An Evolutionary Process (Peaked #1)

Well, as my first 5th generation RMT this team I have here is unlike most of my past UU and OU teams. This one has changed significantly over time to accommodate for the new threats that kept on popping up as it climbed to the top of the ladder under the user name Wargle with a CRE of 1248 and is currently #3 under elevator music's alts as our battles mostly come down to luck. >.> I originally meant for this team to be made of three flying types and three other Pokemon to take their weaknesses (came up with the idea while playing angry birds ^_^). It was going well until it started performing terribly the higher it climbed up the ladder. I'd say the process of making this team was a great learning experience and helped me analyze the current metagame to make better teams in the future. So, here's how the team changed as time passed by.

I began with a base of three flyers: Washibon, Murkrow, and Tailow. Murkrow would lure in the Pokemon that wall Tailow and Wargle and damage them severely with Wargle being the next kamikaze bird in line to destroy the opponent with Tailow sweeping afterward. I devoted the last three slots to covering their weaknesses with a scarf Chinchou to revenge certain threats, a scarf Machop to defend against Komatana and Zuruggu, and an old 4th generation favorite: SubLO Gastly to defend myself against Fighters while also retaining a more offensive presence.

While the team did do well at first I knew it wasn’t enough to reach the top of the ladder so I took Machop out for a Shell Break Shellder holding an Evo Stone to compensate for my large Gligar weakness. It worked wonderfully and I got used to it.

Then, Seven Deadly Sins told me that Brave Bird was illegal on Washibon so I was urged to change it to something else seeing as that is the only move I would really use when using Washibon. I decided to try out DD Evo Stone Bagon because it provides some great resistances to Fire and Water while being an immense offensive presence on the battle field having its main STAB resisted by Steel, the only type resistant to Tailow and Shellder’s attacks. Plus, the fact it learned Fire Fang and Brick Break only made it better suited for the role alongside Murkrow.

Komatana started to rampage on my team setting up on Gastly with ease. With Machop gone, I needed a fighter so I replaced Tailow with Evo Stone Bulk up Dokkora. It also helped relieve the problem I was having with Zuruggu. As to why I replaced Tailow is simply that it provided no defensive measures against anything that wasn’t already covered. Shellder, on the other hand, played as my first switchin to Gligar simply because it could take it out with Ice shard or even set up on it as it switches out. And that is how my team changed over the course of time.

Chinchou (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 60 Def / 228 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Change
---
I don't have a dedicated lead since my team doesn't utilize hazards. However, if anything I lead with Chinchou the most. The fact that it can Volt change out of danger is good enough for it to be a lead. The other moves are for coverage and STAB. Hydro Pump gives it the raw power it needs if I ever want to pull off a sweep in the end. Thunderbolt is my main STAB and Ice Beam is for coverage and to make sure I hit Gligar should I ever need to considering Hydro Pump's shaky accuracy.

The EVs allow Chinchou to reach 24 speed and 16 Special Attack. It's HP is already at a healthy 24 points so I invested the rest into defense to better handle Meditite's Fake out+Bullet Punch combo.

Resistance-wise, Chinchou provides a lot for the team defensively. It take electric, water, and ice attacks with ease making it the best switchin to water types such as Pururiru and Mantyke.

Dokkora (M) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Guts
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Payback
- Mach Punch
---
Dokkora is plain awesome. I usually send him in on a Komatana or Tesshido. From there it's Bulk up and destroy. Drain Punch is really his only method of healing. Mach Punch provides useful priority in a metagame where matches are usually decided by whoever makes the first move. Payback lets me hurt Pururiru and Misdreavus that think they can block my Drain Punch. Usually, instead of going straight for the Shadow Ball, both will Will-O-Wisp. That's where his ability Guts comes in.

Dokkora becomes a monster OHKOing things left and right with just Mach Punch. Drain Punch will usually allow him to live through the onslaught as it does more damage meaning more healing. The Evo stone provides several set up opportunities and makes it even more difficult to deal with. After just one Bulk up Dokkora can easily attain these relevant and monstrous stats.

HP: 25
Atk: 27 (can be boosted further by Guts)
Def: 31-32
Sp. Def: 16-17

Bagon (M) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Brick Break
---
I really needed a dragon on my team to better handle sunny day teams and for the numerous resistances it provides. Bagon was the bulkiest and most powerful one I could find. In fact, the only advantage Dratini had over it was Extreme Speed while Gible had a STAB Earthquake but no boosting moves and resistance to Grass. Bagon provided everything I needed and is my initial answer to sunny day teams as it resists the common STABs of its abusers. The fact that it can boost its speed and Attack to unimaginable levels also appealed to my tastes. Combine it with a STAB Outrage and two coverage moves that give it unresisted capabilities then this thing is ready to smash some heads in.

Max Attack and Speed allow it to reach 22 Speed and 26 Attack after a Dragon Dance. The speed allows it to outpace the 21 speed tier which several scarfers such as Machop aim for. It also outspeeds anything that isn’t holding a scarf.

Murkrow (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 236 Atk / 84 SAtk / 188 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave
- Brave Bird
- Roost
---
I can finally see why Murkrow was banned. It tears apart stall like nobody’s business and Sucker Punch makes sure it doesn’t slack off against offensive teams either. As a matter of fact, I use Murkrow as my secondary revenge killer. Anything Chinchou can’t kill Murkrow is there to save me against like a safety net. The moves allow it all the coverage it needs to be effective in LC while Roost is usually used against an opponent I know will switch or Wynaut that I know will Encore first turn.

