Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

Not only that but RU lacks good hazard removers. For hazard control we have hitmontop,hitmonlee,kabutops, and sandslash as spinners and defoggers we got stuntank golbat shiftry and niche options like swanna pelliper and togetic

Are regen cores still viable? I used to always run Slowking and Amoonguss but, after ORAS it started to disappear. I'm beginning to wonder if this is still an effective play style or not.

gorex

penguin council
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
LCPL Champion
It is still viable IMO, just harder to use as the buffs that certain Pokemon got made them really viable wallbreakers in the tier
(hmm...I wonder), like Pangoro, Emboar and Tyrantrum, with the release of Knock Off and Drain Punch for Pangoro, Reckless for Emboar and Rock Head for Tyrantrum, which pretty much made them much more useable in the tier as they are able to hit much harder with the help of Swords Dance for panda, Flare Blitz and Wild Charge for boar, and Head Smash for tyrant. Now, with the release of Sheer Force for Feraligatr, it makes it easier for Gatr to muscle through the core of Slowking + Amoonguss with Crunch and Ice Punch respectively, with hazard support too.

With the ability to hit much harder with the buffs they got, they are given the ability to break through regen cores with much more ease as compared to before, which IMO is one of the reasons as to why regen cores have not been used as much nowadays.

Sorry if my post seems really shit, I am typing this out on phone. Hope you understood what I said :).

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Are regen cores still viable? I used to always run Slowking and Amoonguss but, after ORAS it started to disappear. I'm beginning to wonder if this is still an effective play style or not.
Well, I don't actually think you are asking the right question to be completely honest, as Regen cores have never really been a "playstyle". Regen cores are just cores of generally bulky Pokemon that are capable of checking a decent portion of the tier with the additional resilience that comes from regenerator. Regen cores can fit on all sorts of playstyles from stall (Alomomola + Amoonguss) to Bulky Offense (Slowking + Offensive Tangrowth), but I really find the concept of regenerator cores to be somewhat overrated. Slapping 2 or 3 regenerator Pokemon onto a team doesn't really tend to make the team that much better, unless the Pokemon were already good for the necessary role without regenerator. For example, people tend to put Amoonguss onto stall teams thinking something like: "mola + moonguss, I'm unstoppable, xD" when the reality Amoonguss doesn't really provide anything to stall teams barring the absorption of toxic spikes (usually a better Poison-type can be chosen for stall). Gorex's answer is also kind of true, Regenerator is less useful in a metagame where more Pokemon are capable of OHKOing you (or even just doing over 40% with a resisted STAB, like Emboar v Slowking or w/e), and the meta game has become more offensive in nature, as I felt Balance and Semi-stall were by far the best playstyles at the end of XY and now I wouldn't be willing to run anything more passive than bulky offense.

So basically, yes regenerator cores are still viable, but they are less effective given the offensive nature of the current meta game, on top of this, treating regen cores as a "playstyle" is really lazy team building that will probably bite you in the ass in the long run. So yeah, hope I was somewhat helpful o.o

It did, thanks guys.

I typed that question on my phone. It was wrong to call it a "play-style" more or less it's a core. I wanted to know if it's as easy to slap on a regen core with good mons and call it a day. Thanks for informing me. c:

How bad is Servine?
I done some legit things with one with some bulk and a good amount of SpA and modest nature.
HP fire to damage Esca, Synthesis to aid longevity and glare to annoy revenge killers.

bogoljubow

formerly Betapf
Hi there. I am rather new to the RU Tier; can someone explain why Ambipom and Cinccino are considered that bad? Since they are in like every second team in lower ladder, I am really curious. I can see them being overrated in lower ladder, but E an C- Rank? Appreciating a detailed explanation.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi there. I am rather new to the RU Tier; can someone explain why Ambipom and Cinccino are considered that bad? Since they are in like every second team in lower ladder, I am really curious. I can see them being overrated in lower ladder, but E an C- Rank? Appreciating a detailed explanation.
Cinccino has no moves whatsoever to hit Steel-types and seeing as how Cobalion and Mega Steelix are both two of the best Pokemon in RU right now, it kinda just sucks. It's also really easy to just wall by Pokemon like physically defensive Aromatisse and Tangworth, while getting stalled out thanks to it taking repeated LO recoil and having paper thin defenses. The Choice Band set is even easier to deal with because it can't change from Tail Slap to Bullet Seed when say, a Rhyperior comes in.

Ambipom is bad for kinda the same reason, but it has Low Kick to hurt some Steel-types, and even then, it absolutely can't do anything to any physical wall or Pokemon that isn't taking super effective damage and isn't as frail as Cinccino or something. And even Rhyperior can live two Low Kicks. Its sets are also very predictable, and it can't really do much against teams with a defensive backbone; meaning pretty much most teams outside of hyper offense.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Also, here is a discussion on Ambipom / Cincinno if you're interested. Just read up from there.

