Attitude problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Not 100% sure where to post this but oh well.

Right now I am sure you have all heard those complaints from people about Smogon. The thing is, most of them are true. This place is extremely elitist, with many people here being cold to "noobs", and despising other equally valid Pokemon sites like Project Pokemon and Serebii (yes i know there are exceptions, quite a few people are extremely helpful and nice, I am just describing the general attitude). As for the way mods treat people who make silly posts, well that is just beyond me. The posts are absolute TROLLS. If ANY other user made a post that said something as unintelligent as these people do, they would be infracted IMMEDIATELY. Also it's not funny. Simple as that. SURELY you have better things to do then sit there insulting someone. Aren't mods suppose to help towards the site? Isn't that WHY they are mods? I know they are harsh and I accept that, it is kind of necessary. But the insulting posts drive me insane, if you said those things in real life, you would get fucking bashed. Take it from me, it would happen.

Well that's it, I can't say "improve the fucking attitude here". As much as I wish it would happen, I know it won't. I also know I am going to get troll responses as per usual. That's just a part of these people's lives, who clearly are abused in some kind of way in real life, or they would feel no need to treat people this way on the internet. It is almost inhuman.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
"Lurk more. It is never enough." is possibly the best advice in existence.
No one is forcing anyone to come to smogon. If you don't like it: fuck off.

Last two sentences killed me.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Right now I am sure you have all heard those complaints from people about Smogon. The thing is, most of them are true. This place is extremely elitist, with many people here being cold to "noobs", and despising other equally valid Pokemon sites like Project Pokemon and Serebii (yes i know there are exceptions, quite a few people are extremely helpful and nice, I am just describing the general attitude). As for the way mods treat people who make silly posts, well that is just beyond me. The posts are absolute TROLLS. If ANY other user made a post that said something as unintelligent as these people do, they would be infracted IMMEDIATELY. Also it's not funny. Simple as that. SURELY you have better things to do than sit there insulting someone. Aren't mods supposed to help towards the site? Isn't that WHY they are mods? I know they are harsh and I accept that, it is kind of necessary. But the insulting posts drive me insane, if you said those things in real life, you would get fucking bashed. Take it from me, it would happen.

Well that's it, I can't say "improve the fucking attitude here". As much as I wish it would happen, I know it won't. I also know I am going to get troll responses as per usual. That's just a part of these people's lives, who clearly are abused in some kind of way in real life, or they would feel no need to treat people this way on the internet. It is almost inhuman.
You're about the third or fourth person to post a topic almost identical to this within the last couple months. I have several questions for you. One, why do you say this like there AREN'T elitists on Serebii and PP? This is the INTERNET, and anyone who's spent more than five minutes online knows that there are elitists no matter where you go. The internet is a place where people are protected behind their computer screens, so their boldness and bluntness show up full force. It's safer to be honest and speak your mind online, as opposed to real life where you're scared to get "fucking bashed". Your post seems to completely ignore this core principle, pretending we can all just get along and worry about each other's feelings. The harsh reality is that we cannot. When opinions begin to differ, hostility is not far behind. This is not just limited to the internet, either. We as humans have a tendency to be intolerant of opinions that differ from our own, and this leads to friction most of the time. If you're coming into an environment such as this and expecting people to be suddenly different than they are anywhere else, you're sadly naive.

Also aren't you being a bit hypocritical in your last paragraph? You know, where you generalize about this site's population and assume we are abused in real life in some way?

All joking aside, I understand how you feel. It would be nice if everyone just magically wanted to help each other. It would be nice if everyone was nothing but polite and respectful toward one another, and that we all lived in perfect harmony. But, as I'm sure you're well aware, perfection does not exist, and hoping for such is little more than a fantasy. Sorry for dissecting you, but I suggest you devote your energies to other more meaningful pursuits, and less toward e-righteousness.