The EVs give it 19 speed and maximum Attack to power up Brave Bird and Sucker Punch. Heat Wave is primarily for unsuspecting Bronzor; however, I have used it several times on Tesshido that people leave in on Murkrow even though Brave Bird almost OHKOs the thing. T_T

One of the greatest forms of support Murkrow provides, though, is in his ability and immunities. His ability lets him switch in on Sleep Powder and Spore. Sleep Powder usually comes from Bellsprout or Exeggcute, both of which are OHKOed by Sucker Punch. Paras and Shroomish are the only users of Spore and they both fear Brave Bird. In using his immunities I can easily switch him in on Psycho Cuts and Zen Headbutts while watching for High Jump Kick or Brick Break. Abra’s Psycho Shock gives it easy switchins. Earthquakes aimed at Chinchou give it plenty of switch in opportunities.

Shellder (M) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 40 Def / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard
- Shell Smash
---
This is probably the next most broken thing beside Murkrow. It can take a beating and dish one out, too. Funny how I’m not using any STAB moves on it, though. This is simply because Surf is working off his lower Special attack and would require me to lower one of his defenses which are needed to set up. I’ve considered Shell Blade, but Icicle Spear does almost as much damage anyway and is a multi-hit move with 100% accuracy. I couldn’t pass that up. Rock Blast gives it coverage against waters and OHKOs Pururiru. Shellder was my main weapon against Sub-Protect users such as Remoraid. However, sometimes it all just comes down to luck.

Shell Smash is what makes Shellder so dangerous. Shellder is kind of slow so it usually moves after an attack which is taken with the help of Evo Stone. I’ve seen it survive things like Chinchou’s Thunderbolt at full health and still manage to get some kills. Shell Smash will lower its defenses and it gains plus two in speed, attack, and special attack. Ice Shard will make it even more difficult to revenge kill taking Croagunk down at around 60%, and it doesn’t even get boosted by STAB. Icicle Spear becomes incredibly deadly OHKOing all but the bulkiest of Pokemon or those that resist it.

Gastly (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 76 Atk / 200 SAtk / 200 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Ball
---
Gastly is the odd ball of the team seeming out of place in this generation, but really needed on this team. Usually, he cleans the mess that Murkrow and Shellder make. He’s also my primary switchin to fighting types such as Croagunk and opposing Dokkora as it can do some major damage to both when combined with Chinchou’s Volt Change.

This particular set is completely Komatana set up bait so I have to be careful and preserve Dokkora to prevent a sweep. Sucker Punch may seem odd, but the priority helps in cases where it needs that little extra damage. Explosion would have been better if I was using Gastly as a lure, but I’m not. Substitute gives it protection and the potential to strike twice without much penalty. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are its STABs and provide great coverage that isn’t resisted by much besides Steels I believe.

almost two weeks and not even one post? I mean, this team hasn't been doing as well since I posted it and could still use some work. I'd really like something. >_>

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uh, you may want to consider substitute on murkrow, due to the great synergy it provides with sucker punch, perhaps replace roost or heat wave (murkrow is rather frail so it will hard time to roost). Bagon is rather underwhelming as a dragon dancer compared to bulky DD zuruggu or whatever it's called, so you may want to consider that.

You'll probably also want at least some sort of fighting check, so consider a gligar, also since your team lacks SR it can do that too; use a bulky pre-evo set with SR, roost, EQ / filler (AA, or some coverage move).

It's not that hard to find time to Roost considering the amount of switches the threat of a STAB Sucker Punch can cause. It's really useful against Stall where they try to whittle away my HP with residual damage. If anything, I use Murkrow much like one would use Roost Mixmence in OU, but without all the drawbacks of a STAB Outrage and Draco Meteor. I need Heat Wave to get rid of the Steels that would otherwise wall my whole team. Brave Bird and Sucker Punch are obligatory STABs.

I've considered Zurggu, but after being swept by a sun team, I really needed a way to turn the tables against them and Bagon usually sufficed. The low Speed for a Dragon Dancer is a real turn off, but the power it provides is by no means lacking.

My fighting check is Gastly, so I don't really need a Gligar. Besides, it has been doing great.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You find your team functions fine without SR and only a pseudo-defensive pivot in chinchou?

If it works for you, then fine I guess, but it seems this teams is prone to being swept (I'm not that familiar with LC so I won't name any specific threats at the danger of being proven wrong, but I'm sure you should know some), without a strong physical pivot such as gligar or bronzong or a strong special one such as munchlax.

SR isn't really needed in LC considering how everything is either 2KOed or OHKOed nowadays, but evo stone kind of changed that somewhat making boosters somewhat of a requirement to beat stall.

The only real threats I've found are Komatana and gligar and that's because the only counters keeping them from sweeping my team don't have reliable recovery. Otherwise, I can play around most physical threats through resistances and immunities. I know it's not the most reliable method, but when you're on offense your whole team has to either be able to move around flexibly or utterly overpower the opponent. I chose the latter simply because it was more reliable with the advent of the evo stone making sweeping more difficult. Below is a type chart I'll input into the main post with some other factors that show how flexible this team is.

The team has 3 resistances to common attacking types: Water, Grass, and Fire, a common core on balanced and stall teams utilizing Pururiru and Tesshido. The most common offensive types people utilize are Fighting and Dark, I assume through my experience. Murkrow usually does a number on them before being taken out hitting them hard with STAB Brave Bird. Gastly can clean up with a STAB Sludge Bomb being immune to Fighting attacks. Dokkora can take them on and come out on top only really worrying about Meditite. Dragons can be troublesome, but Shellder's Ice Shard is usually enough to keep them in check. Status, on the other hand, is a non-issue considering I have immunities to their most common forms in Chinchou (Thunder Wave), Gastly (Toxic), and Murkrow (Sleep Powder/Spore/Hypnosis). Will-O-Wisp is taken by Dokkora to get a free boost to its attack.

Lol, this took quite a while to write. Sorry I didn't make things clearer in the OP. X_X

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)