Accelgor

It actually does learn Guard Swap as a pre-evo move, so it would have the full base 255 defenses of Shuckle.

Also, in 3v3 or 2v2, not all the pokemon on the opponent's team are going to be lead sweepers, and they might be more worried about whichever poke is in your third slot on 3v3.

With that in mind, does that change an opinion, or is this purely a gimmick?

(Check Serebii if you must, but I'm pretty sure Guard Swap is a pre-evo move)

EDIT:

Actually, in 3v3 I have a better idea than Shuckle using Protect.
Make your third poke on your side of the field use Wide Guard. That way, Shuckle can get off an Encore or a Knock Off before it has to switch out. Again, I'm open to criticism. :D

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That set could work, but the waste of a turn and Agirudaa's relatively low offensive stats means that a bulky sweeper such as Machamp or Suicune is probably preferable, and those two also have better STAB types than Agirudaa.

EDIT@Mathghamhain: Guard Swap swaps the levels of defense, i.e. +1, +2, +5, while Guard Share averages the actual stats. Agirudaa would get nothing from using Guard Swap, while it would get vastly heightened defenses from Guard Share, around half of Shuckle's.

Guard Swap swaps the levels of defense, i.e. +1, +2, +5, while Guard Share averages the actual stats. Agirudaa would get nothing from using Guard Swap, while it would get vastly heightened defenses from Guard Share, around half of Shuckle's.
Huh... interesting. From what I'm reading from Serebii, it has changed from Gen IV (the two descriptions are different between generation attackdex entries).

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: Might as well give proof

Gen IV Attackdex entry: http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-dp/guardswap.shtml
Gen V Attackdex entry: http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-bw/guardswap.shtml

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Serebii likes to translate directly from the game's description of the move, which can lead to some discrepancies. Guard Swap swaps the levels, not the actual stats, even in Gen 5.

I've been testing Agirudaa, and the most notable thing he seems to have is Death Gambit. I run him as a suicide anti-weather lead, and he does surprisingly well.

Agirudaa@Choice Specs
Timid
252HP, 240 Sp Atk, 16 Speed

Death Gambit
Bug Buzz
Energy Ball
U-turn

Death Gambit guarantees a KO on Ninetales and severely maims Politoed (upon testing, I've OHKOed most Politoed; Max HP Politoed will survive with 20HP). Specs is needed for the OHKO against Abomasnow (though quite rare) as well as giving Agirudaa some use once it takes substantial damage. U-turn allows it to flee from T-tar and Death Gambit later on in the match. Energy Ball 2HKOs Hippo. 16 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed all Base 115s.

Agirudaa is really more of anti Sun/Rain, allowing for the immediate KO of your opponent's weather inducer, then bringing yours in to change the weather.

Ive personally been using a set with U-Turn, Bug Buzz, Spikes and Rest on my RD team because of Hydration and it is really amazing. I also take care (kinda) of Tyranitar while helping with large threats to my team such as Jolteon

Ive been using a set on my Rain Dance Team abusing HydraRest

Agirudaa@Focus Sash
Timid / Modest
Hydration
252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
-Spikes
-Bug Buzz
-Desperation
-Rest

This thing fits in so nicely on my rain dance team as it does nicely against 2 of my biggest threats while still being able to set up spikes otherwise.

Any Nattorei not running Gyro Ball can be stalled out until Power Whip misses or you can just set up spikes alongside it. Desperation is great for some last ditch damage, maybe on a sweeper or weather inducer.

Shaymin-S is outspeeded by one point when using a Modest nature and it is 2HKOed by Bug Buzz and you can survive due to Focus Sash.

This thing really helps out my team with offensive and hazzard support.

EDIT: Forgot to say that the focus sash allows this thing to destroy any Doexys form (Other than defensive) that doesnt have a focus sash. If it is carrying a focus sash, i finish it off with Robushin.

Could this guy be used in tandem with Espeon to stop hazards? I mean, anything can be used in tandem with Espeon to stop hazards, but I'm interested in the idea of throwing a U-Turn to Espeon, taking advantage of his fairly insane Speed.

Could this guy be used in tandem with Espeon to stop hazards? I mean, anything can be used in tandem with Espeon to stop hazards, but I'm interested in the idea of throwing a U-Turn to Espeon, taking advantage of his fairly insane Speed.
The fact that he only has base 70 attack is rather unfortunate for this...

