Abomasnow

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I pair my Aboma with Hitmontop for Rapid Spin, and it's also useful against Lickylicky. The bad thing is two Flying weakness.

Magic Coat is there to make sure you do get a chance.
I'd use a Focus Sash as lead though.
Magic Coat does you no good against attacks, which is the main issue, anything that switches in will no doubt be faster and kill you before your recovery options have a chance to take effect. Subs protect from status so you'll have one aspect of Magic Coat covered.

^Rest and Choice Scarf sucks if used on the same set, as so many things can easily set up on it.. Sleep counter being reset upon switching out doesn´t help.
I would think the player would be intelligent enough to not leave Abomasnow in play after switching it in and using Rest.

Again, the entire merit behind Rest with Choice Scarf is to ensure Abomasnow stays alive. Assuming you're using Abomasnow in conjunction with other Ice types for a hail team, it will fall apart if Tyranitar, Ninetales, Politoed, or Hippowdon come in later and your Abomasnow is too weak to survive to change the weather. Ensuring weather vs weather matches go one way or the other is heavily dependant on who gets the last say in the weather forecast. Rest ensures that, and serves no other meaningful purpose, but it is a valid one.

Now, if you can tell me what you'd rather throw on to a Scarf Abomasnow as a fourth move choice, I'm all ears.

Don Honchkrorleone

I would think the player would be intelligent enough to not leave Abomasnow in play after switching it in and using Rest.

Again, the entire merit behind Rest with Choice Scarf is to ensure Abomasnow stays alive. Assuming you're using Abomasnow in conjunction with other Ice types for a hail team, it will fall apart if Tyranitar, Ninetales, Politoed, or Hippowdon come in later and your Abomasnow is too weak to survive to change the weather. Ensuring weather vs weather matches go one way or the other is heavily dependant on who gets the last say in the weather forecast. Rest ensures that, and serves no other meaningful purpose, but it is a valid one.

Now, if you can tell me what you'd rather throw on to a Scarf Abomasnow as a fourth move choice, I'm all ears.
Maybe HP Fire...

I would throw any move over Rest on a Scarf set.

I understand teh merit of keeping your weather starter alive, but if you Choice lock yourself into Rest that basically means a dead poke. And in Gen5 sleep resets on the switch so if you do Rest you have to stay in until you wake up again which will get you killed or set up on. If you do wake up early, whoop de do, now you get to click Rest again and fall asleep.

Don Honchkrorleone

I would throw any move over Rest on a Scarf set.

I understand teh merit of keeping your weather starter alive, but if you Choice lock yourself into Rest that basically means a dead poke. And in Gen5 sleep resets on the switch so if you do Rest you have to stay in until you wake up again which will get you killed or set up on. If you do wake up early, whoop de do, now you get to click Rest again and fall asleep.
I think he uses it paired with some sort of Cleric...

I understand teh merit of keeping your weather starter alive, but if you Choice lock yourself into Rest that basically means a dead poke.
As opposed to what, exactly?

The moment you would have used Rest is when Abomasnow is going to die anyway. I myself have never used Rest unless Abomasnow was below 25% health and I knew would either die from another switch in to Stealth Rock, or would be too weak to survive an unresisted attack. At least then you have an option to alter the weather in future turns, and have a meat shield to switch in to as opposed to -1 Pokemon. Look at Abomasnows viable moves it can use on a choice scarf set:

Blizzard
Ice Punch

Wood Hammer
Seed Bomb
Energy Ball
Grass Knot

Earthquake
Focus Blast
Brick Break

Rock Slide
Shadow Ball

You have Abomasnows two given STAB moves, ice and grass, and without the use of Earthquake, Abomasnow loses the ability to threaten other oppossing Pokemon that may threaten or wall Abomasnow, but would otherwise not outspeed it unless given a +1 in speed or scarfed. Because Wood Hammer is a constant grass STAB (not having to rely on static Grass Knot) that is stronger than Energy Ball, and because Earthquake is physical, running a physical variant is likely the better choice, both of which can use Blizzard or Ice Punch given a slight difference in EV spread, depending on what you want.

What do you have left?

You have Focus Blast which has terrible accuracy and redundant coverage on many things in the face of ice/ground coverage anyway. It will also likely go against your EV spread if you do not make EV investments for Blizzard and a trait change. Brick Break is optional to destroy screens, but is inferior to Focus Blast aside from this. You have Shadow Ball which will hit nothing really notable. Rock Slide would likely be your best fourth slot option.

That being said, it begs the question. Would you rather have that extra coverage on a Pokemon that doesn't have the flexibility to change its moves because it is locked by Choice Scarf anyway, or help preserve it in the event that your opponent is saving Tyranitar or Politoed until late game to change the weather on you so he can sweep your team with Doryuuzu or Manaphy.

