(Be)rate my team!

To start off this is the first time I have tried competitive battling. I know you're probably tired of hearing that, and putting up with the people who have no knowledge of the meta so I have tried to bring myself up to speed as fast as possible. I like to think of myself as a pretty intelligent guy and I think I've been learning more and more by myself, but I need some outside input from people who know what they're talking about. So without further to do, here it is.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock​

The classic Anti lead Infernape. It stops a lot of things from setting up, most notably Smeargle. Fake out will break it's sash and a close combat will finish it off. It also easily out speeds it. It speed ties with galvantula, so there is a %50 chance of it not getting Sticky Web off. A tyranitar will also get blown up by a close combat, but weather will break the sash. A lot of the time (thanks to team preview) opponents will not lead with their usual choice. From my experience it is also incredibly resilient. Many many games it will survive till late game to get kills on things susceptible to fire/fighting like Ferrothorn etc. Having rocks be almost guaranteed is nice too.

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Rapid Spin​

Assault Vest Excadrill. A Rapid Spinner/ Bulky Attacker/ and Special wall all in one. It can OHKO Gengar, Magnezone, and Rotom-W easily thanks to it's bulk and Mold Breaker Earthquake. Thanks to Shadow Claw I've been able to take a Focus Blast from an Alakazam and kill it with a Shadow Claw (and more than a few times get 2 off on an Alakazam running Sash because of Focus Blasts low accuracy). Iron head puts a dent into fairies, but sometimes I wish I had Rock Slide over it.

The EV's are probably not optimal. I opted for this set, as a whole, because with the weather nerf his other sets aren't as viable IMO. His speed is lackluster, so if I'm going to get hit first most of the time I might as well get some bulk.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge​

Good ol' Scarf'd Garchomp. Easily out speeds and 1or2HKO's most things. I've won many a game by killing his threats and then Outraging their last 2 or 3 pokemon. One very important use for this Garchomp is to take care of Genesect. Pretty much every team I have run into that uses Genesect will run him as a lead, so I will start off with Garchomp and outspeed it while OHKOing it with fire fang. Stone Edge is hit or miss both figuratively and literally. It's useful when I don't have rocks up, but it is not reliable. I found that keeping Garchomp in reserve is a more viable strategy than running Poison Jab to deal with Fairies.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off​

My physical wall, Slowbro. Regenerator is an awesome ability which really prolongs his survival. Ice beam is great coverage move and has saved me countless times by scoring some surprising kills. Scald is great damage with a burn chance. Thunder Wave is what I've settled on over Psychic. The added utility is great. Slack Off of course is a standard Recovery move. Not too much to say here besides his great utility and survival. I've thought about Toxic over Thunder Wave as well. I think that might be better.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Drain Punch
- Spore
Breloom, the last Pokemon to round out a F/W/G core, and the first pokemon I've spotted problems in. Honestly, the only use this guy seems to get is Spore-ing and Bullet Seeding. Infernape takes care of a lot of things with Close Combat, so Mach Punch is mainly used for ensuring a KO on a weakened foe. My team is very Physicaly based, so I'm thinking of replacing him with a Special Attacker, but I'm not sure what I can replace this with that keeps the Sleep utility and a powerful grass move. I tried Venusaur with poor results.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 Spd / 232 HP / 56 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Will-O-Wisp
To round off the team I have the completely original Rotom-W. Why? Because you can basically slap it on any team, and I needed something to take care of threats such as Gyarados, Gliscor, Physical Pokemon that can be burned, and Talonflame. As much as I love Slowbro, Slowbro might be a little redundant with this guy.

Big threats to my team that I've noticed:
1. Mega Kangaskhan
Most likely it's getting banned, so whatever.​

2. Deoxys-D
Same as above. As it is now it basically sets up for free.​

3. Set up Sweepers.
Most of my losses come from things getting off multiple Swords Dance, Quiver Dance,Dragon Dance, etc.

I'm not sure whether this is my teams fault or my lack of experience on how to deal with them.

