Anti-TR Drizzle Offense

Intro/Concept:
This is a variation of my Dual-Weather Hyperoffense team, and even after making changes to the original, I still had problems with Trick Room teams. I was staring at the roof of my room one night when I started thinking about the components of a Trick Room team. I came up with: 1) Trick Room starters are usually bulky Psychics or Ghosts; 2) Trick Room leads usually consist of a Trick Room starter and a Fake-Out user. I thought of having something that stops Trick Room and can't be flinched by Fake Out. Chandelure immediately came into mind, as it sports Imprison + Trick Room and can't be affected by Fake Out.
With Chandelure down, I looked for ways to eliminate the Fake Out user. Many times, on a Trick Room team, the Fake Out user is a Hitmontop or Hariyama. The more common Pokemon that I've seen is Hitmontop, and those usually carry Intimidate. I pondered using Bisharp, and it could go both ways. It could have Inner Focus so it couldn't flinch from a Fake Out, or (the option I chose) it could run Defiant so it gets a +1 in Attack from Intimidate.
I originally had a Garchomp in place of Gastrodon, and I made the switch between the two when I saw how poorly I fared against other rain teams, especially those without any Ludicolo. The other three members of my team are adapted from my original Dual-Weather Hyperoffense.

Team At a Glance:

And Here We Go...

Bisharp (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 248 Atk / 248 SDef / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sucker Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Iron Head
- Protect

Defiant is, as stated beforehand, Bisharp has a pretty hefty Attack Stat, firing off STAB Sucker Punches at the likes of Latios and offensive Psychics. Iron Head is there for secondary STAB and to hit the likes of Tyranitar for SE damage with a side chance of flinch. Psycho Cut is, as stated before, to severely damage or even KO Fighting type Fake-Out leads. Protect is an obvious option for doubles. The 8 Speed EVs make sure that Bisharp outspeeds opposing Hitmontop with 4 Spd.

Chandelure (M) @ Ghost Gem
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 248 SAtk / 12 SDef / 248 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Imprison
- Trick Room

Chandelure is my leading Trick Room counter, possessing both Imprison and Trick Room to disrupt the setup of all other Trick Roomers. STAB, Ghost-Gem boosted Shadow Ball severely hurts pure Psychic Trick Room leads, if they run a +SpD nature. It usually KOs if they run a neutral SpD nature. Heat Wave provides a nice spread move to break Hail and clear Abomasnow for Politoed. Flame Body has the potential to cripple Scrafty and Tyranitar that Crunch it.

Gastrodon (M) @ Rindo Berry
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 180 Def / 80 SDef / 248 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind
- Muddy Water
- Protect

I found that other rain teams were a pain to take down with only a Ludicolo and a Politoed, so I started using a Gastrodon to counter them. Additionally, the Icy Wind helps bring down enemy Pokemon's speed, especially if they have Tailwind up. This helps my team outspeed and sweep the enemy team. Earth Power and Muddy Water are there for STAB, and Muddy Water gets an attack boost in the Rain. Additionally, Politoed and Ludicolo make great partners as they both outspeed Gastrodon and can use Surf to give Gastrodon a Special Attack boost.

Scizor (M) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 12 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Acrobatics
- Protect

Scizor is a potential Trick Room killer that can KO Scrafty with Flight Gem boosted Acrobatics. Scrafty poses somewhat of a threat to my leads, as it has STAB SE moves against both. However, if Trick Room isn't up, he doesn't outspeed my Anti-TR leads, and Chandelure gets his purpose served. Bullet Punch helps kill Abomasnow that try to set up weather, and Bug Bite kills Latios and other Psychics that can't otherwise damage Scizor, especially under rain.

Politoed (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 12 Def / 248 SAtk / 248 Spd
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Psychic

Politoed is my Drizzle inducer of the team. Scarf lets him outspeed Genies and retaliate with a Double-STAB Surf. Along with Ludicolo, his partner in crime, dual Surfs stack to hurt a majority of the Pokemon in the VGC. Ice Beam is for Dragons, which are oh-so-common in VGC. HP Grass is if and only if the opponent has a Jellicent and a Gastrodon on the field. Psychic is there as a means of severely damaging Toxicroak, which otherwise laughs at this team.

Ludicolo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 248 SAtk / 12 SDef / 248 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Ludicolo provides the Grass coverage I need, getting both STAB and HP recovery from Giga Drain. It can eliminate Gastrodon and Jellicent, which have given me problems in the past when Ludicolo's spot was occupied by a Kingdra. Surf stacks with Politoed's to "stragetically repeat" moves that severely damage most pokemon in the VGC. Ice Beam is to outspeed and go for the KO on genies that don't use a status move.

Final Look

Yeah that's only to account for stat gain with even-numbered IVs. If your IVs are 31 across the board (which hopefully they will be) a simple spread of 252/252/4 is less wasteful.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You need to fix your EVs. 8 EVs does nothing more than 4 EVs at level 50 (if the IV is 31).

You need to make sure that the formula is an even number, or you are wasting EVs.

IV + (EV/4)

so in this case, 31 + (8/4) = 31 + 2 = 33. You are wasting EVs.

I think I fixed all of the EVs in the post. I actually fixed them all a while back, but I forgot to edit the thread.

And I realized that I had Garchomp in place of Gastrodon in this post, so I fixed that as well.

Maybe consider using a Sitrus Berry over a Choice Scarf for Politoed and put in Encore over HP Grass. Encoring a Trick Room user after you Imprisoned them can SERIOUSLY FUCK THEM UP, as has happened to me in the past.

Bisharp should probably be running Inner Focus instead of Defiant, even though the Intimidate boost is tempting, he'll usually be Fake Outed before he can Sucker Punch the TR user.

I tried using a Flame Body Chandelure last year and it plain didn't work, even for the chance of a burn. Considering most of Chandelure's threats are special-based, Flash Fire is always the most welcome boost.

Maybe consider using a Sitrus Berry over a Choice Scarf for Politoed and put in Encore over HP Grass. Encoring a Trick Room user after you Imprisoned them can SERIOUSLY FUCK THEM UP, as has happened to me in the past.

Bisharp should probably be running Inner Focus instead of Defiant, even though the Intimidate boost is tempting, he'll usually be Fake Outed before he can Sucker Punch the TR user.

I tried using a Flame Body Chandelure last year and it plain didn't work, even for the chance of a burn. Considering most of Chandelure's threats are special-based, Flash Fire is always the most welcome boost.
Wow, I never thought about that in regards to Politoed. I could definitely try that. I could also try the other two suggestions.
Thanks for the rate!

Just a bit of a nitpick, I never really found Protect helpful on Ludicolo, so you may want Fake Out there. If you opt for the slow-and-bulky non-scarf Politoed, I recommend a Wacan Berry for dealing with stuff like Thundurus and Zapdos, and Protect somewhere. Also, I'd replace Ludicolo's Item with Absorb Bulb, courtesy of Politoed's Surf, and an EV spread of 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe (if you're choosing a high-speed spread).

Apart from that, pretty sold team, good luck!

Just a bit of a nitpick, I never really found Protect helpful on Ludicolo, so you may want Fake Out there. If you opt for the slow-and-bulky non-scarf Politoed, I recommend a Wacan Berry for dealing with stuff like Thundurus and Zapdos, and Protect somewhere. Also, I'd replace Ludicolo's Item with Absorb Bulb, courtesy of Politoed's Surf, and an EV spread of 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe (if you're choosing a high-speed spread).

Apart from that, pretty sold team, good luck!
Those suggestions could definitely work, especially the Ludicolo one. Thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)