All the Other Kids

ALL THE OTHER KIDS

(with the pumped up kicks...)

Introduction:

Hello everyone, this is the first serious team I've posted in this forum and one the most successful teams I've played with. I've been visiting this site for a while now, and I've always been attracted to the lower tiers. Needless to say, when BW NU was introduced I was all over it.

|
|
|
|
|
|​

The Team:

I made this team only a week or so after NU was playable on the smogon PO server. Initially, I was running BP Shell Smash Gorebyss with a team of receivers, but that stopped working once I faced good players. Ironically, I played some practice matches with Pearl at this time, and he easily beat me with his Choice Specs Exeggutor. I remember him saying how almost nothing could switch in to a Specs Leaf Storm, and he was right. I ditched the BP team and immediately build one around Eggy, and this is it after a few tweaks. It has a reliable lead, a solid offensive core, and several members utilize U-turn / Volt Switch to keep momentum. At its best, this team peaked at #3 on the smogon ladder, #2 on the PO LU ladder (found this kinda funny), and most importantly won A Whole NU World tournament.

A Closer Look:

Mesprit @ Leftovers​
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Mesprit is easily the most reliable pokemon in NU. It has great balance between bulk and power, making it easy to fit on almost any team. I use Mesprit to set up hazards early and to switch in to weaker attacks throughout the game. The EVs give Mesprit a great balance between bulk and speed, and it has not let me down. Psychic surprisingly does a decent amount of damage to most pokemon considering the neutral nature and lack of EV investment. Grass Knot is mainly there to catch things like Quagsire and Rhydon by surprise, which is never a bad thing. This moveslot changes the most often based upon what I am seeing on the ladder; I have used Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Thunder Wave here as well. Lastly, U-turn is a great move in general, and it helps Mesprit keep momentum by scouting opponent switch-in.

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Recover
- Yawn
- Scald
- Earthquake

Despite the attention in OU, Quagsire remains one on NU's premier walls. Boasting one of the best abilities in the game, Quagsire can handle almost any set up sweeper with ease. For my team, he is my answer to threats such as Klingklang, Absol, Emboar, and Dragonair, just to name a few. I use a physically defensive set because frankly, it's the best and it is what my team needs. The set I use may be a bit different from the standard, but in my opinion this is what funtions best in this tier and for my team. Earthquake deals reliable damage to most things Quagsire counters, while scald gives me the chance to cripple something on my opponent's team. In all honesty, I am surprised Yawn isn't used more on Quagsire. It is great at forcing switches and piling up hazard damage, and is basically guranteed to stop all set up sweepers. Quagsire functions great on my team, as its only weakness is covered by four other team members.

Exeggutor (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm

This thing is an absolute monster. There is almost nothing in NU that can safely switch in to this set 100% of the time, meaning the only way to beat it is good play and good predictions. Exeggutor fits in my team very nicely, with its weaknesses covered and it forming a nice fire/water/grass core with Quagsire and Magmortar, making it very easy to find opportunities to bring Exeggutor in to battle. Most of the time I spam Giga Drain, while Leaf Storm is used if I don't want to predict, or Psyshock or HP Fire if I do. Exeggutor is also deceptively fast, or at least comparatively. There have been countless times where Eggy has gotten a surprise kill or two due to the opponent underestimating its speed.

Magmortar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

While we're on the topic on pokemon who hit like a truck, here is Magmortar. Magmortar is definitely one of the hardest fire types to play against, if not the hardest. Originally, I had Flame Charge over Focus Blast, and it worked to an extent. However, Miltank and Lickilicky were becoming more popular at one point, and my team was seriously weak to them. I changed to Focus Blast and despite its 5% accuracy, the change helped my team. I use hp grass because I think its the most practical, although I can see other types such as ice being useful. Another great thing about Magmortar is its access to Thunderbolt, which can 2HKO Slowking if it has taken a little prior damage. Magmortar is also my answer to Smeargle and other sleep-inducing pokemon, due to my ability Vital Spirit making Spore / Sleep Powder useless. I couldn't say how many times my opponents have used Spore without knowing that Magmortar got Vital Spirit this gen, something even I didn't realize right away.

Magneton @ Eviolite
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Of all the pokemon on my team, Magneton probably sees the most use, and with good reason. Due to eviolite, Magneton acually has surprisingly good bulk. Magneton can take advantage of this due to its great synergy with the rest of my team. It also forms a near perfect U-turn duo with Braviary, which helps my team to keep momentum. Magneton is also equally as good as a counter to Klingklang as Quagsire is, so my team is completely safe from that menace. Magneton also funcions as a way to clear the steel types out of the way, so Braviary has a much easier time spammimg Brave Bird. Not much else to say, other than a lot of people underestimate Magneton's bulk and power. Too bad to see him leaving.

