Be honest with me. Are 100%s in school worth anything more than straight A's?

I'm just wondering. I'm so obsessive about trying to keep straight hundreds that I miss out on a lot of time hanging out with friends reading stuff multiple times and doing tons of extra work trying to maintain straight 100% in school. But I'm just wondering, are these perfect grades worth anything above just normal straight A's? Whether those A's equate to a 4.0 or a 4.8 obviously would matter but that's relevant to whether the classes are AP, not 100%...

Only if you have good SAT/ACT scores and extracurriculars. Perfect grades are only part of the equation that colleges look at when deciding if they want to take you or not.

Blackhawk11

one on one
Colleges see A, not 100%. The only time where a 100% is better than a 94% (idk your school, but 94 is the minimum for a legit A at mine) is on a letter of recommendation from a teacher where they can say "(s)he never missed a question."

So my advice is this: don't stress out over 100%; missing a question here and there is absolutely fine, and in fact will help you keep a more sane personality (I know a girl who used to cry if she missed a question [if you do this, STOP! It's not healthy lol]). but don't let your grades slip so much that you start to fall behind on the material. Basically still try your best, but relax a little.

Many schools even hold A- in the same esteem as an A. Honestly, perfect grades are completely overrated to begin with, but caring about 6% once you're over the 90% mark is just silly.

I think you should continue striving to get that perfect score, but don't let it consume you. Once you start overworking yourself, you'll head straight downhill. But 100% scores are extremely advantageous. Not only will you have a better chance of graduating Cum-Laude (which will make all the colleges cum for you), but it'll also make getting scholarships 100000000 times more easier. And trust me, paying for college is one of the most dreadful things you'll ever experience in life without some kind of financial aid. I was a good student, I'd get A's in most of my classes, and only B's in one or two, if any at all. And I'm still having a hard time getting financial aid and scholarships even though I'm considered a minority and don't make much money. Go figure. But good luck!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"Be honest with me" makes me wonder what you're asking about. Who tells you that colleges see 100%s?

Honestly, that you're aiming for complete 100%s in high school and feel you need to go to Smogon to ask if what you're doing makes sense just doesn't add up to me. I honestly don't believe you're doing that, told you should do that, or trying for that. It just isn't fathomable.

My school (high school) didn't have A+/- just "A" which I thought was really dumb, because somebody who tried hard but just messed up or whatever and got a 79/89 gets the same amount of credit as someone who coasts by and gets a 70/80. So, in terms of that, no 100% is no different than straight 90%. At my uni however, they do grade with a A+/- so yes it is worth "more" but realistically it wont make that big of a difference if you average 100% versus like a 92% average over your college career, in the real world.

The only time colleges look at the actual percentage is when there a few more spots left and most people got roughly the same Grade, hence they look at percentage to see who got the highest(and if you get 85% it's kind of obvious that universities would pick you straight away so getting 100% won't put you in a better situation then getting 85% which is A+/A* w.e u wanna call it).

cim

The only time colleges look at the actual percentage is when there a few more spots left and most people got roughly the same Grade, hence they look at percentage to see who got the highest(and if you get 85% it's kind of obvious that universities would pick you straight away so getting 100% won't put you in a better situation then getting 85% which is A+/A* w.e u wanna call it).
This isn't actually true at all. Colleges in general don't get percentages of grades, they get a letter grade transcript, so even if this were the case they wouldn't. Many / most / cool colleges use grades less as a determinant and tiebreaker and more as a qualifier; once you have these grades they look at everything else.

