Alabama's new immigration laws

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Some of you may be familiar with Alabama's recent passage of incredibly strict immigration laws. What you may not be familiar with is how negatively it's impacting the state . It turns out that alienating a large part of your labor force and forcing their children out of school isn't great for the economy. It also turns out that the jobs these immigrants "took" are not jobs Alabama citizens actually want, meaning that the state has resorted to using prison labor to prevent its agricultural and construction industries from completely collapsing. And finally, there are the substantial civil liberties concerns.

Summary for those of you who don't want to read the articles: Alabama recently passed a number of laws that required police to check immigrant status at routine traffic stops, that required schools to check immigrant status of parents, and other fairly invasive measures. The laws have sent much of the state's immigrant labor force fleeing, and the unemployed members of the state don't seem willing to take up the back-breaking jobs, resulting in a pretty severe economic contraction. These laws have also been abused and are contributing to a large amount of racial profiling, which has sparked protests and strikes that further ruin Alabama's economy.

Opinions on whether this was still a good idea? What are the alternatives Alabama could have explored?

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
"Lana Boatwright, another tomato farmer near Steele, said many of the people she has tried to hire since the law went into effect were concerned about losing their government disability payments if they worked in the fields"

stay classy alabama

they shouldn't have been there illegally in the first place. it's quite likely that people don't want the labour jobs because the people hiring are used to paying slave wages to illegals for the work. that's how Indians are ruining the trucking industry here, although many of them are probably legal since Canada is so lax about immigration. there's no job an average, working class american won't do, especially in these times of economic turbulence where unemployment is at an all-time low, you just have to pay them properly to do it.

Don't be racist. "Illegal" immigrants work hard in America, and it just goes to show how Americans are so naive about the matter. Also "pay them properly?" Wtf is that supposed to mean? Oh, so Americans will do ANY job as long as you "pay them properly." Why bother doing that job then? eh?

at what point did I mention race? the absolute bottom line is there shouldn't be any illegal immigrants in america; I don't give a fuck how hard they work. you need to take a long, hard look at how illegal immigration affects the economy, including unpaid hospital bills, lack of taxes on the money they make, defaulted loans and mortgages (part of what caused the economic collapse in america - thanks hard working illegals!), etc.

idiot.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a question. How does checking out student's parents' immigration status force kids out of school? Even if the kids are legal americans, they can't go to school because of their parents?

You have got to be kidding me. The economic condition of the US was not caused purely by illegal immigrants residing in the US. But that's besides the point. I'm sorry that you feel so strongly towards illegal immigrants, but that attitude isn't necessary. My point was, the catalyst of our economic situation is not just illegal immigrants, it's a combination of many different factors, some outside our control. Your argument seems to be based off the fact that illegal immigrants ruin everything, and that nothing good comes of it. Also, you didn't need to specifically mention race to imply that you meant "illegal immigrants" shouldn't be in the US, ever. You're point of view is elitist, no less.

On topic, I really don't think the new laws were necessary. As you said, these new procedures are very invasive, and may even violate some constitutional rights. The new laws are essentially being put into place to eradicate any illegals living in the state, and working in the state. Unfortunately, that means their children are unable to attend school in Alabama, and a large percentage of the workforce in those jobs have been forced to flee. It also doesn't help that these laws basically enable racial profiling without consequences. That being said, I don't know much about Alabama, I'm just stating this from what I know.

allow me to offer you some corrections as your brain clearly doesn't function as well as an average person's.

1) I never said anything was caused purely by illegal immigration. pay attention in english class.

2) my point of view is that of logic. people that are somwhere illegally shouldn't be there. why is that difficult for you to comprehend?

3) I'm also Canadian and generally think america is retarded

4) the children of illegals can't get an education paid for by legal people's tax money? how awful and atrocious!

FlareBlitz

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Kakky, keep the flaming out of my thread. You are welcome to post your opinions, regardless of how unsubstantiated or specious they are, but stay away from personal insults.

Just a question. How does checking out student's parents' immigration status force kids out of school? Even if the kids are legal americans, they can't go to school because of their parents?
The law requires schools to periodically check students' parents' immigration status. Obviously this would mean that 1st generation immigrant children put their parents at risk just by attending, so many of them drop out. Absentee rates among hispanic children in Alabama has skyrocketed. Note that many of these children are actual American citizens at this point, so disenfranchising them shouldn't be acceptable to anyone who isn't racially motivated.