I know this might not be all that simple, but what differentiates RU from the other tiers? Like what kinds of playstyles or general philosophies tend to be very good or very bad here?

As an example, I love using Balance teams, but recently decided to stop since it seems like there are too many good offensive Pokemon in RU to have a reliable defense, and too many good defensive Pokemon to be able to get by without using shittons of brute force all the time. I guess RU is just a polarized tier.

Also, for bonus points: Why is this tier so weird?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know this might not be all that simple, but what differentiates RU from the other tiers? Like what kinds of playstyles or general philosophies tend to be very good or very bad here?

As an example, I love using Balance teams, but recently decided to stop since it seems like there are too many good offensive Pokemon in RU to have a reliable defense, and too many good defensive Pokemon to be able to get by without using shittons of brute force all the time. I guess RU is just a polarized tier.

Also, for bonus points: Why is this tier so weird?
To address your first question... well, other than the fact that it's a completely different tier with a completely different set of pokemon available to use... actually, yeah, thats what sets it different from other tiers.

As for balance, it's a perfectly viable playstyle. actually I think most playstyles are equally viable right now, there's no playstyle that's extremely dominant and one that's very poor in the current metagame at least imo.

As for why the tier is weird, no idea, I don't personally think it's weird. Unless you mean inexperienced people using bad Pokemon or weird, ineffective sets, then I don't think anyone knows why.

To address your first question... well, other than the fact that it's a completely different tier with a completely different set of pokemon available to use... actually, yeah, thats what sets it different from other tiers.

As for balance, it's a perfectly viable playstyle. actually I think most playstyles are equally viable right now, there's no playstyle that's extremely dominant and one that's very poor in the current metagame at least imo.

As for why the tier is weird, no idea, I don't personally think it's weird. Unless you mean inexperienced people using bad Pokemon or weird, ineffective sets, then I don't think anyone knows why.
Well yeah, I meant apart from the obvious of there being different Pokemon around. Thanks though!

What are some good counters to Abomasnow that can easily come in on any set? I feel like practically every team I make is weak to some variant of it.

What are some good counters to Abomasnow that can easily come in on any set? I feel like practically every team I make is weak to some variant of it.
Bronzong is the best Abomasnow switch in in the tier from a defensive standpoint but you should be careful wiht +2 Wood Hammer. Cobalion is a great check as long as you dont switch into Focus Blast

Bronzong is the best Abomasnow switch in in the tier from a defensive standpoint but you should be careful wiht +2 Wood Hammer. Cobalion is a great check as long as you dont switch into Focus Blast
galbia you forgot to mention doublade can check both sets actually as it isn't taking much from earthquakes unless they are at +2. Unboosted earthquake from both sets only 3hkos it.

I am sorry, because tons of people have probably asked this already. I see a lot of people with these cool badges next to their names, and I was wondering how they acquired those. So if anyone knows, I would love to know :]

* Please don't reply with: 'You don't get them by begging for them!' <-- That is not my intention I'm just curious :]

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am sorry, because tons of people have probably asked this already. I see a lot of people with these cool badges next to their names, and I was wondering how they acquired those. So if anyone knows, I would love to know :]

* Please don't reply with: 'You don't get them by begging for them!' <-- That is not my intention I'm just curious :]
This question doesn't belong in this thread, but read this for badge info: http://www.smogon.com/badge_faq

OK this is probably a stupid question but here goes:
Why are Hitmonchan an Ambipom so terrible in RU? On paper they seem like they could function alright, with Hitmonchan being a decent specially bulky spinner with assault vest, pseudo-recovery in the form of Drain Punch, and solid coverage with elemental punches that are further boosted by Iron Fist, while Ambipom seems decent for firing off strong Technician Fake Outs and has solid coverage with Knock Off and Low Kick; it can even break subs and hit decently hard with Technician-boosted Double Hit. I mean, I'm sure they actually are terrible otherwise everyone wouldn't think that, but they seem alright in theory to me anyway. Thanks

*braces for incoming shit*

OK this is probably a stupid question but here goes:
Why are Hitmonchan an Ambipom so terrible in RU? On paper they seem like they could function alright, with Hitmonchan being a decent specially bulky spinner with assault vest, pseudo-recovery in the form of Drain Punch, and solid coverage with elemental punches that are further boosted by Iron Fist, while Ambipom seems decent for firing off strong Technician Fake Outs and has solid coverage with Knock Off and Low Kick; it can even break subs and hit decently hard with Technician-boosted Double Hit. I mean, I'm sure they actually are terrible otherwise everyone wouldn't think that, but they seem alright in theory to me anyway. Thanks