Right now I am sure you have all heard those complaints from people about Smogon. The thing is, most of them are true. This place is extremely elitist, with many people here being cold to "noobs", and despising other equally valid Pokemon sites like Project Pokemon and Serebii (yes i know there are exceptions, quite a few people are extremely helpful and nice, I am just describing the general attitude). As for the way mods treat people who make silly posts, well that is just beyond me. The posts are absolute TROLLS. If ANY other user made a post that said something as unintelligent as these people do, they would be infracted IMMEDIATELY. Also it's not funny. Simple as that. SURELY you have better things to do then sit there insulting someone. Aren't mods suppose to help towards the site? Isn't that WHY they are mods? I know they are harsh and I accept that, it is kind of necessary. But the insulting posts drive me insane, if you said those things in real life, you would get fucking bashed. Take it from me, it would happen.

So which one is it?

Seems to me you're probably singling out specific moments.. because honestly, it's not that bad. And if you think this is bad.. maybe you need to get out into the real world more. Your mindset would get fucking bashed. Take it from me, it would happen.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Happy post 1111 Phadunk! We should turn this thread into a celebration of that magnificent milestone!

There are elitists everywhere, it's not just a problem with Smogon. If you can't handle the fact that people abuse the anonomity (idgaf if i spelled it wrong) of the internet for whatever reason, you probably shouldn't be on it.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Really I don't think that Smogon in all that elitist; there are just so many retarded posters on this site that it seems that way.

It's a competitive Pokemon community, if you don't have the common sense to lurk a bit and learn the game from a competitive aspect before posting, then you deserve to be pushed around a bit.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
So which one is it?

Seems to me you're probably singling out specific moments.. because honestly, it's not that bad. And if you think this is bad.. maybe you need to get out into the real world more. Your mindset would get fucking bashed. Take it from me, it would happen.
I mean the mods are harsh when it comes to rules. Some people complain about it but I know it's necessary to be harsh. I mean in Trou...seriously have you read those posts? They are just insulting or trolling.

Heh, "my mindset" would not get bashed. Have you ever thought of standing up for others? Usually in real life you don't get bashed for that, or if you do its for a good cause. I just don't see a lot of that here on Smogon, I just see a load of people putting down one person.

EDIT:

hi im abused in real life by threads like these
PERFECT example of what I mean.

Maybe if I wasn't being serious. I love it how people like you just dismiss things people say as "trolljobs" and don't pay any heed to ANYTHING they say.
You're complaining that a community that strongly values certain characteristics isn't welcoming to people who lack those characteristics. It's either trolling or stupidity, I guess I should apply Hanlon's razor.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Lol the smogon people are actually release nice people once you get to know them. Just don't post stupid things. I know it sucks to made fun of, but they're just kidding around. Honestly would you rather have your thread instantly locked + moderated?

Gamefaqs mods on the other hand...

RODAN

Banned deucer.
also skymin_flower

after you go on irc you will find these trolls to be great people and form friendships n shit

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You're stereotyping. Most noobs who make a new stupid post get torn a new ass for a reason. Usually because it's stupid, and they didnt read the rules.

Also this place is for competitive battling, not for gimmicky things like Specs Breloom. That solves the whole OU whore mystery. I love CB Blissey as much as the next guy but it's not for Smogon :\

And seriously, who despises other sites? It's actually in the rules clearly that bashing other sites is not allowed.

What is it with these god damn hippies man, coming in here and telling us how to do shit instead of preaching this bs to whatever cesspool they came from.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you have an issue with an abusive mod, its better to pm / talk to an admin about it then make a thread and get trolled by members who don't matter.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Yes, we must really despise Serebii, considering we link to their pokedex entries in most of the new B/W analyses....