Any damage is good damage: the usual strategy for using Espeon against Hazard droppers is to just switch, and then set up with Calm Mind or something on the obvious switch out.

That method (switching to Espeon) does no damage to the hazard-layer. Agirudaa's U-Turn does some damage before they leave, which is always better than nothing.

It's not like U-Turn would be his only damaging move: he'd have Bug Buzz, of course. It just seems natural to give a Bug with speed this high U-Turn, sub-par Attack stat or no.

Any damage is good damage: the usual strategy for using Espeon against Hazard droppers is to just switch, and then set up with Calm Mind or something on the obvious switch out.

That method (switching to Espeon) does no damage to the hazard-layer. Agirudaa's U-Turn does some damage before they leave, which is always better than nothing.

It's not like U-Turn would be his only damaging move: he'd have Bug Buzz, of course. It just seems natural to give a Bug with speed this high U-Turn, sub-par Attack stat or no.
True, true. Hm, I just realized that its HP is actually higher than Nattorei's, meaning that it should be able to take out the opponent's Nattorei lead with Death Gambit on turn 1. Of course, this will require some prediction to make sure that you don't Death Gambit a Blissey and do nothing when you could've set up Spikes.

True, true. Hm, I just realized that its HP is actually higher than Nattorei's, meaning that it should be able to take out the opponent's Nattorei lead with Death Gambit on turn 1. Of course, this will require some prediction to make sure that you don't Death Gambit a Blissey and do nothing when you could've set up Spikes.
Are we assuming that you see the team before the battle or not?

If you do see the team, then it's a bit easier to know if it's safe to Death Gambit.

If not, it may be best to just U-Turn to Espeon and play it safe. Perhaps Death Gambit later on in the battle, once you know more about the team.

Anybody tried the Acid bomb set?

- Bug Buzz
- Acid Bomb
- Energy Ball
- U-turn/Hidden power Ground

Evs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Nature: Hasty/Mild
Item: Life orb/Wise Glasses

Acid Bomb with its 100% chance to lower Sp.Def by two stages means it can hit hard with it's other 3 moves at double the power. U-Turn is for switch advantage whereas Hp ground can be for Heatran, (if you're hasty nature then you don't need to worry even if it is Timid Scarfed). It can also let u switch into another special attacking poke ready to counter of predict an obvious switch.

Life orb can be for real power or wise glasses for the slight boost w/o the 10% recoil so it depends on your taste which item you want to use.

Are we assuming that you see the team before the battle or not?

If you do see the team, then it's a bit easier to know if it's safe to Death Gambit.

If not, it may be best to just U-Turn to Espeon and play it safe. Perhaps Death Gambit later on in the battle, once you know more about the team.
Erm, something I'm not sure of... Which OU tier has team reveal? If I remember correctly it's Infra-Red, but memory always fails me :P

Does he really have the defenses to use Acid Bomb properly?

edit: @guanlong: I don't really know from tiers, so I can't help you there.

Base 60 SpD isn't really passable...

I realised that with his Dream World ability (Unburden) he has the potential to outspeed everything under every weather, even Dory under SS. I'd say this calls out for a Elemental Jewel set:
Agirudaa@Bug Jewel
Timid 4hp/252spa/252spe
~Bug Buzz (Agirudaa actually has a very workable base 100 SpA and Jewel-boosted STAB Bug Buzz is gonna hurt)
~Focus Blast (yeah, one of the worst moves in the game BUT it OHKOes Doryuuzu)
~Filler (I'm thinking Death Gambit to punish any Pokemon without a decent HP)
~Filler (as said before, U-Turn can help keep up momentum even though it isn't going to be hurting much with a negative-natured base 70 Attack stat)

But the switch will come after he uses Acid Bomb. He may well take a fatal hit on the turn he uses Acid Bomb.
On the switch u acid bomb then dish out a hit providing you're confident enough to K.O it after that. On the turn you have never acid bomb'd the poke you're facing then obviously you GTFO with U-Turn.

Wait, what?

So, you send Agirudaa in on something that will switch away at the sight of him, and use Acid Bomb to hit whatever is sent in? Am I reading the strategy right?

Wait, what?

So, you send Agirudaa in on something that will switch away at the sight of him, and use Acid Bomb to hit whatever is sent in? Am I reading the strategy right?
Yeah, that's how Metal Sound/Fake Tear special sweepers tried to force Blissey to switch out right after it switches in, in the past, anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)