I think a Skarmory with Roost/Whirlwind/Roar/Brave Bird could help me out in this regard, and would replace Slowbro.​

4. Same as #2 except most Ghost/Psychic types.

5. Lack of a dedicated special attacker and a set-up sweeper.
As I said earlier Breloom probably needs to get replaced with one of these. The problem is that I need some more utility I get from Spore and the Grass coverage.​

6. Showdown's Servers.
A lot of my losses come from me making bad plays, but not being able to change them because Showdown will always pick my first move even if I try to re-select.
7. Status.
Being Burned basically cripples all of my team. Having Heal Bell would be nice. Maybe Blissey or Chansey over Slowbro?​

Last edited:
Alright, first and foremost. Your team looks fairly easy to setup on whether its from sweepers or stall pokes. I recommend getting rid of Slowbro because with Rotom-W, Slowbro is pretty useless. Breloom also seems a bit out of place on your team. As a whole, Breloom has really dropped this gen and for good reason. Talonflame completely hard counters breloom. If you want a grass type that can deal with Rotom-W, have you tried Asault Vest Tangrowth? Its surprisingly bulky and does pretty good damage.

252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 SpAtk
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Relaxed (+Def -Spe)

- Giga Drain / Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice / Rock Slide

With this set, Tangrowth acts as a great pivot. Giga Drain gives some reliable recovery while checking Rotom-W. Knock Off has great utility and can make or break certain pokemon. EQ is great at nailing Fire/Steel types on switch ins. The last moveslot is really up to you. HP Ice lets you check dragons and flying types. Hp Fire specifically kills Ferrothorn, Scizor and Genesect. Rock Slide lets you KO Talonflame.

I think with this set, Excadrill really loses a lot of its purpose, so instead you can switch Excadrill into a scarf user. With the weather nerf, Scarf is a pretty good item on Excadrill. This is the set I recommend.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 160 Spd / 252 Atk / 96 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw

With these EV's, you are going outspeed max spe timid Greninja by 1. the rest are just put into HP, so it can take hits a bit better. The moves are pretty self explanitory. Now that you have another scarf user, that frees up garchomp. Since, you lack any sort of "end game" sweeper. You could use SD + Salac Berry set to clean up big time late game.

Now the only thing is to what to replace Slowbro with. A Skarmory would not be a bad idea, as it gives you Spikes, a way to phase out set up sweepers and a great Physical Wall.
Skarmory @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird / Taunt

This set lets you setup spikes while also taking hits and phasing. As for the last slot, I would definitely recommend Brave Bird as taunt makes you prime taunt bait for setup sweepers.
Anyways thats just my 2 cents on the matter. Good luck with the team!

Wow, thanks for the input. The advice really helped. My team has changed a lot up to now, and is doing much better.

I think I made this topic way too early though, so I'll just let it die quietly after this post.

(if anyone was curious I peaked ~1560 with this team, and am closing in on 1700 with my current one)

Dont let the thread die and also for your breloom problem i see you dont have a mega so id like to suggest m-venu as its a very bulky grass type it has reliable recovery and it can stall the crap out of a lot of things and do everything that u use breloom for

Dont let the thread die and also for your breloom problem i see you dont have a mega so id like to suggest m-venu as its a very bulky grass type it has reliable recovery and it can stall the crap out of a lot of things and do everything that u use breloom for
Yeah, I considered it. While it is nice and bulky, I needed something that can benefitthe rest of my team.

At the moment I'm using the same Infernape and Garchomp, but now I'm using:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SDef
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

I NEEED the taunt and Whirlwind. Skarmory isn't really fast enough to taunt, but I can at least use it minimize the ammountsof buffs/whatever they can do, or just whirlwind. Might take Stealth Rock off of Infernape and replace Taunt, further testing needed.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Calm Mind

Decently bulky and Calm Mind can fixt that while also making a somewhat offensive threat. Heal Bell and Wish are the most important part of this though.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Two scarf users, you say? Both 4xweak to ice, you say? Well... ummm... Next Pokemon!

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Tail Glow

Self explanitory. After a Tail Glow or 2 this thing wreks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)