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
honestly, it just sounds like you're looking at "a forum" singularly and only complaining about this particular place. it is not as if there are people looking for real advice or opinions in other such subforums like smeargle's studio or the wifi forums, and they're only met with snarky remarks and smart-ass comments like you might find here, where that sort of 'immature' behavior is not only tolerated, but ACCEPTED. come on, this particular subforum is supposed to be the off-topic, relaxed portion of the site.

also i don't even get what your mentioning of trou is for, that is purely an example of what not to do on the forums, anywhere. any trolling and mean-modding done there is completely 'justified' and no one is really getting their feelings hurt by threads that are put in there and commented on. you know what you're doing if you make a thread that will likely go to trou, and you don't give a fuck about it

This is probably as good a place as any.

Skymin_Flower said:
Right now I am sure you have all heard those complaints from people about Smogon. The thing is, most of them are true.
I know the complaints about Smogon. I heard them before I joined the site, and continue to find them on the internet. And since joining the site and getting to know the people, I've found them to be false.

Skymin_Flower said:
This place is extremely elitist, with many people here being cold to "noobs", and despising other equally valid Pokemon sites like Project Pokemon and Serebii (yes i know there are exceptions, quite a few people are extremely helpful and nice, I am just describing the general attitude).
These sentences I disagree with heavily. In what way are we elitist? If you want elitist, you should have seen 2006 Smogon. This Smogon is very inviting to people, and is friendly. I take it you haven't visited the IRC channels, because people are always willing to help there and make jokes in good fun at everyone. If you visited any of the IRC channels, your view of this site being "elitist" would very likely change, as it did with me when I got to know people through IRC.

Also, so far as I know (and I'm only a super mod), we do not despise any other sites. What proof do you have that we despise other sites?

Skymin_Flower said:
As for the way mods treat people who make silly posts, well that is just beyond me. The posts are absolute TROLLS. If ANY other user made a post that said something as unintelligent as these people do, they would be infracted IMMEDIATELY. Also it's not funny. Simple as that. SURELY you have better things to do then sit there insulting someone. Aren't mods suppose to help towards the site? Isn't that WHY they are mods? I know they are harsh and I accept that, it is kind of necessary. But the insulting posts drive me insane, if you said those things in real life, you would get fucking bashed. Take it from me, it would happen.
You are not separating the Pokemon Forums from A Forum. The social forum has much more leeway in what is allowed and not, as it supposed to be more casual. In fact, warning aren't handed out frequently in A Forum at all. Believe it or not, most mods don't get pleasure from searching every thread and every post to meet a daily quota of 5 posts to warn and 20 to delete.

Also, humour is an acquired taste, and what one person finds funny, another person might not even bat an eyelash at. To complain about the mods sense of humour is futile, since

Skymin_Flower said:
Yes, one post on a forum from a non-staff member isn't going to change the forums attitude. One staff members post might not even change the forum's attitude much. The fact is, this is one of the best forums I've been to.

Since I am probably one of the elitists, I decided to go ahead and fix up Fishy's latest post a bit. It was quite the hot mess.

honestly, it sounds like you're looking at "a forum" alone but attributing it to the whole site. it is not as if there are people looking for real advice or opinions in other subforums like smeargle's studio or the wifi forums, and they're only met with snarky remarks and smart-ass comments like you might find here, where that sort of 'immature' behavior is not only tolerated, but ACCEPTED. come on, this particular subforum is supposed to be the off-topic, relaxed portion of the sitethis sentence is really confusing, I just gave up on it.

also i don't even get what your mentioning of trou is for, as trou is purely an example of what not to do anywhere on the forums. any trolling and mean-modding???mini-modding? done there is completely 'justified', and no one is really getting their feelings hurt by threads that are put in there and commented on. you know what you're doing if you make a thread that will likely go to trou, but you don't give a fuck about it
also serebii is a fucking terrible site; I am sure they perform some sort of useful duties, but their forums and users and creator are all really horrible

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
if you ever battle captkirby, be sure to thoroughly 6-0 him; if your pokemon do NOT have exactly full HP he will convince you that it was anything but a 6-0

DISCLAIMER: captkirby is especially ornery if he doesn't get exactly 7.45234 hours of sleep in his nest!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)