Edit:

4) the children of illegals can't get an education paid for by legal people's tax money? how awful and atrocious!
I'm curious as to how you're planning on justifying this opinion. Children should be discouraged from exercising their fundamental right to an education just because of their parents' immigration status? You're not making me rethink my "racially motivated" comment.

fundamental right to an education, eh? bestowed on them by whom? considering the fact that a large percentage of the world's population DON'T have access to free education, it would appear that this fundamental right that you perceive is actually a fundamental american right bestowed upon american citizens by america. why should that apply to children of non-americans, who, by extension, aren't american themselves?

FlareBlitz

fundamental right to an education, eh? bestowed on them by whom?
American law.

it would appear that this fundamental right that you perceive is actually a fundamental american right bestowed upon american citizens by america. why should that apply to children of non-americans, who, by extension, aren't american themselves?
You're kidding, right?

What makes you think you're qualified to participate in a debate on immigration law if you don't even know the basic legal structure surrounding it? Many of the children dropping out are actual American citizens, by virtue of being born to immigrants in this country. Moreover, I would argue that certain legal protections should be extended to immigrants even if they aren't American citizens. For example, it is not legal to murder an immigrant just because they are not an American citizen.

Ultimately people are people, and blinding yourself to another's humanity based on nationalistic grounds is a quick way to find yourself supporting atrocities.

I'm very aware that the children are technically american citizens. however, the obvious problem here is that there is no infrastructure in place to keep illegals out. if there were, these children would have been born in their parents' country. haven't you heard the term "anchor baby"? people can be people all they want, but laws and nations with borders exist for a reason, and championing the abolition of said laws and borders is a quick way to find yourself supporting anarchy.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
One thing to consider is the sheer difficulty in becoming an American citizen. If it was easy, we wouldn't have so many illegal immigrants working in our country.

Also, if were not going to change the structure on legalization, Alabama may as well take those laws out. If the immigrants are the only ones willing to do the jobs, cutting them out of the workforce doesn't seem like a very productive idea. Does Alabama have views similar to Kakky's, because if they do it's simply a case of a politician trying to garner votes without considering the consequences?

FlareBlitz

I'm very aware that the children are technically american citizens.
So why did you explicitly claim that they weren't Americans?

haven't you heard the term "anchor baby"?
You mean the mildly xenophobic and entirely inaccurate caricature of immigrant children? Why yes, I have! I just have a couple of questions for you about that:

1) Are you claiming that immigrant children aren't "real" citizens? If not, why did you bring it up?
2) Why is okay that the children of immigrants must be made to suffer a climate of fear and ostracization if they want an education? What exactly was their crime?

people can be people all they want, but laws and nations with borders exist for a reason, and championing the abolition of said laws and borders is a quick way to find yourself supporting anarchy.
I don't see how "we should probably let immigrants come into this country a little more freely because it benefits from their presence" is the same as "ANARCHY IN THE UK". Laws and borders do exist for a reason, but that reason is not to keep out people of a different color and culture who are seeking a better life.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Reading both sides, I'm going to have to go with FlareBlitz on this one, but don't stop Kakky, moderatorship is JUST within your reach!

you know, you keep going on about racial motivation, but it appears the only one with racial motivations here is you. after all, you're the only one bringing it up. why don't you tell us how you really feel about whitey keeping brown down?

also, I'm going to stop replying to this thread because you definitely just said illegal immigration (or your perception of what immigration should be, which is currently equivalent to illegal) benefits america. you're clearly far too stupid to have a decent conversation with. enjoy life behind your mist of illusions.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
BLAH BLAH BLAH I DONT THINK THAT WE SHOULD MAKE THE WORLD AN EDUCATED PLACE BLAH BLAH BLAH WHO GIVES A FUCK IF THEY DROP OUT AND LIVE A TERRIBLE LIFE, I LIVE BY LAWS DAMMIT!

here in georgia, we have similarly retarded laws. america is really screwed over in regards to immigration.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Illegal aliens garner no sympathy from me. Whatever befalls their children is their own fault, since they knowingly came to this country and dropped anchor for the sole purpose of gaining from America's general generosity and a peculiarity in our laws regarding citizenship. They use their own flesh and blood as a tool to extract sympathy and treasure. It may not be their child's fault, but if the entire nation adopted Alabama's policy, eventually decency will win out: We allow a million immigrants into the country legally each year. Get in line like the rest of them. Otherwise your children will be burdened by the yoke of our laws. We are a nation of laws because we must be a nation of laws in order to survive as a nation. You may embrace your heritage, you may practice your national, cultural, and ethnic customs freely, but you must follow our laws.

