Battle Tactics: Double Switches

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This article is somewhat of an extension of Wyzra's Prediction Thread. I would recommend at least looking it over if you haven't read it already. I would also recommend reading the first two paragraphs of my post in that thread, as it may help you to understand some of my points in this topic.

This thread is also related to Aldaron's Lures thread of days gone by, so if you want some "additional reading" you should check that out!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure that just about every player has some experience with double switches - when both you and your opponent change Pokemon at the same time. I am just as sure that everyone here has ended up both on the good and bad sides of this event. The purpose of this thread is to discuss how to create situations where double switches are applicable, and then how to use them to your own great advantage. Let's start with basics:

Why use a double switch?

Porpoisefully switching at the same time as your opponent has a number of advantages. The first and most obvious is that it allows you to take the initiative with any Pokemon on your team. Any Pokemon with any set-up or support move, a powerful attack, or recovery - regardless of its frailty or current HP total - can abuse double switches to make your life easier. Double switches are also a great way to get your Pokemon with non-standard sets in on a specific Pokemon without tipping off your opponent that you might be using something strange.

Another advantage is that predicting by double switching is significantly less risky than predicting with an attack. If done correctly, a double switch should work in your favor even if your opponent predicts that you will not go for a direct attack, as very few players will expect you to switch while you are at an advantage.

Finally, double switching is the only form of predicting that is effective early game. It is easy enough to just use a different attack on turn 2 or 3 if you know your opponent will be switching, but the chance of hitting for significant damage is poor. Switching in a new Pokemon allows you to get in your heavy hitters or your odd sets in on exactly the Pokemon you want them against. Moves like Close Combat and U-Turn will likely be doing a lot of damage to the opponent whether they switch or not, and double switching gives you the opportunity to get these strong attacks off early game, with little risk and without sacrificing a Pokemon.

When to use a double switch

As I stated previously, when done properly there should be very little risk involved in a double switch. The idea here is that you make a play that takes into account your opponent's two or three most likely plays; where normal prediction is a 50/50 chance, double switching throws the odds strongly in your favor. So the ideal time to use a double switch is when you can narrow your opponent's likely plays down to two or three options, and a single attack will likely have little effect.

This may seem obvious, but you need to be able to switch in a Pokemon that will improve your situation. If you have Latias out and your opponent is switching to Tyranitar, there is little to be gained in switching to Zapdos or Blissey. Sure, you save Latias, but you have created a situation that is arguably worse than what you would have encountered anyway.

For some people these situations come intuitively, and for everyone they should eventually become obvious with experience. If you are having trouble knowing when to double switch (or generally when to predict), do not be afraid to take some extra time to think about your moves (though be aware that many people use the shoddybattle timer as a basis for making predictions themselves).

How to Prepare a Double Switch

In order to make this into a full-on battle tactic, you have to be able to create situations where you can get your opponent to make the switches that you want them to. There are several ways to do this from both team building and battling perspectives.

