Battle Spot Battle Spot Doubles

Hello Smogon, new user here but long time lurker. Anyways, I've been double battling for a little bit, maybe a month? Right around the Sinnoh Classic. After toying around on Battle Spot I've decided to make an anti meta Mega Gengar team. Here's the team, feel free to let me know what I can do to make it better.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 92 HP / 164 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

The nucleus of the team. Gengar is here for his ability, Shadow Tag. This, imo one of the most broken abilities in the game gives me the advantage in a majority of matches. Standard Gengar set, its two STAB moves + protect and the ever so crippling Will O Miss. Will O Wisp is there for Mega Khan and Bisharp (who can't be shut down by my team otherwise)
EVs are there to 2HKO Sylveon, Mega Mence, Mega Gardevoir, and Aegislash
Sludge Bomb also has a 99.6% chance to 2HKO Khan (not factoring in potential poison)
Speed EVs allow me to outspeed base 108 before mega evolving
The rest of the EVs are in HP

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

My anti meta mon of choice. In the 1600s CHALK + Thundurus teams run crazy, so Mamoswine's job here is to eliminate those threats. The EVs + Scarf allow it to outspeed Adamant scarf Landorus and OHKO it with Icicle Crash, which can potentially also OHKO Mega Mence. EQ is for for secondary STAB, for Heatran and electric types. Rock Slide for the chance to flinch mons plus the fire/flying type coverage. Originally I ran Ice Shard for priority but instead opted for Superpower as a way to take out Kangaskhan and D Dance Mega TTar.

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 92 Def / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

While Gengar acts as the core of the team, Gyarados is the backbone. Looking at my team everyone expects your standard D Dance or Mega Gyarados. Amoonguss and Cresselia are huge mons that Gyrados shuts down thanks to this. Taunt on support mons leaves them useless and without a way to switch out they're easy kills. Intimidate + T Wave cripples fast physical or in the case of Khan, an intimidate + Gengar's Will O Wisp leaves it with no way of touching anything, and again stuck in battle.
EVs allow it to survive a Choice Specs Draco Meteor from Hydreigon, Khan can only 3HKO with Double Edge (factoring in the intimidate) and Gyarados at -1 can still 2HKO 4 HP Lando-T

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
IVs: 22 Atk / 30 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Extrasensory
-Snarl

Another strange set. While Gyarados handles physical attackers Raikou deals with the special attackers. Snarl spam is the main selling point here but STAB Thunderbolt and the oh so valuable HP Ice keep Raikou hitting hard against mons like Thundurus. Extrasensory was run over Shadow Ball as a way to hit Amoonguss and Venusaur. EVs allow it to 2HKO Milotic, Politoed, and Charizard Y (assuming they don't have a lot of SpDef investment or Sitrus Berry.) Specs Sylveon only has a 10.2% chance to 2HKO with Hyper Voice, and 252 SpA Aegislash's Shadow Ball is a 3HKO on Raikou.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 16 HP / 4 Def / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Tailwind

After choosing the first 4 mons I saw I was still weak to Cress and Aegislash. Hydreigon was the only offensive answer to these. With the EV investment both become 2HKOs with Dark Pulse. HP is idealized for minimum life orb damage. Earth Power was picked over Protect for Bisharp (who I had no answer to besides Breloom) and also Blaziken and Heatran. Finally, if all my other anti Landorus strategies fail I can OHKO it with Draco Meteor. Tailwind is there so I can complete my weather team counter.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Protect

Finally we have Breloom. Breloom acts as the pathetic duct tape that holds the team together. It's your standard set with priority Mach Punch to take out mons like Heatran and Bisharp who are on their last leg. Breloom also acts as an answer to the Amoonguss/Azumarill archetype being able to simply put Azumarill to sleep while avoiding anything Amoonguss throws at it. Breloom also acts as yet another answer to Khan and family. As a last ditch effort Breloom can also put anything to sleep.

Even though I've given in depth explanation into the individual mons I think I need to explain the strategy a little more. 80% of the time I'll lead with Gengar + either Mamoswine, Gyarados, or Breloom. The only time I'll lead with Gengar + Raikou is if my opponent has 3+ Special Attackers. Bar ghost types my opponent can't switch. Mega Gengar to the average battle spot player doesn't seem viable unless it's paired up with Mons designed to pull a Wolfe Glick style Perish Trap. Honestly, I hate that strategy but love Gengar. Breloom + Gengar is for the Amoonguss redirection lead. Gyarados + Gengar is anti CHALK lead, mainly to get an intimidate off on Khan and Lando and then 2HKO'ing Lando and rendering Khan useless. Mamoswine is an auto lead if there's a Thundurus. The only other lead I can think of ever having used is Raikou + Hydreigon for sun/rain teams and then the rare Hydreigon + Gyarados lead for sand teams.
I used to be your typical CHALK player, I climbed the ladder easily but it was quite boring. At some point it was just my team playing a mirror match against my exact team. So I played around and tried multiple gimmick strategies (skill swap Spinda + Arcanine, Water Absorb Jellicent + Surf Politoed, stuff like that) and got bored with those easily and I was high enough on the ladder where I'd get rekt. So I came up with this Shadow Tag Offense team. As you can tell, I HATE the doubles Meta so this team was a counter to it. I have a few weaknesses obviously but it's a very unexpected strategy.
Any suggestions would help. Thank you.

Will O Miss lol, that's new. With the accuracy buff this gen it's actually not too bad, 85 accuracy.

Anyways, this looks great. Closest thing I can see to a problem is evs on Hydra, you just wanna change to 12 HP and 244 SpA. Keeps the same HP stat, but gives one more point of SpA. evs work funny, and at level 50 you don't want them to be divisible by 8, unless the iv is even, and no reason Hydra wouldn't have a 31 HP iv.

Still, it's really easy for teams to look pretty much perfect on paper, but then just be ok in play. What's yer rating?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)