"Attack, Rush and Destroy" NU Offensive Team

After reading NU thread I wanted to built NU team. With all those offensive behemots like Ursaring, Medicham or Pinsir it's really good tier for offensive, aggresive plays, quite similar to Ubers with just less power. And stall and balanced teams starts to be boring for me, so I wanted to create one more offensive team. Idea behind this team is simple - keep attacking and weaken as much pokemon as possible to let Drifblin or Ursaring have their final deadly sweep. In those battle I had it works fine, however I feel that some pokemon may give me trouble if I'll see them. Anyway, here is it:

Pinsir @ Focus Sash

Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
~ Stealth Rock
~ X-Scissor
~ Earthquake
~ Quick Attack

Lead is really important role in any pokemon team. I needed pokemon that can set-up Stealth Rock and which can also attack with good, offensive power. And Pinsir fits those criteria almost perfectly. Stealth Rock is good move, which is even deadlier in tier, which is full of bug and flying type pokemon. X-Scissor is good, solid STAB. Earthquake to hit those pesky Ground type, but I guess about replacing it for Close Combat. Quick Attack let me beat some leads in two attacks, when they think I'm going to set up rocks on battlefield. Of course it's weaker, but using this lead is quite similar to Metagross ones in OU. Anyway, it's solid choice and most of times do it's job.

Lapras @ Life Orb

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpA / 224 Spe
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
~ Dragon Dance
~ Return
~ Hydro Pump
~ Ice Beam

My teams wall-breaker. It OHKO or 2OHKO most of NU metagame with solid comfort. And Dragon Dancing Lapras is not that popular like in the past, so it can catch some people by surprise. Especially Mixed Set. If they send something like Aggron or Leafeon to wall this Lapras, then both of them are easily OHKOed by Hydro Pump (in case of Aggron) or Ice Beam (Leafeon). But main attacking option here is Return, which boosted by Dragon Dance hits surprisingly hard. Those speed EVs are enough to outspeed Max Speed Jolly Leafeon after one Dragon Dance. But I still think about using +Speed boosting nature to make a jump on Manectric and Electabuzz, which may trouble me if they come safely on battlefield. It's really good wall-breaker and whoever underestimate it, ends up in many situations with few fainted pokemon. As much as I love this guy, I think something like Dragonair or Electabuzz would be nice, as strong electric attacks, fortunately for me rare, may give me alot of trouble. It's quite hard to find all those resists and answers with that many offensive pokemon in NU and I couldn't cover that nasty electric weakness.

Primeape @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
~ Close Combat
~ U-Turn
~ Ice Punch
~ Stone Edge

Main role for this guy is revenge killing and being last resort in some tight situations. Also Primeape is my only reliable answer against SDUrsaring, which would sweep through my team quite easily. Also Primeape has access to U-Turn, which is really good scouting move and helps me to keep offensive momentum. Ice Punch is mainly for Jumpluff leads, against which I switch Pinsir on Primeape and easily OHKO it back. Stone Edge is mainly for rare Articuno and some bug types like Venomoth, which otherwise would easily handle other hits. In my opinion it's one of the best users of Choice Scarf in NU tier and my only sleep absorber. I don't think anything can replace this guy, as he does great job in this team.

Drifblim @ Petaya Berry

Ability: Unburden
EVs: 144 Def / 252 SpA / 60 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
~ Substitute
~ Calm Mind
~ Shadow Ball
~ HP Fighting

I needed some offensive power on special side and also something, that can easily switch on fighting and normal attacks from strong physical attackers like Slaking or Hitmonchan. Also lack of Earth resist means that Rhydon also gives alot of trouble, so Drifblin in my opinion was a good choice. And also Drifblim gives some bulk, which this team really needs. This Drifblim is supposed to Calm Mind as much as possible, sub up to Petaya Berry activation and sweep. Shadow Ball + HP Fighting gives unresisted combination only in two attacks. I think about investing more EVs is speed, just to make setting up much easier. It's good pokemon, but I feel I'm not using it to the fullest potential, so I'm ready to replace it. But I guess it's not that important.

Gardevoir @ Life Orb

Ability: Trace
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
~ Psychic
~ Thunderbolt
~ Signal Beam
~ Will-O-Wisp

Anti-weather pokemon, which stops most weather teams before they go totally rampant. Trace is really great ability and Gardevoir is also really reliable fire absorber, tracing Flash Fire boost and Gardevoir is also solid answer against pokemon like Flareon and Ninetales without Dark Pulse. I thought about using Calm Mind, but with Taunt users being really popular in NU having that many set-up pokemon is quite risky. Will-O-Wisp is really good answer against those pesky physical attackers and especially Skuntank, which think that it can switch on battlefield for free. Those few HP Evs help to take one or two strong special attacks and Gardevoir has both bulk and good offensive potential. I think that Focus Blast would be nice somewhere, but it's shaky accuracy is big problem. Anyway, Gardevoir helps me alot.