This isn't actually true at all. Colleges in general don't get percentages of grades, they get a letter grade transcript, so even if this were the case they wouldn't. Many / most / cool colleges use grades less as a determinant and tiebreaker and more as a qualifier; once you have these grades they look at everything else.
I go to Imperial Uni which is 5th in the world currently and spaces are limited and with too many people getting a* they need a way to distinguish apart form reading the peresonal staement of applicants,perhaps they don't do this where you live but here in the top Uni's in the Uk they do.
Note: 85% and 98% is a huge difference.

cim

I go to Imperial Uni which is 5th in the world currently and spaces are limited and with too many people getting a* they need a way to distinguish apart form reading the peresonal staement of applicants,perhaps they don't do this where you live but here in the top Uni's in the Uk they do.
Note: 85% and 98% is a huge difference.
For what it's worth: Imperial College is 7th. No idea where Imperial Uni is, but I really doubt there's that drastic of a difference in education between 7th and the 300 range. It's also worth noting that the list is a little strange and arbitrary; I find it hard to believe that the University of Rochester (not RIT) is somehow in the top 50.

For any respectable university, including some of the top schools in the US (MIT, Caltech, and RPI are the ones I know particulars about, but many others are similar) using a metric as arbitrary, ill defined, and differing from school to school as letter and percentage grades will not result in getting the best and most interesting students. The metric just doesn't work like that. Colleges start to look more at what actually makes you an interesting person and not just someone who studied well. Obviously you have to have GREAT grades to get into any of these schools, but once you have them, they don't count plusses and go "this guy had 7 and this guy had 2, the 7 wins".

If you're eschewing extracurriculars / "a life" for bumping your 95s to 100s, I don't care what university takes you, you're going to be a boring person.

Chris is me said:
If you're eschewing extracurriculars / "a life" for bumping your 95s to 100s, I don't care what university takes you, you're going to be a boring person.
I think it's actually the complete opposite. You'd have to be some kind of eccentric supervillain to do something as mind-numbingly trivial as that without having some serious questions about yourself. Either way, for most people it's probably a complete waste of time, and I respectfully find Somalia's claims that top UK schools care about 1-3% differences dubious.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
The blunt and honest answer is no. Nor does a 35 ACT really differ from a 36 or a 4 differ from a 5 on an AP test if your prospective school accepts both or a 4.0 from a 3.95. Once you get to that point it's a "wash" in my mind and other factors come in to play like mental sanity (among other things).

I think it's actually the complete opposite. You'd have to be some kind of eccentric supervillain to do something as mind-numbingly trivial as that without having some serious questions about yourself. Either way, for most people it's probably a complete waste of time, and I respectfully find Somalia's claims that top UK schools care about 1-3% differences dubious.
The difference between 85%-100% is not 1%-3%..And when it comes dopwn to very close percentages then like chris stated they'll look at your personal statement/what you do outside of school etc.

Honestly, if you get 95% on everything, you are good to go, don't stress over anything more than that. Use your time to do other interesting things. Unless you plan to go to something like Imperial U or the rare school that cares about the actual percentage, it doesn't matter. Most colleges only care about the letter grade and ACT/SAT score (and extracuricular activities if you are going to be that nickpicky on me).

"Be honest with me" makes me wonder what you're asking about. Who tells you that colleges see 100%s?

Honestly, that you're aiming for complete 100%s in high school and feel you need to go to Smogon to ask if what you're doing makes sense just doesn't add up to me. I honestly don't believe you're doing that, told you should do that, or trying for that. It just isn't fathomable.
asking your peers, be it online or real life, pokemon website or school classroom is never a bad call when it's opinion related and subjective like this.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Depending on where you live, it might translate into a lot of money for you to put in the effort to get top marks in high school. I've heard about a lot of Americans getting large scholarships, or even the entire tuition covered. It's probably worth researching specific scholarships available to you from varying sources and deciding whether your marks are going to matter for that.

The elite universities would rather have balanced students that excel outside of school more so than just a bunch of people who stress out over getting A's and the sort. When you apply to schools like that, every other academically qualified person has straight A's and the sort.

I'm just wondering. I'm so obsessive about trying to keep straight hundreds that I miss out on a lot of time hanging out with friends reading stuff multiple times and doing tons of extra work trying to maintain straight 100% in school. But I'm just wondering, are these perfect grades worth anything above just normal straight A's? Whether those A's equate to a 4.0 or a 4.8 obviously would matter but that's relevant to whether the classes are AP, not 100%...
I'm getting a distinct feeling that your parents care much more about this than you do. I mean, people who can get A's without trying usually aren't anal about percentages unless their parents are control freaks. If that is the case, then just tell them to back the fuck off and decide for yourself if you really need to put this much effort into things.

