Alphabet Cup

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So I saw Sucker Punch Mawile and Mach Punch Breloom when I was observing a match just now. How does that happen?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
We should make a potential banlist, or at least a threatlist. I've actually got a list of Pokemon that may or may not be broken :

Thundurus (although he does keep stat boosters in check and makes for a very interesting metagame), Tornadus, Sableye, Wobbuffet, Slaking, Genesect, Greninja, Slurpuff, Salamence, Darmanitan, Chansey, Lucarionite, Bisharp, Breloom, Banette (although I haven't seen it so I can't attest to that), Porygon2. I may have forgotten some.

As I said, I don't think any of these are necessarily broken, but we might want to look at them more closely, because they pretty much are the metagame.
I definitely don't think Thundurus should ever get banned. It (well, I guess along w/ Thundurus), is the only way to reliably stop all of the set up moves used. BoltBeam coverage is great too, but still thinks its supportive qualities are necessary. The only two pokemon I think may be broken are salamence and Sableye. But we'll have to see.

What if..
Probopass set a Perish Song trap? He can learn block. An he could (possibly) regain a little HP with Parabolic Charge. Protect might work as well.
Or he could use Magnet Pull on Steel Types to save a turn.
Magnet Rise is also an option while you are waiting for Perish Song to take full effect.

I came into this thread thinking "cool idea". Then I saw all the horribly broken things that were here.

Cotton Guard Chansey!?!?!
Belly Drum Bisharp!?!?!?!
EVERYTHING THAT STARTS WITH AN S!?!?!?

here's a hawlucha set I've been using to mild success...

Hawlucha @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Timid Nature
- Heart Swap
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Encore

The idea is your opponent is dumb and keeps setting up when encored, then you can heart swap and baton pass the boosts to a team mate. it's honestly quite gimmicky, but fun when it works. mold breaker is so you can encore through magic bounce.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thundy is a weird case of Pokemon that overcentalizes the meta, yet is probably healthy for it because it keeps sweepers in check. Without Thundurus, Stat boosts would be rampant and nigh unstoppable. It's a bit like Avalugg in Inverse.

In any case, not running Thundurus is a foolish thing to do.

Thundurus is a little evil that is needed unfortunantly even if it over centralizing, been said a thousand time what happens without it. Even though there are some unaware mons only clefairy seems to get anything out of this meta with circle throw.
Quagsire even though it is good with its niche, it will hate belly drum breloom and the many special attackers with geomancy and smash as it has lacking special bulk.

So I've been running some experimental sets:

-Shell smash Salamence is pretty damn powerful specially since it gets Sacred Fire and Sword with it too. If thundurus topsies you, you will most likely leave it with a crippling burn with fire and it will be easy to come again after its out of the way.
-Hitmonlee gets HoneClaws, granted, this doesnt seem anything special at first, but with tactical unburden activation this guy does become a nice cleaner when HJK doesnt risk a miss anymore and neither does stone edge.
-Bisharp gets many intresting moves like BoltStrike, Bonemerang, Bulk up.. But specially, Bolt Strike is a very good coverage move for Bisharp from what I've been toying with it.
-Charizard gets Close Combat, very damn deadly with the X form. I've found this to be more reliable against heatrans and the like than earthquake. the def drops do suck when foe has prio though.
-Registeel gets Roost. Well, this is self explonary. Rapid spin can be tossed in for good measure too. Unfortunantly I'm not too good with stallish team play so I havent been able to milk much out of this, I think it could be pretty nice though for some defensive teams.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Thundy is a weird case of Pokemon that overcentalizes the meta, yet is probably healthy for it because it keeps sweepers in check. Without Thundurus, Stat boosts would be rampant and nigh unstoppable. It's a bit like Avalugg in Inverse.

In any case, not running Thundurus is a foolish thing to do.
I'm running Tornadus over Thundurus and I'm not really regretting that decision...

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They're about the same, so I run either or depending on my needs. Both get T-wave and Topsy-Turvy, so meh.
Thundurus just seems to outclass Tornadus to me, since it gets Volt Switch, STAB Thunderbolt, and a better defensive typing. Obviously, if we ban Thundurus (which we probably shouldn't), it goes without saying that we'll ban Tornadus too.

Octillery is great with Oblivion Wing, Overheat, and Outrage. If the moody clause wasn't there, Octillery would be on every team.

As an octillery lover I can say that it's not very good overheat is bad when you have fire blast oblivion wig is nice but it's already so frail outrage is a pretty bad move for non dragons.

I derped at the beginning because this was my first battle of the tier. But I guess you could say the opponent was.. Ninjad!

If it's not already been mentioned here.. Geomancy Greninja. Let that sink in.

I have had a really hard time with geomancy greninja, my best check to it is my av slowbro with seed flare secret sword scald and psyshock

Albacore

I derped at the beginning because this was my first battle of the tier. But I guess you could say the opponent was.. Ninjad!

If it's not already been mentioned here.. Geomancy Greninja. Let that sink in.
Don't worry, we all know about Geomancy Greninja.

This battle shows why it's important to always have Thundurus.

Also, why don't you have Bullet Punch on Bisharp? It's the only reason to use it in the first place!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)