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb

Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
~ Swords Dance
~ Facade
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake

Fast and dangerous sweeper. Quick Feet Ursaring is great example of this. After one Swords Dance, not many slower pokemon can handle offensive power, which this Ursaring has. Even if it's predictible, it can't be underestimated. It also has good synergy with both Gardevoir and Drifblim, switching easily on ghost attack and from there Ursaring may start his fun. Facade is extremely strong STAB, which dents anything that doesn't resist it. Crunch is mainly for psychic and ghost pokemon like Dusclops. And Earthquake in the last slot for steel type pokemon like Aggron or Bastiodon, which would otherwise easily wall me. Ursaring is surprisingly rare and I'm not sure why. But if used right, it's really dangerous sweeper.

Anyway, that's my team. I enjoy playing it, however I see few troubles, which may or give me hard time.

a) Non-choiced Medicham. Fortunately rare, but it if switches safely in, something slower will die for sure. Scarfer is easier to deal with, but with some good prediction also may give me hard time.
b) Electric attacks. Manectric, Raichu or Electabuzz means trouble with switching in, fortunately Ursaring with activated Orb or Primeape don't have problem with revenge killing most of them. Bulky Ampharos would be troublesome, fortunately they don't invest that much in Special Attack. However it's a problem.

I guess that's it. I appreciate any constructive rates and opinions. Thanks for any help. I hope that you like my team. Cheers.

moltres would probably destroy this team. with no fire resist your kinda screwed against it.

Raichu could be troubling, however it really depends on the speed they are running.

You could try to get regirock or regiice in the team. i dont know what you would take out. they can still do some damage and wall their respective part of the spectrum nicely.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^What the hell, did you read the title?

Anyway, welcome to NU! xD

Pinsir - The most common lead is most definitely Persian, and Pinsir is 2hkoed by it (Fake out + Return). This is why I would consider Protect over one of your attacks, probably X-Scissor but that's down to you.

Lapras - I would run a +Spe nature for the reasons you have said yourself, most people will be using Manectric and Electabuzz

Primeape - No qualms here

Drifblim - Depending on what you need from Drifblim you could either stick with the set you are currently or go with the more offensive CMRest set:

Drifblim @ Chesto Berry
Ability - Unburden
Nature - Modest
EVs - 12HP/252Def/124SpA/32Sp.Def/88Spe
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Shadow Ball
- HP Fighting

This set gets the jump on many opponents expecting a CMSub set and makes a great late game sweeper. It's more dangerous than it looks on paper.

Gardevoir - Looks good to me

Ursaring - Also works

^That's just my quick opinion. This looks like a really good team and I hope I get to play it when there's an NU ladder! *Crosses fingers*

SubPetaya and Chesto Rest Drifblim are equally good, IMO. You get about the same number of boosts, but SubPetaya leaves you with a Substitute up, while Chesto Rest leaves you with full HP.

Emmm... yeah, both Moltres and Regirock are UU. That's for first.

For second:

a) Hmmm... Protect isn't a bad idea, however I love attacking those cocky Leafoens, which think that they're safe. But I guess it's worth a shot as Persian leads may be annoying if played right.
b) Yeah, I think that's something that I looked for. I prefer more offensive Drifblim set like this. I'll test it out for sure.

Thanks for your positive comments. Any other ideas ?

The one thing I don't like about this team is how many set-up sweepers you have. As you said, there's a huge prominence in Taunt users in NU, and I think you would benefit greatly from having a second attacker that goes for the attack right off the bat. Along with that, people who are running these types of attackers can potentially get the jump on you as you are trying to set up.

I think that replacing Lapras with another powerful wall breaker would be best, as it would allow you to go for the offensive sooner, putting on more pressure. I think mixed Entei would be a great replacement. It is equally as bulky, and has the base stats to go for the attack right off the bat (115 Atk/90 SAtk/100 Spe). It also gets slightly better coverage, hitting more threats for super effective. It also handles Electabuzz pretty well, taking neutral damage from everything it packs.

(Taken from analysis):

Entei @ Life Orb
48 Atk, 208 SAtk, 252 Spe
Naive Nature
-Calm Mind/Return/Body Slam
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Stone Edge
-HP Ground

As I said before, too many set-up sweepers can be kind of dangerous. But CM really does let Entei hit certain threats with ease. I only recommend CM if you are running Flamethrower instead of FB, as the loss in power is noticable. But if you have Fire Blast, I would go for Return for some more physical coverage or Body Slam for the same + potential parahax. HP Ground OHKOs like, all of NUs physical walls without any CM boosts. And Stone Edge is just the best physical attack that Entei packs.

Anywho, that's my suggestion. I think it is overall more offensive than Lapras and would fit well in an offensive team.

You might think about changing Petaya Berry on Drifblim to Salac berry for the +1 speed, since you will already be boosting SpA with CM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)