Team Building
In order to facilitate double switches with team building, you need to test your team. There is no substitute for this. Once you know what Pokemon common switch into the ones on your team, you can ready your team for double switches.
  1. Certain Pokemon will always draw similar switch-ins, but do not have a good method of dealing with these common threats on their own. These are the Pokemon you should be using to draw your opponent into double switches. Latias, Rotom, Metagross, and anything with Rapid Spin are all good examples (anything can be used, but there is a varying level of risk). Once again, you should play with your team to see exactly what Pokemon fall into this category.
  2. In order for a double switch to be powerful, the Pokemon you switch in must both be able to threaten what it switches into and have a good deal of power behind it, since your opponent will likely be switching anyway. Since the Pokemon will likely be taking either no damage or resisted damage, even frail choices are OK. Good examples are Infernape, Lucario, Heracross (Close Combat), Machamp (Dynamicpunch), Tyranitar (anything), Scizor (U-Turn), and anything with a 140 base power attack. The goal is to create a situation where your opponent will incur massive damage whether he switches or not, and all of these Pokemon / attacks make that happen easily. Non-standard sets designed to trick your opponent can also work, but it is better if you are able to keep each Pokemon's optimal set, in order to make it a valuable member of the team even without double switching. On a defensive team, Pokemon such as Skarmory and Tentacruel can be used to set up after a double switch.
  3. Double switching relies on the attacking coverage of the Pokemon you switch in, and forcing your opponent to constantly switch does not give them much time to recover. For this reason, set-up moves (e.g. Calm Mind, Dragon Dance) are not really necessary. They may be helpful to your team overall, but using a stat up move after a double switch is another level of prediction in itself, and is therefore more risky.
In Battle
Once you are in battle, you should generally play cautiously up until the point of your double switch; do not take unnecessary risks, don't overthink, etc. Once you see a Pokemon that a "bait" member of your team (point 1 of the team building section) can switch into, send it out. Even if you have net seen your opponent's team, perform your double switch right away. As I have said before, there is much less risk involved when your opponent is switching in an unrevealed member of their team, and they are also much more likely to make a generic choice (i.e. one that you should have prepared for). If you have set up your team correctly, you will likely be switching your high-damage Pokemon into an extremely advantageous situation.

It is likely that in the course of a battle you will have trouble getting your opponent to send out the Pokemon you need to send your "bait" Pokemon out against. Int this situation, it is both possible and useful to set up "chains" of double switches in order to maneuver your opponent into exactly the spot you want them. For example, let's say that your opponent has a Vaporeon that is a perfect target for your Latias (bait), since you could then send in Lucario as they send in Tyranitar. Then you must look through your team and see what Vaporeon will switch into (for this example we'll say Heatran). So take a look at your current battle situation, and see if Heatran can switch in and take the offensive. If not, then re-analyze the situation and add another step in order to get Heatran into play. Eventually you will likely find an opening, and you can send in Heatran, and then double switch to Latias as they go to Vaporeon, and then double switch to Lucario for a Close Combat. Do not be afraid to take several turns in setting up your double switch; just analyze the situation and look at what "steps" need to be taken in order for you to reach the situation that you want.

Of course, be sure to take into account both your opponent and their team type. If your foe is using a hyper offensive team, it is probably a bad idea to switch Tyranitar in out of a Rapid Spinner in expectation of Rotom.

The need to analyze your opponent is probably the biggest flaw of double switches, as they rely on your opponent making the "best" play, or at least a logical play, in order to be successful. For this reason, double switches are often very useful against better players, while at the same time cause you to have problems with less experienced opponents.

Strategies for double switching
  • The best time for a double switch is in the early game. Your opponent will likely be careless in switching in his unrevealed Pokemon, so you can easily predict what Pokemon (or group of Pokemon) he may send in based on his team type.
  • Try to take into account as many of your opponent's usable options as possible. This way, even if your opponent predicts that you will do something odd, there is minimal loss, and you may end up at an advantage anyway. For example, if you have Heatran out against your opponent's Celebi, even without seeing your opponent's team you know that their likely plays are: 1.) Switch to a Bulky Water, Tyranitar, or Latias, or 2.) Stay in and use Thunder Wave. While nothing can take every one of those options into account, having Heatran use an attack is generally a poor choice, as it can only possibly cover one of those situations. Instead, a switch to something like Flygon or Scizor would be much better. They deal with Tyranitar and Latias, do not mind Thunder Wave (Scizor is slow anyway), and can U-Turn out of bulky Waters for some free damage. In this situation, it is clear that going for a double switch is superior to chancing an attack.
  • Do not overdo it. If you have already used a double switch two or three times in a match, your opponent will likely see it coming and take countermeasures. However, this can cause your opponent to make bad plays which can also give you the advantage. Try to alternate between a complex play style and a simple one.
  • Be aware of what your opponent knows, and use that to your advantage. If your opponent sees Leftovers on your latias, they will probably be a lot less hesitant in switching to Tyranitar or a Steel type, so it would be a good idea to bring in your Infernape or Skarmory or Flygon at that time.
  • This may seem obvious, but try to bring in something that can do a lot of damage on your double switch. That way you will deal excellent damage even if your opponent switches out of your new threat. Moves like Close combat, Superpower, and any of the base 140 moves are great candidates.
  • Use double switches to get off Recovery moves. If you have a 14% Starmie that cannot switch in to any attacks on your opponent's team, then send out that Rotom or Zapdos or whatever and get your opponent to bring in his Blissey. Double switches are a great way to get in your weakened Pokemon for recovery or for a final attack.
I hope this has been helpful in educating you about double switches, and about prediction in general. Feel free to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of double switching, as well as the ways that it has helped you win (or lose) your matches.

