SS OU Ape and friends

The following team is build around the sweeping/breaking power of Darmanitan-G and his (special) friends Dragapult and Grimmsnarl.
I don't have any prior competitive pokemon experience so this team is based on what I met on the ladder the past few days going up and down trying multiple different teams.

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spirit Break
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Reflect
First I learned to never try and lead with Grimmsnarl and instead try to get the ball rolling first. When his time has come his only job is then to set both light screen and reflect up. In case the enemy is running corsola/pex/ferro combo I will try to get him in right after the lead to taunt one of them and then set up the protection. In addition to that he's proven useful as a dragon slayer (or rather to get them to switch out).

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Transform
Revenge killer.. Reverse Sweep.. or also a nice lead I figured. Copy the enemy lead and always be faster than them is a great thing especially when the enemy lead is a Darmanitan-G. If that one is also running a Choice Scarf then it's up to a coin flip I guess but I noticed that many people tend to run Choice Band instead.
Ditto is also my counter for Dynamax (Gyarados, Hawlucha mainly) and does fulfill his role perfectly. The shields have also been quite useful at stopping an enemy sweeper in their tracks.

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Band
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
Well we all know what this little guy is capable of. Normally I would prefer Choice Scarf over Choice Band to outspeed potential threats, but with Ditto and Grimmsnarl on his side the choice is quite easy. With them getting rid of his threats, Darmanitan-G can start sweeping through the enemy team - in dynamax if necessary. In general I don't lead with him unless I'm sure that the enemy lead is slower (Ferrothorn as example). Not sure if I could potentially allocate the EVs a bit better since I don't need that max speed.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
My friendship ended with Hydreigon and now Dragapult is my new friend. This one serves to shred through Corviknight, Toxaplex, Dragons, Ghosts, you name it. His speed assures that only a select few could outspeed him in a 1v1. Mostly I tend to switch him in, break something and switch over to Grimmsnarl or Corviknight. Grimmsnarl or Corviknight to force his switch in back out. This worked out... mostly. Thunderbolt over U-Turn since I already have enough U-Turns it feels like and Thunderbolt is absolutely necessary for Gyarados, Toxaplex and Corviknight. While I could use Fire Blast on Corviknight instead, people tend to switch to a water type.

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Court Change
- U-turn
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick
In my opinion this is the weakest link of my team but I have made good experiences with Court Change. As an example it could be used to turn webs into your favor and outspeed this monster called Dracovish. I also like Court Change since it tends to stop people from setting hazards in the first place and my Darmanitan-G doesn't really need that chip damage to finish off his victims. Besides that he's also there for his High Jump Kick and strong Fire move. U-Turn is there to get him out after a Court Change or as an example: Enemy Ferrothorn switches to Toxaplex while I predict this move and U-Turn into Darmanitan-G to finish it.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog
This little, but heavy, utility birds job is it to force Exca, Gyara or other potential threats to the rest of my team out. I have the feeling that many people think that I'm gonna start bulk up but instead I either hit a Brave Bird or U-Turn to get something else in, like Dragapult or Grimmsnarl once his threats are gone. Defog is there to get rid of hazards in case Cinderace is dead or Court Change did his job and the enemy used new hazards. I'm currently thinking if Defog is absolutely necessary in this team considering how fast it tends to be. Here I am thinking of switching Defog with Bulk Up, but this will require further testing.

I was also thinking of removing Corviknight for a Gyarados to have an additional Sweeper, but I've seen way too many people running Rotom or Ditto just waiting for me to make a move..

Any feedback would be appreciated :D

Fun how I based my team around Corsola but beside him and your Ditto our teams are the same (different movesets though). I don't think you need a fighting move on Cinderace so maybe go for a move that doesn't share the risc of missing. Sucker Punch or Zen Headbutt could be a good option there.

Some really minor things, ditto run relaxed and min speed as well as min atk
G-Darm you really need that speed tie against opposing G-darm's, it could tell the game
Cinderace doesn't need hjk run sucker punch

I feel like I should have at least one fighting ability just in case to have a check for the few normal types that are being run or also to get rid off an enemy cinderace. Mostly they expect me to courtchange so attacking them instead worked out quite nicely so far.

Min speed ditto is useful in mirror matches I guess, so that's a change I'm going to make.

Also I decided to get rid of U-Turn on Corvi and instead take Bulk Up. Tried this for a few matches and had some good results.

Also tried to different sets of Grimmsnarl:
The double screen one above and an utility set with thunderwave, taunt and double stab.
So far both sets have great synergy with the rest of my team so I haven't decided yet which one will end up being the main one.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)