Don Honchkrorleone

As opposed to what, exactly?

The moment you use would have used Rest is when Abomasnow is going to die anyway. I myself have never used Rest unless Abomasnow was below 25% health and I knew would either die from another switch in to Stealth Rock, or would be too weak to survive an unresisted attack. At least then you have an option to alter the weather in future turns, and have a meat shield to switch in to as opposed to -1 Pokemon. Look at Abomasnows viable moves it can use on a choice scarf set:

Blizzard
Ice Punch
Wood Hammer
Seed Bomb
Energy Ball
Grass Knot
Earthquake
Focus Blast
Brick Break
Rock Slide
Shadow Ball

You have Abomasnows two given STAB moves, ice and grass, and without the use of Earthquake, Abomasnow loses the ability to threaten other oppossing Pokemon that may threaten or wall Abomasnow, but would otherwise not outspeed it unless given a +1 in speed or scarfed. Because Wood Hammer is a constant grass STAB (not having to rely on static Grass Knot) that is stronger than Energy Ball, and because Earthquake is physical, running a physical variant is likely the better choice, both of which can use Blizzard or Ice Punch given a slight difference in EV spread, depending on what you want.

What do you have left?

You have Focus Blast which has terrible accuracy and redundant coverage on many things in the face of ice/ground coverage anyway. It will also likely go against your EV spread if you do not make EV investments for Blizzard and a trait change. You have Shadow Ball which will hit nothing really notable. Rock Slide would likely be your best fourth slot option.

That being said, it begs the question. Would you rather have that extra coverage on a Pokemon that doesn't have the flexibility to change its moves because it is locked by Choice Scarf anyway, or help preserve it in the event that your opponent is saving Tyranitar or Politoed until late game to change the weather on you so he can sweep your team with Doryuuzu or Manaphy.
There's always Hidden Power...

Fire or Electric mostly.
HP Fire will only help to hit Nattorei, Forretress. Blizzard or Earthquake will do more damage in every other circumstance excluding against Scizor, who will just Bullet Punch Abomasnow and OHKO.

HP Electric will only be useful against Gyarados and Burungeru. While that may have some merit, I would much rather ensure the weather security for my entire team and cripple the weather synergy of my opponent than deal with two Pokemon when I have five other Pokemon who can take care of that job.

Don Honchkrorleone

HP Fire will only help to hit Nattorei, Forretress. Blizzard or Earthquake will do more damage in every other circumstance excluding against Scizor, who will just Bullet Punch Abomasnow and OHKO.

HP Electric will only be useful against Gyarados and Burungeru. While that may have some merit, I would much rather ensure the weather security for my entire team and cripple the weather synergy of my opponent than deal with two Pokemon when I have five other Pokemon who can take care of that job.
I understood your point, but Rest without the certain cleric is kamikaze.

I understood your point, but Rest without the certain cleric is kamikaze.
I'm not going to bother repeating myself because at this point it is becoming redundant. Rest is a last resort move to ensure Hail stays up when you would have otherwise lost Abomasnow anyway. The notion of this being a kamikaze strategy is moot because by that point it isn't relevant.

I'll leave my stance on the matter at that, unless you happen to provide any alternatives that are actually beneficial.

Don Honchkrorleone

I'm not going to bother repeating myself because at this point it is becoming redundant. Rest is a last resort move to ensure Hail stays up when you would have otherwise lost Abomasnow anyway. The notion of this being a kamikaze strategy is moot because by that point it isn't relevant.

I'll leave my stance on the matter at that, unless you happen to provide any alternatives that are actually beneficial.
Leech Seed.

hmm... are you sure Abomasnow can get Magic Coat? I know serebii says he can but for some reason in my SS I can't get my Abomasnow to learn it by tutor... I checked the right tutor and they don't even list it as an option for him. I even tried testing it with Celebi and magic coat did appear in his list. but not for Abomasnow.

I felt the need to post a new set since I've been enjoying this one, and on average will eliminate two Pokemon in a battle, so it's fairly successful.

Abomasnow @ Cutsap Berry
Brave/Snow Warning
252 HP/252 ATK/6 SPD
- Wood Hammer
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Endure

The strategy is simple; lead, start weather, attack and KO, activate Custap berry, KO/damage the secondary switch in.

There are quite a few benefits to this set. Firstly, it allows a hailstorm to start the match most of the time due to Abomasnow having a -Speed nature, and EV's don't need to be invested to compensate for a Special Attack drop to make Blizzard usable. It has a fair amount of bulk, and hits really hard.

Wood Hammer takes care of most Tyranitar and Politoed, among other things. Blizzard deals with Hippowdon, and Earthquake deals with Ninetales. Between these three moves, you receive a lot of coverage.