*braces for incoming shit*
Hitmonchan's lack of knock off makes it terribly easy to wall alongside the fact almost every fighting type outclasses it. Ambipom is considered bad as it really has no niche except for fake out which is a very questionable niche at that and fake out can be seen from a mile away and it's average attack makes it terribly easy to wall. Also ambipom is outclassed offensively as well.

imo, Hitmonchan isn't actually bad, just too far outclassed by its fellow Hitmon's in both an offensive sense and defensive sense. Hitmonlee is pretty much the same as Hitmonchan statwise, except a very slightly smaller defense, but Hitmonlee has better abilities, better movepool(Drain is cool but not worth it), and is generally better. And Ambipom is just very predictable and falls to bad players using him in the wrong ways. I see him being a bit decent actually, like D or C- rank, but still nothing to freak out about.

To answer the other question.

Ambipom is outclassed in being a normal-attacker due to being a normal type itself, having very flaccid defense for a Physical Attacker, piss-poor coverage, and quite frankly, an outclassed niche. Being a normal-type in this tier is a mixed blessing, but since it's Ambipom's only typing it is horrendous in a tear filled with Priority and Revenge Killers. Double Hit isn't very useful for breaking subs as other pokemon like Cinccino or other pokemon that can get around subs, (Infil Golbat) stand a much better chance in this metagame than ambi can. Ambipom's niche as a fake-out attacker isn't a very good trait. As a normal attacker, it's outclassed by Cinccino. As a Physical attacker, it's outclassed by Sawk, Hitmonlee, Tyrantrum, and various othert hings. As a fake out user, Hitmonlee Unburden does a better job than Ambi. Various people have tried to defend him with gimmicky and otherwise very lackluster sets with Last Resort + Fake Out / Beat Up, but this is just more people desperately clinging onto a pokemon that statistically and in practice, is shit.

Do us a favor, for you and the rest of RU. Don't. Use. Ambipom.

...Oh and hitmonchan too for similar reasons.

Ambipom is outclassed in being a normal-attacker due to being a normal type itself, having very flaccid defense for a Physical Attacker, piss-poor coverage, and quite frankly, an outclassed niche. Being a normal-type in this tier is a mixed blessing, but since it's Ambipom's only typing it is horrendous in a tear filled with Priority and Revenge Killers. Double Hit isn't very useful for breaking subs as other pokemon like Cinccino or other pokemon that can get around subs, (Infil Golbat) stand a much better chance in this metagame than ambi can. Ambipom's niche as a fake-out attacker isn't a very good trait. As a normal attacker, it's outclassed by Cinccino. As a Physical attacker, it's outclassed by Sawk, Hitmonlee, Tyrantrum, and various othert hings. As a fake out user, Hitmonlee Unburden does a better job than Ambi. Various people have tried to defend him with gimmicky and otherwise very lackluster sets with Last Resort + Fake Out / Beat Up, but this is just more people desperately clinging onto a pokemon that statistically and in practice, is shit.

desperately clinging onto a pokemon that statistically and in practice, is shit...

Have you seen the statistics anyway?? , people like you talk shit about ambipom even thought what you said is completely wrong.
I dont believe any of what you said You can see it by yourself here>http://www.smogon.com/stats/2015-02/ru-1630.txt
Ambipom has way more usage than Cincinno soooo...
Have fun using your Fake out Unburden Hitmonlee without STAB Fake out, and hitting weaker than Ambipom most classes such as poison and fairies.

Have you seen the statistics anyway?? , people like you talk shit about ambipom even thought what you said is completely wrong.
I dont believe any of what you said You can see it by yourself here>http://www.smogon.com/stats/2015-02/ru-1630.txt
So what if Ambipom is fucking #30 in the 1630 usage stats? It's not like 1630 is even remotely difficult to get to if you are competent. It's an awfully huge drop from fucking #1 in the 0 stats. Hell, in the 1760 stats it drops even further down to #61. If Ambipom is so good, why does it have such inconsistent usage across different ratings?

Have fun using your Fake out Unburden Hitmonlee without STAB Fake out, and hitting weaker than Ambipom most classes such as poison and fairies.
Have to agree with the first part, Fake Out Hitmonlee is a garbage set and worse than Ambipom, but that still doesn't mean that Ambipom is good. Hitmonlee does have Poison Jab to hit Fairies though, which does about the same as Life Orb Ambipom's Return, even if Hitmonlee is itemless. As for Poison-types, there are only five relevant ones in the tier. Neither of them can beat Amoonguss or Qwilfish, they can both either beat or be beaten by Golbat depending on things, and both of them can beat Drapion and Skuntank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)