A slightly odd team.

The title refers to a number of rather strange movesets, to say nothing of the fact that there is an NFE in a team that fully intends to be competitive.

But it works. I wouldn't use it if it didn't.

Team at a glance:

Team in detail:

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk/6 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

The most important thing for a lead, in my mind, is to get momentum on my side ASAP. And what better way to do that besides just flat-out killing everything in sight? Ambipom and Mesprit die right on the spot (well, after a nonlethal Fake Out in the former case, anyway) and Uxie is very badly hurt. Most opponents aren't willing to risk Heracross going to hide behind a Sub, so their lead often doesn't get a chance to do anything. And Heracross can often come back later on to revenge kill.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP/202 Def/56 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Amnesia
- Power Whip
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

Amnesiagrowth. This thing's ability to come in on any physical sweeper not named Heracross or Swellow and proceed to Sleep the incoming victim, THEN proceed to neutralize its biggest weakness and screw up everything for the opponent never ceases to amaze me. After a single Amnesia, this thing basically has Uxie's special defenses - with instant recovery. STAB Power Whip can do a lot of damage, even with no Attack investment, and even against things that resist it.

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Why Murkrow? Mostly because no one ever knows how to react to it, or what it's capable of. Especially the latter. While most realize that leaving Heracross in on it may not be the best of ideas, no one quite expects its Brave Bird to be able to 2HKO a Spiritomb. It's also an amazing revenge killer, nailing them regardless of whether they attack or switch, and can really screw with stall teams, which often are caught completely off their guard as they get Taunted and Pursuited to death. And Insomnia makes Murkrow perhaps the best switch-in to Venusaur/Exeggutor the game has to offer.

Alakazam @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 42 HP/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Substitute
- Encore

Ah, SubEncore Alakazam. I'd say this is the best Alakazam set out there, for its ability to screw over all the things that try to Sub as you bring it in. Its sheer power overwhelms a large majority of the Pokemon in the tier, and a lot of the ones it doesn't will not like having their moves Encored. Probably the MVP of my team. This thing can easily take down two Pokemon in an average game, maybe even three.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP/36 Def/10 Spd/216 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Recover
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

The moves on this Milotic may be those of a standard set, but note the EV spread. Even as specially defensive as it is, it can still handle certain common physical sweepers as the need arises. Ice Beam is for Altaria, who would otherwise walk all over this team. It's a pretty standard Milotic, but Milotic isn't the #1 Pokemon in UU for nothing.

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 120 HP/154 Atk/236 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Extremespeed
- Morning Sun
- Roar

By and large, standard Morning Glory Arcanine. A relatively new addition, this is meant to plug up some of the holes the team had before, in particular Registeel who used to wall this team to eternity once Heracross was dead. Roar may seem odd given the lack of entry hazards on this team, but it helps occasionally in dealing with things trying to set up. Its biggest issue is that it gives certain Pokemon a very easy switch-in, some of which this team had problems with already anyway.

So...thoughts? Rates? Fixes? Flames?

Threat List (non-threats in black, moderate threats in orange, serious threats in red)

Absol - Usually Tangrowth will deal with this, though Arcanine could work.

Aggron - Haven't faced one, though in theory Tangrowth/Milotic/Heracross should work.

Alakazam - This thing all but requires a sacrifice to take down, sometimes even two.

Altaria - As a cleric, can get annoying very quickly. Heracross and Milotic can finish it off if it doesn't Roost, but it's not about to stay in on them.

Ambipom - Usually seen as a lead, in which case Heracross one-shots it. If they switch out, once it comes back in, Tangrowth.

Arcanine - Milotic.

Azumarill - Tangrowth.

Blastoise - Usually Milotic. If it's Rest-Talk, Alakazam.

Blaziken - lol

Chansey - Heracross. If Heracross is dead, Murkrow.

Claydol - Murkrow.

Clefable - Can be trouble if Heracross is dead. I'll usually switch in Murkrow or Alakazam, but doing so risks an offensive set.

Cloyster - Usually takes a Close Combat. If it's not a lead, in comes Tangrowth.

Donphan - Tangrowth. Ice Shard does nothing.

Drapion - Nothing specific, but it gets worn down easily enough.

Dugtrio - lol

Exeggutor - Murkrow.

Feraligatr - Tangrowth.

Hariyama - Tangrowth. Alakazam can revenge if necessary.

Heracross - Three ways of killing it and I still have to be wary. Arcanine is the standard switch-in, and Alakazam/Murkrow can revenge if it isn't Scarfed, but it'll often get a kill in.