Though at least the folks in Alabama are working, the folks we have up here in Massachusetts use anchor babies as a means of getting welfare payments.

That doesn't change the fact illegal immigration by its very nature causes a massive amount of identity theft and identity fraud, motor hazards and violations by persons with no inclination to learn the native language, general criminal activity over the border from drug cartels to US junkies, and a whole slew of other undesirable behaviors and illegal activities.

The vast majority of these crimes (esp. identity crimes) would get a "serves 'em right" if I or any American citizen did them and were punished, but somehow I'm supposed to be lax on foreign invaders? Ridiculous. If you are served with deportation because you were caught in a minor infraction under this law, it is not a violation of your civil rights. Illegal aliens have no rights to be in the country, just as I have no right to trespass on FlareBlitz's property with my lawn chair and start ordering copious amounts of Godfather's pizza, the emptied boxes for which I then dump on his property, all while putting up a Herman Cain 2012 sign on his lawn.

The economic downturn is probably a larger driving force than this particular immigration law, it's a bump in the road as the employers exploiting this illegal labor for bottom-barrel under the table wages slowly realize they can't screw American citizens as hard as they can Mexicans, Brazilians, or whoever else they cow into effective slave labor. Either they will raise the wage to what the legal labor market demands or they will go out of business - and all the better, because it gives these sleazy, exploitative weasels the chance to experience the unemployed life the people looking for jobs have to deal with.

Both the illegal aliens and the employers hiring them are at fault. The former should not be here and the latter should be fined and/or imprisoned and have their businesses shut down.

why should that apply to children of non-americans, who, by extension, aren't american themselves?
if people born from non-americans are not americans, then nobody is an american...

championing the abolition of said laws and borders is a quick way to find yourself supporting anarchy.
are we to assume that supporting anarchy is inherently a bad thing?

edit: YES A DECK KNIGHT POST

FlareBlitz

you know, you keep going on about racial motivation, but it appears the only one with racial motivations here is you. after all, you're the only one bringing it up.
I have given you plenty of opportunities to offer logical reasons for why you believe as you do. If you had even attempted to offer a coherent argument, I would believe your opinions were merely misguided. But after reading your posts, I am unable to come to any other conclusion. I apologize if I am mistaken, and I have nothing against you as a person, but I believe you should really re-examine your viewpoints and ask yourself why you hold them.

also, I'm going to stop replying to this thread because you definitely just said illegal immigration (or your perception of what immigration should be, which is currently equivalent to illegal) benefits america. you're clearly far too stupid to have a decent conversation with. enjoy life behind your mist of illusions.
Actually, I said that immigration was an overall net economic benefit for the country, which is a position supported by most economists. I do believe that immigration to the country should be easier, and I do believe that government action can alleviate some of the negative impacts of immigration (illegal and otherwise), but it's undeniable to anyone with a basic level of economic knowledge that immigration benefits the country. You should probably avoid speculating about my intelligence, given that you seem to have an incomplete understanding of this issue.

have a decent conversation with.
Says the person who keeps insulting people.

It's Alabama's own fault the way I see it. It reminds of people who don't want immigrants to "steal" their jobs, but at the same time they don't want to do it. It's just hilarious.

I doubt that many 1st generation legal immigrants are "fleeing" their jobs and schools just because of their race, because like you said, they are legal.

I don't know the full story on why the Alabamians aren't working the jobs held by illegals. But a fairly obvious option could be that the employers are paying them minimum wage (or below) for dangerous back breaking work. If people are opting to stay on unemployment instead of working, it is probably because they would not be able to support their families with the job. It's easy to paint them as racist lazy bastards who just want to leech, but in my personal experience, for every leecher, there are 5 people who can't sleep at night, worrying about finding work.

Of course, we don't know the full story, and anecdotal evidence doesn't prove much. What I do know is that this isn't "proof" that illegals are good for the country, which is what many of my friends are already trying to spin it as. Legal immigration reform that streamlines the process and cuts some useless red tape is worth a lot more than slapping a band-aid on the problem by allowing "illegal" (why even call them that if you are knowing letting them stay there and giving them benifits?) to work.

