Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. (RoA Version + resource links)

I'm making a Let's Play on youtube for blue version and I wanted some suggestions for a team.

Here is what I'm planning my team to be:

Charizard
Starmie/ Lapras
Snorlax/ Tauros
Exeggutor
Rhydon
Zapdos

I'm making a Let's Play on youtube for blue version and I wanted some suggestions for a team.

Here is what I'm planning my team to be:

Charizard
Starmie/ Lapras
Snorlax/ Tauros
Exeggutor
Rhydon
Zapdos
Well, Charizard you can get early due to gaining the starter of choice in the beginning of the game, of course. Starmie I forget exactly where you get it and how far into the game you get it. Lapras you get I believe around the 6th gym leader time or maybe before the 7th/8th; I forget. Snorlax is great in-game due to gaining it twice or if you kill one you can capture the other, etc. Tauros is going to be a pain in the ass to capture, and Snorlax just seems easier since this is in-game. Exeggutor can be a pain, as I think you can only catch Exeggcute in the Safari Zone, but not 100% sure on that. Rhydon you can by catching a Rhyhorn in the Safari Zone along with those other Pokemon mentioned above also caught int he Safari Zone and it can be caught in one of those caves (unless it appears only in Victory Road, if so, then better to catch it in the Safari Zone as they're pretty easy to catch in there). And of course Zapdos is where it is and it's at a decent time point in the game for its use.

The team overall that I would go with is:

Charizard
Starmie (if you cant catch any Staryu, then just enjoy the free Lapras given to you)
Snorlax (if you're lucky with the other Safari Zone Pokemon, then take your luck with Tauros as well)
Exeggutor (if you can catch an Exeggcute in the S.Z., then go for it)
Rhydon (if you can catch one in the S.Z., then go for it as well)
Zapdos

~ Aether Nexus

Don't forget the easiest way (without the mew glitch) to catch Tauros (and any Safari pokemon like Kangy and Chansey) is to go to the Safari zone, go to the little area where Tauros is, then leave directly (time out) (you don't have to find the Tauros, just walk in the grass in his area). Now, fly to Cinn. Island (be sure not to walk in any other grass) and surf up and down the coast. The pokemon you find will all be Safari pokemon from that specific area, so you'll soon find a wild Tauros, and you can use an actual pokeball instead of a safari ball. haha good times

rhydon is overrated!

I was wondering whether it was worth using both Nidoqueen and Nidoking in my yellow team.
Obviously the fact that they are both the same type is a pain, but they do complement each other, being slightly defensive and offensive respectively. I was just wondering in case it isn't worth it and this would just take up a slot.

how many ribbons can a poke win in emerald,and where to get them?
Well heck! I was just doing this with my Charizard. He's sitting at 55 ribbons now in Diamond, but still has work to do!

There are 25 ribbons available in pokemon Emerald.
1 for beating the champion.
20 for the contests, one for each rank and type.
1 for being chosen as a sketch model after winning a master rank contest. This is only available after activating the side quest by talking to the museum owner.
1 for winning a group of battles after 49 wins at level 50 battle tower
1 for winning a group of battles after 49 wins at open level battle tower
1 for having 510 EVs. This is in Slateport's marketplace.

Note that the battle tower in RS is much much easier than in Emerald.

There are two more ribbons available in 3rd gen that aren't available in emerald. They are in XD and Colosseum.

1 for having been a shadow pokemon and been purified (I skipped this one)
1 for beating 100 battles in a row on mount battle. I actually did the mount battle mode instead of the in-game mount battle challenge and it didn't give me a ribbon. Only after I transferred my pokemon over and did the challenge in-game did I get the ribbons. Pretty silly since it's the easier challenge.

Happy hunting!

might as well just use 2 nidokings. Defense means nothing in-game when you should be 1-2 shotting most pokemon

Was there a stat increasing cap of 999? I know if you boosted too much it would roll over to 0, but did that happen at 999?

Was there a stat increasing cap of 999? I know if you boosted too much it would roll over to 0, but did that happen at 999?
I believe this only occured in GSC. That whole thing about Marowak and the 13 attack IV's. Not sure if this happens in RBY because I believe you reach the limit of 999.

~ Aether Nexus

Were there any online simulators for pokemon stadium? It seems that this system worked better than the handhelds (e.g. focus energy and hyper beam worked as they were intended) and would therefore be a better way to compete in a competitive community.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is this a viable moveset for a Starmie in competitve and Battle Frontier?

Starmie@ Petaya Berry
252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
27 SAtk Iv, 31 Spd Iv

Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Substitute

I want to make the point that this set should have little problem setting up due to it outspeeding everything in the Battle Frontier bar a single Jolteon.

Can anyone give me a short summary of good pokemon for Battle Frontier?
I didn´t play CP when R/S/E directed(?) the metagame and so, being spoiled by the luxury of physical/special split of DPP, I now really have trouble finding some good Pokemon...

