Will-o-wisp burns steel and grass types for reasonable damage and knock off helps pick off pokemon with Leftovers/Life orbs. [2] Recover helps keep Mega Sableye alive longer. [3]

I hope I have made no mistakes in this post. Constructive Criticism is great. Thank you!

hey man, thats a decent looking team. that being said, youve got a couple mons that dont quite fit/are outclassed.

thundy-t is usually outclassed by plain old thundurus. The extra 10 points in speed really makes a difference, letting thundy outrun lat@s's and other base 110s, which means that running agility isn't really necessary. instead, you run focus blast, to bop heatrans, TTars, and excadrills. While hat 145 spA seems too good to pass up, the speed is more important usually. if you dont like running focus miss, dark pulse can be run to hit latis, mews, and other psychis. tbh tho, focus blast is way better, even w the miss chance.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

MegaSab is usually only found on full on stall, which your team definitely is not. however, your team really doesnt like gengar, with nothing wanting to switch in. so, im gonna recommend taunt stallbreaker gliscor with knock off. between gliscor and thundy, you should be able to dick on stall pretty hard, which is always enjoyable. the given ev spread lets gliscor outspeed breloom and bisharp, survive a +2 bisharp LO sucker punch, and maximize poison heal recovery. this mon will also take on bulky mons, while providing some key defensive utility.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Toxic

Finally, your clefable set could definitely be improved. unaware is only really necessary on full stall, similar to megasab. instead, magic guard CM should be used. it gives you a very very good secondary wincon, as thundy might not be able to sweep every game. plus, twaving shit is a great strategy, 10/10 recommend. this clef can help take on kyub, which is very scary to your team.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast

if you have any questions/criticism, PM me! i hope i helped!

Thx lightninging !
The advice really helped me. I like the Gliscor moveset a lot!
Any ideas for a mega? It seems a bit of a waste not to have one. Thx again!
the lack of a mega was bothering me too! but i didnt wanna swap out something else, considering id already changed 2 mons. the first think i thought of is swapping azumarill out. maybe megabro? still takes on charX, talon, and chomp. plus, twave spam is great. mega gallade could fit over breloom as alternative SDer; while usually inferior to megacham, its ability to boost helps give it a solid niche.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
a reasonable team of miscreants is what i think this team is! [: jokes aside, i honestly think that it's quite a well fit team with a well made focal point. your team's main aim is to weaken thundy-t's checks and counters as well as providing chances and preventing overload of hazards on your end so that you can effectively deal with the team on the opposite side of the field. mega sab + drill helps to keep hazards out of sight as well as being great pivots since they help each other check their problematic checks so that you can keep them alive. not much needs to be altered for this team honestly cause it's quite decently well done but i do have some suggestions that might give you an edge in games when you're using this team.

azu on this team is great. it provides pivotal abilities such as being able to live specially offensive hits with avest as well as hitting many offensive mons on different ends of the spectrum. but you wanna know what does that job better? keldeo. therefore, my first suggestion is that we swap out avest azu for specs keldeo. this is vitally important because it is a first and foremost a great lure in for electric moves such as volt switch and discharge which are both fairly common in the current metagame, allowing you to safely lure them in and switch into your thundy-t to abuse this momentum by either setting up to hit them hard or fast depending on the team type. as well as being able to abuse scalds and the deceptively high chance of burn. burning past physically offensive mons are a huge key to winning since it means that should your main sweeper in the form of thundy-t goes down, you will still have your backup checks like keldeo and breloom in the wings ready to take flight.

lastly, some ev and set reoptimizations: i just don't think that clef set will work on your more offensively oriented bulky balance team. by using that set, you lose a lot of vital momentum that this team desperately needs and that's not something good for the team. furthermore, with the recent suggestion to remove your spdef pivot in the form of azu, i suggest that we totally change clef's set from unaware cleric to magic guard pivot. why this change is good because 1. it gives you a good win con when keldeo has broken down most of the opposing threats on the opposing team and 2. it helps spread twave to ensure some speed control because your only offensive check is your thundy-t after it sets up one speed boost and that's a shaky offensive check at best. we need something more solid and magic guard clef will do just the trick.

next, a minor change would be using foul play over knock off on msab. this is simply because you don't have a very solid tflame check and your best check is thundy-t which is shaky because you want to be able to sweep with it, not allow to weaken and lose your chance to sweep because of that. other than that, your team is just fine the way it is as long as your play it properly and deal with threats like talonflame amply. hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/

Thx zbr - The advice was great! I Over-use Keldeo a bit, as he's my 2nd favorite pokemon (Ralts isn't good for fighting), but I'll try him in the team.
Thx again!

Reactions: zbr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)