I think one of the best examples of seeing this in action is looking at Legacy Raider's warstory in the archive (Breaching the Fortress). This shows just how advantageous double switches can be. I personally prefer using double switches to recover HP or if I have entry hazards up and the opponent doesn't, as that is doing constant damage to the opponent's team without any harm to my team if the opponent continues switching.

So this guide covers the "Why" and "When" of double switching, but not really the "how". You should probably include a section on Baiting, and possibly mention U-Turn/Dry Baton Pass tactics.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
TAY I would normally just ask in PM, but this might be a common confusion so I'll ask here.

I am confused :X You said double switching is when both you and your opponent switch. Defining it that way is fine, but it really isn't anything "new" that way, unless there something additional to it. Switching when you expect your opponent to switch is like choosing a move that will be SE on the expected switchin instead of the current Pokemon...it's just a common tactic.

Now if you induce the opponent to switch to a particular Pokemon by initially switching, then it is something new. As in, you have currently have X out and opponent has Y out. You want Z to come out so you switchout X and switchin A, the Z lure. Now it is A vs. Y. On this turn, you now expect Z to come out, so you switch to B, the Z beater (or whatever). That is something new.

Is that what you are referring to here, or just switching when your opponent switches as well?

If you clarify this in the article I apologize in advance.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Nice thread, I honestly find that double switches are the most difficult part of pokemon to predict for me. There are just too many variables involved and I often find I don't want to risk a bad switch on my part and would rather just take the chance to possibly burn their bulky water etc and scout a little than to switch again. I am honestly way more comfortable with double switches in the late game when I know the opponent's team better. I hardly ever do it but I realize that it is something that I need to start doing more consistently and well if I want to improve. And I thought that double switches was when I switched twice.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yes, that is what I always referred to as a "double switch"

Inducing the opponent to switch to something you want by switching, and then switching again to deal accordingly.

I think McGraw touched on that in some old topic. I'll go look for it. I think he called it a hook switch or something really wierd like that.

I don't do them much but they are very useful when I do do them. As for the other double switch, "when both people switch at once", I still find those helpful, but it's just like predicting a switchin and using a different move than you would have...

EDIT- Just kidding he called them 'pivots'. Not exactly the same thing but pretty close.

There are more subtle applications of this however; namely juggling to achieve a cheaper switch into a favourable match up. These involve pivots who serve as intermediary switches. Pivots induce a different attack (or a switch) that the next Pokemon will be resistant or immune to (or favourably matched). For example, you might want to reach the favourable match up of Rotom vs Blissey for trick, but it is currently Vaporeon vs Blissey. You can switch to Jolteon (pivot) to absorb thunder wave, before switching to Rotom for seismic toss.

Mr.E used to make fun of how I would take unnecessary risks to get these free switches (back in the 200 days), but this technique is essential if you are to maximise your edge when using offensively orientated teams without much walling. It could mean risking a NVE CH or worse, a 10% status (like heat wave burn on Kingdra), but one should not be too concerned by luck. It is out of your control and will be constant in the long run anyway.

Diamond, that's not exactly the same thing. What you're talking about is one person making multiple switches to get a Pokemon into another safely. What TAY is talking about is predicting a switch-in and responding to that by switching in another Pokemon at the same time, like by sending Latias into Infernape, then switching in Dugtrio while they switch in Tyranitar.

