Bastiodon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not discuss tiering or whether or not Bastiodon will be banned.

Bastiodon
The Shield Pokemon
Rock/Steel
60/52/168/47/138/30​

Abilities: Sturdy and Soundproof (DW)
Weaknesses and Resistances:
4x: Fighting, Ground
2x: Water
.5x:Ice, Psychic, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, Dark
.25x: Normal, Flying
Immune: Poison

Notable Moves:
-Level Up:
Protect, Iron Defense, Taunt, Block, Endure, Metal Burst, Iron Head, Heavy Bomber
-Machine:
Roar, Toxic, Taunt, Protect, Knock Down, Torment, Rest, Substitute
-Pre Evo:
Counter, Curse, Stealth Rock, Wide Guard
-4th Gen:
(TM) Stealth Rock, Sleep Talk
(HGSS Tutor) Magic Coat
(Pt Tutor) Magnet Rise

Overview:
Bastiodon has always been sub par. It has bad defensive typing, giving it two 4x weaknesses to two common types, it has horrible 52/47/30 attacking stats, and only one boosting move that raises attack. But it is great defensively. Apart from his typing, Bastiodon boasts massive 60/168/138 defenses, and its partial steel typing gives it a plethora of resistances and an immunity. His movepool is also great defensively. He has everything: Torment, Taunt, Counter, Magic Coat, RestTalk, and even Stealth Rock. In the 5th Gen, Bastiodon picked up Soundproof as his Dream World ability. This ability leaves him immune to sound based moves. This isn't very helpful, unless you are running a boosting set, leaving you immune to Roar. Sturdy is almost always the better option, so that even a high power Close Combat can't OHKO you.

I am not good at making sets, I will add them as you all make them. If I try I will probably fuck up and someone will get all bitchy.

Thanks. Discuss!

A lead set could work, although it has competition in the form of Aggron who also has Sturdy + Metal Burst.

Bastiodon @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
EV: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Metal Burst
- Rest
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Yeah... the best I could come up with besides the obligatory Custap + Sturdy build. Chesto + Taunt beats Darkrai leads, and if they Focus Blast you can Metal Burst. Rest + Chesto lets you get back to full health after taking some damage and reactivating Sturdy. Stealth Rock is in the last slot so he can provide some sort of support for the team. But wow, he really is subpar. I've always liked its design but its typing does it no favors. If you have Aromatherapy support you could run Leftovers > Chesto I suppose.

Its typing is not that bad, really. It has some painful weaknesses, but look at those resistances! thats 10! I'm quite sure it can check a lot of the new gen 5 mons.

A lead set I used for a while to great effect in ubers was

-Stealth Rock
-Metal burst
-Flamethrower
-Magic Coat

Since this thing is ludicrously bulky it can easily reflect hazards and sponge attacks from most leads. Flamethrower is in there to deal with forretress. It did well until it became quite well known on the ladder and people started playing around it better, but it is a good surprise.

A Curse set might work to help out Bastiodon's poor Attack:
-Curse
-Iron Head/Rock Slide
-Rest
-Sleep Talk/Metal Burst
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP/8 Atk/248 SpD
Item: Leftovers

I think a support set would be best so we can differentiate it from Aggron who does offensive sets much better and has a higher defense stat.

A Curse set might work to help out Bastiodon's poor Attack:
-Curse
-Iron Head/Rock Slide
-Rest
-Sleep Talk/Metal Burst
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP/8 Atk/248 SpD
Item: Leftovers
So I guess you're just hoping your opponent doesn't have a bulky water, bulky ground, fighting type, or physically bulky phazer? I don't think that's a safe bet in any metagame.

I just don't see Bastio going far in Gen5 with its rainbow of fighting types of all sorts. Metal Burst is interesting but not terribly useful on a Pokemon with high defenses/low HP, and that's basically all it has going for it.

So I guess you're just hoping your opponent doesn't have a bulky water, bulky ground, fighting type, or physically bulky phazer? I don't think that's a safe bet in any metagame.

I just don't see Bastio going far in Gen5 with its rainbow of fighting types of all sorts. Metal Burst is interesting but not terribly useful on a Pokemon with high defenses/low HP, and that's basically all it has going for it.
Those Pokemon will have to be taken down first before this particular Bastiodon comes in. As said in its analysis, Slowbro is a good partner for Bastiodon because it can take out Fighting and Ground Pokemon with its STABs. They cover each other's weaknesses pretty well.

breh

強いだね
Those Pokemon will have to be taken down first before this particular Bastiodon comes in. As said in its analysis, Slowbro is a good partner for Bastiodon because it can take out Fighting and Ground Pokemon with its STABs. They cover each other's weaknesses pretty well.
Problem is why would you be using bastiodon in the first place? seriously everything about it is terrible. Registeel outclasses it, aggron outclasses it, damn near every steel type outclasses it. Nice defences combine with shitty typing and godawful attacking stats to make bastiodon unusable, no matter how much support you give it.