Also, just out of curiosity, what are considered good SAT/ACT scores?

I'm getting a distinct feeling that your parents care much more about this than you do. I mean, people who can get A's without trying usually aren't anal about percentages unless their parents are control freaks. If that is the case, then just tell them to back the fuck off and decide for yourself if you really need to put this much effort into things.

Also, just out of curiosity, what are considered good SAT/ACT scores?
It's not that they're anal about it... it's just that I always sense they're disappointed whenever I fall below 100% in a subject because they're used to me getting them. And tbh I kind of feel like a failure when I don't get a 100%. It just seems like the shit should be so easy and missing any questions pisses me off at myself

It's not that they're anal about it... it's just that I always sense they're disappointed whenever I fall below 100% in a subject because they're used to me getting them. And tbh I kind of feel like a failure when I don't get a 100%. It just seems like the shit should be so easy and missing any questions pisses me off at myself
Well then, I guess all I can do is suggest that you relax. Yeah most of the shit they teach at school is boring and simple. So why get stressed about it? I can understand being upset about not having a mastery over something you're passionate about, but generally high school courses aren't focused enough for that, and you seem to be talking about grades in general. So I guess what I'm trying to say is to really think about whether hours of study is worth nailing one more asinine question.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Out of curiosity, are 100%'s in schools required for aspiring lawyers? Because as I understand, law is a very competitive course and I know Cambridge usually uses GCSE grades as one of their metrics (if you don't have mostly A/A* then forget it).

Well then, I guess all I can do is suggest that you relax. Yeah most of the shit they teach at school is boring and simple. So why get stressed about it? I can understand being upset about not having a mastery over something you're passionate about, but generally high school courses aren't focused enough for that, and you seem to be talking about grades in general. So I guess what I'm trying to say is to really think about whether hours of study is worth nailing one more asinine question.
I'm not even passionate about school, I dread doing it. But then again, you should see how asinine and bitchy I get about shit I AM passionate about... hell, I don't know what you know about golf, but it's my REAL passion and I can go out and shoot a par round which is unimaginably good to 90% of golfers and I'll come off fucking pissed at how many birdie putts I somehow missed. When I get passionate about something I am the most anal detail attentive easily frustratable motherfucker you'll ever meet.

I'm not even passionate about school, I dread doing it. But then again, you should see how asinine and bitchy I get about shit I AM passionate about... hell, I don't know what you know about golf, but it's my REAL passion and I can go out and shoot a par round which is unimaginably good to 90% of golfers and I'll come off fucking pissed at how many birdie putts I somehow missed. When I get passionate about something I am the most anal detail attentive easily frustratable motherfucker you'll ever meet.
Yeah, I don't know jack-shit about golf. But I do sympathize on getting pissed about the little things you screw up on. For example, I love playing Horde on Insane Mode on Gears of War 2, something that would make a casual gamer balk (not nearly the same thing as what you're talking about, I know, but bear with me), and I get pissed when I accidentally down a Sniper and lose ~72 points because of it, even though I have yet to clear Wave 9 (lol, mostly due to my carelessness, resulting in getting Torqued or double Boltoked). Funnily enough I'm more annoyed by it than when I get killed by a surprise Boomshot.

... Sorry if you didn't understand a word of that. Just trust me that it somehow relates to what you're saying.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Out of curiosity, are 100%'s in schools required for aspiring lawyers? Because as I understand, law is a very competitive course and I know Cambridge usually uses GCSE grades as one of their metrics (if you don't have mostly A/A* then forget it).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think law school comes AFTER college.
Wikipedia said:
In the United States, law school is a postgraduate program that typically lasts three years and earns the student a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_school
So your high school grades won't really matter compared to how well you do in college. Once again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)