BTW don´t bother with any pokemon that MUST have hidden power. I won´t breed that much.

is finding a shiny in the fire red battle tower still a 1 in 8000 chance?
Remember, there are some set shinys in there, an Espeon and a Seaking springs to mind as of now.

Can anyone give me a short summary of good pokemon for Battle Frontier?
I didn´t play CP when R/S/E directed(?) the metagame and so, being spoiled by the luxury of physical/special split of DPP, I now really have trouble finding some good Pokemon...

BTW don´t bother with any pokemon that MUST have hidden power. I won´t breed that much.
Lessee... Starmie is supposed to be the special god there. Metagross (Choice Bander) is also a solid choice. And so is Salamence, but I have never used it. But what level are you going to play? 50 or Open?

Also remember, you don't need to be hardset with only the best pokes. Just pick some you know are decent, but you like. For example, I am probably starting sooner or later making a team of Shiftry, Hariyama and Slowbro, when I bother learning to RNG. If you need ideas, take a look through this thread. There are some teams and single pokes you can take a look at, if you need more ideas.

Lessee... Starmie is supposed to be the special god there. Metagross (Choice Bander) is also a solid choice. And so is Salamence, but I have never used it. But what level are you going to play? 50 or Open?
I thought I´d go for 50 at first and maybe, if I feel like cloning tons of Rare Candies, try to beat them open too. There is no differense between those two, is it?

My main problem was, that each and every pokemon I could think of is bad, just because of its STAB attacks being special, not physical(or the other way round)

Thx btw.

Only real difference is that in 50, especially early, you meet a fuckton of NFEs and other shitty pokes. Open has a bit more challenge into it, and uses mostly fully evolved. I personally prefer 50 since it is much faster to EV and level up to the requirements.

I want to create a ton of pokes so players don't need to bring their own games to a tournament. Can I create those pokémon and give them the attacks I want with an Action Replay?

RMT + Need Sixth Slot

I've now achieved my long hoped-for SD Wak, and now I want to build a team around him and Heracross. Let me know what you think so far, and what you would do for a sixth slot (I have a bunch of potential options).

Marowak @ Thick Club
~EQ
~RS
~HP Bug / FB (Have both right now, about to switch one out for...)
~Swords Dance

Heracross @ Leftovers/Miracleberry
~EQ
~MH
~Endure
~Reversal

Physical sweepers. Don't want to lead with them, and not sure yet if I want to lead INTO them (BP agil/pseudo-passing). (NOTE: These two are really the core for me, if that helps with your suggestions. They'd probably be the last pokes I'd be willing to sub out. Everything else is fair game.)

Electabuzz @ Leftovers
~TB
~Fire Punch
~Ice Punch
~Cross Chop

Special Sweeper #1. I should mention my friends will be using all-sweeper strategies, so I'm not sure how much I could gain tactically from putting in pokemons with other roles...but you tell me, I'm no expert. A little worried about Buzz's fragility, but he can smash a lot of things and adds a little spark to my lineup that I like.

EDIT: Well, one of my friends is using a cursing Gengar, and so may be using some competitive tactics. Feel free to tell me I need a wall, parafuser, phazer, maybe a trapper....anything at all.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
~Growth (Sharked)
~Surf
~Acid Armor
~Ice Beam

Sp. sweep / mix wall. I want a bulky, effective water mon in there and now I can get this guy growth, and he's my favorite. (Alternates were: Kingdra, Lanturn, Starmie).

Snorlax @ Leftovers
~EQ
~Body Slam
~Curse
~Rest

Pretty much standard curselax. I want to use him as a late-game cleaner, since once my early mons tear through a lot of mons and soften others, who's going to have the strength left to counter lax?

LAST SLOT: ??? @ Leftovers

I actually ran my team through Havoc's program (or the one he linked to). It said pretty consistently that mons on my team will be threatened by Machamp and the strong Darks ('Doom and 'Tar). I *think* I can cover Gengar fine with my lineup's 3x EQ, but Darks, Normals like Lax, Machamp, and maybe strong psychics worry me a little. I have Dragonite, Tyranitar, Espeon (-DK), Houndoom, Eggy (-DK), and Alakazam (-DK) pretty well trained already on my cart. There may be no "one trick pony" to settle all those possible type weaknesses, but any suggestions are welcome.

Also, let me know if -- aside from Wak and Hera -- particular mon(s) may work better for my strategy. Thanks!!

Is it possible to make an effective stall team for the OU tier without using Skarmory or Blissey/Snorlax?

Yes. Suicune/Raikou makes for one of the most formidable one-two punches in GSC. As far as physical walls go, Forretress is BETTER than Skarmory, except it's lack of phazing abilities kinda hinder it. However, you still have Reflect to work with.

And Blissey's worthless on stall teams. Any and all physical attacks break it. A DP from Pikachu makes it think twice.

I know that a shiny ditto rasies your chance of getting a shiny when breeding, but does the red gyarados do the same?

Breeding with any shiny increases your chance to get a shiny egg to 1:64. Ditto is used because it can breed with any pokemon to produce a shiny offspring. So using the Red Gyarados will do the same for the pokemon it is compatible with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)