Diamond, that's not exactly the same thing. What you're talking about is one person making multiple switches to get a Pokemon into another safely. What TAY is talking about is predicting a switch-in and responding to that by switching in another Pokemon at the same time, like by sending Latias into Infernape, then switching in Dugtrio while they switch in Tyranitar.
Then you're relying on people making what you would consider to be 'the right decision' if you were in their shoes.

In other words, if I have pokemon X out and my opponent has pokemon Y out, and I know that pokemon Z will beat pokemon X, the double switch will only work if my opponent is focused on countering pokemon X and knows that pokemon Z will do so. If he wants to beat pokemon X but doesn't realise that pokemon Z will beat it, then I could end up sending in something to take out pokemon Z only to be met by something completely different.

I was talking about Aldaron's 'double switch'. It's not exactly what his version is but it's pretty close.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TAY I would normally just ask in PM, but this might be a common confusion so I'll ask here.

I am confused :X You said double switching is when both you and your opponent switch. Defining it that way is fine, but it really isn't anything "new" that way, unless there something additional to it. Switching when you expect your opponent to switch is like choosing a move that will be SE on the expected switchin instead of the current Pokemon...it's just a common tactic.
I have greatly expanded the OP to make this less of a "common knowledge" sort of thing and more of an actual battle tactic. In retrospect I shouldn't have started the topic without this section to begin with, and I apologize for that.

EDIT: Also made some wording changes to the intro paragraph.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In my entire Pokemon playing career I think I've made a maximum total of maybe ten intentional double switches. I've always thought they were unnecessary risks and normally I just build teams that don't have to rely on such risky tactics to win. The only time I really like to use them is to fuck with my opponent's head.

This is a very interesting thread. Double switches are probably the best part of my game in battle, though I don't think I've ever theorized the art to such an extent. It really is a great read. I'm gonna try to be more tactical with my double switches now.

On whether or not they are unnecessary risks, I disagree with Jabba and agree with Aldaron. Put it this way, unless you're a ridiculously safe player, you have all probably tried to punish switches. Say I'm using ape and I'm up against forry. Last time this happenned my oppoent sent in a starmie. I think a lot of you kids would take the risk and use grass knot on the switch.

Is it risky? Yeah, it is a bit because forry can EQ you to pieces. But then again, you have to realise that playing it too safe can potentially put you in even more danger. When your opponent can catch all your switches and predict you perfectly, you're gonna be the one set up on. You'll be the passive one and you'll be the one under pressure.

Compare that move with this double switch: I have starmie out against his ape. I expect him to switch into his Celebi as i can take a surf and ice beam back. Two things can happen here: he can either take the safe route and switch into Celebi or he can take a risk on me using ice beam on the switch and have ape grass knot me instead of switching out. I look what he can do next turn, weigh up my options, and instead of keeping starmie in, I switch it out to the scarftran he has not seen yet. If he grass knots with ape, heatran can take it and threated back with a scarfed earth power. If he switches to celebi, he's in trouble anyways as heatran can fire blast. There is a small chance that he'll use CC, but I'll talk about that in the next paragraph. Of course, if he switches in to celebi, this will technically be a double switch.

To me, the double switch scenario is even safer than the first example (with forry and ape). Why? Because in the forry example, my opponent knows all my options already. He pracically knows that I have grass knot on my mixape (as it is standard) and that I can try to make a move. In the second scenario, he didn't know I have a heatran (he may know that say I'll have a steel type and a revenge killer but these two things may not be the same poke), so my switch here is much safer than the former example. There's a very small chance he'll use close combat, but that would just be taking a stab in the dark without too much justification.

My point (even after all that) is simple. Double switches are not necessarily big risks. Therefore, unless you don't take any risks at all (which in itself is actualy a risk), you should utilise some sort of double switching in your game.

In my entire Pokemon playing career I think I've made a maximum total of maybe ten intentional double switches. I've always thought they were unnecessary risks and normally I just build teams that don't have to rely on such risky tactics to win. The only time I really like to use them is to fuck with my opponent's head.

this. plain and simple, double switching is stupid. unnecessary prediction at all is stupid. in fact, a general philosophy of mine is, contradictory to what most people think, that it's a stupid idea to use lots of exploders on offensive teams, because a double switch is essentially a blind switch, and there is no way to lose momentum faster than to end up on the short end of one. leaving things up to chance is not the way to win.