Hitmonlee - Tangrowth.

Hitmontop - Tangrowth/Arcanine.

Houndoom - Milotic. This is where Milotic's EV spread comes in handy.

Kabutops - Tangrowth.

Kangaskhan - Tangrowth.

Lanturn - Usually Milotic. Heracross works very well if it's alive.

Leafeon - Arcanine, Heracross if it's alive. If it comes in on Milotic I might consider Ice Beaming it.

Ludicolo - In the rain, this thing is serious trouble. I just have to hope I can bring Tangrowth in on a Kabutops and get Amnesia; otherwise all I can do is sacrifice Murkrow and Arcanine to get priority hits.

Mesprit - Usually a lead, so Heracross one-shots it. Haven't faced one outside the lead position yet.

Milotic - Usually I'll bring my own Milotic in and Toxic it. Once it's out, Tangrowth tends to keep it away. Can get a little annoying nonetheless.

Miltank - Ugh. Hopefully Heracross is alive when this thing comes out. If not, I'll usually try to play around it as best I can, but it tends to annoy my team greatly.

Mismagius - Oh boy. Typically I'll bring Alakazam in on it and Encore its set-up move of choice, but if the opponent sees this coming, I'm in a lot of trouble. Hopefully Arcanine is healthy enough to take a hit.

Moltres - Milotic. Heracross can revenge if it's available.

Omastar - Haven't faced one yet.

Primeape - Usually this tends to Scarf U-turn, so Arcanine. If it uses a different move, Arcanine can survive and I'll respond as necessary.

Registeel - Arcanine, Heracross if alive.

Rhyperior - Tangrowth.

Rotom - Can be trouble if I mispredict. Alakazam doesn't like holding a Choice item, while Murkrow has some trouble with Subs. Heracross risks paralysis, which I don't think is worth the Guts boost.

Sceptile - Arcanine, Tangrowth if I'm sure it's not a special variant.

Scyther - Arcanine.

Slowbro - Can play around it.

Spiritomb - Murkrow.

Steelix - Haven't faced one yet, though theorymon would suggest Milotic or Tangrowth.

Swellow - Usually a lead. If not, Arcanine.

Tangrowth - Murkrow.

Torterra - Tangrowth.

Toxicroak - Arcanine.

Ursaring - Tangrowth.

Uxie - Megahorn to the face. Murkrow on the odd occasion that it's outside the lead position.

Venusaur - Murkrow.

Weezing - Alakazam.

This team very well made so what I'm about to say should be only considered a suggestion.

I strongly belive that the Stealth Rock support is a necessity in today's metagame and acts just like the 7th Pokémon of a team.
This said, I'd replace your Morning Glory Arcanine with a specially defensive Steelix.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spe) [and 0 Spe IVs]
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball/Stone Edge/Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion/Filler

This thing is awesome. It is able to set up SR (takes only 6% when switching on them) and can easily absorb T.Waves and Toxic. Thanks to the high defensive bulk on both sides and 11 resistances it's able to counter more pokés than Arcanine, especially those that gave you problems such as Rotom, Mismagius (most of them lack Hp Fighting nowadays) and Altaria.

The choice between Gyro Ball and Stone Edge is quite tricky. The first one has a high base power against most opponents and is a reliable way to deal with Mismagius. Stone Edge grants an impressive coverage (yeah, the infamous Edge-Quake combo..) but Crunch is a viable alternative if you want a better way to deal with both Ghosts and other Psychic types.

On the last slot Explosion can be used to take out every opposing pokémon that is giving you troubles and if you are good at predicting Steelix will score at least a KO per match.

By using the Iron Snake your Heracross doesn't need EQ anymore so you can replace it with something else such as Sleep Talk, Pursuit or Night Slash if you want to counter those Ghosts that run Hidden Power Fighting.

In general Steelix packs great synergy with Milotic and Tangrowth and together they can deal with every single UU Pokémon. The lack of priority shouldn't be a huge problem to overcome as you run very fast team members and Murkrow packs Sucker Punch.

Hope this helped,
Good Luck

P.S.: I love that anti-lead Heracross.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Arcanine, especially with SR on your side and SR not on their side, (which is going to be very common scenario, considering you don't have a spinner or someone to put up rocks/spinblock) is not going to repeatedly take beatings from Scyther.

Meru is right, and so will Murkrow, especially with Life Orb damage. I would really replace Arcanine with Hitmontop. It can spin Rocks away, and is a better user of priority. It also helps your huge Rock weakness.

Just a suggestion, nice team though. Looks like it's doing really well for you =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)