Braviary (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Frustration
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- U-turn

A lot of people try to argue that Swellow is the superior flying-type in the tier. However, I think they take two very different roles. Swellow is meant to hit as hard as possible and then get out before recoil + status damage begins to add up. Braviary, however, is the best revenge killer in NU, in my opinion. Bar things like Typhlosion and Manectric, there isn't anything faster in the tier that I've had to revenge (off the top of my head). Perhaps its greatest use, though, is the ability to outspeed Gorebyss after a Shell Smash, which is a HUGE savior to my team. U-turn allows Braviary to be a great lure to steel types, only to have them be met by Magneton. Overall, Braviary is my "failsafe" to many offesive threats in NU, and it funtions perfectly in keeping the momentum for my team.

So, there's the team. I will likely be retiring it, since Magneton is RU and the metagame will be changing very rapidly. I am still open to suggestions though! If you think this team can work in the new meta, feel free to help.

Threatlist:

Here is a threatlist, containing only the pokemon who are threats to my team.

ORANGE: small threat
RED: big threat

Altaria: Dragon Dance versions are handled by Quagsire, but defensive versions are a pain to take out. Usually I have to weaken it and have Braviary come in for the kill.
Cacturne: Fortunatley, these things didn't spike (no pun intended) in usage until recently. Unfortunately, a common set such as Sub / SD / Seed Bomb / Sucker Punch can easily beat my team. I have to find a way to break its sub to be able to kill it with Magneton.
Exeggutor: Specs sets can obviosly put a huge dent in my team, but several team members can outspeed and ko easily. Magmorter can switch in on sleep powders and Exeggutor handles subseed version.
Magmortar: As Zebraiken correctly said in his threatlist, what team isn't bothered by Magmortar? If it's LO with HP Grass, the only way of beating it is to revenge with Braviary, although Mesprit CAN take hit at full health. Scarf Magmortars are easier to deal with, but can still be annoying.
Rotom-S: Goddamn these things are annoying. Particularly the para-fusion sets. To beat it, I have to play very safely (and a bit lucky) with Magneton and Braviary.

Well that's it, all comments are welcome and I hope you enjoyed!

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
This is a really strong team and obviously it's been very successful.

Magneton and Exeggutor should probably have HP Ground as a minor objective change. If HP Ground Magneton traps yours, you're opened up to a bunch of threats, especially Swellow.

There are two things that really 6-0 this team; Swords Dance Shiftry and Shell Smash Gorebyss. Shiftry can Swords Dance up on Exeggutor or Quagsire and run straight through your team. Timid Gorebyss, if your opponent is smart enough to let something fall asleep and then set it up on Quagsire, also runs through you, outspeeding Braviary after a Shell Smash.

Using a faster Scarfer might work to patch up these weaknesses; Rotom-S would be a good replacement for Braviary, outspeeding +2 Gorebyss and Tricking walls (while also providing a last resort method of making obnoxious Sucker Punch users like Shiftry more manageable). Replacing Magneton, you obviously would need something that can take on Swellow; Regirock is a good option, one that patches up your Magmortar and Altaria problems as well as giving you a Stealth Rock user, thus allowing you to run a more productive set on Mesprit - perhaps SubCM?

Style_Dota

Bloo Wannabe
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pretty cool team Foster.

HP Fire is kind of awful in NU on Mangneton. It really doesn't hit anything harder than Flash Cannon would except perhaps other Magneton. While this is kind of gimmicky, you could try Hidden Power [Water] over fire to deal with Camerupt. This will open up some holes for your Magmortar to sweep. You don't really need HP Ground imo because you have Volt Switch to escape other Magneton, you just need to play conservatively.

Edit: Magneton is banned herpity derp. I'll test with some replacements

You may wanna try Expert Belt over Life Orb on Magmortar, it's always great to bluff a Scarf or something like that while at the same time still hitting hard.

Im not criticising but wouldnt you want to take advantage of Exeggutor's ability Chlorophyll, because i use this set and it hasnt failed me once yet...

-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Psyshock
-Giga Drain

Also i carry a Focus Sash just incase the Sunny Day fails to work and gives the Opponent a chance to OHKO me, Sunny Day also helps Magmortar with its Flamethrower
and surely will help with HP Fire !

A really good team, yet i have a suggestion. How about replacing t-bolt with flame charge so you can outspeed other things. And, if you trust accuracy, fire blast over flame thrower

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)