Although I agree being on the wrong end of the switch is bad, with the same token, it is great being on the right side. If I'm down by a poke or two, there's no better tool imo than to use calculated, relatively safe double switches. Used in combination with u-turn or a trapper, and you've got yourself a nice series of events going.

I am very intrigued by such good players saying that they do not use this strategy at all. There seems to be quite a clear divide amongst battlers. It would be very interesting for players to compare logs (I'm in apprentice tourney right now but I'll post some after that's over). I myself always took this tool for granted. I don't look at it as unnecessary or risky prediction at all. It's just like choosing the 5th attack. Sure, double switches are not always worth it, but a lot of times they are.

I don't know, I would be interested to compare the teams of the double switchers vs the non double switchers. Maybe the double switchers have more choice items where as the anti-DSers have more set up moves.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I use double switches a lot, infact a lot of my wins (when using offense) come from making a crucial double-switch mid-late game.

I normally don't double switch much until mid-game, when I know what my opponent is going to send out. So when I send my Latias in, I can switch straight to Tyranitar or Scizor or Lucario, etc. as Blissey switches in, and then Pursuit or set up.

Not a fan of blind switching though. Switching to something to counter something you don't even know is there can be pretty bad.

The reason I don't like double switching is because in the turn that my pokemon is out, I want it to do at least a little bit of damage. Even if it's a case of Starmie using Surf against a Blissey switch-in, that's still a little bit of damage and I can rest assured that Starmie has, for the time being, done its job. Then when Blissey is in play, I anticipate the move that the Blissey user will make and switch accordingly then.

The reason I don't like double switching is because in the turn that my pokemon is out, I want it to do at least a little bit of damage. Even if it's a case of Starmie using Surf against a Blissey switch-in, that's still a little bit of damage and I can rest assured that Starmie has, for the time being, done its job. Then when Blissey is in play, I anticipate the move that the Blissey user will make and switch accordingly then.
That's basically the ideal time for the double switching strategy: the switch-in is easy to predict, assuming you've seen Blissey before, and it's also quite easy to threaten the switch-in with any powerful physical hitter. The situation you described sounds hugely advantageous to your opponent, as you've essentially wasted a turn and now are subject to the opponent's one-on-one advantage, allowing him to control the next turn. Whereas you could easily punish the opponent by sending in something that can threaten the predicted Blissey, while also not in danger from the Pokemon opposite Starmie.

This is a great article, TAY. I've used this strategy before but to set it out explicitly and give conditions where it should be used and the "premeditation" that goes into such a move is very helpful. It's exactly the kind of thing that guides can add to your game beyond what is learned directly from battle experience.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
That's a bad argument. Come on, a Starmie Surfing an incoming Blissey isn't going to do shit. It's just a waste of a turn.

Scenario 1:-

Starmie Surfs an incoming Bliss
Starmie switches while Blissey TWaves/STosses | Your incoming Pokemon is hurt, and you have effectively wasted a turn.

Scenario 2:-

Starmie switches out to Lucario as a Bliss enters.
Lucario gets a free turn to wreak havoc.

Right, while that may not be the best way to get things across, you evidently don't understand the value of a turn. If you believe that the only thing you should attempt to do during a turn is deal damage, then yeah, you're not playing right.

Double switching is a tactic that can be employed to allow you to decide the flow of the match. Scenario 2 is a decent example of what you can achieve with one free turn.

However, what you actually do during that turn is in the end not something that you alone decide, so yeah, anything you may or may not achieve by double-switching is decided by how accurate your prediction is next turn.

For example during scenario 2 your Lucario might be TWaved as it attempts to Swords Dance up, or met with a Pressure Ghost as it tries to CC the opposing Blissey. It all comes down to predicting the opponent's next move correctly. That is something that can be done best with complete knowledge about the opponent's team, so it is best to wait till midgame to perform double switches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)