Problem is why would you be using bastiodon in the first place? seriously everything about it is terrible. Registeel outclasses it, aggron outclasses it, damn near every steel type outclasses it. Nice defences combine with shitty typing and godawful attacking stats to make bastiodon unusable, no matter how much support you give it.
Good point. Bastiodon really didn't get anything new in Gen V anyway, apart from the newly improved Sturdy and Soundproof.

Bastion is hard to salvage.
It didn't even get Dragon Tail which would have helped out the Torment set

+Def Bastiondon@Leftovers
~Substitute
~Torment
~Protect
~Roar/Toxic

Problem with basti is he dont have reliable recovery and his hp is low.
And his ability dont help much in tanking

anyone though about pairing it up with shinpoora , would make a good defensive core , at least in the lower tier , they cover each other weakness perfectly (except for the electric weakness of shinpora )

Just saying such a wide array of pokemon shouldn't have to be removed for your wall to come in. Walls should be able to come in on basically anything, or at least a lot on one side of the spectrum. If your defensive pokemon is destroyed by half the opponent's team, it doesn't help you out that much.

In someone's quote somewhere, they have "Xatu will always sweep, when you remove its 57 counters."

I believe that's especially applicable here.

I've been using Bastiodon as a decent lead:

Bastiodon @ Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
EV: 236 HP / 120 Def / 152 SpD
- Metal Burst
- Roar
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock

It sponges attacks very well, can bounce status/taunt/hazards, and roars away set up sweepers all while setting up its own rocks. The EVs probably need some tweaking though to guarantee a kill on hippowdon when it uses earthquake.

Really a one time lead (sets up rocks or Metal Burst) and nothing else. Sure it could Roar but pretty sure whatever it brings in could take it down if Sturdy was already activated.

Outside of Toxic, Bastiodon has no real offense thanks to his devastating base 52 attack. His hp is also fairly low, which kind of undermines his huge defences. He Can be outsped by a wounded slug, and his 4X weaknesses to probably the most common attacking types really hurts him. At least he gets SR though, right?

Just saying such a wide array of pokemon shouldn't have to be removed for your wall to come in. Walls should be able to come in on basically anything, or at least a lot on one side of the spectrum. If your defensive pokemon is destroyed by half the opponent's team, it doesn't help you out that much.
Bastiodon has a poor defensive typing, meaning its counters will have to be taken out in some way before it can wall something. And yes, that's a good point.
In someone's quote somewhere, they have "Xatu will always sweep, when you remove its 57 counters."

I believe that's especially applicable here.
That's a good point, too.

Okay so I challenged myself to make a Gen 5 team (im still learning so bear with me) with a successful defensive Rock/Steel type pokemon, and I chose Bastiodon. in the past, i've been known by my fellow chat counterparts to come up with less-than-orthodox sets. In the case of this poke, here's what i came up with.

Bastiodon @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
~Metal Burst
~Knock Down
~Earthquake
~Rest

I don't know, i guess i designed for this set to be sorta tankish. There are not any evs because well... i suck at those. If someone could add some evs its well appreciated!

I only see Torment and Metal Burst being the only real threats here, seeing as Torment Bastiodon wrecked my stall team twice.

There is no point in this thread to bash bastidon, his flaws are obvious since 4th gen. but to try and think of good move sets and how to use him to the best even if some sort of gimick.

There is no point in this thread to bash bastidon, his flaws are obvious since 4th gen. but to try and think of good move sets and how to use him to the best even if some sort of gimick.
Okay. Give him Stealth Rock. Give him Metal Burst. Try to keep your opponent from breaking Sturdy with a weak attack/residual damage.

That's all he can do.

Bastiodon's basically limited to sturdy+custap sets whenever custap gets released (which, say, forretress, gigiath, etc. do better, but perhaps back in NU). Besides that, torment bastiodon is alright, especially with toxic spikes and sandstorm support, but there are scary tormenters around (heatran, sazandora), so he might be a viable tormenter in UU maaaaybe.

Bastiodon's lackluster attack could be somewhat bolstered by Toxic and SR i dont use one but if i were to id set him up somethin like this

Leftovers
-Toxic
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Roar

w/ HP and DEF maxed if you have it in your head that Bas isnt gonna last long id say just stick to spamming roar and toxic once SR has been set EQ will come in handy to finish off the less bulky opponents and just pray sturdy doesnt get activated b4 you get a chance to do the other team some damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)