Endure is to ensure Cutsap Berry activates in the event of an emergency, such as being trapped by a Shandera. At that point Abomasnow can OHKO with Earthquake. Most of the time the recoil from Wood Hammer and taking battle damage does this automatically though.

Just a note, he doesn't get magic coat at all. I have tried to teach it magic coat in SS, but nope can't learn it. So you might want to fix the opening.

Don Honchkrorleone

hmm... are you sure Abomasnow can get Magic Coat? I know serebii says he can but for some reason in my SS I can't get my Abomasnow to learn it by tutor... I checked the right tutor and they don't even list it as an option for him. I even tried testing it with Celebi and magic coat did appear in his list. but not for Abomasnow.
He doesn't get. Someone suggested that. Thanks.

no problem. I have no clue why Serebii has it listed that he can learn it. but hey, we all make mistakes. It's only human.

On another note... it's too bad that he can't get magic coat. that woulda helped a ton.

Don Honchkrorleone

no problem. I have no clue why Serebii has it listed that he can learn it. but hey, we all make mistakes. It's only human.

On another note... it's too bad that he can't get magic coat. that woulda helped a ton.
Yeah. Now he have to stick with Protect. At least he can break the Sashes.

Darn Serebii putting impossible dreams in our hearts.

Serebii has the lists for, I think it's Role Play, and Magic Coat mixed up; so there are loads of analyses for Pokémon that mention Magic Coat when they can't even learn it.

Abomasnow's pretty vital to my team, though he's the only Ice type on it; but I do have four Magic Guard users. It's a Trick Room team, and if Trick Room is up he can often do some serious damage (a simple LO set with Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Blizzard, Ice Shard). Getting Hail up and stopping other weather is very important, and with Hail up two STAB base 120 100% accuracy moves just make him awesome.

Hail got its improvements, just in more indirect ways:

-More Magic Guarders means more versatility in Hail teams. Shinbora 4x resists fighting, while Alakazam and Rankurusu 2x resist it. Rankurusu is a pretty amazing Trick Roomer as well.

-Dustproof finds its use in giving Hail teams more versatility. Forretress, Shubarugo, and Hahakomori all provide interesting things to Hail teams. Even Evo Stone Shellgon could be viable if you're hard up for a team member.

-Many Ice Pokemon got some upgrades:
Mamoswine got Thick Fat (Snow Cloak may be better in hail), along with Icicle Drop
Piloswine with Evo Stone puts him at 100/120/90 defenses while still boasting 100 attack.
Cloyster became amazing with Skill Link Ice Spear having more base power than even Blizzard and Shell Break, the best set-up move pretty much ever lol. He also gained Shell Blade, a viable physical water move for him.
Regice got Ice Body. 80/100/200 defenses with Ice Body is pretty awesome, even with mono Ice typing.
Articuno got Snow Cloak
Glaceon got Ice Body
Rotom Frost became Ice typing, making him viable in hail.

-A couple new pokemon are also viable in good hail teams. Tsunbear's stats are lackluster without Swift Swim, but it does have a very diverse movepool and Snow Cloak. Kyuremu is plainly a pretty amazing sweeper, while Furijio has respectable Sp. Att and Speed, a great Sp. Def stat, Acid Armor to pump up his weaker defensive side, and instaheal with Recover.

The other weather effects got even bigger upgrades, but Hail still remains the one effect that will almost never help your opponent. Use that to your advantage ^^.

Rotom that get blizzard is now an ice type. This make him a BADDER choice in hail than previous generation(thanks Gamefreak)

Welll considering that a hail stall team has recently perform well in the ST(the smog for the proof) im trying it with including abomasnow(obviously) and it has been quite amazing

Most people underestimated hail because every other weatjer stand out too much.
And a player that actualy made a hail stall (or hail team for that matter) goes with team like this :
Abomasnow/Glaceon/Mamoswine/Stallrein/Froslass/Rotom-F(at least in gen 4)
that is NOT a hail team thats instead a FAIL team(pun intended)
A hail team IS a normal team. Before making hail team we always need to remember that. Hail is not a team that put 6 hail activated ability and hoping to win which most player seems to think of. Instead if we want to actualy made a hail team pokemon we actualy better consider to use was something like this 3 which was infinitely better than those on NOOB hail team:
Nidoqueen
Tentacruel
Zapdos
try it for yourself. Remember EVEN the mighty Sandstorm team need typing balance
so does the one arguably weaker such as hail. So NEVER make any hail team that overflow with ice type

PS: Rotom F is still a nice poke on Hail team though sarcasm

Rotom that get blizzard is now an ice type. This make him a WORSE choice in hail than previous generation(thanks TROLLfreak)
Fixed it for ya.

Just theroymoning here but would shinpora be good for hail teams? it resist fighting, has magic guard, and instant recovery so it could be used offensively or defensively. It's to bad it's a tad slow and "frail". It defences are ok but could be much better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)