FlareBlitz

edit: YES A DECK KNIGHT POST
^

Illegal aliens garner no sympathy from me. Whatever befalls their children is their own fault, since they knowingly came to this country and dropped anchor for the sole purpose of gaining from America's general generosity and a peculiarity in our laws regarding citizenship.
I think calling jus soli citizenship a "peculiarity" is rather odd, considering that at this point the vast majority of Americans claim their citizenship from the principle.

They use their own flesh and blood as a tool to extract sympathy and treasure. It may not be their child's fault, but if the entire nation adopted Alabama's policy, eventually decency will win out
We have very different definitions of decency, my friend. I don't think authority figures asking anyone who looks non-caucasian for their papers is decent. I don't think forcing parents to choose between the education of their children and their freedom is decent. I don't think perpetuating a culture of fear and prejudice against American citizens of Mexican descent in our schools is decent. I don't think implementing policies that drive out people who have probably contributed more to society than the people who want them driven out is decent.

Alabama's laws are anything but decent.

Oh and if that weren't enough, if the rest of the country followed Alabama's example, we'd probably face the same economic and social consequences their citizens are facing

We are a nation of laws because we must be a nation of laws in order to survive as a nation. You may embrace your heritage, you may practice your national, cultural, and ethnic customs freely, but you must follow our laws.
Kohlberg's theory of moral development suggests that the most evolved moral sense, post-conventional morality, is predicated on what he called "internalized universal principles"; that is, according to Kohlberg, there are laws that a moral person would accept, some he would question, and some he would reject. A society full of people with a post-conventional moral view is better than a society full of people who heed laws regardless of context.

And let's talk about context. There are rampant drug wars in Mexican bordertowns, fueled largely by American drug laws. The people who live there have a choice: they can either continue to live and work in an environment where their lives are worth less than the bullet it takes to end it, or they can emigrate to America. Of course, in order to emigrate legally, they would need several years and several thousand pesos in bribes. So they come here illegally, in order to guarantee that their children can grow up in a society where their only choices are not "join a gang or die in squalor".
Is it against the law? Yes. But recall back to what I mentioned about post-conventional moral development. I refuse to believe that anyone who understands the plight of many Mexican immigrants would state that they are at fault and deserve harsh punishment. I think, and I hope, that ignorance and self-interest are at work here. Because if someone can legitimately understand why illegal immigration occurs, and still find it in themselves to condemn the immigrants themselves...that says more about their moral fibre than I had cared to know.

That doesn't change the fact illegal immigration by its very nature causes a massive amount of identity theft and identity fraud, motor hazards and violations by persons with no inclination to learn the native language, general criminal activity over the border from drug cartels to US junkies, and a whole slew of other undesirable behaviors and illegal activities.
I'm not sure why you are assuming that illegal immigrants "by [their] very nature" engage in identity theft and drug trade. Or why you assume that they have no interest in learning our language or participating in our culture. That seems like a rather broad brush.

But even if all these things were true...wouldn't they be solved merely by making them legal citizens? Or to put it another way, to make legal immigration much easier than it is currently?

Illegal aliens have no rights to be in the country, just as I have no right to trespass on FlareBlitz's property with my lawn chair and start ordering copious amounts of Godfather's pizza, the emptied boxes for which I then dump on his property, all while putting up a Herman Cain 2012 sign on his lawn.
Deck, if you were facing the constant threat of murder and poverty in your house, I would be very understanding if I happened to find you trespassing on my lawn. I would even let you stay in my apartment, since you seem willing to do my dishes, which is an activity I loath.

The economic downturn is probably a larger driving force than this particular immigration law, it's a bump in the road as the employers exploiting this illegal labor for bottom-barrel under the table wages slowly realize they can't screw American citizens as hard as they can Mexicans, Brazilians, or whoever else they cow into effective slave labor. Either they will raise the wage to what the legal labor market demands or they will go out of business - and all the better, because it gives these sleazy, exploitative weasels the chance to experience the unemployed life the people looking for jobs have to deal with.
I'd agree, actually. One of my least favorite things about illegal immigration is the working conditions they find themselves in, and unethical employers who use illegal immigrants in lieu of paying an actual wage and following work safety regulations.
Unfortunately for you, this is yet another problem that can be solved very easily by allowing them to document their work without deporting them. Cracking down on it harder, on the other hand, will just push immigrants further into the shadow economy, where employers are much more shady and violent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)